MERGED ->U2 to re-record Pop!+ Bono talking out of his arse!+Wait,what's this remast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chizip said:

Also it kind of disappointed me to see Adam say they would play some Pop songs in Europe because the record was more well received there. So basically he is saying U2 aren't playing the songs they think are their best musically throughout the tour, but they are letting commercial success dictate what songs are played where.

Well I'd like commercial success to dictate what albums are released where from now on!!

The US can have all the Diet U2 it can swallow.
The rest of us can have all the creative U2 our hearts can handle.

Earnie Shavers said:

Well I'd like commercial success to dictate what albums are released where from now on!!

The US can have all the Diet U2 it can swallow.
The rest of us can have all the creative U2 our hearts can handle.

:applaud: I think I'll move to Berlin.

Well why not?

They can release the stuff aimed at the rest of the world under the Passengers tag if they are that afraid of sullying the U2 brand over in the US with this creative and evolutionary silliness. Brand U2 can continue to play pop music that sounds like U2 and sells a shitload, Passengers can continue to move forward in the line that started at Boy and finished at Pop. They won't lose money, as they don't spend 1/10th on marketing outside the US as they do inside. Continue to do that and they'll still make as much. U2 Lite fans outside the US can order the U2 Lite stuff online. Just as these Passengers fans within the US can order the new Passengers stuff online. Win/win.

:applaud:

Last edited:
Earnie Shavers said:

The whole point of everything I write though is that I don't believe U2 needed to have their own mammoth negative reaction to it. I know the US makes up half of their sales. If they manufactured canned dog food, you'd say "Yes! Do whatever you have to to reclaim the market!!" And I do understand their needing to change if their single biggest market doesn't support their direction. They ARE U2 and always have been obsessed with US sales and relevance.

But I think Pop was a great album. I think what they did with it and the tour were huge risks in the US. Risks that ultimately failed there. However, the climate that Pop and Popmart were in has changed significantly. The music on Pop should make perfect sense to everyone now. The themes of Pop should make perfect sense to everyone now. I don't know how a mammoth stadium tour would go (and I would strongly advise against it), but certainly the boldness and brightness of Popmart should make sense to everyone now. Regardless of how you feel personaly about those songs - the musical style, and the goal they were reaching for should now in 2005 with 8 more years general musical history to use as hindsight, make a hell of a lot more sense. They were right, but they were way too early in the US and they underestimated the taste and musical maturity of the US market (in general) and the size of their competition.

U2 most definitely freaked out over that failure, and that's fine. I know how much the US market means to them. It physicaly makes up 50% of their sales, and seems to emotionaly make up 95% and they've never denied that, they've always proclaimed their want and need to scale the US charts and minds. But post-Pop there was a fundamental shift in the way U2 did things, and it was by far the largest shift of their career. That was kinda covered in another thread, and it's something that I think is a real, real shame. It wasn't a shift in sound, it wasn't a shift in influence. It wasn't a shift in attitude or a shift in style and image. These have all been done before and won some fans and lost some fans. This shift virtually stripped U2 of what made them U2.

Hindsight is there now, but 8 years ago...you win some you lose some. It happens with every album.

If you're not doing well enough in your (let's face it) biggest market, then what do you do? Keep in the same direction or try something else? Or try to re-win the market?

I agree this is a pop incarnation/phase for U2, but still, only a phase - they already said - Adam - the next album will be different. (note Mercy is likely being kept for that album, as it hasn't been a B-side) Bono and Edge both said it will come soon.
Also, remember the interviews in 2000 when they said they felt it's okay to sound like U2 again? That's also a part of it.

And I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind seeing more good, known rock bands on MTV and (what is more likely at their age and what they're getting at more) radio - charts are a lost cause for them IMO. Bono's absolutely right when he says hip hop is the new pop in the US and that it stole the spotlight from other genres.

I guess we'll never know what that "extra month" would get as only U2 themselves know what they wanted to do. Having 3 single versions from that album does suggest they weren't 100% happy with the mix/production - because the way I understand it, what they say is missing is in that part, not the song themselves.

As for playing Pop songs, I recall them playing that album quite a bit on Elevation - and that was the "taking over US again" phase. They also brought out Stay.

Last edited:
Earnie Shavers is right. The climate of popular music in the U.S. was clearly against 'big' bands at that time. Remember in the early 90s, how Seattle Grunge exploded and was the 'in' thing, with Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Soundgraden/Alice In Chains/etc etc? It is true that After Cobain killed himself and Layne Staley of AIC died of OD after that and SG eventually broke up, that the whole grunge thing sort of died. But it was alive long enough to become the very beginning of a musical genre we would call 'alternative'. In terms of popular music, alternative was just it from about 1995 to 1999. Alternative was just that, alternative to the big rock band image that was so prevelant in the 80s with bands like Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Metallica, Kiss, Journey, etc etc, and even U2. So from 1995, the pop/rock scene in the U.S. and also elsewhere in the world was dominated by alternative, i.e. Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead, Phish, Alanis Morrisette, Tool, Weezer, Beck, Chemical Brothers, The Verve, Blur, Prodigy, etc etc etc etc. So when a band the size of U2 makes an alternative record of their own(one which imo was one of the very best alternative records anyone made between 1995 and 1999), it wouldn't be accepted by the mass audience of pop/rock music(which was basically alternative at the time) because the record had 'U2' on the cover and that symbolized everything alternative was against. It would be rejected by a good portion of die-hard U2 fans because it didn't sound like a U2 record. Like I said before, a handful of bands from that time period could have released Pop and it would have been more successful.

