MERGED-->Vertigo promo CD cover art

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Queen Bee

Blue Crack Addict
Please don't shoot him. He's just an intern.
Vertigo promo CD cover art

From U2 New Zooland

What do we have here?! – It's the cover of the 'Vertigo' CD single!* Vertigo is the first single from U2's new studio album, 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb'. The single will hit radio waves around the world for the first time this Friday, the 24th September (and Kiwis might be the first to hear it, thanks to New Zealand's time-zone advantage).

vertigo.jpg

Look closely at the cover, and you may notice that the font is the same as the one used on the DVD titled 'U2 Go Home - Live from Slane Castle'. Also interesting is that the "go" part of "Vertigo" has been coloured differently from the rest of the word.

*Whether or not the commercial single release will feature exactly the same cover as this promo, we do not yet know.

Last edited:
I'm not sure either, i thought it looked a bit sorta "amatuerish" (Not that I could do any better) :)

since when have the band ever used cuts of their bodies on the cover artwork anyways? i know that this could be edge's album but this seems a little over the top. plus i dont get any vertigo from this design, you know? the image as a whole reads too straight forward. the newsprint idea sorta works cus it reminds me of clippings from back in the day, but this is kinda weak...sorry im an art major. im just as critical of my own work:wink:

Looks like a Pop-era picture combined with Boston/Slane type and colouring.

My money says it will simply be a promo cover and something different will be used for the single.

The Beautiful Day promo CD I have has just a group shot of the band on the cover. The font of the writing is the same as all the ATYCLB writing, but otherwise it gave no clues to what either the Beautiful Day or ATYCLB artwork would look like. The ATYCLB promo that I had a listen to back then had no artwork, just a tracklisting and a "very" serious warning about doing the wrong thing with that particular CD.... lol.... I broke 2 of the 3 rules within half an hour. If I owned a radio station I would have broken 3 out of 3...

anyway....

Promo covers are usually nothing like the 'real' thing. The fact that a U2 promo cover would have any artwork at all (as oppossed to just a record company logo and a simple tracklisting) is just due to the bands size and the fact that Universal can spend whatever the f*ck they want on them.

It's been reported at U2log.com that the album art is follows in the same vien as this.

from U2log.com :

U2 New Zooland have an image of the Vertigo promo sleeve - from which we can deduce the sort of artwork we can expect this album and tour: lo-fi punk aesthetics. As for the album sleeve, our spies tell us it has the same ‘distressed/zerox’ feel and the boys will be ‘sitting down’ on the cover image.

Maybe we shouldn't put this down so early, I like it fake or not, I'd be happy to see U2 approach their artwork this way this type round, looks cool to me.

i just don't like the fact that the font is the same from the slane dvd, but i like the concept (or the lack of it). It reveals somehow a new image and design. I agree also with the lo-fi punk aesthetics refernce.

And come on, the covers don't have to be full of meanings, especially for the singles: what do the covers from the atyclb singles tell us? Nothing, they're just nice photos from the band.

I like also the 'u2 only idea' of having one member alone per single (cover and/or artwork) like they did it for the jt & ab singles.

hmmm, dunno
i dont think it looks bad, in fact i think it looks pretty cool
like everyone said though it just looks too much like slane/boston and we all know U2 aren't really ones for repeating themselves!

It's pretty funny how all of Vertigo is written in red except for 'go,' like 'go home.' Other than that, it reminds me of the cover of a disco band featuring a famous guitaist's single. It's really cool though. Really U2.

Well, at least they are saving their multi-million dollar budget for something better. I could've done this in 10 minutes in Photoshop. Oh well, the album covers never disappoint me.

Ugh! I don't like this cover. It looks punk and I always thought U2 had more depth in style, sound and substance than punk. Bring back the excellent Anton Corbijn photographs.

This will definitely stand out on the shelves, but yuck! This might be the first U2 album I buy brand new off of iTunes so maybe the design of the sleeves won't matter.

Back
Top Bottom