MERGED --> What is the highest note Bono hits w/o falsetto? + To all key/note experts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
clifedge said:
U2DMfan,

Don't mean to be a bother, but do you have any stats on the high falsetto notes? I really appreciate your input with the other songs. :bow:

No, I don't, but I'd love to find out myself.

On the other hand, what's the lowest note he's ever hit?

The "a glass of water " in Velvet dress?

"with a mouth full of teeth, you ATE all your friends" in Crumbs?

Something from Until the end of the world maybe?

U2girl said:
On the other hand, what's the lowest note he's ever hit?

The "a glass of water " in Velvet dress?

"with a mouth full of teeth, you ATE all your friends" in Crumbs?

Something from Until the end of the world maybe?

I'm curious as to how low Bono sung in the cover of Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart with The Arcade Fire. Considering Ian Curtis sung in such a deep, eerie baritone, Bono must've gotten pretty low, as he doesn't sound ridiculously removed from Curtis, especially in the verses.

back to the high notes, no one mentioned Spanish Eyes - he kind of does this scream that arguably hits the high D so that would make it also the highest nonefalsetto note (one higher than BAD album version.)

The_One1932 said:
In terms of true falsetto, i would say the ending on mysterious ways zootv era during the "i'll show you roses i'll tell you things i'll take you places you've never been" is about as high as he's ever gone, which is then followed by his roaring "cmon love, cmon love" portion, which i consider his strongest singing ever. Listening to the boot from dublin (the famous one thats soundboard quality) is incredible.

Yeah, I just heard that version, amazing falsetto leading up to the non falsetto c'mon love. truly amazing.

During the segue of "Please" into "WTSHNN" is pretty high. I never understood why Bono couldn't sing Red Hill Mining Town??

kristbg said:
I'm pretty sure that Bono's highest falsetto note is either the one Bono did in Mysterious Ways (Zoo Tv Version), or the amazing note Bono hits before "night, night, night and day" in the end of Night And Day.

Anyone care to try to find out what are the lowest notes he's hit? I'm guessing either "Your Blue Room" of "If You Wear That Velvet Dress".

:bump:

So, anyone care to try to find out which notes are those?

How high is the falsetto scream in 1992-06-15 Mysterious Ways?(he sings: no, no aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah) listen to that one.(Time 5:42)

How high is the "fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind" part in Bad(Dublin 1993-08-28) in the time 4:18 of the track? The sound he gets in his voice there is incredible. He never got the sound in the 80s of the "find a way" part.

Does anyone know how high the last wide awake part is in
Bad(2005-09-14).(time 8:43)

You can download these three songs here:
http://download.you send it.com/42A81DE23CF754AF

Also The high falsetto note in Night And Day at the end of the song is the highest I've heard him sing on a studio recording.

Last edited:
In the movie Rattle and Hum (not the album) during Sunday Bloody Sunday, while repeating the "No More" bit, Bono hits a pitch that seems almost inhumanly possible. I can't imagine any recorded vocals of his being higher than that.

If you watch the Making of the Joshua Tree DVD, there is a bit there where Dan is taking about Bono's voice on the album (during Still haven't Found... I believe). It is incredible that Bono recorded all those songs using the full range of his voice without employing a falsetto of any sort. Really great part of the DVD. Check it out.

I think one of the reasons why Bad is my favorite U2 song is the fact that it seems to be song where every single member of U2 come into their own talent perfectly without taking away from one another. The "wide awakes" show that this was a singer with a future. Very powerful non-falsetto singing.

Peterrrrr said:
How high is the falsetto scream in 1992-06-15 Mysterious Ways?(he sings: no, no aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah) listen to that one.(Time 5:42)

How high is the "faaaaaaaaaaaaaade faaaaaaaaade" part in Bad(Dublin 1993-08-28) in the time 4:18 of the track? The sound he gets in his voice there is incredible. He never got the sound in the 80s of the "fade away" part.

Also The high falsetto note in Night And Day at the end of the song is the highest I've heard him sing on a studio recording.

Have someone downloaded this yet?

Last edited:
Peterrrrr said:

How high is the "fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind" part in Bad(Dublin 1993-08-28) in the time 4:18 of the track? The sound he gets in his voice there is incredible. He never got the sound in the 80s of the "find a way" part.

The scream in MW is amazing, indeed. Sounds even higher than the falsettos. You can actually hear the consequences later in the song, when his voice gets a little hoarse... :)

The part that caught my attention is that falsetto snippet after the "fade, fade, fade away" part. Amazing how easily he could reach those falsetto notes.

About the Toronto performace... that one will always sound amazing for me, since I was about 3 meters from Bono that night :drool:

But I think that last "wide awake" is actually lower than the studio version (a semitone, i think, since they play live songs half a step down)... but, then again, I'm no musician, and I'm just guessing :wink:

X-it 7 said:
In the movie Rattle and Hum (not the album) during Sunday Bloody Sunday, while repeating the "No More" bit, Bono hits a pitch that seems almost inhumanly possible. I can't imagine any recorded vocals of his being higher than that.

that's a pitch.. or whatever it's called... he went TOO close to the speaker, causing a .. AHHHHHH, I forgot the name...

anyway, it CAN'T be Bono...

can anyone explain this?

Oh man, that part in Dirty day most certainly sends shivers down my spine Achtung_Bebe! :drool:

Peterrrrr said:

How high is the "faaaaaade faaaaaaaaaade" part in Bad(Dublin 1993-08-28) in the time 4:18 of the track? The sound he gets in his voice there is incredible. He never got the sound in the 80s of the "fade away" part.

U2DMfan said:

C (Red hill, Horses, SHF)

I thought Daniel Lanois said in the making of JT DVD that Still haven't found... is "pushing a B in the chorus"?
It is a C, then?

I'd be interested in hearing about the notes on Rattle and Hum, end of Hawkmoon and When love comes to town in particuar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom