MERGED --> U2 to quit Island Records +U2 on the move (to Mercury)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tuwie said:
are you sure? mine say "interscope" at the bottom. the rainbow island icon is no longer at the top...

Island is their overseas company, if I recall correctly. :hmm:

J_NP said:
I had no idea people in Island were such like some m......fuckers , and liked to shot in the foot

I mean C'mon , It's u2 ..... This is just like Barcelona not givin much of Ronaldinho , not quite like coz Barca was big enough before , but Island WTF was it before these irish ?

After all why I'm so ........ they are bloody businessmen after all

:|

As the contract was signed with Island Records I dont see why the new Definitive U2 would have anything to do with a new record label. One could argue that this split was bound to happen years ago once U2 switched labels in America to Interscope, when Island wouldnt give them more advertising dollars.

Its because U2 was under Interscope in the US and Island for the rest of the world for the past 6 years....and I believe this new collection will be under Island Records.

Yahweh said:
Its because U2 was under Interscope in the US and Island for the rest of the world for the past 6 years....and I believe this new collection will be under Island Records.
Yes, that appears to be correct for the most part. It's still Island Records in Canada and the UK, for example. However, this new collection is now said to be under Mercury Records.

Insiders claimed yesterday that the band's members, led by Bono, became fed up with the Island Records' senior management's "hands-off" approach towards them, despite their having generated hundreds of millions of pounds for the label.

Friends said yesterday that the final straw came during a recent recording session in London. While Bono and the band worked on new tracks to add to their latest "Best of" compilation, no one from Island Records dropped by to meet them. One observer claimed this "put their noses out of joint" and did nothing to help the deteriorating relationship.

It strikes me as odd that the band would object to a "hands off" approach, at least in regards to recording. To me it would signify that the label trusts them to turn out a product which is salable without need for babysitting. :shrug:

Friends said yesterday that the final straw came during a recent recording session in London. While Bono and the band worked on new tracks to add to their latest "Best of" compilation, no one from Island Records dropped by to meet them. One observer claimed this "put their noses out of joint" and did nothing to help the deteriorating relationship.

:eyebrow:

I wonder if thats true :hmm: Really odd I would never have seen that coming!

I've posted my thoughts about it (and how it is connected with the release of the new Best Of and the re-releases of U2's catalogue) in the Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills forum.
http://forum.interference.com/t166420.html

Basically, it all makes more sense to me now.
And though the move is unexpected to me, with hindsight we may have seen it coming (with the way U2 were promoted the last couple of years, Bono's comments at the RnRHOF ceremony, etc.).

Still, :ohmy:

Yahweh said:
As the contract was signed with Island Records I dont see why the new Definitive U2 would have anything to do with a new record label.

Old Best Ofs are on Island Records (and I think they'll stay on Island Records). New Best Of will be on Mercury, so they will profit from a compilation of U2's back catalogue (as well as the rest of all the records U2 has released before).

Popmartijn said:
And respect.
And friendship.
And being taken seriously.
Etc.

:)

when i say its all about the money, then its all about the money, ok marty?

ok so the new best of is going to be released on the new lable Mercury, which really destroys the contractual obligation defence for this definitive collection
am i right or am i reading this wrong

and i just read your description in the other forum, its an interesting insight - makes a lot of sense and isprobably right -but from a music fan and not a business fans point of view, its still horrible!

Last edited:
menelaos said:
So does this explain the sudden Best Of release..??
yep i think it does. They needed to do 1 more best of so that the contract expired. Well they did it so now they are free to go.

schnumi said:
yep i think it does. They needed to do 1 more best of so that the contract expired. Well they did it so now they are free to go.

Er, the new Best Of is supposedly coming out on Mercury, not Island, so it doesn't explain the contractual fulfillment argument.

Maybe its like soccer in england , when a player is halfway through their contract they can talk to other clubs but they can stay till the end of there contract if they like.

I suppose u2's contract with island was like this .

Alright, I am confused. I couldn't even tell that they were still on Island because the last couple albums say Interscope (at least in the US), but The Killers latest says Island so it is not just that Interscope releases for Island in the US. It's all part of Universal but still confused.

bsp77 said:
Alright, I am confused. I couldn't even tell that they were still on Island because the last couple albums say Interscope (at least in the US), but The Killers latest says Island so it is not just that Interscope releases for Island in the US. It's all part of Universal but still confused.

U2, until now, released its last few albums via Interscope in the US and Island elsewhere, I believe.

digsy said:
and i just read your description in the other forum, its an interesting insight - makes a lot of sense and isprobably right -but from a music fan and not a business fans point of view, its still horrible!

:)

And true, from a fan point of view this is a bad thing (even though it might be right in a business sense).

unless it's going to effect the release date of the new album I can't say I really care

Back
Top Bottom