MERGED --> which bands dislike u2 + George Harrison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2-rock-rock

The Fly
George Harrison

he didn't like U2 all that much. This is old news, by the way, but what do you guys think of it?

"Asked whether he enjoys groups such as Oasis, U2 and TEXAS, Harrison snorts, "Rubbish! They aren't very interesting. It's OK if you're 14 years old. I prefer to listen to BOB DYLAN." He adds, "You know what irritates me about modern music, it's all based on ego. Look at a group like U2. BONO and his band are so egocentric... The more you jump around, the bigger your hat is, the more people listen to your music... The only important thing is to sell, and make money. It's nothing to do with talent." The Beatles, he claims "had a value which will last forever." Harrison explains, "Today there are groups who sell a lot of records and then disappear immediately. Will we remember U2 in 30 years? Or the Spice Girls? I doubt it."

which bands dislike u2

u2 often bear the brunt of other bands snide remarks, who often refer to their "uncool" brand of music or image which probably has roots going back to the earnest joshua tree days, or maybe as far back as the heady era of the mullet (early, mid-80s). Ian brown (former lead singer of the stone roses) once referred to u2 as "jokers", stating that one of the reasons he joined a band was to put out some decent music rather than having to put up with "jokers like u2". It would be interesting to hear what other bands you know of that weren't too keen on u2

Pure jealousy. Hey I love George and the Beatles in particular, but he couldn't stand the fact that people were calling U2 "the Beatles of the 90's" or whatever. Sad, he always seemed so level-headed. I don't understand.

It's possible he was just not that into those bands or up on current music and popular musicians. There are people in my family who think U2 is a passing fancy too who are/were of Harrison's age. Who knows.

It annoys me when people make the mistake of branding the whole band as egocentric, based purely on how they perceive Bono. :tsk:

Echo and the Bunnyman dislike U2, so i've heard.

Well, speaking specifically about George Harrison, he was one of my favourite Beatles. An amazingly talented man, but that doesn't mean that he was an authority on great music.

I don't care what anyone, famous or not, thinks about U2. Their music touches me, and that's all that matters.

George Harrison would've been a gardner if it wasn't for him hooking up with John and Paul.

There, I said it.

Besides, even as the man did have talent, to say u2 wouldn't be remembered in 30 years is downright absurd.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Stars are you in college? That was very profound!!:wink:

Me likey that answer! :huh:

:p

Ok ok, my adult response would be: Anyone that would shit thier pants on purpose in order to try and dodge the draft is someone who's opinion matters little to me.

:p

Last edited:
For every band/artist who dislikes U2, there's probably just as many or even more who love/like them:

Bob Dylan
Robby Robertson
B.B. King
Elvis Costello
Bruce Springsteen
Sting
the guys in R.E.M.
Joey Ramone
Miles Davis (he used to listen to The Unforgettable Fire on his deathbed)
Joan Baez
Elton John
Chris Martin
Fran Healy
Wyclef Jean
Roy Orbison
Pete Townsend
Eddie Vedder
plus a bunch of other people I'm sure I'm forgetting or just don't know about

Moral: I wouldn't get worked up over some band/artist - yes, even one as great as George Harrison - not liking U2.

I wish George hadn't said that thing about no one remembering U2 in 30 years. I feel really old now, as I will remember U2 for 30 years in just over 4 more years. I'm sure some of you are in a similar situation. The only thing we can do to right this wrong is to make sure we do forget the Spice Girls, which I was very close to doing until I read this thread! Remember...and Forget!

Add Kiss to the bands that dislike U2

They said if they had amps like Edge has that they could sound that good too.

And I still have the photo of Bono giving George Harrison the finger at a Popmart concert after his rediculus comment.

Yahweh said:

And I still have the photo of Bono giving George Harrison the finger at a Popmart concert after his rediculus comment.

post the pic!

Imho

The beatles are over rated over short drug induced brit-pop that really meant nothing but was blown all out of proportion.

Kiss is just shock band with a couple of catchy riffs.

They both have nothing on U2

KISS apparently don't understand music or equipment, because it's not Edge's amps that made him sound good, it was the way in which he used an echo/delay pedel.

Dumbasses.

A majority of the people that disliked U2 kind of sucked as musicians anyway, with the exception of George Harrison.

Stone Roses.. They put out one good album and soon became the most overrated band ever, then put out a horrible second album about 6 years later.

Now the Stone Roses singer is a drunk and plays festival shows as a solo artist.. Oh, festival shows featuring 80's artists. IE Kroq's Flashback inland invasion.

I think Echo and the Bunnymen had a little rivavly with U2 in the 80's but that's kind of done with now.

Henry Rollins is really just a dumbass. He's smart, but sometimes smart people can be really stupid as well.

Yahweh said:

Bring on the picture!:drool:

The funny thing about the George Harrison comment is, the way things are going I wonder if U2 will still be making albums 30 years after he made the comment....stranger things have happened.

In science and in medicine I was a stranger you took me in....

Bono's shades said:
For every band/artist who dislikes U2, there's probably just as many or even more who love/like them:

Bob Dylan
Robby Robertson
B.B. King
Elvis Costello
Bruce Springsteen
Sting
the guys in R.E.M.
Joey Ramone
Miles Davis (he used to listen to The Unforgettable Fire on his deathbed)
Joan Baez
Elton John
Chris Martin
Fran Healy
Wyclef Jean
Roy Orbison
Pete Townsend
Eddie Vedder
plus a bunch of other people I'm sure I'm forgetting or just don't know about

Moral: I wouldn't get worked up over some band/artist - yes, even one as great as George Harrison - not liking U2.

Add
Van Morrison
Sammy Hagar
Darius Rucker (or ignore him if you'd like)
Tom Petty

Bon Jovi were playing in Dublin and they covered One, so I guess they are fans too.

I remember that on the show 20 Years of Rock on MTV Europe a few years ago, Red hot chili peppers (Kiedis: "These guys are awesome, you know, they're been together longer than us and they're still here"), Metallica (Lars: "Achtung Baby is one of the best rock albums ever made") and Incubus ("great singer and a very good guitar player") spoke highly of the band.

Also two members of Radiohead were at the London promo show. I'm sure we all remember Billy Corgan's comment after the Irving plaza show: "They're still, the best band in the world." I know Tom Morello likes them and there were members of Rage against the machine at that show too.

I think Bono is friends with Mick Jagger and didn't Paul McCartney praise U2 on the Superbowl show? (or was it Tribute to heroes)

atU2.com has a list of fans and non-fans.

Last edited:
Yahweh said:

Ahh, now that reminds me of a quote ...

"Good people of Yorkshire, George Harrison says you shouldn't be here. It's all big fucking hats and lemons and air. Well, I've one thing for you George: pump it up!"
- Start of EBTTRT, 28 August 1997, Leeds

Back
Top Bottom