MERGED-->U2 and the Killers song similiarity...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shade said:
I fucking hate The Killers and their vapid, boring, awkward Brit-Pop-wannabe hackwork, and question the musical taste of anybody who likes them. Including Bono's. Although, his personal musical taste has been in question for years (it's why we're getting Kings of Leon as an opening act). I highly recommend that fans of The Killers throw that shit away and buy the last four Pulp albums, and download some of their videos online. Then you'll see The Killers for what they are - a bunch of kids from Las Vegas, pretending.

Are they pretending and borrowing? Yes. And every band does when they start out- especially on the first album where the label is mostly concerned with playability.

They are certainly not hacks. The songs on the album are all very different, unlike %99 of stuff put out today where everything sounds the same. They are trying to do lots different stuff while still vying for "poppy" playability. I want to see them live to see what they do when they aren't restricted by a labe (though Island is a great label).

Trashing a band solely because they're derivative is silly. The whole rock and roll thing owes its existence to a bunch of white guys getting together and going, "You know, those black people have some pretty neat music..."

Killers - song that sounds liek U2

U2 are being supported by the Killers i nthe UK yea (anyone remind me what stadiums?)

Anyone heard 'smile like you mean it' i swear it has backing music like an old U2 songs - any ideas?

some of their other background music reminds me of U2 as well, should be good.

they do remind me of u2, although i can never quite pin down what it is.

killers need to work on their lyrics imo, they have great catchy songs but they just need some decent lyrics to make them a bit deeper. thats what i think anyway;)

i am sure that tune has something just liek U2 on it - it may be from ZOOROPA coz it sounds a bit Lemony! but morel ike another song, lol

Killers are better than any other band that will open for U2 this tour.

(Kings of Leon, Snow Patrol...and?)

Their image bugs me sometimes. It's a bit pretentious, and too brit pop. They seem to be trying hard to be cool and hip. I prefer authenticity and sheer musicianship to fashion and fake accents. In the age of pop princesses and "live" performances featuring purely recorded tracks, this is forgivable.

AND they are unique in the following ways:

1) They are from Vegas. What other band has come FROM there? Lots of acts go there later etc.

2) They have MANY single-quality tracks on their album, which cannot be said for many bands today. In fact, even HTDAAB has only 3-4 (IMO).

They have made a great debut album. Let's hope they don't settle for medicority and flame out, as lots of other bands have. (Third Eye Blind, anyone?)

Last edited:
Yes! I noticed that, I just bought their cd. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and Bono has said for how many years how U2 stole from everybody. Killers couldn't have picked better mentors.

killers ripped off 'WAR'!!!

i knew those tunes sounded way too familiar! now i know why! killers sound exactly like WAR!

yes they do :wink:

but i still love the songs

Yeah, like:

Somebody told me
You had a boyfriend
Who looks like a girlfriend
That I had in February of last year

Or:

You've got a real short skirt
I wanna look up
Look up
Look up

Or:

Woah, woah...
She's the refugee.
I see your face
I see you staring back at me

Whoops, sorry, wrong album.

Last edited:
The Killers have a long way to go, they are fucking terrible live. And the first half of Hot Fuss is great, then its pretty rank.

typhoon said:
Yeah, like:

Somebody told me
You had a boyfriend

Or:

You've got a real short skirt
I wanna look up
Look up
Look up

Or:

Woah, woah...
She's the refugee.
I see your face
I see you staring back at me

Whoops, sorry, wrong album.

LOL! I don't think much of the lyircs from the Killers but then I haven't really taken the time to listen to them carefully. I think they do great stuff musically.

typhoon said:
Yeah, like:

Somebody told me
You had a boyfriend

OK, I would agree that their lyrics are not great.

But, this line from "Somebody Told Me" isn't the worst example, I don't think.

I personally took this to be (since they are from Vegas) talk about a drag queen, which would make the lyric not stupid, but funny.

Plus, the next line is:

'It's not confidential...'

which implies that the previous could be deemed a secret, but shouldn't

Anyway—I do tend to read into songs too much.

I love the Killers right now!

Their lyrics arnt poetic genius but their music is great. I think their songs are fun.

Im seeing them live Saturday night at Brixton and am expecting it to be a good show!

And I love the song Midnight Show!!! :)

listen to the guitar solo in 'smile like you mean it'
totally fucking hot, totally the edge. somehow puts me in a similar place to the solo in 'until the end of the world'.
i'm glad we have the killers.:drool:

If the Killers fail to go anywhere, I really hope that the guitarist gets in another band; I really like him.

"When You Were Young" Guitar Solo sounds like "Miracle Drug" Solo And On "Bling" near the end when they sing "...down to the wire, We're gonna make it, oh, oh, oh,...." sounds like miracle drug bridge larry vocal part. Or at least to me it does.

PRoMenADeZoO said:
"When You Were Young" Guitar Solo sounds like "Miracle Drug" Solo And On "Bling" near the end when they sing "...down to the wire, We're gonna make it, oh, oh, oh,...." sounds like miracle drug bridge larry vocal part. Or at least to me it does.

I agree. The solo from Read My Mind is very U2-ey too, I just can't think of a specific song it reminds me of. :scratch:

PRoMenADeZoO said:
"When You Were Young" Guitar Solo sounds like "Miracle Drug" Solo
Good call! Where The White Boys dance reminds me of U2 also, something about it not sure what.

flaming june said:

I agree. The solo from Read My Mind is very U2-ey too, I just can't think of a specific song it reminds me of. :scratch:

Where The Streets Have No Name...

Back
Top Bottom