MERGED ---> Universial Music Publishing forces lyrics to be taken down? + lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are Universal worried about proceeds from the sale of music books? ie books with the written music and lyrics to an album. Those things cost $40 to $50 here. And I can't read music, so I dont need that bit. I did buy the Actung Baby one though.

Do Universal sell the lyrics by themselves?

what was the name of that online petition site that was used when people were trying the get the Slane show released on DVD a couple of years back? Someone should start one of those petitions- i'm sure tons of fans would sign it....

(yes, i know i should start it, but i really have to get to bed- it's late here in NY! anyone else up for starting it?)

i think we should just do what radiohead fand did 1 year ago...anyway on new u2.com the Lyrics' section seems well done (obviously u2wanderer's was better)

Scarletwine said:
I thought U2 retained the rights to their music, per stating so in a a myriad of interviews including the latest blights. Universal only had the right to distribute + make moey on sales.

That is correct. But with their right to distribute and sell it, also comes the right to protect their investment. Which they think they are doing now...
:|

Marty

Lyrics are copyright protected. I work at a magazine and if we want to publish the lyrics to a song, we have to pay anywhere between 300 and 1000 euros per song (it depends on your circulation etc). You'd think that publishers would see it as a free advertisement if we'd publish the lyrics to one of their new singles, but they don't.

This is stupid! We have them anyway on our liner notes, but having them on this site was so much easier to copy and paste when posting a thread of pictures to song lyrics :sigh:

I also think alot of this has to do with U2.com wanting to attract as much traffic as possible. Us and the other sites havings lyrics and tablature takes away from U2.com, and therefore decreases traffic. One has to wonder if they will start shutting down message boards and our ability to post news and original content too. (I doubt it - but who knows how much a record label will do).

Dima said:
i think we should just do what radiohead fand did 1 year ago...anyway on new u2.com the Lyrics' section seems well done (obviously u2wanderer's was better)

it is, but what's the bet that they had a little look round some other U2 fansites and took some 'inspiration' from them...

HelloAngel said:
I also think alot of this has to do with U2.com wanting to attract as much traffic as possible. Us and the other sites havings lyrics and tablature takes away from U2.com, and therefore decreases traffic. One has to wonder if they will start shutting down message boards and our ability to post news and original content too. (I doubt it - but who knows how much a record label will do).

Maybe there a dirth of little traffic because the site has always been subpar....:shrug:

Maybe once it's officially running well, things will be different....:|

If they even try to mess with message boards....:mad:

HelloAngel said:
I also think alot of this has to do with U2.com wanting to attract as much traffic as possible.

Maybe they should invest in a functional server then.

I fear this is just the beginning. If the boys have handed over their balls to Universal I expect that removal of cover art will be next for ol' U2wander.org.

It's so nice to be appreciated as a fan. I can support the iPod, the iTunes ad, and even cut them slack for initially limiting the unreleased tracks to the box set. But screwing with the way your fans communicate, research, and practice their adoration of the band they keep employed? This one makes me sick.

The more I think about this I arrive at a reasoning for their decision. If a poet or author had fan-sites that printed their work in it's complete form it would be illegal; likewise with lyrics. True, without the music, the lyrics are like reading half a book without finding out the true ending, but it doesn't matter. In black and white terms, it was illegal to print the lyrics while the site sold advertising and charged some members for premium access (which didn't allow access to the lyrics, but did look suspicious).

In the reality, posting the lyrics has done nothing but made U2 fans more passionate and astute at Bono's poetry. It may have spawned interest in downloading the necessary follow-up of tabs and bass riffs, but buying sheet music at a record store is not an option for most fans; either for financial or geographical reasons.

I suspect the band has little to do with this injunction or request. Since U2 is currently the biggest act in music the distributer would be eager to accumulate as much profit, while screwing the fans up the arse. U2 can't possibly be a culprit in this censorship. They're loaded with cash, and more importantly, haven't attempted to block the lyrics for the first 25 years of their existence.

A few people have concluded this act means that U2 will undoudtedly release a book of lyrics. The fact is they've already done this...but it wouldn't include those of the past year. I believe the title is something obvious like, "U2 lyrics".

Danospano said:
A few people have concluded this act means that U2 will undoudtedly release a book of lyrics. The fact is they've already done this...but it wouldn't include those of the past year. I believe the title is something obvious like, "U2 lyrics".

I have this book, I didn't think it was an official U2 product, but I guess it would have to be, though wouldn't it?

Anyway it is far from having accurate lyrics and that is what chaps me! If they are going to have the lyrics in a book or at the official site, then I hope they do a better job than they have in the past!

Flying FuManchu said:
I'm sorry... but u2.com is a typical "OFFICIAL" band site.

No, it isn't.

It's more disorganized than any other major band's website I've ever seen, the fan club thing is a total joke or a total nightmare depending on whom you ask, the U2.com woman herself told me today that their servers were overloaded (hello, buy a new one, this is absolutely unacceptable for a band of their stature), the site is slow and sluggish, etc.

The aesthetics and slowness in updating is one thing, but the technical issues make this the worst official band site I've ever encountered.

anitram said:
the U2.com woman herself told me today that their servers were overloaded (hello, buy a new one, this is absolutely unacceptable for a band of their stature), the site is slow and sluggish, etc.

I certainly hope they invest in a few new servers by the time the tickets go on sale. :mad:

So is someone planning to start a petition about this?? Or if one already exists please link me to it so I can sign it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom