MERGED ->U2 to re-record Pop!+ Bono talking out of his arse!+Wait,what's this remast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
3716 views and 239 posts later, I think I've officially run out of things to read/say about this subject. It's been entertaining and informative. Maybe opinions have been enhanced, if not changed. Big thanks to Earnie, Brau, Zoot, Namkcu, et al...
If only all posts could be this much fun.

Earnie Shavers said:

But all that means is you, personally, didn't like the sound of Pop. It doesn't mean U2 were middle aged fools trying to be cool, as they have always played with the latest tools available, and have always brought in extra help to beef out their sound into what they want it to be. If they were just trying to be cool in 97, it was the same in 83. Whether one was more effective than the other is irrelevant.

True, but as opposed to Eno who worked on every album since UF (except Rattle and Hum and Pop) in some extent and shape, Howie B - a DJ - was simply hired for Pop.

Doesn't that sound like trend pandering to you? The sounds on that album, the band image - Bono in particular?

U2 was never cool except in 91-93.

Last edited:
I've been trying for two hours to ignore this, but can't.......

U2girl said:
Howie B - a DJ

And I suspect that's actually where your problem begins and ends. Because U2 wanted to explore electronica further as a way to create and enhance the sounds in their head, they brought in an expert in the field. It's as simple as that.

These guys, Eno/Howie/Flood etc, aren't so much the simple knob twiddling producers as the guys who help U2 with 'whatever' else is going on behind the guitar/drums/bass/singer and how even those basic elements are shifted and beefed and placed to become what U2 want them to become. In that sense they are all the exact same thing. Eno is around so much simply because he is in very close tune to what the band want in regards to the basic elements that back their sound up. Simple synthesiser work mostly, but that doesn't always make him the main player. For example I would call Unforgettable Fire & The Joshua Tree the 'Eno' albums as his input is front and centre in shaping the overall sound and feel of the album, but while he is credited on Achtung Baby and certainly is very active on Achtung Baby, the defining sound of that album is most definitely Flood's work first and foremost. Bring it forward to Pop and the work of a strictly electronic artist pretty much makes Eno redundant, as essentialy thats all he is as well. There's nothing Eno can do that Howie B can't, and the difference between the electronic work of both of them is similar to the difference between bringing in a guy who plays great acoustic guitar and a guy who plays great heavy rock. They wanted a heavy, cluttered, beefed sound for Pop. That's simply not what Eno does. It's not a shift for popularity, it's simply what is needed where and when. U2 hiring Howie B for Pop fits perfectly with everything they've done before in regards to their producers/assistance needs.

Originally posted by U2girl Doesn't that sound like trend pandering to you? The sounds on that album, the band image - Bono in particular? [/B]

Not at all. Musically, no chance. I just think that it's the stylistic change that you personally didn't like, while in reality there is zero difference between that one and any of the ones before it. You didn't like U2 doing that with their music? Fine. I wouldn't in a million years expect a fan of With Or Without You to automaticaly be a fan of Mofo.

Also, U2, and particularly Bono, have made their 'band image' tie in with what they're musically trying to achieve forever. Follow the transition of their personal style along with their music and you can easily see that.

They're a punk band? Bono dresses and behaves like a punk rocker, pulling those standard punk rock poses for everyone in photos.

In the mid 80's? They're a big band of big ideas with a high degree of romanticism and Bono is all big hair and frilly shirts and suede jackets.

They're an earnest, honest, serious, truthful band in the late 80's? They start to dress somewhere between 'straight off the boat from Ireland' and 'straight off the farm from Ohio' and not a smile to be seen.

They're the ultimate devils advocate rock'n'roll show in the early 90's? Slick back the died black hair, slip into the all leather outfit, put on a big fat pair of shades and never take them off again. Have a little cigar hanging out of your mouth in virtually every photo, and take absolutely nothing seriously.

They're the ultra-experimental artists working with the Eno's and Pavarotti's etc on a conceptual album? Let the hair grow out a little grey, grow the goatee, slip on the tweed jacket and cap and look all grown up and like the wise old man.

They're the multimedia influenced band of the future? Turn those black shades red, shave the head, and dress like you fell straight out of one of the pop-art scenes booming out of the massive screen behind you, muscle shirts, sparkly cowboy hats, bright orange jump suits and all.

You're just an honest rock band trying to write a great song that the everyman can sing along to? Jeans and t-shirts all around. Conservative hair cuts. I could be the guy on stage, or I could be the guy standing next to you in the crowd.

And of course the way they dress is only the surface, but those image changes have always become a part of everything they do. From the way Bono conducts himself in interviews (during Zoo TV era virtually every Bono interview pretty much featured him in character as The Fly, all flirty and smirky), to every piece of artwork and every little tiny stylistic detail. Everything about their image.

Originally posted by U2girl U2 was never cool except in 91-93. [/B]

Well you fell for it hook, line and sinker then didn't you.

Last edited:
Great post, Earnie :up: You did an exceptional job of describing the U2 image throughout the years... pop art for Pop, that's exactly it.

Earnie Shavers said:

And I suspect that's actually where your problem begins and ends. Because U2 wanted to explore electronica further as a way to create and enhance the sounds in their head, they brought in an expert in the field. It's as simple as that.

These guys, Eno/Howie/Flood etc, aren't so much the simple knob twiddling producers as the guys who help U2 with 'whatever' else is going on behind the guitar/drums/bass/singer and how even those basic elements are shifted and beefed and placed to become what U2 want them to become. In that sense they are all the exact same thing. Eno is around so much simply because he is in very close tune to what the band want in regards to the basic elements that back their sound up. Simple synthesiser work mostly, but that doesn't always make him the main player. For example I would call Unforgettable Fire & The Joshua Tree the 'Eno' albums as his input is front and centre in shaping the overall sound and feel of the album, but while he is credited on Achtung Baby and certainly is very active on Achtung Baby, the defining sound of that album is most definitely Flood's work first and foremost. Bring it forward to Pop and the work of a strictly electronic artist pretty much makes Eno redundant, as essentialy thats all he is as well. There's nothing Eno can do that Howie B can't, and the difference between the electronic work of both of them is similar to the difference between bringing in a guy who plays great acoustic guitar and a guy who plays great heavy rock. They wanted a heavy, cluttered, beefed sound for Pop. That's simply not what Eno does. It's not a shift for popularity, it's simply what is needed where and when. U2 hiring Howie B for Pop fits perfectly with everything they've done before in regards to their producers/assistance needs.

Not at all. Musically, no chance. I just think that it's the stylistic change that you personally didn't like, while in reality there is zero difference between that one and any of the ones before it. You didn't like U2 doing that with their music? Fine. I wouldn't in a million years expect a fan of With Or Without You to automaticaly be a fan of Mofo.

Also, U2, and particularly Bono, have made their 'band image' tie in with what they're musically trying to achieve forever. Follow the transition of their personal style along with their music and you can easily see that.

They're a punk band? Bono dresses and behaves like a punk rocker, pulling those standard punk rock poses for everyone in photos.

In the mid 80's? They're a big band of big ideas with a high degree of romanticism and Bono is all big hair and frilly shirts and suede jackets.

They're an earnest, honest, serious, truthful band in the late 80's? They start to dress somewhere between 'straight off the boat from Ireland' and 'straight off the farm from Ohio' and not a smile to be seen.

They're the ultimate devils advocate rock'n'roll show in the early 90's? Slick back the died black hair, slip into the all leather outfit, put on a big fat pair of shades and never take them off again. Have a little cigar hanging out of your mouth in virtually every photo, and take absolutely nothing seriously.

They're the ultra-experimental artists working with the Eno's and Pavarotti's etc on a conceptual album? Let the hair grow out a little grey, grow the goatee, slip on the tweed jacket and cap and look all grown up and like the wise old man.

They're the multimedia influenced band of the future? Turn those black shades red, shave the head, and dress like you fell straight out of one of the pop-art scenes booming out of the massive screen behind you, muscle shirts, sparkly cowboy hats, bright orange jump suits and all.

You're just an honest rock band trying to write a great song that the everyman can sing along to? Jeans and t-shirts all around. Conservative hair cuts. I could be the guy on stage, or I could be the guy standing next to you in the crowd.

And of course the way they dress is only the surface, but those image changes have always become a part of everything they do. From the way Bono conducts himself in interviews (during Zoo TV era virtually every Bono interview pretty much featured him in character as The Fly, all flirty and smirky), to every piece of artwork and every little tiny stylistic detail. Everything about their image.

This thread has been very good. One of the few "Pop" threads to have that quality. Nice post. And a perfect bookend.

I think if Last Night On Earth had been the first single, Staring At The Sun second, Gone third, and then Discotheque fourth, the album would be, to Bono, good and not needing redoing. The fact that it was misrepresented with a lead single which didn't show much of how the album would be made it less to the public and thusly less to Bono. That said, I also think Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me should have been included as an early single (much like I think Electrical Storm -- not the Orbit Mix, but the original which is on the b-sides of the 1990s -- should have been on HTDAAB), Miami should have had less cheesy lines (my mammy?), and The Playboy Mansion should have been a b-side. I think Bono would enjoy it more. I think everyone else would enjoy it more.

01. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
02. Do You Feel Loved?
03. Last Night On Earth
04. If God Will Send His Angels
05. Discotheque
06. The Face I Had Before The World Was Made (a different name for MOFO)
07. Miami
08. Gone
09. Please
10. Staring At The Sun
11. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
12. Wake Up Dead Man

U2girl said:

True, but as opposed to Eno who worked on every album since UF (except Rattle and Hum and Pop) in some extent and shape, Howie B - a DJ - was simply hired for Pop.

Doesn't that sound like trend pandering to you? The sounds on that album, the band image - Bono in particular?

U2 was never cool except in 91-93.

please read what ernie has to say. then read it again.

and when you're tired of reading it, ask yourself "should i perhaps read it once more?"

hook, line, and sinker indeed.

Earnie Shavers said:

Hiring someone for just one album to me means pandering to the techno/rave scene of Europe.

Eno/Lanois both get credited so it's hard to say who has more influence, though Lanois spends more time with them in the studio and Eno comes in occasionally with ideas and suggestions. That said, the supposed "conservative" producer Lanois produced a big part of Achtung Baby, on his own. Howie B was U2 jumping on dance scene bandwagon.

Really? You don't think Adam or Bono's tour outfit - and what they wore in Discotheque video - would fit perfectly in a club or a rave party? And the first three songs plus Playboy mansion isn't U2 desperately trying to get played in clubs and enter that scene? The irony is that the most straightforward rock songs on Pop are the best. I like the songs on the album that they played live, after the first leg. So that's 7 out of 12.
That said, yes, I thought they looked ridicioulus on that tour and Pop is the one U2 album where I can't stand the sound of Edge's guitar for most part.

According to your analogy, so did you. Wearing leather and shades is the uber cliche of cool in rock. Mocking rock excess or not, he clearly loved that look as he still regularly wears leather and shades. How's that for irony?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom