Miami isn't that bad...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMScoopy

Refugee
Since i spent spring break in Miami, i felt it necessary to take a good listen to the song Miami again. After listening a few times, i realized it is quite good, no streets, but still pretty underrated (even though i hate using that word, dont know how else to put it.) Definatly one of U2's more interesting songs. If you think about it, the song is quite like dirty day, quiet and then builds into a loud jam.

Discuss.

Last edited:
I love Miami. Used to hate it. :up: It's all in the bass and drums.

JMScoopy said:
:yes:

don't know why the song gets the shit end of the stick a lot.

I think it probably has something to do with the lyrics and the delivery. Musically, I think it's top notch but I do think (on the album, at least) Bono's a bit weak.

Miami rocks like very few other U2 songs do! The offbeat drum and bass intro simply shows the creativity of a band that became better than themselves! I like U2 but I prefer the band that they transformed into in the 90s with Achtung thru Pop.

I actually like it, and I've never heard it live... my least favorite song on Pop is "The Playboy Mansion"

Zootlesque said:
Miami rocks like very few other U2 songs do! The offbeat drum and bass intro simply shows the creativity of a band that became better than themselves! I like U2 but I prefer the band that they transformed into in the 90s with Achtung thru Pop.

wait, if they weren't U2 in the 90's, then who the fuck were they? That 90's Band That Made Those Cool Albums? :wink:

nahh I know what you're saying though, the 90's stuff just has this totally different feel... but it's still U2. I mean, Pop was what initially defined U2 for me. When someone says U2 I don't think of The Joshua Tree, I think of Pop. Plus there is something about U2's music, some feeling that is present in every album. The magic. It's more prevalent in some than others, but I think it's in every album.

:drool:

It took me a looooooong time to like Miami. I hated it because I saw it as this Irish man coming into my city and completely missing the point of it. Nothing of what he talks about can be found in Miami itself. Pink shirts, southern accents, cheap petrol. :wink:
But then I went on a cruise and saw Miami Beach from a tourist's standpoint. And I finally saw how Bono saw it.
It's kind of unfair to title it Miami though, since it's really Miami Beach/South Beach he's talking about.

If he's visited Little Havana he should definitely know that Southern accents do not dominate this region. :wink:

And it's more like "cigars and dominoes" really.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Almost every time I listen to Miami, I get a very strange urge to go get knocked up in a photo booth in Miami.
It is a very good thing I live very far away from that city :yes:

getting knocked up in a photo booth in Miami...
by Bono :drool:

:shifty:

yeah, it's sort of a sexy song. Miami, The Playboy Mansion, and If You Wear That Velvet Dress all have sort of this sexy groove... Miami is more fun, more playful, more rock 'n roll. Playboy Mansion is R&B somewhat...it reminds me of Tryin' to Throw. And Velvet Dress is pure sex, subtle and beautiful :drool:

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Almost every time I listen to Miami, I get a very strange urge to go get knocked up in a photo booth in Miami.
It is a very good thing I live very far away from that city :yes:

:flirt:

Miami is a great song. Those who bash it can go back to listening to Smile...

...tards.

JMScoopy said:
:yes:

don't know why the song gets the shit end of the stick a lot.

I think because of the lyrics. Thank you Bono, my mammy.

Guitar, bass, drums.:drool:
A cool loop and an excellent synth bit going throughout.

Live, this song is a bad motherfucker, in a good way.

2 major differences Live vs. Album.

Live, Edge carries those giant chords through, from one measue to the next. They're not processed through a sampler like on the record. Raw and gigantic.

Larry. In the 1st chorus of the album version he disappears. Big beat be gone. Not so live. He explodes live.

Oh yeah. Bono goes bonkers live.

A nice song, but it's all in the guitar riff. The studio riff is limp, while live it's a raging Led Zeppelin beast.

Miami live :drool: .

Yes, Miami is a dandy.

But then again so is the entire record.

I've only heard it live once I believe, anyone care to do a ysi?

Wow.

I don't think I'm gonna be able to see the album version the same way anymore. It definitely pales in comparison.

inmyplace13 said:
Wow.

I don't think I'm gonna be able to see the album version the same way anymore. It definitely pales in comparison.

Pretty good, eh?

That and Mofo live (from the same concert), they are just monsters.

The sun shines east, the sun shines west. I know where the sun shines best, MIAMI...!

Back
Top Bottom