MERGED-->U2 and ipod + *custom U2 iPods*+u2 ipod version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
-- Apple today introduced the iPod U2 Special Edition, part of a partnership between Apple, U2 and Universal Music Group to create innovative new products together for the new digital music era.

When: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 at 3:30 p.m. EDT / 12:30 p.m. PDT

Material will repeat.

Highlights will be available via satellite at the following coordinates:

Ku-band Analog
-- Galaxy 10-R Transponder 23
-- Orbital Slot: 123 degrees West
-- Downlink Frequency: 12160 MHz
-- Polarity: Vertical
-- Audio Subcarriers: 6.2 and 6.8

C-band Analog
-- Galaxy 3C Transponder 24
-- Orbital Slot: 95 degrees West
-- Downlink Frequency: 4180 MHz
-- Polarity: Vertical
-- Audio Subcarriers: 6.2 and 6.8

a webcast is still pending... will post "if" and when it's posted...

aee

As my Christmas present, my boyfriend is taking me to Dublin for New Year's Eve (we live in Los Angeles), so I doubt he'll be getting me the iPod for Christmas. However, maybe I could get it for him.... :)

I hate to say this, but the U2 special edition isn't a good deal at all. For $50 more, you get twice the storage capacity, plus a dock for easier mating to a stereo. And it doesn't even have any music preloaded on it (and you can bet the complete U2 digital box set is going to be expensive). Essentially you're paying the extra $50 over the regular 20GB iPod just for the color and a poster.

Ok, either I'm too busy or too lazy to have caught this, but I'm wondering ... NOTHING is preloaded onto the U2 iPod? Not the whole catalog, greatest hits, etc? Now THAT would be a deal -an iPod preloaded with the whole catalog.

Can someone post in a nutshell what is included? Or is it just $50 OFF whatever you choose out of the U2 iTunes catalog to load it up?

PS: Starsgoblue .. Yeah, my boyfriend is a keeper and he even looks a bit like Bono :) No brother though :( Trust me, there are still some wonderful guys out there. Not many, but they DO exist! Keep the faith :)

brachanam9 said:
Ok, either I'm too busy or too lazy to have caught this, but I'm wondering ... NOTHING is preloaded onto the U2 iPod? Not the whole catalog, greatest hits, etc? Now THAT would be a deal -an iPod preloaded with the whole catalog.

Can someone post in a nutshell what is included? Or is it just $50 OFF whatever you choose out of the U2 iTunes catalog to load it up?

PS: Starsgoblue .. Yeah, my boyfriend is a keeper and he even looks a bit like Bono :) No brother though :( Trust me, there are still some wonderful guys out there. Not many, but they DO exist! Keep the faith :)

Correct. Nothing comes preloaded. You can purchase/download a digital "box set" of 400 tracks separately for $150. If you purchase the U2 iPod you get $50 off toward the purchase of the box set. Total cost for 20GB U2 iPod and box set is then around $450. A lot of money to get a black iPod with tracks you probably already have.

most all of the details are located here:

apple.com/ipod/u2/

$349 isn't too bad... plus this iPod will hold its value pretty well... even in 2 years, I'm sure it will be worth $200+... not something you can say about the other iPod "like" devices.

someone mentioned US only... so you'll have to go via eBay if you live outside... I'm sure they are already up there... probably going for a $50 premium or so...

I kinda wished they would of at least given a $10 - $20 coupon for the iTunes store...

the quality looks first rate... typical apple attention to detail...

apple.com/ipod/u2/gallery/u2angled.html

all in all, the new photo ipod looks pretty cool too... damn... but $499 is kinda steep...

apple.com/ipodphoto/

anyway... still waiting on the web broadcast... hopefully will post soon...

AEE

The Photos of the Event are starting to appear.

macobserver.com/gallery/u2more?page=1

enjoy!

aee

People that like U2 and don't already have an iPod would benefit from getting this....

The deluxe catalouge thingie isn't required and is optional....

I'd pay a bit extra to have a fancy looking iPod with the boys siggies on the back....not buying the cataloug though

The new iPod and U2 Broadcast is now available:

stream.apple.akadns.net/

ENJOY!!!

watching the broadcast explains a lot!

The 400 song "Digital Box Set" is basically $99 for owners of the U2 iPod...

The poster is pretty slick...

The U2 portion starts about 22 minutes into the broadcast, U2 is on stage now, Bono is talking to the audience. They are all speaking about music and the iPod... and are now begining to play...

Good stuff!

ramblin rose said:

Is there a a way to save this file?

yeah, but not easily... it's a stream... not a download... it will be on cd's apple sends out next month to employees and other staff...

if you reallllllly want it... say so and we'll figure something out...

aee

How will they send out 400 songs?

I haven't bought into itunes yet.
I've only downloaded 1 song via a paid service (real).

How will they send you 400 songs?
How long will it take to download?

Is the box set worth $293
when you avg 15 songs per album over 26 albums...??

Things I am pondering while making out a wish list...

Whoa, new song people new song!!!

Has no one jumped on this yet or have I just missed all the threads?

They start playing Original of the Species...very pretty song...but they cut it off!!! :mad: still at least we got to see some of it...

"The Edge would like you to know that he's normally a guitar player." :lol:

AtomicBono said:
Whoa, new song people new song!!!

Has no one jumped on this yet or have I just missed all the threads?

They start playing Original of the Species...very pretty song...but they cut it off!!! :mad: still at least we got to see some of it...

"The Edge would like you to know that he's normally a guitar player." :lol:

You can get the Mp3, in WTAHAN

Okay, there's this thing, it's called Where the Album Has a Name, and they generally post stuff about, y'know, SONGS FROM THE NEW ALBUM and stuff... :der:

sorry, I just got excited :p I realize now that there is a multi-page thread on it...man I feel smart :D

PowerSurge said:
still need to ask, does anyone know if the album will be released to the internet early?

Well, that's interesting, during the presentation Steve Jobs definately said Itunes would have an exclusive on the album, but I interpreted that to mean regarding online sales.

So I don't really think they'll be releasing the album early.

just a few notes on the above comments:

the stream is located at:

http://stream.apple.akadns.net/

you don't have to buy "into" itunes... it's free... yeah, the songs are 99 cents, but hey... it's the best store to deal with large volumes of songs.

http://www.itunes.com

the 400 songs "steve joked"... requires broadband... and so it depends on your connection speed even with that... anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour or more is my guess... You don't have to get them all at once. iTunes is smart enough to keep track. The 25 unreleased songs are only available through iTunes... and of course the 400 Song "Digital Box Set" will never be available at Retail. It would be 30 CD's if so... and is not going to happen.

No early release date... the 23rd of whatever is the date for delivery of the iPods and the Album.

The Digital Box Set is $149... or $99 for U2 iPod owners that use the $50 coupon. There will never be a 400 Song U2, Box Set... it was pretty clear, this is the FIRST "Digital" Box Set.

Watch the Show for further info...

aee

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom