MERGED ----> U2 now: Dare to read! And respond! (parts 1 & 2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onyourkneesboy

The Fly
U2 now: Dare to read! And respond! (part 1)

Ok, first of: I LOVE this band, and have been loving this been for 20 years now and follow almost every step they make. That why I may sound rough and harsh on a lot of points. But that just because I care so much !!!

I’m aware that with this (after)review I may annoy a few people, but it’s the way how I hear this album after several months sinking in.
Well, here we go: One can hear U2 are now arrived stars. But they should beware of not becoming a huge “listen-how-much-big-hits-we-had-over-the-years”-act like the Rolling Stones and wanting to become everybody’s friend. The music tends to be thrown in the back-seat in favor of becoming the biggest band in the world. Let’s face it: IF they would do a GREATEST-HITS-tour now, it would be the SAME setlist as the Vertigo-tour!!! Look at all the singles played. It’s more likely that God would show up in the sky at a U2 show, than that U2 would play: In God’s Country, Acrobat, Please, Love Is Blindness, When I look At The World, The Unforgettable Fire, God II, Lemon, etc...The real fans would go bezerk and die on the spot from amazement!! But don’t worry, this will never happen... They just play the crowd-pleasers for 90%. There was always something special about U2 and they should guard that more. I’m sorry, but those are the facts.
Like the tour there’s not much guts on this album, they play it safe... And although Bono said they want to write and compose as a band again: they did not ! No wonder, Bono was hardly around in the studio. Did his parts afterwards. Edge was doing a lot of composing and mixing etc. on his own. One can really hear: once we have some spare time (apart from saving Africa, shaking hands with politicians, buying large houses, showing up at celeb-friends parties) we’ll write some songs for an album again. So they did not 100 % succeed to write an album remotely close to the quality like Achtung Baby.
They succeeded on 100% on Achtung Baby! Here on this album there was no clear goal, so all options were open. They hung around as a band. They fought with each other as a band. They talked as a band. And they were struggling as a band to find unknown territory. And they got there! Not to talk about Zooropa! Fantastic! Even POP! U2 very daring and pushing themselves. New ground, new styles. Even if you don’t like this period one must admit it was new. The listener had no clue what they would come up with, while waiting for this albums to be released. Afterwards these songs have the lasting power!
Nowadays with the ATYCLB/HTDAAB-album (era) you already know what to expect. Matured glossy familymen who have everything figured out in life and musically. Obviously they have no more goals and fantasy and are relying on the old U2 sound by lack of inspiration.
U2’s problem always has been: We want to ROCK! Come on guys, you are (thank God!) no Guns and Roses or Bon Jovi:madspit: (excuse me for swearing!)
I always thought U2 is at it’s best on, for them, unknown territory. Like the dance-influences, techno, funk and soul on Achtung Baby, Zooropa and POP! Listen how much percussion is used on AB compared to HTDAAB! AB swings, has hips and feet and sounds multi-dimensional!
HTDAAB therefore sounds one-dimensional and a lot of times flat. But that’s because they want to rock so much! Leave it be boys!! Boy, War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Zooropa is not even close to rock but are your best albums/songs ever! Melodic Punk/New Wave/Outtaspace maybe, but not rock! It’s a sound better than rock!!! Bring some experimenting back in! Explore!
I’m not saying HTDAAB is crap but the amount of really great songs is to little. (Except for A Man And A Woman, Yahweh) Anyway, here’s how I hear the songs. It’s divided in + and – sections:

Vertigo
+: This seems to be THE rock-song U2 have been searching for all their career. And they found it! Great riff, simple, basic, uplifting, old-(Boy)U2 meets new (2004) U2!
-: ehm….

Conclusion: great rock-song!

Miracle Drug
+: The guitar-sound Edge uses in the chorus (“The songs are in…”) is nice, also the guitar-solo after “God I need you help tonight..” is great, very driving.
-: The song is to obvious, to flat and it’s mainly Larry and Edge’s fault. Especially in the choruses (“the songs are in…”) their style of playing is to straight-on and predictable: Edge hits his chords just straight-on! And Larry hits his more and more occurring break beats (Last Night On Earth, Gone, Beautiful Day, Walk On (live)) with cymbals to it.
It just doesn’t lift of, it’s stays down. Adam is not to inventive here either. And Bono’ s singing is not really adventurous. Also the “whoa’s, yeah’s..” in the midsection with Edge’s (bit cheesy) slide guitar makes this part sound lazy! Compare this to the midsection of Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (..”the deeper I spin…the hunter will rise” etc..) Here they take you on a trip like if they’re painting a picture right on the spot for you. Beautiful! At the end of Miracle Drug the band is searching for an end and the song just “ends”! Not a lot happened…

Conclusion: Nice song but nothing more than that, it’s a to obvious sweet U2 song, so therefore to flat.

Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
+: An early highlight on the album. The song is both sensitive and huge. I was positively surprised when on first listen I expected a huge chorus (“…and it’s you when I look in the mirror”) but instead they kept it very subtle and fragile with this falsetto-singing. Very original. Also it builds with a very nice bridge to a fantastic climax.
-: Maybe Edge’s guitar “hopping” between mainly 2 notes during the chorus (“…and it’s you when I look in the mirror”) is a little annoying. He could have thought of something a little more melodic.

Conclusion: Goose-bumps! A lot of things happening here. Very emotional. (in a good sense)

(more to come)

Well I do think a review 10 months after a release probably has a bit better perspective than a review 1 day after a release.

Not to say I agree or disagree with what he said (i stopped reading after a couple lines)

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yet you haven't found a new forum...:huh:

:lol:

Originally posted by onyourkneesboy

(more to come)

oh BOY, I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!111111oneoneone :hyper:

seriously, did you just like come in here and copy and paste the complaints of people on this board and consolidate it into one somewhat incoherent and superfluously long post? good job :up:

I like how people complain that U2 is not rock enough, and then when U2 comes out with rock songs like Vertigo and All Because of You people complain that U2 should be more "atmospheric" and "experimental." Because songs like Last Night on Earth, The Fly, and In God's Country aren't "rock."

I also like how people have to clarify that they're diehard U2 fans before posting their diatribe on why U2 sucks now. Because we wouldn't have guessed you were a fan, posting on a U2 message board and all.

I’m not saying HTDAAB is crap but the amount of really great songs is to little. (Except for A Man And A Woman, Yahweh) Anyway, here’s how I hear the songs. It’s divided in + and – sections:

Vertigo
+: This seems to be THE rock-song U2 have been searching for all their career. And they found it! Great riff, simple, basic, uplifting, old-(Boy)U2 meets new (2004) U2!
-: ehm….

Conclusion: great rock-song!

Wait, weren't you just complaining about how U2 isn't really a rock band and you'd rather them experiment? "The amount of really great songs is too [spelling corrected] little (Except for A Man and A Woman, Yahweh)" So (if I'm reading this right) the only great songs are A Man and a Woman and Yahweh...and Vertigo, which is apparently a "great rock-song." And I see you seem to like Sometimes a lot too...so...what the fuck are you complaining about again?

Re: U2 now: Dare to read! And respond! (part 1)

Well done for taking the time to put that whole thing together, even though I disagree with most of it. I know I certainly don't care enough to do anything like that, so good on ya for expressing yourself.

onyourkneesboy said:

Miracle Drug
Compare this to the midsection of Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (..”the deeper I spin…the hunter will rise” etc..) Here they take you on a trip like if they’re painting a picture right on the spot for you. Beautiful! At the end of Miracle Drug the band is searching for an end and the song just “ends”! Not a lot happened…
Well, I did compare MD's ending bit, "Beneath the noise, below the din...." with WGRYWH, and I still think MD beats it by miles. Just my opinion though.

BTW, the hunter doesn't rise, he sins. Just so you know. :)

onyourkneesboy said:

Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own

-: Maybe Edge’s guitar “hopping” between mainly 2 notes during the chorus (“…and it’s you when I look in the mirror”) is a little annoying. He could have thought of something a little more melodic.

Haha, yes. I think the same each time I hear it. That hopping between two notes gets a little boring, I wish Edge could have found something a bit more sophisticated here.

Re: Re: U2 now: Dare to read! And respond! (part 1)

U2Man said:

Haha, yes. I think the same each time I hear it. That hopping between two notes gets a little boring, I wish Edge could have found something a bit more sophisticated here.

Actually a mate of mine pointed out to me recently that that part of the song didnt sound too good.

I'd never really thought about it before, but it starts to annoy ME now when I hear it!:ohmy: I'll just have to concentrate on the vocals instead!:wink:

Just because Zooropa and Pop were "new sounding" doesn't make them good. If your'e looking for new soudning then there aren't many bands out there who produce a new sounding album each release. At least U2's songs don't all sound the same on the album, like freakin Maroon 5 :|

indeed.

they're their very best work, in my opinion.

i've heard far more people agree with that on this board, than people who've said atyclb or bomb are the band's best work.

not that that matters, but take it for what it's worth.

Let me make myself clear before I comment on this... I AM A LED ZEPPELIN fan !!!!!!!!!!

There.

I said it.

LOL
But seriously now.
U2 is a great band and the last record is also one of their best.
You really can´t please everyone ALL the time.

Perhaps if they did a duet with Ozzy Ozbourne and Coldplay every one would like them better?
LOL

Max_theHitman said:
Let me make myself clear before I comment on this... I AM A LED ZEPPELIN fan !!!!!!!!!!

There.

I said it.

LOL
But seriously now.
U2 is a great band and the last record is also one of their best.
You really can´t please everyone ALL the time.

Perhaps if they did a duet with Ozzy Ozbourne and Coldplay every one would like them better?
LOL

huh?

shaun vox said:
who cares just do what i did, just find a new band!!

Do you ever post at mygnr.com Shaun Vox? Just wondering. I used to moderate there and then I quit and then I got in a "feud" with the administrator and then they banned me. I got banned form a Guns N' Roses site for speaking my mind! What the hell is that? That's like Steven getting kicked out of Guns N' Roses for doing drugs.

Off-topic...

Guns N' Roses... how can anyone move from U2 saying that they are boring these days, when these days g'n'r and especially Axl Rose are completely ridiculous... it is not Guns N Roses anymore? they are planning to release Chinese democracy for how many years...???
:huh: :huh:

Well, but don't get me wrong, I really like Guns... but they are... gone.

how, and the "actual" guns were expected to come here to Portugal, to Rock In Rio... I had already my ticket... but they cancelled because of problems with band members... :| thank god they were replaced by foo fighters and I went the same way.

On-topic...

Well, you're just another one guy that dislikes the 00's and loves the 90's. I like both decades so this 90s vs 00s thing is a bit strange to me.

The 90s U2 were more interesting and exciting. Period.
But the 00s U2 are making great songs, some of my favourite (walk on, kite, yahweh, cobl), they have a lot of soul, and they are being themselves.

btw

achtung baby #2
pop #7
zooropa #10

atyclb #9
htdaab #5

:eyebrow:

Last edited:
wait, U2 and Ozzy and Coldplay all singing together? that would be amazing.

Amazing like a car crash or something.

I stopped reading as soon as he said that a "Greatest Hits" tour would be the exact same thing as the current Vertigo set-list. Uh... right. :rolleyes: I'm sure they'd play "An Cat Dubh" in a Greatest Hits tour. Heck, why not throw in those monster hits like "Love & Peace" and "Yahweh" - both were chart-toppers around the globe.

Bottom line is that ANY tour from ANY band serves too purposes: (1) to promote new material; (2) to let fans experience some of their favorite songs. U2's tours have always featured 7 or more songs from their newest release. The remaining songs are from past works. The average fan who may see only one or two shows will want to hear the big hits, not some obscure track. Yet, U2 does perform some obscure tracks or smaller hit songs. "Gloria" is well-known by everyone hear on this board, but how many average fans know of this song from what is arguably U2's least popular album? My friend didn't even recognize "Out of Control" when I saw a concert with him!

So if you think this is a "Greatest Hits" tour, then your argument is about 13 years too late - when the same was said during the ZOO TV tour (and again during PopMart and again during Elevation). In other words, different time, but same gripe.

AtomicBono said:

oh BOY, I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!111111oneoneone :hyper:

seriously, did you just like come in here and copy and paste the complaints of people on this board and consolidate it into one somewhat incoherent and superfluously long post? good job :up:

Got a point there, I'll give this person the benefit of the doubt, but it does sound like a lot of the same complaints about the new album and U2.

Check this out, the writer does make jabs at U2, their new album, but there's a sense of humor about it too. Pretty detailed too, now to me, this seems to come from someone who really listened to this album, paid close attention to the songs.

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3673&Key=guy&Year=&Cat=12

Why can't more reviews be this enjoyable to read, even if there's negativity?

OMG....do you seriously think Bono is going to say///"Ali hunny, i think i'll dabble in interference tonight...pull up a pillow, let's see what the morons advise tonight, it's always worth a laugh or two. *Bono sips from champagne, reflecting on the years of experience & knowledge gained throughout the years from actual professionals*"

onyourkneesboy said:

Nowadays with the ATYCLB/HTDAAB-album (era) you already know what to expect. Matured glossy familymen who have everything figured out in life and musically. Obviously they have no more goals and fantasy and are relying on the old U2 sound by lack of inspiration.

Boy, War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Zooropa is not even close to rock but are your best albums/songs ever!
I’m not saying HTDAAB is crap but the amount of really great songs is to little. (Except for A Man And A Woman, Yahweh)

This pop incarnation is one of my favorites. BD, Stuck, In a little while, Wild honey, A man and a woman, Original of the species - good pop. I don't have a problem with U2 sounding like U2 - Walk on, Kite, New York, Miracle Drug, City of blinding lights, Sometimes, Crumbs - good songwriting.

Speaking of rock, Bomb is an album when they got it right. Vertigo, All because of you, Love and peace.

Keep in mind U2 is not inspired by a topic (like war, atomic bomb display, America, Europe, dance music) like the albums you mentioned, nor are they in danger of breaking up like AB. (which, next to War, I would consider their most rock album) Lastly, they don't have anything left to prove to anyone.
Also, while JT, AB and War are by consensus their most widely recognised albums, I'm not sure UF or Zooropa have that.

That said, I don't think a theme is necessarily for a good album.
I would count Sometimes and Original as great, and MD, COBL and OSC as very good. That's almost half the album.

New grounds? The before mentioned pop songs, Grace, Love and peace, All because of you, Fast cars, Ground beneath her feet and Stateless.

Boy songs, Gloria, 40, Running to stand still, Zoo station, Who's gonna ride your wild horses and Miss Sarajevo are not really greatest hits tour material.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom