MERGED--> U2/Superbowl + If U2 performed again on the Superbowl (2006)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache is right on all accounts. The guitars were out of tune...Jagger was very good and has been doing the same moves for years. That's Mick.
I't did seem that they couldn't hear each other.
As far as copying u2's ideas...Bono has said it's the other way around. The Stones have always been cutting edge, and I for one am glad they are still performing...saggy arms or not!

I'm sure he's been doing those moves for years. I still say he looked hilarious though. Maybe if I heard them perform live, with better audio, I'd look past his spastic movements. Admittedly I've never seen the RS live though so I'm judging based on that performance alone.

btw I think U2's Superbowl setlist would have been:

City of Blinding Lights
One
Vertigo

/or/

City of Blinding Lights
I Will Follow
Vertigo

Bono never run round much at the superbowl... yes he never ran around the stage for streets did he :p

SETLIST

Something which has a lead in but without whishing to sound to repetitive like the last superbowl

How about that great song
SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY played as at Slane 2001 (albeit shortened slightly) before some sort of shout of AMERICAAA AMERICAAAA ITS A BEAUTIFUL DAY

the heart is a bloom... which is of course the first line of

Beautiful day (Seriously, the impact this song has had on mainstream culture is underestimated on this forum... it is possibly U2's biggest song)

Then lets close the set off with a bit of a rock out after a bit of sergant pepper
Vertigo (The single everyone knows off the new album)

^Beautiful Day I agree with...sorry but I dunno how well Fast Cars would go over in that situation. :wink:

I don't know if Sunday Bloody Sunday is really an appropriate song choice...ESPN used that as the lead-in song after half-time at the Super Bowl or some other game last year and I thought it was kind of weird. I mean, I follow Ohio State football, and I've not yet heard them use CS&Y's "Ohio."

:uhoh:

I thought the set they used at the Super Bowl a few years ago was perfect (Beautiful Day, Streets, MLK). That said I hope they never play the thing again. :no:

I thought the Stones did a great job with the time they had to work with even though the guitars were turned down way too low.

No other halftime show will top U2's for me. Ever. Unless they perform again someday

And if they did, I'd love for them to play:

Love and Peace or Else
The Electric Co.
Vertigo

u2's halftime show was absolutely perfect, and at the absolute perfect time for it to be absolutely perfect.

the stones had a bad night... there is a reason why most acts play with tape recorded material at the super bowl... they have 6 minutes to set up something that usually takes 12 hours to set up.

i'd be willing to bet something went wrong with the on-stage monitors, thus explaining why the band seemed like they were out of synch with each other and oh so slightly out of tune. it happens... i'm sure it's happened to u2, but it just happened to happen to the stones on the biggest stage in the world.

but some people here are acting like one bad performance by the stones negates everything they've done and automaticly pushes u2 lightyears ahead of them.

If U2 ever does it again they won't play Beautiful Day or Streets. I watching the Electric Co. performance on the Chicago DVD for the first time yesterday and it absolutely kicks ass. Here's what I hope they would do:

COBL
Electric Co.
Vertigo

Well U2 did play my halftime show, as I popped in the Elevation DVD. As I HATE the Stones, plus everyone I talked to said Jagger sounded like he had a stroke or something.

If they wanted to play it safe:

Vertigo
Beautiful Day
Pride

If they wanted to go all out HTDAAB:

City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
All Because of You

But the coolest one would be:

Love and Peace or Else
The Fly
The Electric Co.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
mick's been doing those exact same moves since the 60s... it's what he does.

And let's face it, Bono's got his repertoire of moves too...the whole collapsing on the stage thing, the jacket thing, the stretching out to the crowd thing...

Though I'm glad he finally quit doing those pelvic thrusts into cameras. Looks like that's one move he finally cured himself of.

tryan101 said:
who else gagged when you saw Mick's granny arm fat all whipping around?

:barf:

:barf: OH MY GOD!! That was awful - it reminded me of doing clinicals at a nursing home when I was in college!!

Headache in a Suitcase said:
u2's halftime show was absolutely perfect, and at the absolute perfect time for it to be absolutely perfect.

the stones had a bad night... there is a reason why most acts play with tape recorded material at the super bowl... they have 6 minutes to set up something that usually takes 12 hours to set up.

i'd be willing to bet something went wrong with the on-stage monitors, thus explaining why the band seemed like they were out of synch with each other and oh so slightly out of tune. it happens... i'm sure it's happened to u2, but it just happened to happen to the stones on the biggest stage in the world.

but some people here are acting like one bad performance by the stones negates everything they've done and automaticly pushes u2 lightyears ahead of them.

You'd figure that a supergroup such as the stones, with the clout they have, would be absolutely sure that everything would be put together perfectly way in advance. :shrug:

U2 wasn't perfect either. If I remember right, Bono's voice was spent after BD. It was very raspy and squeaky during MLK.

The only halftime show we'll ever see U2 do is one consisting of
A)current hit (like beautiful day was)
B)Super hit (like streets was, maybe next time pride/sbs)

that's it! that's how it's always been, thats how it always will be. no halftime show ever is...
A)obscure song
B)cult/fan favorite
C)debut after 20 years

It just doesn't happen. Everyone suggesting songs that are slow and meaningful, it would never work. Songs for the superbowl halftime show have to be either fast paced or if even the slightest bit slow (hey jude) need some participation from the crowd, or a mega well known song. SYCMIOYO/OOTS would fail miserably because it has no sing along parts and they are both boring to a bunch of drunk football fans. But hey, we can dream right? :wink:

(actually if I were dreaming it would be ZooStation/Bad(When I Look snippet)/Streets :drool: )

Love, and Peace Or Else could be an awesome halftime show song, as long as you've got Bono's drum theatrics.

INDY500 said:
HEY, IT WAS SUPERBOWL XL. XL IS THE ROMAN NUMERAL FOR WHAT?
FORTY!!!!
How could they not play 40 at Superbowl 40?

Nice observation, but I'm afraid only hardcore fans would draw the connection... or those well versed in the Bible. :wink:

Besides they would be more likely to play Stuck in a Moment with Bono sporting a "Hewson" jersey and tackling Edge than to play 40 at the Superbowl. :p

catlhere said:
Oh and yes, Mick Jagger was horrible. The actual BAND sounded decent, no problem there. But Mick prancing around in his shirt that wouldn't even fit Britney Spears, was just a joke. Please get this band off the stage already, I hope to God U2 doesn't become that way :uhoh:
I thought Mick was awesome. Displaying a lot of energy and working a diferent kind of stage and a diferent kind of crowd. I hope to God that U2 get all that energy and stamina when they reach their 60's.

By the way all the stations that seem to have broadcasted that Superbowl performance seem to have had some problems with sounds. For some the guitars were too loud and the voclas were ok, others the guitars weren't audiable and the drums far too loud and so on.

Personally I thought The Stones did a great job, they were energetic, raw and playing really well. Not to mention that Keith was looking cool as hell all in black. Mick was cool too in between the songs saying hi to everybody and being funny.

I tuned in to see one of the Stones drop dead. But they survived. They rock! Keith Richards is the coolest guitarist period.

If U2 played the half time show, then this is what I think or assume they would probably play:

Stories For Boys
Van Demon's Land
I Threw A Brick Through A Window (the entire stadium singing along to the "no one is blinder than he" line)
The Wanderer (with Joaquin Pheonix)
She Blinded Me With Science (cover)
encore:
Stories For Boys/ Ghostbusters Theme (cover)

Damn, I woulda said

J. Swallow
Pete the Chop
Boomerang

:shrug:

Oh, and the Stones kicked ass. Those of you telling Mick Jagger to stop, I suggest when you turn 60 to try doing that after living the life they've lived and being in the middle of a world tour, that you try doing the same thing. If you can do that as well or better, I'll give you a million dollars.

I think it should go
-4th Of July
-Boomerang I
-60 seconds in kingdom come
-Things to make and do
then the grand finale... Bono's head explodes from having to shut up for more than 15 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom