MERGED-->Vertigo vs. other first singles - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2004, 08:59 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:40 AM
It is without a doubt one of their best lead singles ever. It's not as good as Pride and I'm sure it won't be as popular as WOWY, but it is better then everything else, including Beautiful Day, IMO.

Old 09-23-2004, 09:15 PM   #47
War Child

Local Time: 04:40 AM
Well, it's just guesswork at this point, of course, but my opinion is that it will have the cross-ver appeal of Beautiful Day with the rock pull of The Fly. And that in itself can make it the biggest single since WOWY, but it remains to be seen.

I think the video will have an impact, if it sucks, then the song might be hurt. If the video is "cool" or whatever, then it could really help propell that song. I thought Walk On could have been a top 10-15 hit in America, but the video was weak and I don't think it reached as many non-U2 people as it could have.

Sad that videos even matter, but they do as far as impact on a big audience.

As for Numb, Numb was on MTV and American radio before Zooropa was even in the stores, for whatever it's worth. Lemon or Stay wasn't even heard by most until the album hit the stores. No 'internet leaks' in those days. As far as officially, I don't know, but I'd bet that most people around back then consider Numb the lead single for Zooropa, no matter what the official release dates were. I saw Edge with a foot in his face before I even knew that Zooropa was coming out, and I was a huge fan.

Old 09-24-2004, 01:11 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:40 AM
I love the song and for me it's better than Numb and Beautiful Day.
The Fly is one of my favorite songs ever by any band, so definitely NOT better. It's kinda like Discotheque, though...
Old 09-24-2004, 01:17 AM   #49
War Child

Local Time: 08:40 PM
Better than them all! Reminded me of august 1991 when I first heard the fly as a 16 yr old.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:07 AM   #50
Refugee

Local Time: 09:40 PM
I like this as a single, put it this way- four years ago when I fist heard BD I didnt rush out and buy ATYCLB until about a year later, but after hearing Vertigo I will be buying that new album the day it comes out. I dont think it is as good an opener as The Fly, but then again that was a different era, so was the JT era stuff, its like comparing apples to oranges....but compared to the last three albums, Zooropa, Pop and ATYCLB I think it is the best opener, seriously Discoshit was a piece of crap IMHO.....I am really liking vetigo, however my only problem with it is the talking that Bono does in the middle, I think that could of been left out,,,,,,but still, its great and a great first single