MERGED ->U2 to re-record Pop!+ Bono talking out of his arse!+Wait,what's this remast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zoomerang96 said:
earnie is always right.

and mr. brau is always looking to stir shit, like me. the only difference is that i'm better at it, i'm quite good looking, and i have more friends.

:sexywink:

cmon... look at that innocent baby face! would he stir shit?

Zoomerang96 said:
earnie is always right.

and mr. brau is always looking to stir shit, like me. the only difference is that i'm better at it, i'm quite good looking, and i have more friends.

:sexywink:

you left out a very important part. My schlong is much bigger than yours. And I'm a master swordsmith.:wink:

As I play on the internet w/ my beautiful girl sleeping in the other room.:scratch:

Last edited:
As far as the 'Pop' thing goes, this is my opinion:

It depends on what the intention is. If the intention is to actually record new versions of the Pop songs, ala the Best Of 1990-2000, then I say don't waste the time. The production styles the band uses has changed so much in just the past eight years that the songs wouldn't sound anything like the originals.

However, if the intention is to take the original 97 'Pop' recordings and simply make modifications to what is already there and recorded, in the same they would if they were improving a track for single release, then I say go ahead and do it if you think you can do it without stripping 1997 from those songs. What I mean by that is, if you can make those songs even better than they already are but still leave them feeling like they're from 1997, from the 'Pop' album, do it. But if those songs are going to feel like they're 2005 re-makes when you're done with them, don't bother.

That said, I don't think the songs on Pop need any improvement. Except that I'd love to see a version of 'Please' that is the album version with the guitar solo added in, since aside from the solo the single version is inferior in every way.

Last edited:
I don't think Pop can be saved...it's just Bono making excuses for a disappointing album..leave it alone...anyone with ears knows that the problem with Pop is not the production, but rather the songwriting.

starvinmarvin said:
I don't think Pop can be saved...it's just Bono making excuses for a disappointing album..leave it alone...anyone with ears knows that the problem with Pop is not the production, but rather the songwriting.

okay, namkcur.... how shall we kill him? swiftly or slowly and painfully?

:wink:

Zoomerang96 said:
true. i saw your new pic. hello there :flirt: is that a stick of dynamite in your hands or are you just happy to see me? and more importantly, is that your nose or are you eating a banana? :sexywink:

Seriously though, why MOFO? Generic dance music, albeit it generic dance music with decent lyrics. U2 are capable of so much more than this tripe.

starvinmarvin said:
Seriously though, why MOFO? Generic dance music, albeit it generic dance music with decent lyrics. U2 are capable of so much more than this tripe.
i could call some other U2 songs generic, but this is not the thread for that.

Dance music? Did you buy a dodgy version of Pop off a street corner in Indonesia and get that awful Mofo remix in place of the original?

Mofo ain't dance music.

If they rerecord it, I hope they just release the new version quietly and still leave the old version on the market (or maybe release it as a new double disc, featuring the original and new versions.)

Because I thought the "Best Of" remix of Discotheque was great but THE BOOM CHA MUST COME BACK. And the "Gone" remix" was nothing compared to the original.

And if they so much as TOUCH "Do You Feel Loved" and especially "If You Wear That Velvet Dress", there'll be problems.

Why not just "fix" the songs now and start debuting new versions of them live on this tour, Bono?

Also wanted to mention that maybe U2 should understand that while they'd love to be the band that never went wrong, "Pop" as a failure works more for them than Pop as a success could.

It's the reason ATYCLB sounded so refreshing.

if u2 re do pop ill boycott it!!!!!! every one should do it!

they will just turn pop(the album) into atyclb and htdaab kind of album boring and ya boring!

leave it alone. dont spoil what ever good there was in u2!!!!!!!

namkcuR said:
As far as the 'Pop' thing goes, this is my opinion:

It depends on what the intention is. If the intention is to actually record new versions of the Pop songs, ala the Best Of 1990-2000, then I say don't waste the time. The production styles the band uses has changed so much in just the past eight years that the songs wouldn't sound anything like the originals.

However, if the intention is to take the original 97 'Pop' recordings and simply make modifications to what is already there and recorded, in the same they would if they were improving a track for single release, then I say go ahead and do it if you think you can do it without stripping 1997 from those songs. What I mean by that is, if you can make those songs even better than they already are but still leave them feeling like they're from 1997, from the 'Pop' album, do it. But if those songs are going to feel like they're 2005 re-makes when you're done with them, don't bother.

That said, I don't think the songs on Pop need any improvement. Except that I'd love to see a version of 'Please' that is the album version with the guitar solo added in, since aside from the solo the single version is inferior in every way.

I feel the same way as you, that if they ever do re-record pop (which is highly unlikely) improve and make modifications to the album that’s there, but don't reconstruct it. Keep the original feeling with pop. But it’s really waste of time anyway, I remember this Bono quote a while ago that if they ever end up repeating themselves they might as well finish up. Or something like that? Discotheque sounds brilliant as it is, the same as Mofo and a few others. There are enough different "single" versions of pop songs already. In fact I think there's just enough to put together a "single mix" pop :wink:

If this means that when I see them in September, I'll get to hear Mofo, Last Night On Earth, Wake Up Dead Man, and Please, then by all means -- DO IT!

Really now people, as bad as Bono was in that interview, is this Pop shit the only thing you want to discuss? I thought he was kind of rude to his fans in it. I'll see if I can find the whole thing.

In all my time here, I am still amazed at the lengths some of you go to to take up for Pop. It was a bad album and a lame tour. Most fans don't like it. The band regrets how it was done and wishes they could change it. If you like it, that's fine, enjoy it, but please don't keep whining about how much it's disliked. It is and that's not going away.

Last edited:
I say they also redo:

1. all the songs from Boy, like they are now with much slower tempos. Who needs to get pumped up anyways?

2. the original version of Pride; tune down 4 whole steps and Bono can kind of talk/sing it. Also, play it so it feels like you're dragging a dead horse.

3. With or Without You. what can I say? who needs to hear the original amazing vocals? Major RE-DO.

4. Desire: should've been acoustic from the get go. in fact, they can hire an entire arena on backing vocals. imagine how great that would look in the liner notes! besides, who needs a driving drum beat?

5. wake up dead man, 40, and WGRYWH should appear on record as snippets, the way they were intended.

JOFO said:
I say they also redo:

1. all the songs from Boy, like they are now with much slower tempos. Who needs to get pumped up anyways?

2. the original version of Pride; tune down 4 whole steps and Bono can kind of talk/sing it. Also, play it so it feels like you're dragging a dead horse.

3. With or Without You. what can I say? who needs to hear the original amazing vocals? Major RE-DO.

4. Desire: should've been acoustic from the get go. in fact, they can hire an entire arena on backing vocals. imagine how great that would look in the liner notes! besides, who needs a driving drum beat?

5. wake up dead man, 40, and WGRYWH should appear on record as snippets, the way they were intended.

:lmao: :applaud:

OK, now this thread can be closed, no one will beat that... :)

bathiu said:

:lmao: :applaud:

OK, now this thread can be closed, no one will beat that... :)

Give me a large fish, possibly a tuna and I would slap that post so bad it would be regurgitated in twenty seven different languages mouthed out phonetically by the Dalai Lama himself,

Boom Cha forever:rockon:

ZeroDude said:

Give me a large fish, possibly a tuna and I would slap that post so bad it would be regurgitated in twenty seven different languages mouthed out phonetically by the Dalai Lama himself,

Boom Cha forever:rockon:

...do your work, I'd like to see the results:wink:

tuna-misc.jpg

MrBrau1 said:
I hope they do it just to piss off all the Pop fans here. It'll purge this place of so many whiner fans who care more about attidude than music that it could only be a good thing.

I also hope they make another song-oriented album like the last two to finish that off.

Apart from being universally accepted as their worst work by critics and fans alike, Pop is their biggest kneel to music trends ever. The sound, the image, the tour.

Daring? Far less daring than AB or Zooropa.

Oh and, I'd say the band cares a lot about this album if they're still talking about changing it. Doing something anew is not apologizing, either. (since the band is the same 4 people who made the album - and weren't completely satisfied even at the time, I would guess they know better what they want to do with it more than any fan)

Last edited:
Pop is great the way it is!
I don't see why we have to go through same shit every few months. Every few months Bono says that they will redo Pop.
Let's see some of the facts about Pop's music:
-every song is longer than 5 minutes, so a redoing of them will make a 12 minute version of Discoteque...
-it has 12 songs, only Achtung has the same, and both are MAGNIFICENT!!!
-has new sound, it was weird for biggest rock band to "suddenly" go through a electronic phase, 1.but Bono didn't care what others think and made it the way he wanted, 2.but it was just a step forward after Achtung and Zoropa.

Few facts about that time:
-They didn't care about other people's opinion, made what they wanted
-tour was biggest and just most in every adjective(in positive way), so what if Uncle Sam didn't like it, that's not an argument of something beeing a failure

SO MY WISDOM:
Don't redo it. It's the best the way it is. What did they expect to do?An album better than Achtung and Joshua???
That thing is not on a horizon and it won't be until i make some music(read:for some time...)

Last edited:
A quote I read from The Edge when Pop was released "I must have listened to Mofo a 1000 times trying to get it right"........ looks like The Edge is gonna be listening to Mofo a couple more thousand times then!:wink:

JOFO said:
I say they also redo:

:up: Awesome post, Jofo!

u2girl, you don't understand pop.

have you heard that before?

there might be a reason...

Zoomerang96 said:
u2girl, you don't understand pop.

have you heard that before?

there might be a reason...

I think u2girl and U2Kitten don't get Pop. :wink:

*runs away before the flames come in*

Back
Top Bottom