'Miami' probably Larry's coolest drumming ever...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Introduction really kicks ass... there's so much funk in this song, that you can't help but air drum to it.

Too bad that Miami itself isn't that great of a song, but the drumming is probably the best work he's done since With Or Without You.

even if it was his best since With Or Without You (and i'm by no means saying it was), that doesn't make it "Larry's coolest drumming ever", War was probably his best album (significantly the best imo)...the drumming on Like a Song is :drool: :drool: and all of that album is much better drumming than miami which is pretty boring...to me at least.

All of pop was pre recorded on drum machines while larry was recovering.

vaz02 said:
All of pop was pre recorded on drum machines while larry was recovering.

close, but Bono's been in hiding since his throat surgery in '99.

The public only deals with Clone Bono.

Ellay said:
Miami Live - definitely Bono and Edges best dog impressions.

Bono reminded me more of a seal than a dog though.

Then again, we all know how vicious harbor seals once they get a taste for blood, right Buster?

Miami for me was one of the highlights of the POPMART tour. And al agree wi reggie, the drum riff has been heavily influenced by zeps When the levee breaks. that struck me the moment I heard it way back then.

mofo82 said:
I'd have to go with 'I Threw A Brick Through A Window' for best overall Larry-song. He makes that song what it is more than any other bandmate :yes:

Yes, I am quoting myself because I'd like to know if anyone agrees with my suggestion that 'Brick' is a one of Larry's greatest drum tracks. By the way, 'Brick' is off a little known U2 album called October, you know, the really underrated one that is the dustiest, least played U2 album you own, if you even own it :wink: But really, I'd like to know what other people think of it.

mofo82 said:

Yes, I am quoting myself because I'd like to know if anyone agrees with my suggestion that 'Brick' is a one of Larry's greatest drum tracks. By the way, 'Brick' is off a little known U2 album called October, you know, the really underrated one that is the dustiest, least played U2 album you own, if you even own it :wink: But really, I'd like to know what other people think of it.

Some people love October. Yeah, it's a great song...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Some people love October. Yeah, it's a great song...

It's not so much that I love October, but it was the last album I gave a listen to and I was really suprised by 'Brick', 'Fire' and 'Gloria'. I just happen to think that Larry's best drum performance gets lost in the abyss that is 'October'

the rockin edge said:
even if it was his best since With Or Without You (and i'm by no means saying it was), that doesn't make it "Larry's coolest drumming ever"

"Probably Larry's coolest drumming ever." I'd love to see that sort of thing on an album cover. Or, "Edge kicks major arse on this one...watch out Clapton!" Ok, I take that back.

Miami is pretty cool, but the loops, as mentioned, aren't really the definitive take on Larry's drumming. However, the song itself is definitely a great example of U2's creativity at the time.

mofo82 said:

It's not so much that I love October, but it was the last album I gave a listen to and I was really suprised by 'Brick', 'Fire' and 'Gloria'. I just happen to think that Larry's best drum performance gets lost in the abyss that is 'October'

I concur :up:

I think some of Larry's greatest drumming is on October so I definitely agree with you, mofo82! Just listen to that solo section in Rejoice with headphones on...that part's pure gold. Larry did some really interesting stuff on that album. They weren't just your standard 4/4 rock beats. The stuff he came up with was very dynamic. Added flavour to the music. Personally speaking, I think mostly everything Larry has done from Zooropa and onwards has just been plain old time keeping with a few programmed loops thrown in here and there.

Back
Top Bottom