MERGED ----> U2 and Rick Rubin: what would it be like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
U2 and Rick Rubin: what would it be like?

From atu2.com's last Off the record column:

"We know that U2 is in the recording studio working on new songs, but when it gets serious enough to bring in a producer, who might they call? Well, Zsuzsi O. from the Hungarian fan site U2.hu let us know about an April interview they conducted with author Michka Assayas. In the interview, Assayas tells about Bono's interest in working with Rick Rubin, who's recently produced for Johnny Cash, the Dixie Chicks, and Red Hot Chili Peppers. Assayas told U2.hu, "Bono is a great admirer of Rick Rubin," and says he encouraged Bono to work with Rubin: "I think it would be fantastic but I do not know if it's going to happen. Because we discussed it with Bono and I said to him you should do that! They are thinking about it."

Making things more interesting was an article last week in USA Today profiling Rubin, which includes this nugget: "He'd love to produce a U2 disc."

What kind of a producer is Rick Rubin? Is he like Eno/Lanois, a "5th member" in the studio, more like Lillywhite who polishes things up in the end or does he listen to the music in the studio and picks the best mixes/songs?

We were sort of talking about this in the news section last week. Based on his previous work, I don't think anyone can really predict what type of sound Rubin would get from the guys. The UsaToday article was pretty good at describing him and his process, I think.

I really like this quote from him:
"to inspire and challenge artists to do their best work, and to do it for the sake of the work as opposed to the ends. So much is about the process and pleasing ourselves, not thinking, 'Can it get on the radio, will it be done in time?' I try to erase all the restrictions that I've seen impede great art over and over. If the album is great, everything else will follow."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2006-07-06-rubin-main_x.htm

Rick's a producer that encourages the artist to do what they're best at while at the same time push them to territory that may not be the most comfortable.

He encouraged Cash to go up and play some shows where it was just him and his acoustic, no backing band or anything before recording sessions started. This is something Cash hadn't done in decades.

He encouraged Diamond to actually play guitar on this album.

He also found a poem Keides had written and encouraged him to bring it to the band, he reluctantly did and they wrote 'Under the Bridge' something that was pretty far out for them at the time.

I would be all for it. U2 needs to turn the wheel big time, but the media would put alot of hype in a Rubin/U2 record.

Wow. I'd love to hear the crystal clear guitar sounds that often make it to a Rubin produced disc. U2's production is sometimes a bit too muddy methinks.

U2Man said:
Wow. I'd love to hear the crystal clear guitar sounds that often make it to a Rubin produced disc. U2's production is sometimes a bit too muddy methinks.

it is, and sometimes that worked to create a sort of atmosphere, but lately it's just made the sound distorted if you turn it up too loud...did Rubin do Stadium Arcadium? that has pretty damn good production, so good you hardly even notice it's there! very clean.

AtomicBono said:

it is, and sometimes that worked to create a sort of atmosphere, but lately it's just made the sound distorted if you turn it up too loud...did Rubin do Stadium Arcadium? that has pretty damn good production, so good you hardly even notice it's there! very clean.

yes I belive Rubin produced Stadium ...

AtomicBono said:

it is, and sometimes that worked to create a sort of atmosphere, but lately it's just made the sound distorted if you turn it up too loud

Given the popularity of iPods, I think we'll see less distortion on the next U2 album regardless of producer. The mastering engineers will have less reason to crank up the loudness.

ntalwar said:

Given the popularity of iPods, I think we'll see less distortion on the next U2 album regardless of producer. The mastering engineers will have less reason to crank up the loudness.

just another reason to love iPods :drool:

Rubin's kind of been hit-or-miss over the years. Part of me marvels at some of the stuff he did with Johnny Cash and the Chili Peppers, but then part of me cringes at projects of his like the last Weezer album. :huh:

A U2-Rubin collaboration could have potential, though. If any new producer were to be brought in, I wouldn't object to it being him.

I'd really prefer Eno, though. :wink:

Last edited:
for some reason - not even clear to myself - I think it would be disasterous

I think the Rubin sound is way too stripped down for U2

One of the reasons people are excited by a U2/Rubin collaberation is that, in that same interview, MA said that the type of sound you would get would shock you in the same way Achtung Baby shocked U2 fans years ago.

IMO, you wouldnt get another AB, you would get a completely different sound nobody would have seen coming and it will make some people on this board who are pro-u2 experimenting go:| and others :drool:

Salome said:
for some reason - not even clear to myself - I think it would be disasterous

I think the Rubin sound is way too stripped down for U2

No it's not.

He produced the last few RHCP records, and they're lush with different instruments and effects, and overdubs. They poured it on.

I don't know about this...I feel that Rubin producing this would look like too much of a desperate commercial move for U2. Of course, I wouldn't have said that about getting Lanois/Eno for ATYCLB, and it resulted in their most desperately commercial album.

Rubin seems to be good not at getting artists to rock out, but to find their most essential selves. For Cash it was stripping down. For the Peppers it was something else entirely, on different albums. But with U2 I don't think they need to distill anything because they've already done that to an extent. I feel that the band needs to move away from obvious radio play material, and also away from the whole sounding-like-Boy thing. Okay, it was a nice conceit to go back to the basics in spirit, but it's time to think outward again, not inward.

And my choice still remains Nigel Godrich, although I imagine he will have his hands full with Radiohead for at least the next six months.

Second to that...Eno. ALONE.

I hate Eno's production on U2 albums. Achtung Baby and UF had horrid production, and I think he made himself too big a part of their overall sound. No more Eno, ESPECIALLY alone.

I would love a Rick Rubin-produced U2 album.

A Nigel Godrich-produced U2 album would just be...:huh:

LemonMelon said:
I hate Eno's production on U2 albums. Achtung Baby and UF had horrid production, and I think he made himself too big a part of their overall sound. No more Eno, ESPECIALLY alone.

Funny how you failed to mention Zooropa, which I feel is U2's BEST produced album, and the one which Eno probably had his hands on the most.

I don't know where you get that Achtung Baby had horrid production. If it sound muddy and dirty it was supposed to. Eno wrote a great article for Rolling Stone when the album came out for the cover story ("Bringing Up Baby"), and maybe you think it still sounds like crap but it's clear he went in with an agenda and I think he pulled out a career-defining work of art.

Eno producing ALL by himself gave us Passengers, which I think is another phenomenally produced record. I'd like to hear why you think he's so bad, and what you're blaming on him and not Lanois.

lazarus said:

Funny how you failed to mention Zooropa, which I feel is U2's BEST produced album, and the one which Eno probably had his hands on the most.

I don't know where you get that Achtung Baby had horrid production. If it sound muddy and dirty it was supposed to. Eno wrote a great article for Rolling Stone when the album came out for the cover story ("Bringing Up Baby"), and maybe you think it still sounds like crap but it's clear he went in with an agenda and I think he pulled out a career-defining work of art.

Eno producing ALL by himself gave us Passengers, which I think is another phenomenally produced record. I'd like to hear why you think he's so bad, and what you're blaming on him and not Lanois.

Why not Lanois? Because he too has been a part of albums that had very sharp production, such as ATYCLB, an album that I believe Eno had very little to do with.

I love Zooropa so much, and strangely, I find the production to be very good. However, I thought that it wasn't just Eno that prodcuced it, but Edge and Flood as well; an interesting trio, and I wish they would do more together. :wink:

Simply put, I don't like dirt. I like to be able to hear the music that's playing on my stereo with minimal interference.

Daniel Lanois was the primary producer of Achtung Baby, Brian Eno came in later on and worked on a few songs.

Atleast that's what I gathered from U2 at the End of the World

they should bring on someone new (as for U2). i would like to see RiRu as producer. another nice scenario woud be a RiRu+Flood combination.

I'd like to see Rubin come in for these current recording sessions, and for them to release something in November.
But overall i want Eno back, he is partly responsible for my two favourite albums of all time, Achtung Baby and Low. His musical knowledge and skills are second to none. The man is an absolute genius and in my opinion is the greatest producer there is.

I could listen to Eno talking about mucic for months, listen to him talking on the unforgettable fire documentary or on the Classic Albums Joshua Tree DVD. His love of music is so infectious, the joy he has whils making music comes through in the music. The same goes for Lanois. I think they are both integral to U2 and I want to see them working with U2 closely in the future.

I am no expert... but don't we need to distinguish between production and engineering. Production is helping the band with music and lyrical arrangements. Engineering is the mixing, eq'ing etc... that takes place after the band and the producer has laid down the songs and all these complaints about iPods highlighting levels being too high (leading to distortion), clipping, Achtung Baby mudiness (all of which I agree with) should be directed towards the engineer shouldn't they?

lazarus said:
And my choice still remains Nigel Godrich, although I imagine he will have his hands full with Radiohead for at least the next six months.

Second to that...Eno. ALONE.

Sounds like a good plan, but is Godrich definitely working with Radiohead. He did Eraser with Thom Yorke, but I thought they were talking about trying out somebody new?

Eno alone I think would be a fantastic move too.

PookaMacP said:

Sounds like a good plan, but is Godrich definitely working with Radiohead. He did Eraser with Thom Yorke, but I thought they were talking about trying out somebody new?

Eno alone I think would be a fantastic move too.
They tried "somebody new" with HTDATB but then reverted back to their comfort zone in the end. I reckon the days of this band doing something drastically new are over. As much as I love them I have to admit this. The same thing exists with setlists; they'll never vary their setlists now after having fixed setlists for so long.

Provided it doesn't turn into a "Thomas shock" part II, I wouldn't mind someone new. (Jacknife didn't really bring that much to the album, I think - and keep Flood to mixing, not producing)

I don't see how Eno or Lanois or Lillywhite can bring the band in new territorry anymore.

whoever produced

Love and Peace
Fast Cars
Vertigo
and Mercy.

I know some think Mercy is the greatest thing since sliced bread and others think it's wildly overrated (it is, but a good song nonetheless).

whoever produced these songs should stay, they were the songs that made me go "wow, I haven't heard U2 do this before", especially the first 2 songs I listed.

Back
Top Bottom