MERGED --> U2 to quit Island Records +U2 on the move (to Mercury)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see how it's a problem for any of us anyway
unless you work for Island Records

indra said:

It strikes me as odd that the band would object to a "hands off" approach, at least in regards to recording. To me it would signify that the label trusts them to turn out a product which is salable without need for babysitting. :shrug:

Maybe it's the "successful older brother still wants attention from the parents" syndrome?

Maybe Island records executives used to come on in the studio while recording before...otherwise it wouldn't make sense that it would upset them. To not even get a "hello" while being their most succesful client, and certainly a loyal one.

(besides they have other reasons too, most likely)

Clients ALWAYS like to be reminded about how important they are....

Someone at Island screwed this up royally. How can you not be doing everything you can to make sure that your biggest client is happy?

This probably could have been salvaged with a one hour stop by at Abbey Road...and I can't think of a better place to visit a client...and if they're busy....you fade in to the background...I've done this a hundred times...but in the end, they're impressed that you cared and took the time to show up.

Westport said:
Clients ALWAYS like to be reminded about how important they are....

Someone at Island screwed this up royally. How can you not be doing everything you can to make sure that your biggest client is happy?

This probably could have been salvaged with a one hour stop by at Abbey Road...and I can't think of a better place to visit a client...and if they're busy....you fade in to the background...I've done this a hundred times...but in the end, they're impressed that you cared and took the time to show up.

but maybe they were on the edge of the move anyhow...like, they had this 'ally' in the guy who moved to Mercury, complained to him about how they didn't appreciate certain things about how Island was 'treating' them, etc., he cited factors he couldn't control etc...and then, maybe even after making it clear to Island that they'd like certain things changed and getting nothing, that "final straw" of poor client-service sent them into making quickly a move they were sorta planning on anyway?

Maybe it would only have been 'delayed' by a stop-n-schmooze, unless whatever problems U2 felt existed were addressed or the appeal of moving to be with their island-friend now running Mercury was somehow lost...

^You just know that the biggest party in town is going on at Mercury this weekend. Quite the coup.:yes:

And someone's Christmas bonus just went up by a bit.:dance:

This is strange. Why should U2 care if the label people don't stop in while they are recording? Is that supposed to be common practice? I thought most bands appreciated a "hands-off" approach from their label when it came to the recording process. I would understand U2 being upset if their label wasn't doing a proper job in promoting them, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I think there's more to this story than what we are reading.

Then again, it hardly matters since the Island label today isn't really the Island label of old. Chris Blackwell isn't with them anymore and they were swallowed up by Interscope/Universal a long time ago.

Is the "Saints are Coming" single coming out on Island? If it is that would probably be the final contractual release.

I dont see where it has been stated that this new album is coming out under Mercury but whatever, it doesnt bother me that it is coming out...I think the topic has been totally blown out of proportion myself, as long as a new album is coming out relitively soon who cares?

AtomicBono said:
does this mean the next album is going to be punk rock from Mercury?!? :hyper:

Maybe it'll be made from car insurance companies from the planet Mercury.

:hmm:

U2jer said:
Is the "Saints are Coming" single coming out on Island? If it is that would probably be the final contractual release.

This is in the very first post (which answers your question)

Lila64 said:
The first release on the new label will be a charity single next month.

Although no-one has clearly confirmed the new best-of ALBUM will be on their new label, we can probably assume if the SINGLE was on the new label, so would the album?

It's Universal Music Dist. and the label within that umbrella is Interscope. That is for the best of release, with the title still officially listed on the UMD site as "tba", meaning 'to be announced'.

Bono's shades said:
This is strange. Why should U2 care if the label people don't stop in while they are recording? Is that supposed to be common practice? I thought most bands appreciated a "hands-off" approach from their label when it came to the recording process. I would understand U2 being upset if their label wasn't doing a proper job in promoting them, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I think, looking back at the past couple of years with the knowledge we have now, it maybe was the case. Already in 2000, Paul McGuinness complained about the promotion U2 received with ATYCLB (or rather, the strange release schedule of their album, with ATYCLB having to compete with another album from the record label (one by Jay-Z) for the #1 position). And look also at the promotion for the last record. Many people complained about the way HTDAAB (and its singles) was promoted. The iTunes collaboration certainly wasn't something coming from Island. I think U2 also felt they needed to do it as they wouldn't get support from Island.

Now, with all of this, simply stopping by when the you are recording in the same city as your record label is situated won't solve everything. More talks would be needed. But not stopping by certainly send out a big signal the record label didn't really care anymore. Because I think the people at Island certainly knew/had heard of the frictions in the relationship. This won't be totally out of the blue for the Island executives. Or they certainly are deaf, dumb and blind.

I think there's more to this story than what we are reading.

And that certainly is true.

:)

doctorwho said:
Maybe as a "gift" to O'Donovan, U2 decided to release this superfluous "Best Of" to help support Mercury.

I have a better idea - release a new album faster than every 4 years. Then have more than one big hit song in the U.S. from said album. That'll be a nice way to support the label.

Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed? Just a thought.

indra said:

It strikes me as odd that the band would object to a "hands off" approach, at least in regards to recording. To me it would signify that the label trusts them to turn out a product which is salable without need for babysitting. :shrug:

It's still nice to be fussed over no matter how long you've been around.:wink:

Pretty sad. You go on Island's website and punch in U2 and you don't get much. Pretty sad when U2 basically made Island Records.
* Correction their US site doesn't have much but the UK site has more.

Last edited:
So has this report of breaking the contract with Island been substantiated or is this all just conjecture? I know it was in the New Zealand Herald but their "source" is an "insider." Funny no official word has come out yet...at least none that I'm aware of.

Last edited:
Holy shit, it's a QUINTUPEL POST!

But seriously, there's a lot going on behind the scenes that we may never know about. They had to release something in the press though, so they reveal this fairly inoffensive news about Island, probably just so as to not dirty Island's reputation too much to the public and other artists, etc. They still respect the label that much I'm sure.

From Billboard...

U2 has christened its new compilation "U218 Singles" and revealed additional details about the release, due Nov. 21 via Interscope. Although the track list has yet to be announced beyond a new song and a cover of "The Saints Go Marching" with Green Day, a limited edition of the album will include a 10-song live bonus disc from a 2005 show in Milan.

Also due on a date yet to be announced is a "best of" DVD collecting videos for the tracks from "U218 Singles," according to the band's Web site. In related news, U2 has split from Island, its U.K. label since 1980, and shifted to fellow Universal Music Group imprint Mercury. A label spokesperson denied a published report that U2 was unhappy with Island's "hands-off" approach to its career.

http://billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003223378

Surely U2 will remain on Interscope in the U.S.?

Jimmy Iovine is a great friend of theirs and he runs Interscope.

If they left Interscope as well, then I'd be really surprised.

It's all Universal anyways, hell, almost everything is Universal these days. I thought Interscope was doing a pretty good job here in the States. I guess we'll see.

U2dork said:
From Billboard...

U2 has christened its new compilation "U218 Singles" and revealed additional details about the release, due Nov. 21 via Interscope. Although the track list has yet to be announced beyond a new song and a cover of "The Saints Go Marching" with Green Day, a limited edition of the album will include a 10-song live bonus disc from a 2005 show in Milan.

Also due on a date yet to be announced is a "best of" DVD collecting videos for the tracks from "U218 Singles," according to the band's Web site. In related news, U2 has split from Island, its U.K. label since 1980, and shifted to fellow Universal Music Group imprint Mercury. A label spokesperson denied a published report that U2 was unhappy with Island's "hands-off" approach to its career.

http://billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003223378

Two interesting points about that blurb:

1. It says U218 will be released on Interscope instead of Mercury

and

2. Seems to imply the bonus Milan disc is a CD not a DVD

Guess we'll just have to wait to see what ends up coming our way in November. :scratch:

Utoo said:

Two interesting points about that blurb:

1. It says U218 will be released on Interscope instead of Mercury

and

2. Seems to imply the bonus Milan disc is a CD not a DVD

Guess we'll just have to wait to see what ends up coming our way in November. :scratch:

1. Interscope has had US distribution for the last few years anyway so this may or may not mean anything. Outside of the US could still be Island or Mercury.

2. Billboard was vague by saying "disc" so who knows

I'm sure Billboard was referring to the US release of the album being on Interscope and I think they were just re-wording what's already been said about the Milan stuff. I thought the key item addressed in this article was the refuting of the information about U2 feeling snubbed by Island.

Whatever ill feelings U2 had with Island probably developed over the last several years and the snub at Abbey Road was just something to put it over the top, something for the papers to print as a reason.

It's probably been a rift that had been growing for years.

That or Mercury will give them even more creative liberty with their release timetables and promotions etc.

Plus, don't all old relationships get stale at some point?
They'd been with Island in the UK for 26 years. I'm sure both parties got a little complacent with each other.

At first I thought, that can't be right to the fact that the new GH is on the new label, but then I realized that U2 unlike most bands actually own their own material.

Saw this on Yahoo:

U2 Votes Itself Off Island

U2 has found what it's looking for--a new home.

The Irish rockers have decided to bolt Universal Music Group's Island Records, the label formerly owned by music impresario Chris Blackwell, who launched the band's storied career over a quarter-century ago, and take up residence at Universal's Mercury Records.

The split was said to be amicable and reportedly came about because of U2's desire to maintain its relationship with music executive Jason Iley, who transferred from Island to Mercury last year.

"We foster strong relationships at Universal Music," a UMG spokeswoman told Reuters. "We have the best artists and the best executives and we're proud of how closely they work together."

The rep rejected earlier reports in British newspapers that U2 was unhappy with Island executives "hands-off" approach toward the band, which has sold upward of 170 million albums worldwide, has won 22 Grammys and has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

After gaining a cult following gigs in their hometown of Dublin and London in the late '70s and the release of a couple of 12-inch singles, U2 signed with Island in March 1980. Six months later, the label released the band's landmark debut, Boy, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Blackwell sold the label to Polygram in 1989 and, after a series of mergers and acquisitions during the 1990s and 2000s, Island is now under the control of Vivendi-owned Universal Music Group, which also owns Mercury Records.

During their tenure with Island, Bono and the boys recorded 11 studio albums and issued two compilations

The Rock and Roll Hall of Famers' final release for Island will be another greatest-hits CD. U218 Singles, set to hit stores Nov. 20, features 16 of the band's greatest hits along with a cover of the Skids' track "The Saints Are Coming," which U2 recorded with Green Day last month under the aegis of producer Rick Rubin at London's Abbey Road studios. The two bands debuted the song live at the reopening of the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans two weeks ago during Monday Night Football.

Proceeds from the sales of that single, which was released for download via iTunes last week, will go towards the Edge's Katrina charity, Music Rising, a program that aids struggling New Orleans musicians.

The album's final track, which hasn't been announced yet, will also be a new cut.

U2's label switcheroo and new album aren't the only thing keeping the band busy.

There's a new autobiography, U2 by U2, to plug, and yet another leg of the Vertigo World Tour to complete. U2 is set to play a series of dates in Asia and Australia that were scuttled due to a family illness.

In other news, according to the Irish Times, U2 just filed an application with Dublin's development authority to construct a 30-story twisting tower. Not only will it be the tallest apartment building in the city, but it will also be topped by the band's penthouse as well as a recording studio.

How's that for vertigo?

If all goes well, the so-called "U2 Tower" will be completed by 2009.

Back
Top Bottom