MERGED ----> U2 has finally sold out + On selling out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, U2 used to be the "guiding light" band...

U2 was always one or two steps ahead of the game...

I miss those days...

I don't want U2 to be the guiding light band anymore. I think U2 themselves want that, but they really don't have to be that anymore.

U2 are my favorite band, they were the first serious band I ever got into.

But I also like a lot more bands than just U2, even bands that might be more technically advanced or even "more relevant" than U2. But there is still a lot I admire about U2 so I am not going to just quickly cast them aside.

This whole thing is really funny. Some fans have big heads and get ticked when things don't go their way or when bands make moves they don't like. So then it's 'selling out' or 'non-relevant music'.
If U2 wasn't relevant than this album would tank. From first day sales, I'd say it's going pretty well. If they weren't relevant, there wouldn't be so many A+ reviews on the top page of this site. If they weren't relevant, there wouldn't be a web site like interference for people like some of you to whine on. The very fact that people are taking their time to debate these items shows how important and relevant the band is to you, so you're disproving your own point.

As to the selling out point, there have been some ludicrous statements - the one about U2 selling out on Pop and Zooropa in one breath and then saying they 'recycle songs' in another caves in that person's arguments. He's pissed when they do something different than what he's used to (selling out) and disappointed again when they sound more rock and roll (recycled). How ridiculous! As to the fact that U2 make money and are good at it, so FREAKING WHAT! Don't buy it! I love how some of you are 'compelled' to buy everything. U2 MAKE ME buy their music. How ludicrous!

You have all lost sight of the MUSIC. You do or do not like the music! Not whether U2 was on a commercial or whether U2 'made you' by an itunes box set. If you want it, you will pay for it. If not, then don't - and stop whining!!

U2 will be a band that 'sells out' when they start doing ads for coca cola or Kleenex. By promoting Itunes they are attempting to save the music industry and themselves from internet piracy, plain and simple - and they make money from their music as well. They are a great band and they deserve their money in my opinion. I gladly downloaded the leaked songs and even more gladly marched into Best Buy and bought the deluxe edition of the album. I will buy all of the singles and I will go see them in concert because I LOVE THE MUSIC!

So all you haters out there, should really re-examine your seld centered opinions or just move on.

I honestly don't get this:

A thread about farting gets closed because people complain it's 'offensive' yet threads like these, where people are being incredibly cruel to each other, using derogatory language, and being nasty and unpolite, stay open. This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Way to go, moderators. Way to keep the discourse civil.

And to everyone who has been resorting to child-like name calling - if you can't back up your argument without lowering yourself to the lowest common denominator, it's a weak one.

We're all U2 fans here, or at least I'd like to think we are. There's nothing wrong with a little friendly argument but this is uncalled for and out of control. I'm disappointed, to say the least.

welcome to Interference.com the land of double standards and out right insults and put downs in the name of U2. I wonder if you guys know the reputation that this "reputible" website has in the real world of U2 fans. Just to give you a hint...this site is equivelent to "The Jerry Springer Show" in the minds of many.

Is there another forum that's better? The @U2 forum is ok but it's kind of organized badly. This forum is organized very well, in terms of layout, topics, etc. If there were another forum that had this level of organization, but less immaturity and name-calling, I'd go to it.

There are many respectable, mature posters here, and I don't want them to go unnoticed. But CAPS, cursing, name-calling...it's all just disgusting. The moderators need to crack down on this crud, before good, decent, polite posters take their business elsewhere. It would really be a shame - there are some good folks around interference.

U2 was a respectable band to me right until this new album. I never had a problem with U2 being accepted by the mainstream. Achtung Baby was their best album and was eaten up by the masses. I don't mind that at all. In fact, I visited the Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills forum every week after ATYCLB was released, because even though it wasn't the greatest album, I still respected U2 for their largely successful attempt to continue in new directions.

However, I heard the Edge switch guitars probably only once in the whole album. Several songs could have been included as B-sides to Joshua Tree singles. SYCMIOYO is just SIAMYCGOO part 2. Bono and crew decided to try using the same backing vocal technique on at least 3 songs (ABOY, CFYT, and Yahweh)---this is a big deal when you're used to hearing 10-12 stylistically different vocal performances in the previous U2 masterpieces.

I think the album has good pleasant-sounding songs. But if I wanted to BUY an album with just pleasant songs, I'd buy a Clay Aiken record, and my CD collection would be ten times as large as it is now. My favorite artists are U2 (in the past), Radiohead, Outkast, Coldplay, Jewel, Norah Jones. Those are safe picks nowadays, but they knew how to stay ahead of the trend and let the mainstream come to them. (Unfortunately, Jewel also lost her way with the last album.)

You "real" U2 fans want to enjoy your album in peace? Aren't you the same people who ridicule Enimem fans as they get in line to purchase his newest album? The same people who call Radiohead fans "obnoxious" and "pretentious"? The same people who would piss on little kids' parade for purchasing NSync discs? It's time for a little taste of your own medicine.

I bet if we search the archives, we can find quite a bit of past posts of admiration of how U2 "fucks up the mainstream" and how they always come up with something really fresh and exciting. Well, this album ain't fucking up anything, nor is it at all fresh ideas and excitement. You people think that you have a strong defense against this line of attack, but you're only kidding yourself so that YOU can feel better about what U2 is doing.

I know I said I was leaving this dump, but now I realize how tormented you get when a fan like me demands good music and respectable behavior from a band that used to deserve every ounce of recognition they got. So now I'll stick around and have a little fun here.

By the way, I didn't buy the album after hearing the stream. Also, U2 got better and better with every album until ATYCLB. I never said U2 sold out before, for the record.

GibsonExplorer said:
U2 was a respectable band to me right until this new album. I never had a problem with U2 being accepted by the mainstream. Achtung Baby was their best album and was eaten up by the masses. I don't mind that at all. In fact, I visited the Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills forum every week after ATYCLB was released, because even though it wasn't the greatest album, I still respected U2 for their largely successful attempt to continue in new directions.

However, I heard the Edge switch guitars probably only once in the whole album. Several songs could have been included as B-sides to Joshua Tree singles. SYCMIOYO is just SIAMYCGOO part 2. Bono and crew decided to try using the same backing vocal technique on at least 3 songs (ABOY, CFYT, and Yahweh)---this is a big deal when you're used to hearing 10-12 stylistically different vocal performances in the previous U2 masterpieces.

I think the album has good pleasant-sounding songs. But if I wanted to BUY an album with just pleasant songs, I'd buy a Clay Aiken record, and my CD collection would be ten times as large as it is now. My favorite artists are U2 (in the past), Radiohead, Outkast, Coldplay, Jewel, Norah Jones. Those are safe picks nowadays, but they knew how to stay ahead of the trend and let the mainstream come to them. (Unfortunately, Jewel also lost her way with the last album.)

You "real" U2 fans want to enjoy your album in peace? Aren't you the same people who ridicule Enimem fans as they get in line to purchase his newest album? The same people who call Radiohead fans "obnoxious" and "pretentious"? The same people who would piss on little kids' parade for purchasing NSync discs? It's time for a little taste of your own medicine.

I bet if we search the archives, we can find quite a bit of past posts of admiration of how U2 "fucks up the mainstream" and how they always come up with something really fresh and exciting. Well, this album ain't fucking up anything, nor is it at all fresh ideas and excitement. You people think that you have a strong defense against this line of attack, but you're only kidding yourself so that YOU can feel better about what U2 is doing.

I know I said I was leaving this dump, but now I realize how tormented you get when a fan like me demands good music and respectable behavior from a band that used to deserve every ounce of recognition they got. So now I'll stick around and have a little fun here.

Haha, Jewel.. Norah Jones.. Okay, I sure am going to take anything else you ever say seriously.

david said:

Haha, Jewel.. Norah Jones.. Okay, I sure am going to take anything else you ever say seriously.

See what I mean? I figured I could get such a thoughtful response by including these two artists in my favorites list.

GibsonExplorer said:

There is truth here.

Zoomerang96 said:
i really like the new album, but u2 has indeed become more of a business since 2000 and it's really depressing.

quick: what's the first thing you think of when i say 'vertigo'?

exactly.

Not the ipod commercial, that's for sure. It might help if you watched a little less television. Or used the mute button when the commercials came on.
And really, don't you have the same problem with the official videos any band releases? I certainly can't listen to Still Haven't Found without picturing old Vegas in my head.
Nothing has changed since 2000. Hell, U2's business plan with Pop was to cash in on the electronica revolution in the U.S.. The only problem was that the revolution never happened and U2 got left holding the bag. I remember reading a quote from a Universal executive along the lines of, "We expect the U2 album to sell at least 20 million world wide."
I also remember a quote from Paul McGuinness along the same lines. U2 weren't trying to make an "alternative" or "difficult" album with Pop. They were trying to make a mainstream album. They wanted hit singles and millions upon millions in sales. They also wanted to rake in the dough with PopMart. I remember the howls of protest when they signed up with Michael Cole to sponsor the tour. He basically handed them a check for $50 million before the tour started. In return the ticket prices went up. Hell, U2 announced the launch of the tour from KMart. It might have been an ironic statement but it gave KMart a boost and how are casual fans supposed to tell the difference??

Now U2 sign up with a digital downloading product to help advertise legal digital downloads of U2's music and we call it selling out?? Weird.

The one area where U2 are in the wrong is in their ticket pricing. I don't think they've sold out. Rather they've lost touch with the average person. I don't think they comprehend how much $200 is to the average person. I'm sure that's what the tickets will cost on this tour.

Last edited:
GibsonExplorer said:

A taste of our own medicine? All I hear is bitching and whining from someone that has only heard the stream and hasn't even bought the album. Also, all you stated is your opinion on why you think the album isn't good. Well, there's a huge difference between what you think and what actually is. Your opinion is your opinion, and unfortuantely the internet allows people to share their opinion in the form of bitching and whining.

Last edited:
GibsonExplorer said:

Nope, but I like these great assumptions on your part. I was actually getting pretty pissed off at first, but now I think this is kind of funny. No matter what U2 does there are always going to be haters, people that try to drag down the good things in life, the postive things. But I think we all can decide for oursleves if we like the music or not. We get the point that you think they sold out- great- whoopdi doo da, now we know your opinion, have fun with your life without U2.

GibsonExplorer said:
U2 was a respectable band to me right until this new album. I never had a problem with U2 being accepted by the mainstream.

Let's start here. U2 was a respectable band to you until this new album. This is your own opinion. A lot of people, myself included, still like U2 and respect them. If you don't, that's totally cool, but that doesn't mean it's ok to rag on us just because we happen to think differently.

I consider myself a 'real' U2 fan, and I don't ridicule fans of other music genres/artists. I love Radiohead, and N SYNC made some pretty catchy music. Even if I ever did have a problem with an artist, I certainly wouldn't go onto a fan forum and start making fun of/ragging on the fans there. Fan forums are just what they say they are - forums for fans. Who goes onto a fan forum to start spewing hate and venom? It makes no sense. Well, it actually makes perfect sense - you like getting a rise out of some of the posters here, and make perfectly nice, genuinely good people upset by saying bad things about their favorite band. What does any of this accomplish? Do you get a good bit of joy out of other people's misery?

I'm sure you will find some past posts like that. There was a time when U2 was saying it was 'fucking up the mainstream.' In reality, they never really were. U2's 90s music was influenced by European dance music and industrial techno. Bono is a showman, and he always has been, so he'll say things like that. Achtung, Baby! didn't set any new trends or revolutionize the way music was made or performed. If anything, Joshua Tree did, but after that U2 just making good, solid music. In my opinion, U2's new album may not have any ground-breaking ideas, but truly ground-breaking material comes around about once every 20 years. Radiohead's a great band with an experimental edge, but I wouldn't call them groundbreaking. Coldplay is influenced by U2, yet they still make good, quality music. I guess I just don't get why you're slagging on U2 when some of your other favorite bands aren't exactly 'revolutionary' either. And there's no problem with that - a band doesn't have to change the face of the world to make fantastic tunes. I love Coldplay, I love Radiohead, and I love U2. In my opinion, they're all making great music. If you disagree with me, that's fine...but please don't insult me or my intelligence.

Why spend your time doing this? Just relax and have some fun. Start threads about U2 albums that you DO like and talk to other fans about them. I promise you'll have a genuinely good time. If you don't like U2's new album, like I said - totally cool, totally ok. Not every U2 fan has to like every album they put out. But there are things about U2 you do like - use this forum to talk about them, and share your experiences with the music. It's a more constructive use of your time, and it's a much kinder thing to do than making fun of the fans who like U2's new stuff. A person's personal taste is not a good reason to 'torment' them. I'm not going to torment you if I disagree with one of your viewpoints. Respect and tolerance are values that should be practiced here, not hatred and anger. This applies to everyone here - let's stop the hate and get back to what we all have in common - our love of U2, and the things we appreciate about them.

-Miggy D

Last edited:
GibsonExplorer said:
I think bitching and whining is better than mind-numbing adoration and ass-kissing.

Yeah, people at a U2 forum posting about a recently released U2 album they like.. That's odd.

I guess maybe you were hoping that people would rally around you in support of your claims that this is the worst U2 album ever and they became the worlds worst band ever because the new album that you heard via stream sucks or something.

I have no problems with free shows or high ticket prices. I watched them on SNL and found it enjoyable. Live shows are usually when U2 is most honest. Remember: I never said HTDAAB was crap. Just recycled and unoriginal.

GibsonExplorer said:
I have no problems with free shows or high ticket prices. I watched them on SNL and found it enjoyable. Live shows are usually when U2 is most honest. Remember: I never said HTDAAB was crap. Just recycled and unoriginal.

Can you give me an example on every song from HTDAAB where it was recycled and unoriginal please?

The stream I heard was high-quality, David. A friend has a server, and I listened to his copy over a stream. With a direct cable connection, streams are as good as the real thing. I hope that clarifies things for you. (I happen to be a systems administrator, so these little details are trivial and not worth explaining at first.)

I find "mind-numbingly" adoring more than a little insulting.

Don't presume that I'm practicing mind-numbing adoration because I happen to really genuinely like the SONGS (what this is all about after all) on the new album. U2 have been my favorite band for most of my thirty years. Why on earth would the fact that they're in a commercial for the iPod change that?

As for the initial poster and all subsequent bashers of Bomb and our boys: I've run into this kind of "fan" in MANY other communities. It seems that a lot of people put their favorite band up on a kind of pedestal because of what THAT BAND REPRESENTS TO THEM AS A FAN, and when THAT deviates, then suddenly the band is crap, the band has sold out, the band has "let them down." Just because they didn't live up to what you wanted them to be for whatever reason doesn't mean they're crap - it means that perspectives have simply changed.

And I'll say it again: a TV commercial for a MUSIC-RELATED product that has become a major phenomenon in terms of the way music is made, marketed, and purchased hardly seems like something to freak out over. In fact, it seems right up U2's alley.

One other thing: it's the natural evolution of a band that is going to stay relevant to court young fans, and to hope for the support of new fans. I'm constantly amazed by the number of "older" fans, however old one happens to be, who are seemingly offended by the idea of new, young fans of "their" band. The curse of bands like the Stones is that they rely almost entirely on older fans and while a lot of older fans bring young people who then become fans to shows, it's focus is still on the older fans. U2 don't seem to be operating that way, and it's refreshing to me. I don't mind if they embarrass themselves a little for the sake of having a good time. I'm a teacher, and believe me, I'd rather see my sixteen year-olds rocking to "Vertigo" than 50 Cent or something that they're only listening to because it happens to be on the radio.

macphisto23 said:
Can you give me an example on every song from HTDAAB where it was recycled and unoriginal please?

People have said the solo to ABOY is actually the solo to Last Night on Earth live.... I can't remember the Last Night solo but people have indicated that it is.

Crumbs From Your Table recycles a part of the Walk On solo as a main solo.

Yahweh and One Tree Hill sounds eerily similar.

The old school Edge sound of echo and chimes are littered throughout the album. Note- I like that sound so its not a big deal to me.

The main riff of Sometimes You Can't Make It is similar to a riff found in the ending solo of All I want Is You or Until the End of the World (I think)...

This is some recycling IMO.

IMO

Last edited:
frozenmuze04 said:
I find "mind-numbingly" adoring more than a little insulting.

One insult deserves another. I was called a bitcher and whiner. (I'm sure someone will be tempted to insult me over using a nonexistent word such as bitcher.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom