Michael Jordan & Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diemen

Resident Photo Buff
Staff member
I'm not all that enthusiastic about MJ's return. I think it's fantastic that he's donating his entire salary to the relief effort, but I think he needs to decide what he wants.

"I'm retiring. No wait, I'm coming back. Ok, now I'm retiring. No, no - wait! I'm coming back! Ok, ok, ok...THIS time I'm retiring for good!... ... ...NO - WAIT!"
rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif

Do you always know what you want to do from one year to the next? Do you ever change your mind? I for one, change my mind all the time. I've changed my mind as to what career I want to pursue more times than I care to count. Would you want people telling you "you have to decide what you want" every time you change your mind? MJ is the greatest basketball player in history, and if he chooses to return and give it another shot, he has every right to, even if he ultimately falls on his face (which I highly doubt would happen). This is his last opportnunity. I think he should be commnended for not staying retired just because he was scared it might ruin his legacy...

Originally posted by Hitman:
Is Michael Jordan the only guy in WORLD that is as cool as Bono?

Well, I hear that there are these three guys named Edge, Adam Clayton, and Larry Mullen...they're supposed to be pretty cool.

------------------
Trust In God...But Lock Your Doors

Originally posted by Bonochick:
Well, I hear that there are these three guys named Edge, Adam Clayton, and Larry Mullen...they're supposed to be pretty cool.

I love U2 more than any band on the planet but I'm sure even those 3 would admit they are not on MJ's level. Not that that's an insult, because Bono is probably one of the only 2 or 3 people in the world on the level of MJ's coolness....

Originally posted by Hitman:
I love U2 more than any band on the planet but I'm sure even those 3 would admit they are not on MJ's level. Not that that's an insult, because Bono is probably one of the only 2 or 3 people in the world on the level of MJ's coolness....

Everyone has their own definition of cool though. It's one of those opinion things.

Damn opinions...seems that they are everywhere these days...

------------------
Trust In God...But Lock Your Doors

Originally posted by Diemen:
I'm not all that enthusiastic about MJ's return. I think it's fantastic that he's donating his entire salary to the relief effort, but I think he needs to decide what he wants.

"I'm retiring. No wait, I'm coming back. Ok, now I'm retiring. No, no - wait! I'm coming back! Ok, ok, ok...THIS time I'm retiring for good!... ... ...NO - WAIT!"
rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif

I agree w/Diemen
MJ has been in and out of the NBA about as much as Ross Perot has been in/out of Pres.Elections.
Besides that Karl Malone has bigger muscles and a handle on his addictions.

Late
D
B

------------------
"..it's about breaking barriers, transcending boundries and conquering great divides"-Bono 1987

---------
An open letter to Bono from myself www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

I'll go with the 'ruining the legacy' thing. Though I don't believe a guy 38 or older can rock and roll, it's a bit long in the tooth to be playing basketball. He will not be able to endure with the stamina of his prime, and he will have lost a step, and not be able to fly through the air with his tongue hanging out anymore. AIR Jordan will be somewhat grounded. Sadly, many sports stars outplay their bodies' abilities and end up riding a bench in obscurity on a team other than the one they saw glory with. Better to keep the memory as it was than to have the last thing people see of this great champion to be an older, winded less than excellent player on a struggling team. I admire what he is trying to do, but I think it is a mistake. It's why Led Zeppelin never toured again despite their renewed popularity in the later 80's. There is something to leaving the legacy as it was.

I want to point out that I do NOT feel that way about U2! This recent tour has improved their legacy, and gained them a higher status of greatness than they would have had if they had not done it. I also believe U2 could and continue to tour at least another 10-15 years, maybe more!
smile.gif

As usual, you are all forgetting one simple fact. It is Michael's life and he feels like playing basketball. Rather than sitting and pondering what everyone will think about him when he does not live up to these impossibly high expectations, Mike will be enjoying his life, doing what he loves to do. If only we all had the chance to do what we loved on a given day. Wouldn't you do what you loved to do every single day if you could? I know I would. That is called making the most of one's life, which is far more beautiful to behold than any last shot or perfect ending.

If you watched Mike since 1984, you do not need to sum it all up in one last shot. You already have enough lasting memories for 10 lifetimes. So, while all of you sit and nod your head in disapproval, when Mike does not live up to your expectations, I will lay back and relax with a smile. Why? Because I see a man who is living his life to the fullest, and trying to enjoy himself. Not everything is about winning and losing, especially when you have already been there, and done that. Maybe he just wants to play for fun now, or for the challenge of teaching a bad team to be decent.

Screw legacy, screw lore. He already has it folks. It is time to watch the master. Maybe he will teach some of you a well deserved lesson.

AJ

Originally posted by diamondbruno9:

Besides that Karl Malone has bigger muscles and a handle on his addictions.

scoreboard?

------------------
Sometimes the most powerful thing you can do for someone is to just tell them to fuck off. I am told to fuck off rather a lot by these three gentlemen.

ill have to let this out i was and still am a jordan fan, played alot of basketball and still do sometimes.i was a jordan fan before i ever heard of u2 and bono but they came along and now im a huge u2 and bono fan but MJ will bring the basket ball excitement that it is missing.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.

First of all, I am must say I am thrilled that MJ is coming back. As the greatest of all time, it really pisses me off when reporters criticize his comeback...it's his life, let him do what he wants!! No one should be criticized for doing what they love to do.

Second of all, I think MJ is going to lead the Wiz to about 45 wins this year, and next year, I say they sign a quality free agent, Kwame Brown steps it up and they challenge for the NBA crown. How's that for a legacy....

Finally, for the U2 content. Is Michael Jordan the only guy in WORLD that is as cool as Bono?

------------------
You Just Can't Get Enough Of That Lovey Dovey Stuff...

Originally posted by Hawk269:
As usual, you are all forgetting one simple fact. It is Michael's life and he feels like playing basketball. Rather than sitting and pondering what everyone will think about him when he does not live up to these impossibly high expectations, Mike will be enjoying his life, doing what he loves to do. If only we all had the chance to do what we loved on a given day. Wouldn't you do what you loved to do every single day if you could? I know I would.
AJ

I couldn't sum up the arguement any better than this. How mad would you be if someone told you what you were doing was "wrong" if you were simply doing it because it was what you wanted to do. This is what will make Michael Jordan happy...so, in the end, that is the only thing that matters, not some stupid legacy that sportwriters are concerned with

legacy shmegacy

if he wants to do it, i say go for it. considering his abilities, i think he can still compete with today's younger players. that is, if he is 100% fit.

i read he played on training and apparently he kicked some young butt!
(aka made a fool of some young players with his skills)

------------------
"be uncool, yes be awkward" - Always

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 09-29-2001).]

Michael Jordan is no Larry Bird!

OK, I guess he's ALMOST as good as #33.

And Bono is THE COOLEST, but too short to play B-ball. But who cares?? He makes up for his lack of height in 'other areas'!!

Originally posted by U2Kitten:
... Though I don't believe a guy 38 or older can rock and roll ...

The Stones, Elton John, Billy Joel, Rod Stewart, Phil Collins, AC/DC, Eric Clapton

I dont believe a guy 38 or younger can rock and roll

------------------
Imagine
//oo\\

http://eliv8.fws1.com/

Michael Jordan cool? Jordan is a magnificent
basketball player and he's certainly a handsome man but off the court he's got to be the dullest and least charismatic man in the history of popular entertainment. Quick, let me in on ONE controversial or at least fascinating statement you've ever heard from the man. One insight at least. Can't be done because he knows any controversy would hurt his market appeal. People who worry that much about their market appeal and advertising clout remind me more of Britney Spears than they do of Bono.

MP

p.s.- If MJ wants to come back and play ball then good for him. It's his legacy after all and it's not our place to worry about it. If he's having fun and if the fans enjoy seeing him again then I'm cool with it. Magic Johnson's brief comeback didn't hurt him in my eyes even though he was a shadow of the player he once was.
I just wish Jordan hadn't spent months of teasing the media and his fans with the possibility of a comeback. It was all about ego stroking and hype.

Two reasons why Bono is cooler than MJ:

1. Bono doesn't travel every time he drives to the basket.

2. Bono actually happens to know what's going on in the outside world and occasionally tries to do something about it. MJ looks out for one person--MJ (I guess that's not quite true anymore, since he's donating his first year's salary to victims of the 9/11 massacre, but it's certainly been true of the rest of his career).

(double post--ignore)

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 09-29-2001).]

What is up with the MJ bashing here?

Talking about travelling? I suppose it is a major travel when he nails a backdown fadeaway on 3 defenders. I would love to see you or any current NBA player have an unstoppable shot like that. Woops, that would imply that you knew something about basketball (my bad).

Mike may not be Bono when it comes to social issues, but he does set an example of what it means to conduct yourself with dignity and class. Here is a guy who never celebrates in other players' faces, brags, or jumps around every time he scores a point. While every other player would sit out during injury or ill health, Jordan played and played hard. I respect that. If anyone here had one hundreth of Jordan's will to compete and win, I might just give some credibility to what you are saying. The man played with every ounce of God given talent, heart, and soul that he had.

You can disrespect a lot of guys for not jumping in the social issue arena. So why choose MJ? I suppose he is an easy target, being the greatest athlete of the 20th century. I do not sit on my ass and judge the wrong people. So get off your high horses and paint your bullseye on more worthy targets.

AJ

I don't see the point of comparing musicians to sportsmen anyway. And why do people bag people like MJ or Pete Sampras for being "not charismatic enough" off court, or not making insightful social comments or whatever? About the only thing I expect from the professional sportsmen is to be bloody spectacular at what they do and behave with dignity and respect towards the others.

Originally posted by Hawk269:
What is up with the MJ bashing here?

Talking about travelling? I suppose it is a major travel when he nails a backdown fadeaway on 3 defenders. I would love to see you or any current NBA player have an unstoppable shot like that. Woops, that would imply that you knew something about basketball (my bad).

What is up with the speedracer bashing here? Anybody who has ever watched me play basketball (probably none of you) would agree that I suck, so it really doesn't need to be mentioned here. But I play sports enough and watch basketball enough to know that MJ gets away with plenty of travels and fouls and draws a lot of spurious fouls (many premier offensive players receive this kind of treatment, but Jordan more so than others).

Mike may not be Bono when it comes to social issues, but he does set an example of what it means to conduct yourself with dignity and class. Here is a guy who never celebrates in other players' faces, brags, or jumps around every time he scores a point. While every other player would sit out during injury or ill health, Jordan played and played hard. I respect that. If anyone here had one hundreth of Jordan's will to compete and win, I might just give some credibility to what you are saying. The man played with every ounce of God given talent, heart, and soul that he had.

Well, the thread did ask for a comparison of MJ and Bono, so I think it's fair to mention that MJ keeps away from most major social issues. Other athletes like Magic Johnson and Jim Brown have publicly chastised him for this. You can bet Nike would have listened if Jordan told them that he didn't approve of the working conditions in its overseas factories.

And as for conducting himself with dignity and class, I'd agree--EXCEPT when a referee dares to make a call against him. I'm sure you've seen Jordan lambaste a referee for making a call against him before--he gives them the kind of treatment that would get Rasheed Wallace suspended. Jordan would still be the greatest basketball player of all time if he didn't receive special treatment from the refs, and it's pathetic to see him launching a tirade against a ref who has called him for traveling. But I guess that's a relatively minor complaint--most of the time he is the ideal competitor and doesn't bother the referees.

Again, I'm not sure why you're assailing me for not being even 1% as competitive as Jordan, so I'll mention that I've played high-level ultimate frisbee in weather that would get a lot of other professional sporting events cancelled. Will that restore to me any shred of credibility?

You can disrespect a lot of guys for not jumping in the social issue arena. So why choose MJ? I suppose he is an easy target, being the greatest athlete of the 20th century. I do not sit on my ass and judge the wrong people. So get off your high horses and paint your bullseye on more worthy targets.

I guess it's mostly a matter of expecting good things from those who have the power to do good things. You're right, he is quite possibly the greatest athlete of the 20th century, and he could be using his immense popularity, power and wealth to do a lot of good. And he is an easy target--nobody's going to complain about Pete Sampras not doing enough to help needy people because he isn't 1% as prominent as Jordan is.

If you don't believe that celebrities have any social obligations at all other than to perform well and obey the law, then that's your valid opinion, and I guess I can't really argue with you. But if you're like me and you think that they should use the power, attention and money that fans lavish upon them and put it to good use, then you should realize that MJ doesn't quite live up to this ideal.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 09-30-2001).]

I am kind of siding with the people who are backing MJ here... My reasoning? Mario Lemieux... Yes thats right, Im a hockey fan. A Pittsburgh Penguin fan no less. Why did Mario come back? For the love of the game, and to help his team. Why is Micheal coming back? For the love of the game, and to help his team. I see nothing wrong with it, they are free to do as they choose, and if you start bashing someone for making a major life desicion that you dont approve of, just wait until someone does it to you and then deal with how you feel about it. 'nough said.

------------------
"And this happy little fellow is the gouger!"

i am glad mj is coming back. i'll get to see him play for two more years. he'll still be good, and have a couple of great performances but the best part will be seeing vince carter dunk on him, iverson blow by him (again), ray allen drain threes in his eye, and kevin garnett block his shot. i am gald he's coming back, but the simple fact is he will not be the best player in the league, and it will be fun to watch the stars of the league remind him of that.

------------------
jp
what shall i render unto the Lord for all his benefits toward me? i will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord.

I don't think Michael should come back. But that's just me.

On the other hand, my personal hero since the age of 4, Charles Barkley has said that if Michael comes back, then he will too. But Charles hasn't played in a few years. He's probably put on 50 more pounds.
tongue.gif

------------------
All I need are some tasty waves, cool buzz, and I'm fine.

I'm always happy to offer an outside view on American issues. So tell me this - did Michael Jordan get a big party every time he quit... and maybe also one every time he came back? Because in that case, you can't really blame the guy, can you?

Back
Top Bottom