MERGED-->U2 and ipod + *custom U2 iPods*+u2 ipod version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've wanted an iPod for awhile now anyway - even more of an excuse to get one... but will the iPod actually say "U2" on it or something or will it just be black? Kinda pointless to get a black iPod preloaded with songs I already have (I'll buy the special edition of HTDAAB regardless of the iPod). Anyway, I'm gonna need some money. Better start selling stuff...

I read it will be $30 above the average cost of an iPod. So I guess depending on whether you get a 20GB or 40GB you'll pay $30 above that cost.

I don't get why some posters think that this is a lame idea? Putting your music on a hot selling music device is lame? Or are you concerned that they are selling out?

AtomicBono said:
I've wanted an iPod for awhile now anyway - even more of an excuse to get one... but will the iPod actually say "U2" on it or something or will it just be black? Kinda pointless to get a black iPod preloaded with songs I already have (I'll buy the special edition of HTDAAB regardless of the iPod). Anyway, I'm gonna need some money. Better start selling stuff...

True. Save the $30 to help buy the special edition HTDAAB. And if you don't have your heart set on an iPod to begin with...get a 40GB Nomad Zen Xtra for $250...instead of a 20GB iPod for $300 or a 40GB iPod for $400 (neither of which can handle WMA files and add $30 for the "U2 version"). True, the iPod is "cooler" and slightly smaller, but for that extra $80-$180....I'd rather spend it to see U2 in concert...way cooler and the memory will last forever...when ANY mp3 player will be outdated in a few years.

ARRRRRRRRRGHHH :rant: :rant: :rant:

Of all the bands that could have teamed up to make their own special little ipod, it had to be U2.....right after I finally went out and got my own.

*groan*

I waited and waited and finally got an engraved blue mini...its really awesome but now I kind of wish I'd held on for the new one, but oh well.

Mine's still pretty darn awesome though. I got "edgyPod" engraved in the back of it and all.... :love: :edge:

Not to mention I've got the most U2 on all campus, according to the networked itunes. :hyper: HAHAHA! *cough*

my friends= :rolleyes:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
I want an iPod. This would save me a lot of time in downloading music if I bought one preprogrammed with most of the songs.

Or you could convert your CDs to mp3....but that's a lot of work as well. ;)

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I read it will be $30 above the average cost of an iPod. So I guess depending on whether you get a 20GB or 40GB you'll pay $30 above that cost.

I'm sadly guessing it will be more than 30$ over... but all of this is still unconfirmed.

I almost bought one along with my PowerBook this summer, but passed... glad I did !

This sounds really cool, but I already have an IPod that I got just under a year ago. I love it to death, never go anywhere without it. But I'll have to bow out on the spending another $300 for a black version of the same thing with music I already have on it.

I want a list of all the music that will come preloaded on it, though.

Re: *custom U2 iPods*

username said:
http://www.forbes.com/technology/ebusiness/2004/10/18/cx_mm_1018aapl.html

There's the linky to the story.

The basic gist: U2 and Apple are going to release a custom U2 iPod model. It will be black in color and come with the new album and a selection of their past album tracks (greatest hits type thing?).

Only a selection of past work! When I first heard of the U2 iPod, I was hoping it would be the entire album catalog (maybe b-sides too) plus new features to the iPod to make it one of the first of the next generation iPods. That would really entice those who've already got one to get this one (hopefully, they could re-coup some of the cost).

Though, for people who don't have a iPod, it's great for both Apple and U2. Unless now it looks like the band completely sold out. I wonder how this idea will go over with the general public's perception of U2.

I'm excited - I want to see what this press conference is like - I will be buying this ipod for several reasons
1. Black ipod - v.v.v. cool
2. Want to upgrade to 4th generation ipod anyway - click wheel is great - 12 hour battery life
3. U2 pre-loaded

seriously the u2 thing is just the icing on the cake for me - I want a full sized ipod of a different color

yes I am a geek. I'm okay with this.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

haha right, and you know how lazy I am about burning cd's. let's see it is going on 3 yrs for a couple of u2 concerts I promised you. :laugh:

Haha don't worry about it...school has become an all time-consuming task since August so I really wouldn't have time to listen to them anyway.

LOL, u guys are funny!

Anyone know if the ipod will have U2 symbol or anything on it? I would consider buying one if there is!!!

so can anyone tell me if you can replace the battery on an ipod after its lost its life, or are you stuck buying a new one??????

there are lots of you that own them-PLEASE someone answer. I've been wanting to know this for a while and no one ever has an answer.

Last edited:
A couple comments on various posts...

The Battery on any iPod can be replaced when needed. They cost between $20 and $40. A typical battery with normal use will last about 4 years. The hoopla about lower lasting batteries was wrong. It was the firewire connnector, not the battery that was having trouble in a few older models.

The iPod plays WMA files, just not protected WMA's.

The iPod, at anytime can play OGG files, its just up to Apple to release the change. (or updated firmware - in geek talk)

The iPod plays FULL CD quality files if you choose the Lossless format.

A program called Audio HiJack on the Mac will allow you to put ANY audio file on your iPod.

It's EASY to move your CD collection to an iPod. Just use itunes.com to do it.

U2 and Apple have MUCH in common. Apple is more of a "social movement" than a "corporation", so rest assured U2 is not selling out. Both "groups" are on the cusp of the way Music will be distributed over the next 30 years.

All for now, Macdrew

U2 Ipod Version

Is this true the release of the U2 ipod version is released tomorrow and if so does this mean that the album could be on the net before the day is out?

no, no, no

The official announcement is tomorrow. The Ipod will probably be released late november in correspondence with the album.

i really really have to have one of these
*looking around room to see what i can sell*

People seem excited about this iPod idea and i think they are missing a few little details.
Get this out in the open, i have an iPod and love it. So go for it if you want a nice new black edition. But this will not change the fact that you need to go out and get the new album (or any other albums you're missing) on cd.

First of all, as U2 fans you should want to get that album and boost U2 up the charts, but on a more practical note, the songs will be stuck on your iPod. you can't upload them to your iTunes, and it is another hassle and expense if you want to listen in your car. Also the albums will most likely be mp3 quality (at who knows what bit rate) unless apple decides to put lossless files of them on there, but they haven't announced one way or the other.

I say go get the U2 albums on cd, download them to iTunes and iPod and get to have the CD for your car and friends stereo, etc.. and of course the liner notes and booklet and everything. Along with that giving U2 actual album sales that will reflect on the Billboard charts.

Back
Top Bottom