U2girl said:
Hindsight is there now, but 8 years ago...you win some you lose some. It happens with every album.

If you're not doing well enough in your (let's face it) biggest market, then what do you do? Keep in the same direction or try something else? Or try to re-win the market?

You try to re-win the market.

U2girl said:
I agree this is a pop incarnation/phase for U2, but still, only a phase - they already said - Adam - the next album will be different. (note Mercy is likely being kept for that album, as it hasn't been a B-side) Bono and Edge both said it will come soon.
Also, remember the interviews in 2000 when they said they felt it's okay to sound like U2 again? That's also a part of it.

Well, I think we all know to take what the band says with a grain of salt. Bono and The Edge say it's coming soon? That *might* mean this decade :wink:
Adam says it will sound different? That doesn't mean it won't be along the pop lines. The style of the songs are all quite different, HTDAAB is probably their most diverse album in that sense, but it all falls under the pop genre. They could change the style, but if it's still swimming in such shallow water and is still as formulated as these last two albums - it's another pop album. Unfortunately, that's what I expect the album will be and to hear U2 swim out to the depths again, I think it will take a side project of some sort. They're on a financially winning formula and I think that's all they care for now.
I haven't actually heard Mercy, or the famed Xanax & Wine or Native Son. We don't have the full iTunes here so the Complete U2 isn't available, and they are impossible to get on the P2P networks. Know of a site that's hosting them? I really am interested now, but hadn't given them a thought previously, expecting them to be more of the same....

U2girl said:
And I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind seeing more good, known rock bands on MTV and (what is more likely at their age and what they're getting at more) radio - charts are a lost cause for them IMO. Bono's absolutely right when he says hip hop is the new pop in the US and that it stole the spotlight from other genres. [/B]

Hip-hop isn't the new pop. Pop is pop and it's simply the most commercial, bubblegum end of all musical styles. There's pop-rock, pop dance, and there's pop hip-hop (Nelly etc). I think that hip-hop really is the new rock. It's the only style of music that the Over 30's don't really understand (waits for an over 30 to tell me off...) It's the rebellion thing that rock used to have, but no longer has because your parents love it as much as you do. That's why the last mass-popular incarnations of rock were the extreme shocking end of debauchery and noise (think the hair bands and all their cocaine and women songs, or heavy metal bands pushing further and further into indigestible noise) and then grunge who brought a new meaning to the rebellion of rock "I am rebelling and I am unhappy because.... just because.... try and deal with that... I'm just going to deny everything". But here comes hip-hop and all it's offensiveness, coming from a culture that your parents don't quite understand and may feel somewhat threatened by, but one that we all grew up with. It's bright and bold and arrogant - the attitude reflected by it's generation of fans as their rebellion. Something Bono has also caught onto - as far back as Zoo TV - was that hip-hop was the music taking the most advantage of the technology of the time, not just in it's production, but what it's produced to play on. Beat heavy, bass heavy. Show cases that massive bottom end you can now get in your sub woofers in the same way the bands that showcased the range of stereo were popular when it first hit, and the bands that first showcased the range of the CD were popular when it first hit. I think it's another reason why U2 employed the technology of electronica to seriously beef up their bottom end and give it a thump with Pop.

U2 doing pop isn't the way to fight that as much as U2 doing hip-hop most certainly isn't the way to fight that (although it would be good for a laugh, B-Ono on the mic.). U2 are a rock band. My whole point is, I think if U2 were smart (and they always have been before) they could still be presenting an up to date, innovative, creative, evolutionary style of rock that while definitely is risky, would in my belief be able to throw some serious heavyweight punches on the scene. Bono still craps on about being a rock band and reclaiming some of hip-hops turf for rock. But U2 aren't doing that. The last two albums have made them a pop band. A pop band based around seriously loud guitars, but a pop band regardless. They're not reclaiming any turf because they have become the turf that rock wants to reclaim.

Meanwhile rock is fighting back. After 5 or 6 years in the wilderness, there are bands that are igniting peoples imaginations. None of them have been on the mark yet, but they all have the right idea. It's not navel gazing, gloomy music. It's snappy, it's upbeat, it's bright and loud and it's proud to be ambitious and in the spot light. It's also slightly innovative, although not massively, borrowing heavily from the past. Franz Ferdinand in their snappy suits and their bravado playing stuff that sounds remarkably like old U2 in a lot of parts, eg "Like A Song" updated wouldn't sound out of place on their album at all. The Killers, who as I've said, with all their brightness and ambition wouldn't look out of place on the Popmart stage, openly worship at the alter of U2, and do so with a style of music that while with a different pace and goal certainly is using a formula that is well and truly on U2's turf (hello Pop). And the wildly popular theatrics of non-rock bands like The Scissor Sisters. People want their rock to be bright, theatrical, showy and bold, and that's a direct reaction to the doom and gloom of 90's rock. It's also something U2 knew and U2 were well and truly onto. It's something that U2 ditched in favour of jumping ship over to the pop side, and now people listen to U2 in reference to other pop music. It's squeezed on the radio between Rob Thomas and Gwen Stefani and it's way better, but it doesn't do that crossover any more. You used to be able to take a U2 song and play it on the commercial FM station, simply because it was U2 and they were big enough, and it sounded like an exciting breath of fresh air. Now it just sounds like higher quality, but the same air. The songs used to also cross over to the more alternative radio stations as well, but now on those stations you don't listen to a Bloc Party song, then a U2 song, then a Killers song. U2 have been dumped off those stations like they are carrying a disease, and they are, it's pop. They were that rare, great band that could take something that can be respected in a serious musical way and consumed by a mass audience at the same time. Now they are just consumed by a mass audience, and no-one would seriously compare them to the great new music of the past 5 years. It didn't have to be that way.

