MERGED-->Vertigo vs. other first singles - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2004, 12:37 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:56 PM
I heard it on the way home from work this afternoon and after the song ended I realized I was doing about 100mph on the freeway.

Old 09-23-2004, 12:41 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:56 PM
Well, songs like this and Streets are different kind of songs. One type is better for deep, inspiring feelings (songs like Streets and WOWY), then there's rockin fun songs (Elevation, The Fly, Vertigo). I think this is definitely U2's catchiest fiirst single for sure. I like it better than ,BD, The Fly and Discotheque. I wouldn't say it's better than songs like Streets and Kite though (touching songs).

Old 09-23-2004, 12:44 PM   #33
Ody
Refugee

Local Time: 01:56 PM
I actually think I like BD better than Vertigo.

But BD got kinda played out for me. The opening of BD is so good for me, though.

Vertigo is good, and I think lyrically deeper than BD.

As for WOWY, it is a given that it is better (different, but better). I think Vertigo is about on the level of Discoteque for me. Nice and rocking, but not top ten U2 songs.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:44 PM   #34
you are what you is

Local Time: 11:56 PM
it's a better first single than Discotheque and Numb

it's not as strong as Beautiful Day
though I'm sure the open more rocking approach will be appreciated by many U2 fans
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 09-23-2004, 12:48 PM   #35
War Child

Local Time: 09:56 PM
I haven't been this wound up about ANY u2 song since Streets...this kicks the butt of so many previous songs.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:36 PM   #36
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:56 PM
First Singles

Have any of you noticed that every single first U2 single, basically sums up the sound of the record? For example:

The Fly - A very rock, Edge-y track with different Bono voices and personalities. Couldn't pick a better song to summarize AB.

Discothèque - A dancey U2 song with techno background, hi-tech tricks, but a strong melody. POP in a nutshell.

Beautiful Day - An inspirational track with that particular strings/choir background sound that rings throug all of ATYCLB.

Basically, everything from the 90's (with the exception of "Lemon," and by the way, I couldn't pick a WORSE first single, but still a classic tune). Maybe "Vertigo" is telling us something about this record. Maybe not. Maybe it is to HTDAAB as "The Wanderer" is to Zooropa. You never know...until November 22!
Old 09-23-2004, 03:40 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I always thought Numb was the first single off Zooropa.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:46 PM   #38
Acrobat

You may be right David....
Old 09-23-2004, 03:50 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I think so cos Numb came out in the summer along with the album as a video and if I remember correctly U2 did something no one else did before and release their single as a commercial video tape that could be bought.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:52 PM   #40
Refugee

Local Time: 10:56 PM
Re: Vertigo vs. other first singles

Quote:
Originally posted by Oregoropa
How does your reaction to Vertigo compare to other first singles from U2 albums (i.e. Discotheque, Beautiful Day) ?

ATYCLB was the first time I anticipated a new U2 album since I only became a fan in about '99 maybe...and Vertigo gives me the same sense of heightened anticipation for a new U2 album..it creates a great first impression of the new U2.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:54 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The buzz surrounding the new album has a more of an Achtung Baby type of expectation. There is allure and mystery and a WHOLE NEW sound being defined.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:29 PM   #42
Refugee

Local Time: 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by david
The buzz surrounding the new album has a more of an Achtung Baby type of expectation. There is allure and mystery and a WHOLE NEW sound being defined.

True.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:19 PM   #43
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu

I agree... I keep thinking that this isn't "THE SINGLE." I feel like this song is like reintroducing U2 to the public b/c of the huge layoff. Also, the single will be heard for two months until the album is released. Isn't that a long time? I dunno...

I like the song though even though its short...
i believe the 2nd or 3rd single will the 'The Single' that really shines on the album- its just my gut feeling, because this album is being hyped sooo much that its hard for me to believe the best song makes it as the first single. its a catchy ass tune, but i doubt its "The Song" of atomic bomb
Old 09-23-2004, 08:46 PM   #44
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by david
I think so cos Numb came out in the summer along with the album as a video and if I remember correctly U2 did something no one else did before and release their single as a commercial video tape that could be bought.
I just checked U2Wanderer.org and they show that while Numb was a video single, Lemon was the first full format single. I didn't check more on this, but I have a sneaking suspicion the full Lemon single was not available in many places and Stay was the first and only 'proper' single.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-23-2004, 08:58 PM   #45
War Child

I'm not sure who's right on JT. All I know is Streets had the biggest impact on me. The second I saw it (the video), I was captivated and remember immediately running down the street to one of my best friends, who also is a huge U2 fan and asked him if he saw what I just witnessed. I had chills down my back, the same feeling I get when Edge hits his 1st cord at any given show.

But honestly, the Zoo TV tour gave me more chills than any other.