MERGED-->Vertigo vs. other first singles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know, had to say, but it rocks the others to hell, whioch might get people's attention...Holy crap, this is U2??? Alright! ;-)

Better than BD, Discoteque, Numb. Obviously not WOWY, The Fly, or Pride (was that a 1st single?)

I swear it was the 1st single, because I Still was 2nd. I thought Streets was the last video released. Either way, Vertigo isn't as good as any of those singles (though it's not a fair comparision)

I have never seen such a unanimous positive reaction! That's what most amazes me! EVERYBODY LOVES THIS SONG!!!

Its U2's hardest rocking single ever. You could argue with the "The Fly", but "Vertigo" is just so loud and going 100mph!!!! It captures your attention like no other.

I am 100% sure WOWY was the first single. Streets was third.

Anyway, it is hard for me to gauge what the better first single is. This is definitely the biggest attention grabber since The Fly.

This is night and day from when Beautiful Day came out.
That day everyone was like, "it's good" or "well, it will grow on me..."
More than a few loved it, but not like this. WOW!!!

I'd say its in the top 5 for singles...

THIS ROCKS EVERY OTHER FIRST SINGLE OFF THE FACE OF THE BLOODY PLANET!

Wooooooooooooo!!!!

I know this is a little off the subject, but this is why U2 should have release "Mofo" as the first single off Pop. It would had suprised everyone.

Streets was the first single off of JT. Look it up on U2.com. :)

If Streets was the first single off of JT...and WOWY was after...just think about what's next! I CAN'T WAIT!!

Folks, go to U2Wanderer.org, they're the authority on the singles stuff.

1. WOWY
2. ISHFWILF
3. Streets

End of debate.

And BTW, U2.com shows WOWY first in March 87. Streets in August 87. I was around when this came out, ok?

Streets was the 3rd single off JT. After WOWY and ISHFWILF. What ever U2.com says is wrong.

Onto Vertigo, It's a good tune. I don't think it "blows away" Beautiful Day or The Fly or Discotheque. Those are some great singles. It sounds like HMTMKMKM on speed, which is a good thing. Not terribley original, but it does showcase a band that's been together for over 25 years kicking ass, and that what I think it was supposed to do.

Ever since JT, U2 has really released some bold singles as the 1st one; most artists would pick the most commericial/catchy song on the album to sell records. I remember how surprised I was when I heard WOWY as the 1st single. Though nothing was as shocking as hearing The Fly (that's commerical suicide for most artists)

I really like the CD-quality version of Vertigo, very good choice. I'm dying to hear Miracle Drug in full.

I just played it for about 10 guys that normally would not like U2. They loved it. They normally would not buy a U2 record. They asked when their new record was coming out.

Vertigo is different. Vertigo is going to get more rock fans! Yay!

Mark

bsp77 said:
I am 100% sure WOWY was the first single. Streets was third.

Correct ! For me this is far more immediate than The Fly - and likely to be more of a new fan magnet. NO other band is able to produce music of this quality & freshness after 25 years!

Mike

MrBrau1 said:
Streets was the 3rd single off JT. After WOWY and ISHFWILF. What ever U2.com says is wrong.

Onto Vertigo, It's a good tune. I don't think it "blows away" Beautiful Day or The Fly or Discotheque. Those are some great singles. It sounds like HMTMKMKM on speed, which is a good thing. Not terribley original, but it does showcase a band that's been together for over 25 years kicking ass, and that what I think it was supposed to do.

I agree... I keep thinking that this isn't "THE SINGLE." I feel like this song is like reintroducing U2 to the public b/c of the huge layoff. Also, the single will be heard for two months until the album is released. Isn't that a long time? I dunno...

I like the song though even though its short...

no doubt this is the loudest song they ever did

anyway, I think this is the best first single, better than the fly, discothèque and certainly much much better than beautiful day

Miggy D said:
It has a much more immediate appeal than Beautiful Day. Beautiful Day had to 'grow' on me. This did not.

This is exactly how I feel. I was lukewarm to "Beautiful Day" initially, but over time really came to appreciate it as a very strong song. "Vertigo" hit me right away with the guitar riff and knocked me out. After rising from the canvas I let it floor me again. Great single.

I am the 10th person to say, but WOWY was DEFINITELY the first single from JT.

I think Vertigo is as good as any lead single since WOWY. And better than the last 3 by far.

Back
Top Bottom