MERGED--> Verdicts on Mercy + Mercy is a new track + Mercy is deffinetly not a good s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised that people link this song to AB/Zooropa style. It's sounds so 80s that I feel like it's an outtake of UF... Bono's vocals are absolutely mind-blowing, better than on any tracks on Atomic Bomb (but he's doing very well there too).

Amazing song, definately my kind of tune... But I'm not sure if it should have been on the album or not. I feel it almost sounds too much like the 80s. But I like it better than Yahweh.

I don't think this is Mercy. This is not Bono's voice from 2003. It's his voice from the late 80s or early 90s.

So what is it then? This amazing 6 minute track by U2 that you're saying has been around for years but no one's ever heard it?

It would be pretty funny if this *wasn't* Mercy at all... imagine if it came out and it was some other song that was also amazing!

why, then, is it the only song we've heard where it sounds like it's been taped from a tape like 2-3 times. not CD quality at all, and i've never heard a digital recording that sounded like this.

It could very well be Mercy, but as Johnny Cochran once said, there might have been a rush to judgment!

It needs something extra which if they had probably worked on would have made it a certainty for the album. Its a good song that just needs working on a little, another little twist somehwere. I agree when someone said it starts great and then it goes on and on, if there was some twist in the middle of the song it would have been a certainty for the album, probably near the end. Its definetly a grower.

Bah! It's a B-side if there's still such a thing. Clearly this song is a mimicry of a whole range of sounds and screwed up lyrics. They do this a lot to try different things that sometimes get used on the A-side tracks. Of all we know, of all the years of U2 songs, how can anyone think they would seriously include a 6-minute plus recording on an LP????

I chuckle when I hear "Mercy" extend from the 4 minute mark, that Bono was just playing around virtually mocking himself. Half the song sounds like an attempt to be Echo and The Bunnymen, which also makes me laugh.

Phi said:
Of all we know, of all the years of U2 songs, how can anyone think they would seriously include a 6-minute plus recording on an LP????

Frequently

An Cat Dubh (6:21)
Surrender (6:01)
Bad (6:08)
Elvis Presley And America (6:22)
Hawkmoon 269 (6:22)
All I Want is You (6:30)
Zooropa (6:30)
Lemon (6:56)
Mofo (not quite, but still 5:49)

Oh God, I love this song so much!!! Before I thought it was alright, but now I'm completely in love with it :heart: Bono's vocals are just STUNNING, the lyrics are some of his best, and the music... I love it. I describe it as "U2 kicking Interpol's arse" :D (I love Interpol, btw.) please please PLEASE play this song live...

BTW, we know it's Mercy because of the Blender article - it's about 6:30 in length, as described in Blender, and has the lyric "I'm born again and again and again and again..." (in the article it says something to the effect of "Hey Edge!" Bono goes on to quote a new lyric. "I'm born again and again and again...") I seriously doubt there's some random song back from '87 or '91 that happens to be six and a half minutes and have that exact lyric.

But god, what a great song. If you don't like it yet, listen to it. A lot. It's a grower.

BrownEyedBoy said:
Anyone have the lyrics yet?

This is all guesswork. I think it is close, but you'll see i have some ? marks on some of the lyrics.
MERCY

I was drinking some wine... and it turned to blood
What's the use of religion... if you're any good
I know I'm weedkiller honey... and you're sugar
If you're the prosecution... I'd get away with murder
If you were ice... I'm water
And with your telescope... I can see further
We're binary code... a one and a zero
You wanted violins... and you got Nero
You're gravity... searching for the ground
You're silence... searching for a sound
Your heart is aching... your heart is my home
It's fascinating... I know I'll never be alone

I'm rippin' the stitches
You got two (hands/hits???) to (rub/rock ????)
I'm digging the ditches
Of someone else's (love/ luck??)

Love hears when I lie
Love puts the blue back in my eye(
Love will come again
I'll be gone again... again

If you're hunger... baby let me feed it
If your heart is full... baby let me bleed it
And happiness is for... those who don't really need it
You love me... too much
You always love me... too much

When I was rippin' the stitches
You got two (fists/hits???) to (rub/rock???)
I'm digging the ditches
Of someone else's luck

Love hears when I lie
Love puts the blue back in my eye
Love has come again
I am gone again

Love's got to be with the weak
Only then love gets a chance to speak
Love will come again
I'll be gone again... again

I... I can't escape myself
I hear you talk
Feeling nothing
I fear nothing
Feel....

I can hear so much
Fear nothing
I feel so much
Fear... nothing

Love has come again
I am gone again
Love is the end of history
The enemy of misery
Love has come again
I am gone again

Love is justice, a charity
Love brings with it a clarity
Love has come again
I'm alive again
Alive...

I am alive, baby I'm born again and again
And again, and again and again and again
Again

i really cant get enough of this song....one of my faves of all time, ill be listening to this in years gone by when i want to put a smile on my face. One of those songs Edge describes as 'a gift from God' for me...
It puts my faith back in Bono's voice...great song, great vocals and lyrics. Still a B-side tho for me.

Mercy is a new track

If it is indeed called Mercy. ;)

There is a lot of Always in Mercy, especially a certain guitar riff. I'm stunned nobody has heard this. Mercy is definitely a new track.

Who would've thought a little b-side would give birth to two of the most beautiful songs U2 has ever written? Beautiful Day and Mercy! :love:

They dropped the wrong songs. Instead of Fast cars and Mercy the could drop any song except Vertigo, Love and Peace andCOBL.
Anyone agrees with my opinion that bono's voice is to dramatic in most of the songs? Fastcars and Mercy have a different feel than the album tracks. If Mercy and Fast Cars where included on the standard cd, and two other songs where dropped, there would be an album wich would stand more firmly. HTDAAB in it's current form is a boring album of to much of the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom