MERGED--> U2 Recording With Kanye West + Kanye & U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its fascination with Kanye is called self-promotion, and its objective is keeping the band popular as they are now, selling records and having singles in the Billboard chart.
Unfortunatelly, hip-hop is what is hot now. So hot that, is difficult for a rock song (even if the artist is well known) to get the top 20 in the US (an important market as you all know). The example about that this not even happens with rock music is that Madonna's "Hung Up" didn't get #1, and peaked at #7, despite its huge success.

I'll be sad to see U2 with Kanye because I don't like hip-hop and Kanye West is just 'another one', and he was not very happy about losing a few Grammys for U2.
I don't really know what the critics found spetacular about him. There's nothing new there. Just a formula applied to him.

Re: Kanye & U2

ozeeko said:
I think U2 will lose any at all credibility they have left by doing this. It's almost like a last ditch effort: hmm, who's the hottest artist out right now? Kanye West? Yeah, I hear he's popular. Let's record with him. It will attract more young people! Come on, this has disaster written all over it. Just record a good album that you're more than capable of doing. For the love of God!!!

Oh god, you're so full of shit. Just look at the reaction in here, a big portion of the core U2 audience hates this man. This isn't some plan to make more fans. U2 actually believe in this artist. They took a risk bringing him in on this tour, and they've been talking about him for months before the tour.

Why is it so hard for some of you to believe that they find this man inspirational?

Aygo said:

Unfortunatelly, hip-hop is what is hot now.

And has been hot for the last, what, 10 years now?

Aygo said:
The example about that this not even happens with rock music is that Madonna's "Hung Up" didn't get #1, and peaked at #7, despite its huge success..

That ain't rock, sweetie; that's rehashed disco. Very well done rehashed disco, but disco nonetheless.

^^^

Well, we're in 2006... If I remember, hip-hop (reffering to hip-hop in its actual form, because the actual hip-hop is not comparable to the one made 15/20 yrs ago) started his boom in the mid-90's, and it was not so huge as it his now... so it was not... hot! We could actually see frequently pop, disco, rock, alternative songs in the Billboard Hot 100 at that time... That doen't happen now, unless you was recently adopted by MTV and you're a breakthrough artist.

The question about "Hung Up" in not if it is disco or not. that's not the point here. Three years ago, the lady essayed to say that America represents. Every artist must know that it is "forbidden" to express if you want to be truly successful.
The new album and the new image is a tentative to erase that bad image left. I think the formula worked...
It's not about the song being disco. We're talking about someone that the US has been praising for more than 20 years, someone that has got inumerous top 10 singles, sold over 150M records and that is an icon of our era, despite its age that seems to be irrelevant.
I think the same should be happening with U2. The point with these kind of artists now is not if they're music style is rulling the Us market, but if people are getting tired of them or not. The Madonna boycott to the new single still remains to her previous work backlash.

I'm just glad that the hip-hop wave is not so huge in Europe (and in Ocidental Europe...), I'd probably get tired of hearing the same old useless music-shit everytime...

Re: Re: Kanye & U2

doubleU said:

Oh god, you're so full of shit. Just look at the reaction in here, a big portion of the core U2 audience hates this man. This isn't some plan to make more fans. U2 actually believe in this artist. They took a risk bringing him in on this tour, and they've been talking about him for months before the tour.

Why is it so hard for some of you to believe that they find this man inspirational?

Do you ever question anything U2 does? I don't hate Kanye. I just think it's the wrong move for them at this point. After being in the spotlight with the Ipod's and the Grammy's and Bono's political crusades, I would prefer they disappear and get really inspired. And I know I'm not the only one who thinks this! Seriously. Enough of playing the safe commercial angle! And I know what you're going to say, oh they're recording with a hip hop artist, that's revolutionary and inspired, no it ain't! That's seriously old at this point! And you think they believe in his music. Maybe they admire him. But why HIM? There's plenty of other rappers out there, more anonymous ones who are inspirational and doing their own thing. But they safely focus on Kanye because they know it's a smart business decision. Think about that! They had Kanye on the tour because he's the king of hip hop right now, just like they are the kings of rock (according to them). It's all about surrounding themselves with artists that they know they can sell music easily with. If U2 wanted to record with Tool, or Deftones, or an indie band lesser known, maybe even an Irish band, that would be ballsy. But Kanye? Doesn't sound like a move of inspiration to me. And Kanye's already been recording with rock artists, like that dude from Maroon 5. It's not uncharted waters were talking here. And I resent you thinking people are full of shit for actually disapproving of a potential U2 decision. I'm sorry but I just can't worship every latest move on U2's part.

Re: Re: Re: Kanye & U2

ozeeko said:

If U2 wanted to record with Tool

:drool:

sorry, just had to point that out.

but it'll never happen.

Kanye's good, but overrated. I wouldn't care if they recorded a song with him though, I don't like the MJB One thing but I don't get upset about it, I just ignore it. Come on people, it's not like U2 is gonna release an entire album with Kanye. If they recorded with him it'd just be one song (unless he produced them, which I'd totally approve). So I don't think it would really matter, it's not like it would significantly put back recording of the album.

Probably what will happen is Bono or U2 may end up on a Kanye song. It's much more likely that they'd be on his album than Kanye being on U2's album, I think.

Re: Re: Re: Kanye & U2

ozeeko said:

Do you ever question anything U2 does?

All the time. I question New York, Miami, Discoteque, and so on.

ozeeko said:

There's plenty of other rappers out there, more anonymous ones who are inspirational and doing their own thing. But they safely focus on Kanye because they know it's a smart business decision. Think about that! They had Kanye on the tour because he's the king of hip hop right now, just like they are the kings of rock (according to them). It's all about surrounding themselves with artists that they know they can sell music easily with.
Did you not see the tour boards reaction to Kanye opening for them? Many said they would boo him, before even seeing him live people were making judgements about his performance. Yeah, sounds like the easy step to make.:|

ozeeko said:

If U2 wanted to record with Tool, or Deftones, or an indie band lesser known, maybe even an Irish band, that would be ballsy. But Kanye? Doesn't sound like a move of inspiration to me. And Kanye's already been recording with rock artists, like that dude from Maroon 5. It's not uncharted waters were talking here. And I resent you thinking people are full of shit for actually disapproving of a potential U2 decision. I'm sorry but I just can't worship every latest move on U2's part.
No one is worshiping anything. In fact at this point it's just a rumor. A rumor that I like. It doesn't matter if it's uncharted waters or not. And it doesn't matter who. But for you to suggest that the only reason they would choose to record with Kanye is that "they hear he's popular", or that "he'll attract a younger crowd" is bullshit. If they wanted to record for the sake of "hey they are popular", and "they will attract a younger audience" they'd be recording with Eminem, The Killers, 50 Cent, or someone like that. But you wouldn't want to look at facts would you?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Kanye & U2

doubleU said:

All the time. I question New York, Miami, Discoteque, and so on.

Did you not see the tour boards reaction to Kanye opening for them? Many said they would boo him, before even seeing him live people were making judgements about his performance. Yeah, sounds like the easy step to make.:|

No one is worshiping anything. In fact at this point it's just a rumor. A rumor that I like. It doesn't matter if it's uncharted waters or not. And it doesn't matter who. But for you to suggest that the only reason they would choose to record with Kanye is that "they hear he's popular", or that "he'll attract a younger crowd" is bullshit. If they wanted to record for the sake of "hey they are popular", and "they will attract a younger audience" they'd be recording with Eminem, The Killers, 50 Cent, or someone like that. But you wouldn't want to look at facts would you?

What facts are we talking about here? I know tons of adults who listen to Eminem, The Killers and 50 Cent, so it's not just young people those artists are reaching. And are you saying Kayne does not attract a younger audience, only intellectuals quite like yourself? I got younger siblings and they all rave about Kanye. Look, you can spin it all you want, but the fact remains Kanye has been this year's music critic darling of hip hop and that to me seems like U2 conducting smart business by embracing him, on tour or in the studio or whatever. Not to mention he was next in line to win the Grammy. Obviously U2 didn't have to look too far down the line. However, I'm glad it's not Coldplay they're considering. Also, you see things your way and I see it my way. You see it as risky and inspirational while I see it similar to the What's Going On single (which was charity and all, but still it comes down to grabbing whoever's in the spotlight at the moment). If this is a rumor that you like, then I'm happy for you. Me, I couldn't be more pessimistic and I'm hoping and praying that a rumor is all it ever will be. Now if they wanted to resurrect Sir Mix Alot, that would be risky!

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Kanye & U2

AtomicBono said:

:drool:

sorry, just had to point that out.

but it'll never happen.

Kanye's good, but overrated. I wouldn't care if they recorded a song with him though, I don't like the MJB One thing but I don't get upset about it, I just ignore it. Come on people, it's not like U2 is gonna release an entire album with Kanye. If they recorded with him it'd just be one song (unless he produced them, which I'd totally approve). So I don't think it would really matter, it's not like it would significantly put back recording of the album.

Probably what will happen is Bono or U2 may end up on a Kanye song. It's much more likely that they'd be on his album than Kanye being on U2's album, I think.

Hummm... I guess you are right, AtomicBono... I hope is just like you said

Back
Top Bottom