For all their bluster about the Edge on this record, the last two albums are the most reigned in he's ever been, by a mile. He's one of the most sonically creative guitarists of our generation, yet there's not a sonic chance or risk taken on either album. The guitar, and by association, The Edge, are more prominent on HTDAAB than on ATYCLB, but both are by far the least creative he's been. Pop for all it's 'electronic' bagging showcases what makes The Edge so good far better than HTDAAB. That's got nothing to do with him being okay with making 'U2' sounds on the guitar again, it's about how it's used and as someone said earlier in one of these threads, it seems like the guy has been chained to a post... don't stray too far there... just make that tingly/atmospheric sound here and there, but keep it safe.... now give us a little bit of a 'rockin out' solo, but keep it real safe and simplified... If it's the 80's Edge atmospheric sound you like, just listen to him on The Unforgettable Fire or the Joshua Tree again, listen to how free flowing it was, then go back to HTDAAB and you'll see what I mean. Reigned in a long, long way.

Bono's lyrics? Yeah, I understand him wanting to be more direct, but great writing can still be direct. Bono, to me, is the best lyricist of the past 20 years. From Unforgettable Fire on there have been few if any better. Do you think there's any ambiguity to the lyrics of One or With Or Without You or two dozen other U2 songs? There's way, way more there if you want to explore, but on the surface, on a first listen, there's a direct story and a meaning that an 11 year old can pick up on. The lyrics on HTDAAB in particular are.... just very average. Direct, yes. An example of good writing, no. Completely gone are the beautiful Bono lyrics of the past 20 years in favour of 'spell it out slowly for those who will never, ever pay any closer attention'. Pop lyrics. A deeper topic than your average pop song alone does not give the song depth. Most of the time you just feel like you are listening to Bono's last Time Magazine interview set to music, even to the point where there are exact lines from songs that you have actually heard him use in interviews before. There is zero depth to them for those who loved his lyrics for their amazing poetic beauty, the meaning after meaning that unfolded over and over again, the clever turns of phrase, imagery etc, and in his quest for directness he's managed to seemingly shed all of his ability as a writer. It didn't need to be that way. Vocally he's also just belting it out. He had learned how to work within his new voice, now he just seems to scream for the sake of it, sometimes it passes, sometimes it's awful. I can't listen to Miracle Drug at all. The part where he's singing "The songs..." sounds like a dog yelping. His voice throughout Original is really bad. He's thinned out and stretching. Even ATYCLB is way, way better vocally. That's got nothing to do with pop music, but it is an example of them trying to be something they're not. Bono used to work within his voice, and sculpt the vocal to suit the song. Not on this one.

The production on HTDAAB in particular has fallen for the 'louder is better' trap of pop today. This album actually sounds worse the more you turn it up. Sure, U2 can certainly push the knobs up further than on the 'quietly' recorded albums of the past, but they've pushed them all up to the top. Someone on here when HTDAAB came out put pictures up that showed what was going on in the music, and every level was at it's highest. Theres no separation there and the music suffers. Crumbs in particular is a mess of noise.

U2 should have no problem dealing with hip-hops bravado, they've always had it. U2 should have no problem dealing with the new breed of rocks ambitions and brightness, they've always had it. U2 should have no problem dealing with pop's ability to create a song that you can't get out of your head, they've always done that. U2 should have no problem taking great, creative, intelligent rock music and fighting it up the charts, they've always done that.

I don't know who this band is that are doing weak commercial poppy songs with a U2 influenced sound, but seriously, I'm hanging for the new U2 album, it's been 8 freakin' years since the last one!!!

U2girl said:
I guess we'll never know what that "extra month" would get as only U2 themselves know what they wanted to do. Having 3 single versions from that album does suggest they weren't 100% happy with the mix/production - because the way I understand it, what they say is missing is in that part, not the song themselves.

I think the difference sales wise would have been minimal. We all know they're not happy with the production, and the mistakes are easy to hear. I don't think the production had any effect on that albums sales in the US, or it's image and reputation in the short term. U2 continually bagging it's production in the media ever since certainly doesn't help it, and in fact just solidifies the garbage rumour at the time that it is/was a crap record. They could be saying "Go back and listen to it again now, in 2005, give it another chance now!" but essentially they're telling those who never gave it a chance "Yeah, it's fucked, don't bother." Which is incredibly unfair on themselves and the album. Of the sins that were committed at the time that sunk Pop in the US, production was the least of them.

Last edited:
Why don't they just let Flood put together a double album comprising:

CD1:
remastered Pop tracks (per original release) fixing that annoying error/skip in Do You Feel Loved and upping the volume on the beginning of If God Will Send Her Angels

CD2:
Discotheque - new mix
If God Will Send Her Angels - single mix
Staring at the Sun - new mix
Last Night on Earth - single mix
Gone - new mix
Please - single mix
Playboy Mansion - new mix (unreleased but known to be done)
Mofo - Romin Mix
If You Wear That Velvet Dress - Bono/Jools version
Holy Joe - Garage Mix
Holy Joe - Guilty Mix
Popmuzik - Popmart Mix
Happiness is a Warm Gun - Gun Mix
Happiness is a Warm Gun - The Danny Saber Mix
I'm Not Your Baby - End of Violence mix
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me - single
Bottoms

Wouldn't that sell? And it leaves U2 to start recording their new album.

Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
I haven't actually heard Mercy, or the famed Xanax & Wine or Native Son. We don't have the full iTunes here so the Complete U2 isn't available, and they are impossible to get on the P2P networks. Know of a site that's hosting them? I really am interested now, but hadn't given them a thought previously, expecting them to be more of the same....

Part of it is sketches of songs actually on HDTDAAB under other names (and different final prod) and the rest is mostly unfinished stuff. Nothing to be amazed of. I downloaded the whole lot some time ago at a link someone provided in this forum but unfortunately I can't place it.

(although it would be good for a laugh, B-Ono on the mic.)

I'd love to see this... :lmao:

Meanwhile rock is fighting back. After 5 or 6 years in the wilderness, there are bands that are igniting peoples imaginations. None of them have been on the mark yet, but they all have the right idea. It's not navel gazing, gloomy music. It's snappy, it's upbeat, it's bright and loud and it's proud to be ambitious and in the spot light. It's also slightly innovative, although not massively, borrowing heavily from the past. Franz Ferdinand in their snappy suits and their bravado playing stuff that sounds remarkably like old U2 in a lot of parts, eg "Like A Song" updated wouldn't sound out of place on their album at all. The Killers, who as I've said, with all their brightness and ambition wouldn't look out of place on the Popmart stage, openly worship at the alter of U2, and do so with a style of music that while with a different pace and goal certainly is using a formula that is well and truly on U2's turf (hello Pop). And the wildly popular theatrics of non-rock bands like The Scissor Sisters. People want their rock to be bright, theatrical, showy and bold, and that's a direct reaction to the doom and gloom of 90's rock. It's also something U2 knew and U2 were well and truly onto. It's something that U2 ditched in favour of jumping ship over to the pop side, and now people listen to U2 in reference to other pop music. It's squeezed on the radio between Rob Thomas and Gwen Stefani and it's way better, but it doesn't do that crossover any more. You used to be able to take a U2 song and play it on the commercial FM station, simply because it was U2 and they were big enough, and it sounded like an exciting breath of fresh air. Now it just sounds like higher quality, but the same air. The songs used to also cross over to the more alternative radio stations as well, but now on those stations you don't listen to a Bloc Party song, then a U2 song, then a Killers song. U2 have been dumped off those stations like they are carrying a disease, and they are, it's pop. They were that rare, great band that could take something that can be respected in a serious musical way and consumed by a mass audience at the same time. Now they are just consumed by a mass audience, and no-one would seriously compare them to the great new music of the past 5 years. It didn't have to be that way.

I wouldn't put The Killers or Franz Ferdinand in the rock category really. They are what I'd call "indie pop" bands - something like what INXS or Duran Duran were at their own time - fresh sounding but not really revolutionary. As you said they borrow cartloads from the past. Innovative? - hmmmm. The Killers use electronica but I don't see it as an integral part of their music but something slapped onto a more or less standard song. It's OK but I'm not that impressed - perhaps in the future. I see Pop today way more innovative than any of these bands. What I could actually put side by side with Pop is an impressive album released also in 97: "Earthling" by the rustless David Bowie. And before anyone says that this is not rock I'd invite them to listen to "I'm Afraid Of Americans". I'm not seeing bands today coming up with anything as cool and innovative as this.

The production on HTDAAB in particular has fallen for the 'louder is better' trap of pop today. This album actually sounds worse the more you turn it up. Sure, U2 can certainly push the knobs up further than on the 'quietly' recorded albums of the past, but they've pushed them all up to the top. Someone on here when HTDAAB came out put pictures up that showed what was going on in the music, and every level was at it's highest. Theres no separation there and the music suffers. Crumbs in particular is a mess of noise.

Production on this album is really questionable - there's not a clear production concept (except commercially-wise). It seems rather rushed: chimes and annoying keyboards everywhere and anywhere - most of the time out of place, Edge 80s trademark guitar sound all over the place (to make sure that this IS classic U2) and finish it off by pushing the whole thing loud. To think that Flood - yeah FLOOD (I was a great fan of his work in the 90s both as a producer and an engineer) produced COBL makes me cringe.

Chizip said:

Also it kind of disappointed me to see Adam say they would play some Pop songs in Europe because the record was more well received there. So basically he is saying U2 aren't playing the songs they think are their best musically throughout the tour, but they are letting commercial success dictate what songs are played where.

Yeah it's rather sad to think that the band are choosing their setlists based on what people are supposed to like rather than on artistic motives.

ultraviolet7 said:

Yeah it's rather sad to think that the band are choosing their setlists based on what people are supposed to like rather than on artistic motives.

...that's a surprising change...
15 pages of why POP wasn't so popular... and now it's accused of being popular and not artistic...
...hehe... eh:|

Please, LNOE, Lemon, Stay... are all OK for "artistic setlist"...

I don't think these tours (Elevation & Vertigo) are designed in the same way though. They're not a real extension of the themes of the album, as much as Zoo TV or Popmart were, characters and all. Those tours to a degree dictated what was played, how and when in an artistic sense. These tours the setlist can be changed nightly, played forwards, backwards etc etc

bathiu said:

...that's a surprising change...
15 pages of why POP wasn't so popular... and now it's accused of being popular and not artistic...
...hehe... eh:|

Please, LNOE, Lemon, Stay... are all OK for "artistic setlist"...

I said nothing of the sort. You didn't get what I'm trying to say. They did not choose to play Pop songs in the US apparently because Pop was a flop there 8 years ago. Instead they include Pop songs in Europe where it was better recieved originally.
Meaning: the band do not choose to play Pop songs as an artistic decision for this tour, but they rather include these songs where they believe they will be more appreciated and leave them out elsewhere. I don't like artists adjusting their decisions to what they believe people will like rather than making their choices based on an artistic concept. This clearly has nothing to do with considering Pop "popular and not artistic".

Earnie Shavers said:
I don't think these tours (Elevation & Vertigo) are designed in the same way though. They're not a real extension of the themes of the album, as much as Zoo TV or Popmart were, characters and all. Those tours to a degree dictated what was played, how and when in an artistic sense. These tours the setlist can be changed nightly, played forwards, backwards etc etc

I agree about this, however a more consistent decision as to whether to include Pop or not would have been more logical. If they think Pop should not be played now for whatever reason I believe it shouldn't be played anywhere. If there's not a particular reason for not playing it altogether then I don't see why they didn't play any of it in the US. IT's a bit weird, isn't it? I'm not saying that the same show has to be repeated everywhere, songs can come in and out. What I'm talking about is concept.

ultraviolet7 said:

I agree about this, however a more consistent decision as to whether to include Pop or not would have been more logical. If they think Pop should not be played now for whatever reason I believe it shouldn't be played anywhere. If there's not a particular reason for not playing it altogether then I don't see why they didn't play any of it in the US. IT's a bit weird, isn't it? I'm not saying that the same show has to be repeated everywhere, songs can come in and out. What I'm talking about is concept.

Aaaah but this is the new U2. They're quite proud of Pop outside of the US but in the US I think they'd quite happily do the Men In Black thing and zap everyone's U2 memories from 97 & 98 if they could. There's US U2, and The Rest U2 and I think they'll increasingly do things differently. Except albums, which will go to the highest bidder, and that happens to be the US.

And I don't think there really is a concept for this tour. I watched parts of it yesterday, and I get the feeling that in between songs a couch is going to rise from the floor with Oprah Winfrey sitting on it, and Bono's going to run over, give her a hug, and answer a few questions for Middle America before jumping back up and belting out the next song. If there's a concept, it's somewhere in that feeling, and it's not exactly artistic like in previous tours, where for example MacPhisto simply could not sing "I Will Follow" because there's no fucking chance MacPhisto would actually follow.

Last edited:
Earnie Shavers said:

You try to re-win the market.

That is what they've been doing for the last 5 years.

Well, I think we all know to take what the band says with a grain of salt. Bono and The Edge say it's coming soon? That *might* mean this decade :wink:

Yes, but note it's not just Bono talking, others are too - certainly that makes it more credible.

Adam says it will sound different? That doesn't mean it won't be along the pop lines. The style of the songs are all quite different, HTDAAB is probably their most diverse album in that sense, but it all falls under the pop genre. They could change the style, but if it's still swimming in such shallow water and is still as formulated as these last two albums - it's another pop album. Unfortunately, that's what I expect the album will be and to hear U2 swim out to the depths again, I think it will take a side project of some sort. They're on a financially winning formula and I think that's all they care for now.

U2's history of album trilogies would suggest another straight-forward album, then again, maybe not if Mercy is being kept for it. Xanax and wine is a more guitar version of Fast cars, with a bit more lyrics, Native Son is what used to be Vertigo and Mercy is something that was kept from the album at the last minute. If you like the 90's U2 I think you will really enjoy it. I'm sure the mp3 forum of this site has them all.

