MERGED-->U2 to get nothing at Brits + U2 Won Nothing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have listened to The Scissors Sisters entire album, more than once. While there might be a couple good tracks on there...Take Your Mamma icluded, it's no where near as good as Atomic Bomb.

beli said:
Umm I think the question is 'Which album is more worthy to win the Brit - Scissor Sisters or How To...... ? "

Well, I've only heard a couple of Scissor Sisters songs, not the whole album. Its just something different and slightly camp. Sure its been done before. You could equally say Edge's ringing guitar on How to.... has been done by U2 before. I love How to.. But I'm also open to most music on its merits - lots of excellent albums have been released in the last 12 months, not just U2. Can't expect U2 to win every year. Also I think some fans are slightly blinkered (dont mean to offend anyone!) by their love for U2 that its sometimes difficult to accept there are other bands out there that can make brilliant innovative music.

Am a big U2 fan btw, but like to listen to lots of other stuff also.

I guess Keane's debut album would be my fav of last year. I know U2 influenced them a lot. Its just a very emotional album that gives me something How to.. doesn't give me. Equally, I find How to.. much more spiritual than Keane's Hopes and Fears. I guess it depends on moods etc, but def. Hopes and fears is as good as How to...

Last edited:
I agree with you Party Boy, but I just don't happen to think that The Scissor Sisters are one of those cases.

If anyone besides U2 were to win Albums of the Year or any other like-award it should be either

Elvis Costello - The Delivery Man

or

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Abbatoir Blues/ The Lyre of Orpheous

Especially the latter. It's definitely better than Atomic Bomb as an album, and I love Atomic Bomb.

I guess SS just got the mood of the public - that camp/overblown '70s sound hasnt been heard for a while and while I'm in no doubt, Elvis Costello's and Nick Cave's albums are better (they usually are better than most), they are not the most mainsteam artists. When was the last time a non-mainstream artist won major awards at either the Grammys or Brits? It doesn't happen that often. I do remember Zooropa winning best alternative album one time - am pretty sure - grammys back in '93?

Party Boy said:
When was the last time a non-mainstream artist won major awards at either the Grammys or Brits? It doesn't happen that often.

The "O Brother, Where Art Thou" soundtrack with a number of obscure artists won the Album of the Year Grammy a few years back. What did it beat..."All That You Can't Leave Behind". :|

Scissor Sisters CD will make a good coaster in about 2 years as most of these other over hyped bands will as well. No suprise that U2 didnt win after them not performing live.

You dont get an award on what youve done in the past you get an award based on what is out there at the moment or at least thats the way it should be....it shouldnt be about whether the album is better then Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby it should be about whether it is better then franz ferdinand, green day, or scissor sisters.....the one time I saw scissor sisters was on Saterday Night Live and to be perfectly honest they were terrible just a bunch of freaks jumping around in tights playing a terrible song but I havent heard the entire album so I wont judge other then what I have seen.

Pop Artist said:

The "O Brother, Where Art Thou" soundtrack with a number of obscure artists won the Album of the Year Grammy a few years back. What did it beat..."All That You Can't Leave Behind". :|

That's simple... ATYCLB wasn't album of the year... it wasn't even album of the month...

That's what I like to remind to some ATYCLB-lovers with attitude: "ATYCLB won lots of Grammy awards, it has to be good.:rolleyes: .
Well, actualy those were only the songs getting the Grammy... even they thought it was a crappy album.

The Brits big fat egg probably means they will also lay a big fat egg in this year's Grammies.

Cheers,

J

U2 Won Nothing

Well, the Sun was right for once, Scissor Sisters won both int album and best int band at the Brit Awards, leaving U2 with nothing.

But just to remind anyone who has forgotten, the Brit Awards are largely ridiculed by people outside the music industry. They consistantly 'jump on the bandwagon' by awarding new bands as many awards as they can. They see this as a way of making sure the music industry sells more records. The Darkness won 5 awards last year i think, and that just about sums it up;)

Also, did anyone know that u2 won lifetime achievment at the Brit Awards, even though one of the rules is that you have to be British to win that awards? ;)

Re: U2 Won Nothing

Balfron said:
Also, did anyone know that u2 won lifetime achievment at the Brit Awards, even though one of the rules is that you have to be British to win that awards? ;)

Yeah - that was the best ever brits!:wink:

I think they're only up for 1 (or 2?) awards this year at the Grammys, no? Only Vertigo I believe. Kind of the same deal with ATYCLB as the album came out after a certain date? (but not the single)

I thought they would lay a big fat 0 at the Grammys anyways when they announced the nominations....The Grammys are very predictable Green Day will be beating U2 in those minor categories.....

Dont forget Steely Dan won album of the year not too long ago either, and who could forget O Brother Where Art Thou?

Ray Charles is going to win album of the year and a much more deserving winner...he payed many more dues then Green Day could ever dream of paying...and made many more classic albums then Green Day could ever dream of making.

Maybe if they didnt make such corny pathetic music early on in their career they might deserve this award on Sunday but they dont.

green day aren't that bad. i've just watched the Brits tonight and of everyone who performed they were much better than anyone else (they sang American Idiot).

I agree that theirs was, by far, the best performance this year, I hadn't really liked that song until then.

At least Muse won best live act for the last year, I was ready to stand up and yell "FIX!" when FF won it :madspit:

Back
Top Bottom