MERGED-->What a bunch of phonies (U2 on TOTP)+U2 not playing live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
why is everybody arguing?

U2 's performance was live obviously,
vertigo's second performance (which was aired) was a playback with just bono live because this is the TOTP policy.
This show should have been cancelled, it's so stupid and insulting, i mean, playbacks? :mad:

Let's wait for tonight's CDUK to get a high quality L I V E version of vertigo..

Hey! Who's gonna hold your wild horses! :huh:
Hehe...Well I just wanted to say, remember the Clarence performance of BD 4 years ago for ToTP?
Bono sang over a backing track!
None of the other guys are playing.
(I think)

Just look at the" teach me love" part at the ending.
There Edge goes into his riff but the sound is still the chorus' power chords!

Maybe this is because U2 hadn't decided on what the song would sound like live.
Great performance btw :D
Both this and the one yesterday
:wink:

Actually I think so far BD is a better live song than Vertigo, hope it'll evolve into something great on CD:UK like Beautiful Day did!

Last edited:
....some of these posts here are driving me crazy

You can believe it....they PLAYED live and they DID a soundcheck....:yes: :yes:

Not that I would have needed any proof that they actually played live (because, like Bono's Tart I WAS there) but Larry's drum stickes where pretty battered!!!!!!!!

To Bono's Tart:
Maybe you should take a close pic of the stick and post it here. I'm sooo sick :yuck: :madspit: of people in here talking crap about things they haven't a clue of and our favorite band.

Re: What a bunch of phonies (U2 on TOTP)

dopper said:
First of all, I'm a big U2 fan. However their "performance" on TOTP was sad. It's one thing to mime in a music video, everyone knows it's an act and there's no attempt at deceipt. But for them to fake it in front of an audience and to advertise this as a live performance, is totally dishonest. This is not something one would expect from a band who view themselves as the world's greatest.

The BD performance was exactly the same. For TV, only the vocal's are live.

I suspect the crowd at the parking actually heard a proper live performance.

Re: ....some of these posts here are driving me crazy

wild honey 7 said:
You can believe it....they PLAYED live and they DID a soundcheck....:yes: :yes:

Not that I would have needed any proof that they actually played live (because, like Bono's Tart I WAS there) but Larry's drum stickes where pretty battered!!!!!!!!

To Bono's Tart:
Maybe you should take a close pic of the stick and post it here. I'm sooo sick :yuck: :madspit: of people in here talking crap about things they haven't a clue of and our favorite band.

Hiya!!

You both got back safely we all had a great time didnt we even after all the panicking!!!:drool:

Leave them all to it I have no idea what they heard on tv as I havent seen it yrt but in that car park it was all live!! If people dont want to believe that then thats fine I dont really care!!

THANKS BONO EDGE LARRY AND ADAM!!! :drool:

they did the same thing last year :shrug:
american bandstand used to do the same thing... have the acts pretend to be playin' their instruments while hte studio recording plays in the back. always fun when the song ends in a fade out while people pretend to be playing it live

:shrug: or they've just gotten reeeeally really good at playing the song that it sounds like the studio recording to a T :shrug: who the hell knows... i imagine the people who were actually there in the flesh would have a better idea, but it certainly sounded like a backing track on the recording.

Last edited:
U2_Neat said:
why is everybody arguing?

Let's wait for tonight's CDUK to get a high quality L I V E version of vertigo..

they are playing tonight again? It wont be on in the states anyway....

i really wish i could have been there. bono's tart did you get any pics? did you catch any bonosweat? :D:drool:
im so sick of hearing about everyone else seeing them and not me:( but i will be seeing just bono speaking next week so im not as bummed as usual:wink:

Re: What a bunch of phonies (U2 on TOTP)

dopper said:
First of all, I'm a big U2 fan. However their "performance" on TOTP was sad. It's one thing to mime in a music video, everyone knows it's an act and there's no attempt at deceipt. But for them to fake it in front of an audience and to advertise this as a live performance, is totally dishonest. This is not something one would expect from a band who view themselves as the world's greatest.

I was blown away by their performance at totp !!!!! U2 is never dishonest to their fans.:no: Please stop being negative. It makes me sad.:sad: They played live and they are the BIGGEST band in the Universe !!!!!!!!!!!:heart: :heart: :heart:

I don't think it was fully "live", but it's immaterial. At this point, I'm sure U2 are still working out how to perform the song live. The good news is that Bono sounded great (especially considering he had a cold as was reported elswhere). I was worried that he wouldn't hit those notes, but he did. :applause: :yes:

My big concern is that Bono's ugly staw Stetson is going to become a fixture on the tour. PLEASE lose that hat. Blech! :madspit:

Haha, Bono sang live with a rerecorded backing. That's half live. So for the ones that are arguing, you all are right!

I love his pimpalicious fur jacket he wore, where can I get one of those? The hat is uncool but the fact that Bono wears it, he makes it cool.

xtal said:
Haha, Bono sang live with a rerecorded backing. That's half live. So for the ones that are arguing, you all are right!

I love his pimpalicious fur jacket he wore, where can I get one of those? The hat is uncool but the fact that Bono wears it, he makes it cool.

Only the live broadcast of Vertigo was backed.

I was actaully AT thar show that Bono was talking about after COBL, (both of them actually) , 2nd row of the Heart. I knoiw exactly what Bono was talking about. People crying allaround me.
First night esp...the chants which every so often drowned out the musc.."USA..USA..."

The strangest thing was the crowd roaring out the words t the acoustic SBS and those lyrics finhally being about US.

I remember Streets. I was there. And I was crying too. Well, I don't cry easily, and it was actually just a lump in the throat and trickle. But those 2 shows had to rank among 20 of the greatest U2 shows of all time.

And I am not surprised he's written about it. Actauuly..is this a first...a U2 xoncert inspiring a CD track...and it now appears that it;s headed for Classic status?

Funny, all the reviews so far said this was one of the musically weaker tracks. Well...we fans know better. I hope! LIVE it is, as all the best U2 songs are, a whole different creature. I'm guessing.

And this is the raw first version, like Walk On was before 9/11. Imagine what this one will grow into by the summer!!!

I have a fovor to ask..If anybody didn;'t tape this off the radio (you BVirts!) I have no shmancy CD burning equipment at home..If I send anybody a blank CD< could you burn a copy for me of the MP3's? I have a U2 audio and video acrchive that dates back 21 yrs. I have managed to get the major events..but I can't get this...

Pretty please...I need something I walk around with a Walkman on....

If anyobdy can help, mail me at:

Spindle40@hotmail.com

I am trying to work a way to get this set up..

My old Prop frends I have lost contact with...so I don't know who to go to get recordings from....

U2_Neat said:

vertigo's second performance (which was aired) was a playback with just bono live because this is the TOTP policy.

Oooh, so it wasn't U2's fault after all... :rolleyes:
Ok, now I can stop being pissed at them. hehe.

For those of you posting that COBL has been reviewed as the weakest track on the album, it is really annoying me!

Two reviews have claimed that CRUMBS FROM YOUR TABLE is the weakest track. NO review has claimed that COBL is a weaker track. There. I said it.

95% of the people who do live shows lip sync so it is not fair to shit on U2 for this however, I completely understand where your frustration is coming from. Speaking from someone who has done some work in film, it is easier to lip sync for editing and re-broadcasting purposes 'cause these shows want to sound good. Most times the mix in the studio is not the greatest and the shows like leno and letterman are broadcasted a few hours later. With that background knowledge that should give some understanding why they lip synced. I doubt that they will do this live so you shouldn't worry to much.

doctorwho said:
My big concern is that Bono's ugly staw Stetson is going to become a fixture on the tour. PLEASE lose that hat. Blech! :madspit:

The hat is ugly, but at least it's partially hiding his truly hideous hair of late. :ohmy:

u2bonogirl said:
i really wish i could have been there. bono's tart did you get any pics? did you catch any bonosweat? :D:drool:
im so sick of hearing about everyone else seeing them and not me:( but i will be seeing just bono speaking next week so im not as bummed as usual:wink:

Yeah we got about 15 really good ones as like I said we were right at the front with our flag!!:wink:

Good luck next week when you see Bono have a great time!!

Tell him his Hull girls plus my 7 year old will see him next Saturday at CDUK in London!!:drool:

Is something wrong with me?

Whenever U2 plays anything on television, a live broadcast, a concert, a show, one song even, I LOVE it by default.

I'm a fan. I'm not a critic.

Back
Top Bottom