Miami - like it or hate it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Catman said:
Worst U2 song ever...

If by worst, you mean 'most ballsy' then I agree with you. Songs like Mofo and Miami epitomize the adventurous U2 that I fell in love with in the 90s! :heart:

^^^ See, I dig "MoFo" and pretty much everything off of Passengers (proving that I, too, can enjoy U2's experimental side)... but "Miami" is simply not a good song. I don't care that there's no hook or melody - the song just sucks. I'm also a guy that tends to pay attention to a song's lyrics, and once again, the lyrics to Maimi are AWFUL. Seriously, I think Bono was high when he wrote it. Granted, if a song is bouncy and fun musically, I can let go and enjoy the song for what it is. But Miami just rambles on and on... just not a very interesting piece of work except for perhaps a few phat beats, but that can only take a song so far :tsk:

And no, I also don't think the song is "ballsy" at all - MOFO is ballsy. Miami is just a track to take up space. I'm sure U2 could've come up with SOMETHING better and more interesting to squeeze between "Gone" and "The Playboy Mansion" had they more time to work on the record.

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:
I love Miami. You haters can go listen to Heartland and cry emo tears k thx.

:lmao:

you're my hero

Miami is great. I always loved the album version, but when I heard the live version I was surprised at how much it was improved! The riff is brought out so much more. Rock 'n roll! :rockon:

jonnytakeawalk said:
it's all about the vibe! Great summer song I reckon!

Exactly! It's got such a cool vibe to it... as Pla once perfectly described... it makes the city of Miami come alive in your mind. Plus it's got the amazing off beat drum bass intro! That's what got my attention to this song in the first place! The beat is soooooo catchy, so addictive! The 'car chase' guitar makes it even better... like you're speeding on a highway in Florida, full throttle! :rockon: Not to mention.. the Levee Breaks type drums in the bridge.. and that great synth line that runs throughout! :drool: God, I love this song!

:up:

All about the vibe...takes you right back to the spring of 1997.

And while the riff is BIG(especially live), I also love what comes after the riff - that slow, hazy, progression right after the chorus. It has that coming-down-from-being-high kind of vibe too it. That's the feeling I get anyway.

Catman said:
^^^ See, I dig "MoFo" and pretty much everything off of Passengers (proving that I, too, can enjoy U2's experimental side)... but "Miami" is simply not a good song. I don't care that there's no hook or melody - the song just sucks. I'm also a guy that tends to pay attention to a song's lyrics, and once again, the lyrics to Maimi are AWFUL. Seriously, I think Bono was high when he wrote it. Granted, if a song is bouncy and fun musically, I can let go and enjoy the song for what it is. But Miami just rambles on and on... just not a very interesting piece of work except for perhaps a few phat beats, but that can only take a song so far :tsk:

And no, I also don't think the song is "ballsy" at all - MOFO is ballsy. Miami is just a track to take up space. I'm sure U2 could've come up with SOMETHING better and more interesting to squeeze between "Gone" and "The Playboy Mansion" had they more time to work on the record.

Catman that's pretty much word for word everything I wanted to say when I started reading comments about if you don't like Miami you must not like experimental U2. 90's U2 > 80's U2 but because I don't like Miami it's been suggested that myself and others must not like the "ballsy, experiemntal, 90's U2". Hell there's nothing ballsy about Miami, and even if there was I'm sure as hell not gonna like it based on that alone. Something has to be good for me to like it regardless of it's "ballsy" content.

I think U2 should go over any future songs containing the name of a city in the title with a fine tooth comb. Just to make sure they actually have a winner next time. :wink:

I still enjoy it 10X's better live though. :yes:

rjhbonovox said:
The guys that give a thumbs down or dislike Miami intensely are often the same people that hate experimental U2 and most of the 90's. Give them the coke riff and there verrrrrrrrrrry happy.

Wrong, Sherlock Holmes.

I hated it for years and basically ignored it because I was so convinced it was shit. I automatically skipped it every time.

Then one day I gave it another try and really liked it.

The album version still sounds a little flat compared to the rest of the greatness that is Pop, but it's not a bad song at all. The live version was completely awesome.

Miami. good stuff. :drool:

i am suprised with ll of the positive feedback it has gotten! I honestly can say though that I don't mind the lyrics. I don't love them but i don't hate them. At times they describe his thoguths on Miami but at times it doesn't make sense. I love it! :drool:

I would let Miami have my baby, Baby.

I think all the haters have it confused with that load of nonsense known as "The Playboy Mansion."

getupoffurknees said:
I honestly can say though that I don't mind the lyrics. I don't love them but i don't hate them. At times they describe his thoguths on Miami but at times it doesn't make sense. I love it! :drool:

Yeah I agree. They're not Bono's best lyrics by a long shot, but I never had a problem with them, and they fit the song. Now that I think of it the song has an almost Lou Reed kinda vibe...the way Bono sorta speaks the lyrics. It's badass.

Back
Top Bottom