MERGED-->Vertigo vs. other first singles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I heard it on the way home from work this afternoon and after the song ended I realized I was doing about 100mph on the freeway.

Well, songs like this and Streets are different kind of songs. One type is better for deep, inspiring feelings (songs like Streets and WOWY), then there's rockin fun songs (Elevation, The Fly, Vertigo). I think this is definitely U2's catchiest fiirst single for sure. I like it better than ,BD, The Fly and Discotheque. I wouldn't say it's better than songs like Streets and Kite though (touching songs).

I actually think I like BD better than Vertigo.

But BD got kinda played out for me. The opening of BD is so good for me, though.

Vertigo is good, and I think lyrically deeper than BD.

As for WOWY, it is a given that it is better (different, but better). I think Vertigo is about on the level of Discoteque for me. Nice and rocking, but not top ten U2 songs.

it's a better first single than Discotheque and Numb

it's not as strong as Beautiful Day
though I'm sure the open more rocking approach will be appreciated by many U2 fans

I haven't been this wound up about ANY u2 song since Streets...this kicks the butt of so many previous songs.

First Singles

Have any of you noticed that every single first U2 single, basically sums up the sound of the record? For example:

The Fly - A very rock, Edge-y track with different Bono voices and personalities. Couldn't pick a better song to summarize AB.

Discothèque - A dancey U2 song with techno background, hi-tech tricks, but a strong melody. POP in a nutshell.

Beautiful Day - An inspirational track with that particular strings/choir background sound that rings throug all of ATYCLB.

Basically, everything from the 90's (with the exception of "Lemon," and by the way, I couldn't pick a WORSE first single, but still a classic tune). Maybe "Vertigo" is telling us something about this record. Maybe not. Maybe it is to HTDAAB as "The Wanderer" is to Zooropa. You never know...until November 22!

I think so cos Numb came out in the summer along with the album as a video and if I remember correctly U2 did something no one else did before and release their single as a commercial video tape that could be bought.

Re: Vertigo vs. other first singles

Oregoropa said:
How does your reaction to Vertigo compare to other first singles from U2 albums (i.e. Discotheque, Beautiful Day) ?

ATYCLB was the first time I anticipated a new U2 album since I only became a fan in about '99 maybe...and Vertigo gives me the same sense of heightened anticipation for a new U2 album..it creates a great first impression of the new U2.

The buzz surrounding the new album has a more of an Achtung Baby type of expectation. There is allure and mystery and a WHOLE NEW sound being defined.

Flying FuManchu said:

I agree... I keep thinking that this isn't "THE SINGLE." I feel like this song is like reintroducing U2 to the public b/c of the huge layoff. Also, the single will be heard for two months until the album is released. Isn't that a long time? I dunno...

I like the song though even though its short...

i believe the 2nd or 3rd single will the 'The Single' that really shines on the album- its just my gut feeling, because this album is being hyped sooo much that its hard for me to believe the best song makes it as the first single. its a catchy ass tune, but i doubt its "The Song" of atomic bomb

david said:
I think so cos Numb came out in the summer along with the album as a video and if I remember correctly U2 did something no one else did before and release their single as a commercial video tape that could be bought.

I just checked U2Wanderer.org and they show that while Numb was a video single, Lemon was the first full format single. I didn't check more on this, but I have a sneaking suspicion the full Lemon single was not available in many places and Stay was the first and only 'proper' single.

I'm not sure who's right on JT. All I know is Streets had the biggest impact on me. The second I saw it (the video), I was captivated and remember immediately running down the street to one of my best friends, who also is a huge U2 fan and asked him if he saw what I just witnessed. I had chills down my back, the same feeling I get when Edge hits his 1st cord at any given show.

But honestly, the Zoo TV tour gave me more chills than any other.

It is without a doubt one of their best lead singles ever. It's not as good as Pride and I'm sure it won't be as popular as WOWY, but it is better then everything else, including Beautiful Day, IMO.

Well, it's just guesswork at this point, of course, but my opinion is that it will have the cross-ver appeal of Beautiful Day with the rock pull of The Fly. And that in itself can make it the biggest single since WOWY, but it remains to be seen.

I think the video will have an impact, if it sucks, then the song might be hurt. If the video is "cool" or whatever, then it could really help propell that song. I thought Walk On could have been a top 10-15 hit in America, but the video was weak and I don't think it reached as many non-U2 people as it could have.

Sad that videos even matter, but they do as far as impact on a big audience.

As for Numb, Numb was on MTV and American radio before Zooropa was even in the stores, for whatever it's worth. Lemon or Stay wasn't even heard by most until the album hit the stores. No 'internet leaks' in those days. As far as officially, I don't know, but I'd bet that most people around back then consider Numb the lead single for Zooropa, no matter what the official release dates were. I saw Edge with a foot in his face before I even knew that Zooropa was coming out, and I was a huge fan.

I love the song and for me it's better than Numb and Beautiful Day.
The Fly is one of my favorite songs ever by any band, so definitely NOT better. It's kinda like Discotheque, though...

I like this as a single, put it this way- four years ago when I fist heard BD I didnt rush out and buy ATYCLB until about a year later, but after hearing Vertigo I will be buying that new album the day it comes out. I dont think it is as good an opener as The Fly, but then again that was a different era, so was the JT era stuff, its like comparing apples to oranges....but compared to the last three albums, Zooropa, Pop and ATYCLB I think it is the best opener, seriously Discoshit was a piece of crap IMHO.....I am really liking vetigo, however my only problem with it is the talking that Bono does in the middle, I think that could of been left out,,,,,,but still, its great and a great first single:wink:

Back
Top Bottom