Hip-hop isn't the new pop. Pop is pop and it's simply the most commercial, bubblegum end of all musical styles. There's pop-rock, pop dance, and there's pop hip-hop (Nelly etc). I think that hip-hop really is the new rock. It's the only style of music that the Over 30's don't really understand (waits for an over 30 to tell me off...) It's the rebellion thing that rock used to have, but no longer has because your parents love it as much as you do. That's why the last mass-popular incarnations of rock were the extreme shocking end of debauchery and noise (think the hair bands and all their cocaine and women songs, or heavy metal bands pushing further and further into indigestible noise) and then grunge who brought a new meaning to the rebellion of rock "I am rebelling and I am unhappy because.... just because.... try and deal with that... I'm just going to deny everything". But here comes hip-hop and all it's offensiveness, coming from a culture that your parents don't quite understand and may feel somewhat threatened by, but one that we all grew up with. It's bright and bold and arrogant - the attitude reflected by it's generation of fans as their rebellion. Something Bono has also caught onto - as far back as Zoo TV - was that hip-hop was the music taking the most advantage of the technology of the time, not just in it's production, but what it's produced to play on. Beat heavy, bass heavy. Show cases that massive bottom end you can now get in your sub woofers in the same way the bands that showcased the range of stereo were popular when it first hit, and the bands that first showcased the range of the CD were popular when it first hit. I think it's another reason why U2 employed the technology of electronica to seriously beef up their bottom end and give it a thump with Pop.

I think hip hop is the new pop and its producers are the new stars of music. Who do you think does Justin Timberlake or Eminem have to thank for? Neptunes and dr Dre. Unlike rock, the white artists can't really take over this genre. It's on MTV, it's on the charts.

U2 doing pop isn't the way to fight that as much as U2 doing hip-hop most certainly isn't the way to fight that (although it would be good for a laugh, B-Ono on the mic.). U2 are a rock band. My whole point is, I think if U2 were smart (and they always have been before) they could still be presenting an up to date, innovative, creative, evolutionary style of rock that while definitely is risky, would in my belief be able to throw some serious heavyweight punches on the scene. Bono still craps on about being a rock band and reclaiming some of hip-hops turf for rock. But U2 aren't doing that. The last two albums have made them a pop band. A pop band based around seriously loud guitars, but a pop band regardless. They're not reclaiming any turf because they have become the turf that rock wants to reclaim.

But what would a 40+ year old rock band really do on US charts?

Guitar bands are coming but all they really do is copy sounds that have come before. I also wouldn't call Franz Ferdinand or Killers or Scissor Sisters rock, but that's just me.

For all their bluster about the Edge on this record, the last two albums are the most reigned in he's ever been, by a mile. He's one of the most sonically creative guitarists of our generation, yet there's not a sonic chance or risk taken on either album. The guitar, and by association, The Edge, are more prominent on HTDAAB than on ATYCLB, but both are by far the least creative he's been. Pop for all it's 'electronic' bagging showcases what makes The Edge so good far better than HTDAAB. That's got nothing to do with him being okay with making 'U2' sounds on the guitar again, it's about how it's used and as someone said earlier in one of these threads, it seems like the guy has been chained to a post... don't stray too far there... just make that tingly/atmospheric sound here and there, but keep it safe.... now give us a little bit of a 'rockin out' solo, but keep it real safe and simplified... If it's the 80's Edge atmospheric sound you like, just listen to him on The Unforgettable Fire or the Joshua Tree again, listen to how free flowing it was, then go back to HTDAAB and you'll see what I mean. Reigned in a long, long way.

While I agree he's old-school sounding - this has everything to do with him being okay sounding like The Edge - I also notice new things, most notably In a little while, Love and peace, Fast cars, All because of you.

Bono's lyrics? Yeah, I understand him wanting to be more direct, but great writing can still be direct. Bono, to me, is the best lyricist of the past 20 years. From Unforgettable Fire on there have been few if any better. Do you think there's any ambiguity to the lyrics of One or With Or Without You or two dozen other U2 songs? There's way, way more there if you want to explore, but on the surface, on a first listen, there's a direct story and a meaning that an 11 year old can pick up on. The lyrics on HTDAAB in particular are.... just very average. Direct, yes. An example of good writing, no. Completely gone are the beautiful Bono lyrics of the past 20 years in favour of 'spell it out slowly for those who will never, ever pay any closer attention'. Pop lyrics. A deeper topic than your average pop song alone does not give the song depth. Most of the time you just feel like you are listening to Bono's last Time Magazine interview set to music, even to the point where there are exact lines from songs that you have actually heard him use in interviews before. There is zero depth to them for those who loved his lyrics for their amazing poetic beauty, the meaning after meaning that unfolded over and over again, the clever turns of phrase, imagery etc, and in his quest for directness he's managed to seemingly shed all of his ability as a writer. It didn't need to be that way. Vocally he's also just belting it out. He had learned how to work within his new voice, now he just seems to scream for the sake of it, sometimes it passes, sometimes it's awful. I can't listen to Miracle Drug at all. The part where he's singing "The songs..." sounds like a dog yelping. His voice throughout Original is really bad. He's thinned out and stretching. Even ATYCLB is way, way better vocally. That's got nothing to do with pop music, but it is an example of them trying to be something they're not. Bono used to work within his voice, and sculpt the vocal to suit the song. Not on this one.

Did you consider he's inspired by different things and is a different person than he was in the 80's or when he wrote One?

I'm continually impressed by his voice on this album - more clean and definitely more range than ATYCLB - and Original in particular is one of his best vocals on it IMO, only too bad it cracks right at the last chorus.

Agreed, I heard all the music industry now uses this kind of mastering/mixing increasingly.

I think the difference sales wise would have been minimal. We all know they're not happy with the production, and the mistakes are easy to hear. I don't think the production had any effect on that albums sales in the US, or it's image and reputation in the short term. U2 continually bagging it's production in the media ever since certainly doesn't help it, and in fact just solidifies the garbage rumour at the time that it is/was a crap record. They could be saying "Go back and listen to it again now, in 2005, give it another chance now!" but essentially they're telling those who never gave it a chance "Yeah, it's fucked, don't bother." Which is incredibly unfair on themselves and the album. Of the sins that were committed at the time that sunk Pop in the US, production was the least of them.

Notice they said it was "unfinished/unproduced", not that it's a bad record. I remember a Bono quote where he said Pop could have been a masterpiece had they a bit more time, and in the last Kot interview he said there's great songs in there.

Last edited:
Why is it generally assumed that Pop was a "creative leap forward" or "too edgy"? As I stated earlier, I thought it was condecension to the "happening" sound of the moment, instead of their own, new sound.

RobH said:
Why is it generally assumed that Pop was a "creative leap forward" or "too edgy"? As I stated earlier, I thought it was condecension to the "happening" sound of the moment, instead of their own, new sound.

That's what it was. Four middle-aged men, trying very hard to be hip. It wasn't nearly as progressive as people here make it out to be. It was U2 songwriting with new fancy treatments. On the worst tracks(Disco, Mofo, Miami) they let the treatments overtake the songs. On the best tracks(Gone, Staring At The Sun, Wake Up Dead Man) they got the balance right.

MrBrau1 said:

That's what it was. Four middle-aged men, trying very hard to be hip. It wasn't nearly as progressive as people here make it out to be. It was U2 songwriting with new fancy treatments. On the worst tracks(Disco, Mofo, Miami) they let the treatments overtake the songs. On the best tracks(Gone, Staring At The Sun, Wake Up Dead Man) they got the balance right.

You think Discotheque and Mofo are the worst tracks?

I really feel sorry for people that can't appreciate songs like that. Contrary to popular belief, Discotheque is not a dance song, it is a rock song. It is completely fueled by its guitar riff, which is one of my favorite in all of U2. As for Mofo, that's a song you either hate or love. I love it. I think it has unbelievable soul in it.

Oh, and they were still in their 30s when they made Pop. That is NOT middle-aged. This is 2005. Middle-aged is 45, minimum, to 65-ish.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:
I really feel sorry for people that can't appreciate songs like that. Contrary to popular belief, Discotheque is not a dance song, it is a rock song. It is completely fueled by its guitar riff, which is one of my favorite in all of U2. As for Mofo, that's a song you either hate or love. I love it. I think it has unbelievable soul in it.
i agree. discotheque is in my top five. :drool:

i wouldn't say middle-aged is 45-65 though cuz i don't want to imagine people living to be 130! 45-50 sounds right though :wink:

MrBrau1 said:

Funniest statement I have read on Interference for some time! The trouble with U2 "fans" like you is that if a little bit of Electronica gets into the songs then you run a mile. Mofo, Miami and Discotheque are the absolute essence of the Pop album. 3 fuc#'ing top tracks that the U2 of today are trying to turn their backs on cos they don't sit with majority of the record buying public, and the U2 of today is just interested in one thing, selling and being number one, not like 10 years ago when the music was what drove the band! The way the band talk these days I would be surprised if Mofo and Miami made their re-hashed version of the Pop album. I reckon they would stick something in like the yawnfest of SYCMIOYO so they could at least get a number 1 off the album.:wink:

MrBrau1 said:

That's what it was. Four middle-aged men, trying very hard to be hip. It wasn't nearly as progressive as people here make it out to be. It was U2 songwriting with new fancy treatments.

Can you please explain to me the difference between U2 bringing in Howie B in 1997 for the buzzes and whirs on Pop and U2 bringing in Brian Eno in 1983 for the synthesizers and effects on The Unforgettable Fire? Were U2 trying very hard to be hip with new fancy treatments then as well?

rjhbonovox said:

Mofo, Miami and Discotheque are the absolute essence of the Pop album. 3 fuc#'ing top tracks that the U2 of today are trying to turn their backs on cos they don't sit with majority of the record buying public, and the U2 of today is just interested in one thing, selling and being number one, not like 10 years ago when the music was what drove the band!

You are abso-fucking-lutely correct , my friend! :up:

:wink:

And another thing....you can see what the Pop album would sound like if redone today by what they did on the best of version of Discotheque....nearly all the whacky electronica sounds were taken away to be replaced with a stripped down and near live sounding version. One of the best bits of the song, and one of the weird sounds that sets the tone for the album, is the bit in the middle where the Edge's guitar is so distorted it sounds like a wasp farting (was how Bono described it back in '97) and it just is a great part of the song that was totally taken away on the best of version. So if this was the plan for this song then you can imagine what they would do on the rest of the album if they went back and re-recorded!

Earnie Shavers said:

Can you please explain to me the difference between U2 bringing in Howie B in 1997 for the buzzes and whirs on Pop and U2 bringing in Brian Eno in 1983 for the synthesizers and effects on The Unforgettable Fire? Were U2 trying very hard to be hip with new fancy treatments then as well?

Sure. In 1984 they were effective, and it didn't overtake the songs, infact, we got Bad thanks to the Eno Mood. Also, in 1984, Eno's ambient soundscapes weren't a trendy new thing. In 1997 they weren't effective, and they appeared to be bandwagon jumping. It was almost as if U2 decided, hey, Prodigy are huge, so are The Chemical Brothers, Rolling Stone say's this is the next big thing. Let's be influenced by Leftfield.

Last edited:
When you said farting wasp, I immediately thought of that middle bit of Some Days Are Better Than Others with the heavily distorted guitar or something. Sounds exactly like a wasp farting. :wink:

MrBrau1 said:

Sure. In 84 they were effective. In 97 they weren't.

But all that means is you, personally, didn't like the sound of Pop. It doesn't mean U2 were middle aged fools trying to be cool, as they have always played with the latest tools available, and have always brought in extra help to beef out their sound into what they want it to be. If they were just trying to be cool in 97, it was the same in 83. Whether one was more effective than the other is irrelevant.

And whether or not you do or don't like Pop on a personal level doesn't bother me in the slightest. But to suggest that what they did with Pop wasn't right for the songs is wrong. Bono even spells it out for you in Mofo "Looking for a sound that's gonna drown out the weather", and that big, big fuzz of noise that is Mofo - angry, confused, frustrated noise - fits the idea of the lyrics perfectly. I couldn't imagine Bono singing the lyrics and spirit of Mofo over the top of anything that didn't sound like a fucking huge, angry storm just landed in my headphones anymore than I can't imagine Bono singing the lyric and spirit of Where The Streets Have No Name over the top of anything that didn't sound like it was actually sprinting towards a better day.

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
When you said farting wasp, I immediately thought of that middle bit of Some Days Are Better Than Others with the heavily distorted guitar or something. Sounds exactly like a wasp farting. :wink:

Me too! :lol: I was just listening to that today, hadn't broken out Zooropa in awhile :D But yeah I agree that part in Discotheque is great, in fact the whole song is inufckincredible. Discotheque is the song that singlehandedly grabbed me by the throat and threw me into the world of U2, and that world was Pop. I have so many memories associated with that album - I was 9 for chrissakes! - and without it I would surely be a much, much different person. As much as I love every U2 album now, Pop is the one I still always come back to. Whenever I'm feeling shitty, I put on Pop. Pop is the first album I truly loved, the first one I knew all the words too, ect. Pop was easy for me to love... I didn't know anything about U2, I had no expectations for it, in fact when my mom put it on I was protesting (I had gotten the notion in my head that U2 was a heavy metal band, don't know why), but as soon as I listened to Discotheque, I was hooked. Pop to me is U2 at their greatest height, it's really a shame it's regarded as one of U2's "failures." Pop is NOT a failure. They aren't great songs "hiding" in Pop, they're right there! It makes me sad that the band seems to regret Pop so much, I really wish they'd embrace it, and it also irks me that they're going to play Pop songs in Europe but not here...for the love of Bono, bring some Pop back on the third leg!

When I first heard Pop I didn't think it was experimental or breaking boundries or anything of that sort, because I was 9 and it was the first U2 record I'd ever heard. Looking back now, it was really pushing the boundries of what U2 could do. People say "oh it's not groundbreaking, such and such band had done it before." Whatever, I'll accept that, but the point was it was U2 pushing their own limits, which is something I think they aren't doing much anymore. All That You Can't Leave Behind was risky and also pushing boundries for the band. It was essentially U2's first true pop record. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb is a brilliant, brilliant record. Every song is great and I consider it to be ten times better than ATYCLB (and no, I don't hate ATYCLB, it's not high on my list but I still consider it a damn good album). However, it's essentially more of the same. Yeah, there's songs like Love and Peace or Else, but basically the album is a more polished version of ATYCLB in terms of style. U2 is desperately trying to stay relevant, and they've thus far succeeded. However, I think another record like HTDAAB will do them in. ATYCLB was hailed as U2's third masterpiece...HTDAAB wasn't hailed as U2's fourth. It's getting good reviews, but not rave reviews. It's a safe album, honestly. Pop, on the other hand, was far from a safe album, but could be compared to HTDAAB... everyone ate up Achtung, and Zooropa was able to ride the coattails of Achtung and ZooTV (don't get me wrong, I fuckin love Zooropa, but I think it would have done horribly if it were released in 1995 instead of 1993). But by the time Pop came around, people were tired of the ironic U2, the industrial-techno U2. The same could be said for 80's U2 - the band got a lot of backlash for Rattle and Hum, because people thought they were being too self-indulgent, and people were sick and tired of the earnest U2. Now, people are starting to grow tired of the radio-friendly U2. If their next album is too similiar in sound and presentation to ATYCLB and HTDAAB, it could be as much of a "failure" as Pop. Of course, I happen to love that "failure," but U2 cannot afford that...if they want to continue being the biggest and, more importantly, GREATEST band on the planet, they need to begin pushing the boundries once again.

Wow, that kinda went off-topic...sorry about that but I've always wanted to say that...maybe there's a better thread to put that in??

Great post, Atomic Bono! :up: I can totally see where you're coming from. Even though I've been a fan since Achtung in 92, Pop was the first album I listened to in it's entirety pretty much at the time of release. Until then, I only knew the music videos and stuff. :rolleyes: So you could say that Pop was the first album I genuinely appreciated and loved, along with Achtung actually. Bought Zooropa a few years later.

Back
Top Bottom