MERGED ----> ZOO TV DVD Hits Amazon + ZOO TV DVD info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WalkOn21 said:
Why is everyone so certain that it's going to be released? There have been exactly zero official announcements about it. Everyone's just assuming they're going to release it, because, "they have filmed it, right? Who in their right mind would not release something that has been filmed?"

The San Diego shows were pro-shot too, does anyone think they will have a DVD release? No? Then tell me, why would the Milan show have a DVD release.

Well, I already have the San Diego show on DVD!:wink:

tuwie said:
^____________^ omg! yay

is this the show the day after adam missed one?

Yes

Now I come to a thought , maybe they didnt put the Zoo 92 songs , coz perhaps they want to keep the style of 2 dvds / by tour . Who knows they saved the songs for a Outside Broadcast or a Zooropa DVD . Otherwise there would be no excuse to left so many songs that werent performed on the zoomerang shows out.

One Question , People you remember last year , Chicago's DVD , which had been announced in the unofficial sites having among the extras

Miracle Drug
All Because of You
(Taken from HQ 2004)

But it ended up with an alternate video of Sometimes , did U2.com also put this new and change after , or since from it's official announcement it said Alt video for Sometimes .....

Something tells me , that this info about the Extra Songs are not definite.

Shazam!

38393510s0qw.gif

*saves money for ZooTV goodness*

WalkOn21 said:

It'd better be 16:9, or... :madwife:

It wasn't filmed in HiDef, or with film, so I fully think this will be in it's original aspect ratio (Which is what you want) as 4:3.

Chrisedge said:

It wasn't filmed in HiDef, or with film, so I fully think this will be in it's original aspect ratio (Which is what you want) as 4:3.

I agree with the HD part, but do we know for a fact that is was filmed in 4:3 and not movie film ratio?

That's almost nothing mate

You should only use :rockon: :rockon:

if there was

Desire , UV, Classic WOWY , Bad , I still Haven't , Wild Horses ,

ntalwar said:
I agree with the HD part, but do we know for a fact that is was filmed in 4:3 and not movie film ratio?

Yes, as it was filmed specifically for television. In fact, the concert was broadcasted (almost) live on a pay-per-view channel.

And oh, in those days there weren't any 16:9 TVs, so TV = 4:3.

Popmartijn said:

Yes, as it was filmed specifically for television. In fact, the concert was broadcasted (almost) live on a pay-per-view channel.

And oh, in those days there weren't any 16:9 TVs, so TV = 4:3.

Correct, but I used to rent other VHS tapes of movies filmed at a flatter ratio (2.35:1) that were converted to 4:3 for the VHS.
I have 16:9 now, so I guess I'll have to use one of the widescreen modes or 4:3.

ntalwar said:

Well, it was done for the PPV (video), and was issued on VHS and Laserdisc in 4:3 when Rattle and Hum (film) was issued letterboxed on laserdisc. I'm 99.99% sure it was done on video so it would be in 4:3.

Chrisedge said:

While many people think that 16:9 must mean it's either filmed in HD or shot on film, that isn't true. Many European tv shows have been in 16:9 for years, shot on video and broadcasted standard def. Look at the BBC.

Also, the 'fan cam' footage on the Boston DVD is 16:9. Clearly this 'fan' isn't holding a film camera or a HD camera.

It's entirely possible and a bit unfortunate, but the 4:3 original video could be matted for the 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio. This would suck because it would crop the top and bottom of the original picture. In addition, since it wasn't filmed in HD, the image would probably look pretty rough. Hopefully, they'll simply leave the image aspect ration alone and uncropped and let viewers deal with the various options of viewing it on HD monitors (zooming in, black bars on sides, etc).

T.B.

WalkOn21 said:
While many people think that 16:9 must mean it's either filmed in HD or shot on film, that isn't true. Many European tv shows have been in 16:9 for years, shot on video and broadcasted standard def. Look at the BBC.

Also, the 'fan cam' footage on the Boston DVD is 16:9. Clearly this 'fan' isn't holding a film camera or a HD camera.

That is usually either compressed with lenses and then uncompressed, or cropped 4:3 video to make it psudo lbx.

My camcorder can shoot 16:9 non-hi def footage, so I do realize that is an option...but not in this case.

Partyslammer said:
It's entirely possible and a bit unfortunate, but the 4:3 original video could be matted for the 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio. This would suck because it would crop the top and bottom of the original picture.

The last 2 official DVDs have been 16:9, and I don't think the cropping would cause any critical video to be lost. 4:3 stuff is a little annoying to watch on a 16:9 TV. I hope they do 16:9 with cropping.

Partyslammer said:
It's entirely possible and a bit unfortunate, but the 4:3 original video could be matted for the 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio. This would suck because it would crop the top and bottom of the original picture.
If it would suck depends on how the matting is done.
If they would just place two static black bars over the video, it would probably be bad, with cropped off heads and such.
On the other hand, they could use tilt & scan. In this process the cropping is decided on a frame-by-frame basis. If done properly, there will be no decapitated band members.

My widescreen tv doesn't display 4:3 that well, so I hope for a 16:9 DVD. But I can understand others have their own preferences.

WalkOn21 said:
In this process the cropping is decided on a frame-by-frame basis. If done properly, there will be no decapitated band members.

My widescreen tv doesn't display 4:3 that well, so I hope for a 16:9 DVD. But I can understand others have their own preferences.

Yeah - that's what I was thinking. I think they can crop off legs instead of heads. And if this is to be the official ZooTV DVD for the next 20+ years, 4:3 will be obsolete eventually anyway. Plus, as I mentioned, 16:9 has been the standard on the last 2 DVDs. 4:3 has an amateurish feel to it IMO.

Chrisedge said:
I'll take OAR please (4:3) even though I have a beautiful 16:9 set!

I agree.

To those that think they'd prefer a matted 16:9 image, understand that when the video was originally shot, the compositions were photographed with 4:3 viewing in mind. So if the original video is matted for widescreen tvs, no matter how carefully someone even shot by shot tries to get a decent composition, it's still not going to look right and in some instances will undoubtably looks screwed up and distracting.

Also, as I mentioned previously, a non HD matted 16:9 video will have to be upscaled and it will be noticably grainier on *any* tv then any true HD video such as the recent Chicago dvd. I'd say again, just release it as it was originally shot.

Bigger is sometimes not better.

T.B.

To those that think they'd prefer a matted 16:9 image, understand that when the video was originally shot, the compositions were photographed with 4:3 viewing in mind. So if the original video is matted for widescreen tvs, no matter how carefully someone even shot by shot tries to get a decent composition, it's still not going to look right and in some instances will undoubtably looks screwed up and distracting.

Also, as I mentioned previously, a non HD matted 16:9 video will have to be upscaled and it will be noticably grainier on *any* tv then any true HD video such as the recent Chicago dvd. I'd say again, just release it as it was originally shot.

Bigger is sometimes not better.

Listen to this man. He seems to be the only voice of reason around here.

Are you people honestly trying to tell me that you would rather have half of the original image completely removed just so that it will fit on your precious widescreen TV? That would completely destroy the original artistic vision of the director not to mention that you loose HALF OF YOUR ORIGINAL PICTURE!!!

To even entertain the thought is ascinine!

You must be the some people who buy the crappy "fullscreen" versions of DVDs because of those "annoying" black bars on top and bottom.

I give up.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why people seem to think converting aspect ratios is never done. It's very common for Hollywood films, etc. without noticeable loss of resolution.

In fact, for the upcoming Pink Floyd Pulse DVD, they tried to convert it to widescreen. And this statement was released for Pink Floyd Pulse:
One of the common questions we've had is over the screen format. It is being presented in 4:3 format... attempts were made to create a good widescreen picture, but as it was originally shot in 4:3, this proved difficult. Decisions were then made to revert to 4:3 (standard television shape).

So don't tell me it's never tried.
And the Chicago DVD is not true HD. It will only be true HD when released on HD-DVD or BluRay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom