MERGED ----> U2 compensated for ABC/ESPN commercials

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those are really great commercials! :yes: Listening to the COBL one had me thinking that I guess no other band in the world can really do justice to the international power of the World Cup & soccer. It had to be U2.

What really, REALLY amazed me, though, was that STREETS WAS USED in the second commercial!! :shocked: That's the "God walks through the room song," the one that will never, ever be used commercially because it's U2's song----at least according to Bono in an interview about "selling out" last year! I can't believe that Streets was used in a friggin' commercial!! :huh:

Thanks for that link 4U2Play. I hadn't seen them, as I don't watch ESPN much (my kids do though, and they've seen the Bono one), so it was great to finally get to view them myself.

I still haven't seen the whole thing! And I watched a whole baseball game on ESPN today.

Yes, I hope Mexico will do well, too.

My money is on Holland, though.

So many great players over the years and nothing but disappointment at the World Cup.

I'm hoping they can finally do it all this time, a victory over Argentina in the Group C match would be amazing.

(Next time I'm rooting for Scotland, so Adam can get rid of that snarky ad of his :wink: )

Last edited:
Im from mexico city , and i think mexico will play well, maybe a quarterfinalist but i dont expect more than that :) go mexico... and ireland why not :)

Utoo said:
What really, REALLY amazed me, though, was that STREETS WAS USED in the second commercial!! :shocked: That's the "God walks through the room song," the one that will never, ever be used commercially because it's U2's song----at least according to Bono in an interview about "selling out" last year! I can't believe that Streets was used in a friggin' commercial!! :huh:

That's a really good point, Utoo! I had totally forgotten about that. :huh:

:up: good commercials and good voiceovers.

Utoo: true, but considering this is not some product and given the Africa connection, I don't mind. :up: For the Ivory coast truce.
Did you notice the one.org ad at the end of that ad?

And yes, where was the soccer fan Larry when they were doing this?!?

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Utoo: true, but considering this is not some product and given the Africa connection, I don't mind.

Yeah, I've sort of eased into it and actually wrote a similar thing later in a different thread :) :

I, too, was surprised that Streets was used--especially after reading the interview with Bono last year (I'll try and find it and post it...). I think the key point is this one:

Originally posted by DPrinceNY
True, the message behind these commercials is much more sincere then a stupid car commercial

Having Streets play behind a car commercial 1). would kind demean the power of Streets, and 2). would affix Streets to a product. Think of Vertigo & the iPod. We don't necessarily think of the iPod when we hear Vertigo because we're crazy U2 fans, but I would bet a good chunk of the general public does.

The World Cup isn't really a "product." I'd argue that its use for an event is a bit different----you're less likely to think of the World Cup every time you hear Streets, and you're not very likely to think of Streets when the World Cup comes around again in 4 years. I'd also say that with the way the WC is seen and felt around the world, no band's music other than U2 could even reach the same level.

Just my sort of justification of it all. It also made me feel better that they didn't take any money.

i love sick days, for several reasons 1. its edge and its nice to hear someone other than bono once in a while, 2. Beautiful day is my absolute hands down faveorite song ever.
it seems really unfair that bono gets to do 2 and larry does none

the tartan army one is good aswell, even though adam moved to ireland at a young age you can still tell hes from Oxford, that posh birtish accent never leaves you

I saw all four of the commercials on TV yesterday! Saw three of them on ABC - a shortened Anthem with Bono and the ones Adam and Edge did. Then I had VH1 on and the Bono Ivory Coast one came on. Was nice to see. :)

Larry is doing/did do one featuring the US team, should be ready shortly I think.

Utoo said:

Yeah, I've sort of eased into it and actually wrote a similar thing later in a different thread :) :

Having Streets play behind a car commercial 1). would kind demean the power of Streets, and 2). would affix Streets to a product. Think of Vertigo & the iPod. We don't necessarily think of the iPod when we hear Vertigo because we're crazy U2 fans, but I would bet a good chunk of the general public does.

The World Cup isn't really a "product." I'd argue that its use for an event is a bit different----you're less likely to think of the World Cup every time you hear Streets, and you're not very likely to think of Streets when the World Cup comes around again in 4 years. I'd also say that with the way the WC is seen and felt around the world, no band's music other than U2 could even reach the same level.

Just my sort of justification of it all. It also made me feel better that they didn't take any money.
[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. I must say I am definately on the most sensitive end regarding U2 using their music for commercial purposes. I thought the iPod thing was pushing it to the limit and I was quite bothered by it, especially because I do think that Vertigo is associated with a product and that's a shame (although I wouldn't say they had sold-out).

But this is totally different IMO, and completely appropriate. They are not selling a product, they are contributing to the promotion of an event that will indeed unite most of the world, but strangely not the US. And U2 has always been used for sporting events, especially Streets, it's the perfect song for that. Of course they are also promoting ESPN at the same time, but it's not like they have never dealt with private companies before!

IF they ever literally sell one of their songs to promote a product like a car (and not themselves or a sport) and get millions out of it, I will be extremely dissapointed. But I don't think they ever will, they have gone through this before.

Haven't seen the commercials, but they sound great!

There's a fifth commercial up now called USA with the USA team - Elevation is the music - but some other person doing the voice over, NOT Larry (unless he's developed an American accent...). And I thought Pride was to be the music.... :shrug:

U2 compensated for ABC/ESPN commercials

Ok, I'm sorry to be a bugger but I thought Bono said U2 didn't sell-out with the I-Pod because they weren't compensated for the commercial. Additionally, he informed reporters that U2 was offered $25 million for the rights to use Streets to sell an automobile. They didn't want fans to think of a car during a live performance of Streets since it's such an important spiritually uplifting part of their set.
Now, they've been compensated for the use of their songs and they've sold Streets. Do they want us to be thinking about the World Cup when they play the song? I know they say they believe in selling soccer (or football) but then why couldn't they just let ESPN use the songs for free?
Look, I'm not one to call all successful artists sell-outs. Signing to a major label, for instance, is hardly selling-out. Had the band just let ESPN use their songs I wouldn't care. I'm struggling with this though.
Please, people do not harp on me for being a quick-to-criticize fan. I didn't care about the I-Pod/Apple deal. I'm just struggling.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Well I imagine they were compensated for there actual voice-over appearances rather than the actual songs. They themselves actually took part in ESPN World Cup adverts rather than just their songs, hence why I believe they received compensation...otherwise I don't really care, it doesn't phase me much.

Back
Top Bottom