MERGED --> which bands dislike u2 + George Harrison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

Ahh, now that reminds me of a quote ...

"Good people of Yorkshire, George Harrison says you shouldn't be here. It's all big fucking hats and lemons and air. Well, I've one thing for you George: pump it up!"
- Start of EBTTRT, 28 August 1997, Leeds

Any chance of being able to hear that Axver?:eyebrow:

:wink:

U2girl said:
Bon Jovi were playing in Dublin and they covered One, so I guess they are fans too.

I think Bono is friends with Mick Jagger and didn't Paul McCartney praise U2 on the Superbowl show? (or was it Tribute to heroes)

Jon Bon Jovi picked Achtung Baby as one of his favourite albums a few years back when interviewed by Q magazine.

Bono recorded a vocal for Mick Jagger's solo album a few years ago.

Niceman said:
Well, it's an old quote, but I still remember Robert Smith saying sometime in the 1990s that he had never liked any U2 or INXS song!

I think Smith also said that you can't suddenly start wearing shades and then be cool when asked about U2.

Axver said:

Ahh, now that reminds me of a quote ...

"Good people of Yorkshire, George Harrison says you shouldn't be here. It's all big fucking hats and lemons and air. Well, I've one thing for you George: pump it up!"
- Start of EBTTRT, 28 August 1997, Leeds

Bono is the greatest:wink:

My intention here is not to invalidate George Harrison's thoughts on U2. Like everyone else, he's entitled to his opinion. He was just in a position that when he gave an opinion people tended to listen to him.

However, I know that when he made the statement about U2, he was dying of brain cancer. He may have been 100% lucent when he said it (and saying whatever he wants when he's dying). Or, there may have been a reporter/interviewer who took advantage of his condition (to get some tabloid headlines).

I got the impression he wasn't all that familiar with U2's music. The comment might have been a reaction to the whole Popmart extravaganza - which even some U2 fans thought was overblown.

George was in many ways the most spiritual of the Beatles and I think if he had listened to some of U2's earlier stuff a bit more he might have liked it.

Sometimes some comments are taken a tad out of context. For example, when U2 had a particularly bad attendance show on the PopMart tour (about 19,000 in New Orleans), Keith Richard declared that "U2 has no audience".

At the time, some of us - myself included - were a bit offended. After all, even the Stones don't sell out all shows (and had some "problems" selling out a few shows in 1997 as well). However, later, Bono recorded with Mick Jagger and Bono was on stage with the Stones during one of their appearances in Chicago. So clearly Richard was having some fun with U2 regarding that relatively poor-selling show (as if 19,000 is really "bad" attendance).

As for Harrison, well... his comment was made in 1997. If this were 1987, one could say that U2 might be a "flash in the pan". But by '97, U2 had several blockbuster albums and had been near the top of their game for a decade. Hence, saying that no one will remember them at that point in U2's career is ludicrous, as was lumping U2 with the Spice Girls (who clearly were a flash in the pan, as most of those types of bands are).

Still, artists are entitled not to like another artist. God knows there are plenty of artists I don't like. ;)

Back
Top Bottom