MERGED-->U2 and 2003 Grammys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*Ally*

New Yorker
U2 gets 1 Grammy nomination

... for their performance of "Walk on" from the Tribute to Heroes concert.
what about "hands" and "electrical storm"???

here's the full list of who they're up against:

Field 4 - Rock
Category 16 - Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal
(For duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

? Girls Of Summer
Aerosmith
Track from: O, Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits
[Columbia/Geffen]

? In My Place
Coldplay
Track from: A Rush Of Blood To The Head
[Capitol Records]

? My Sacrifice
Creed
Track from: Weathered
[Wind-up Records]

? Hero
Chad Kroeger Featuring Josey Scott
Track from: Spider-Man - Music From And Inspired By (Various Artists)
[Columbia/Roadrunner/Island Def Jam/Sony Music Soundtrax]

? When I'm Gone
3 Doors Down
Track from: Away From The Sun
[Republic/Universal Records]

? Take Me As I Am
Tonic
Track from: Head On Straight
[Universal Records]

? Walk On
U2
Track from: America - A Tribute To Heroes (Various Artists)
[Universal/Sony/BMG/EMI/Warner Bros. Records]

I don't think Hands or Electrical Storm deserved nominations, while the Tributes Walk On is awesome! And where are the Chili Peppers on that list? :mad: Having said that, the only interesting thing about the Grammys is the rare occasion when someone like U2 performs.

Hello,

The eligibility year for the 45th Grammy's is October 1, 2001 through September 30, 2002. As both Electrical Storm as The Hands That Build America were released after this date, they are not eligible.
While I think it's nice that U2 are nominated, I do wonder why. I mean, Walk On also won last year. Granted, that was the ATYCLB version and not this one from the Tribute To Heroes concert. But why? I just don't understand it.

BTW, it's the only Grammy nomination for U2 this year. They did not get any for the Elevation 2001 DVD (Best Longform Music Video). Oh well.
And Solomon Burke is not nominated for Album Of The Year. WFT?! :mad: That's an insult! And why is one of the greatest soul voices nominated for Best Contemporary Blues Album?

I don't understand those Grammy's. But often they're good for record sales, so hopefully U2 profit a bit from it (although I doubt it).

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:

BTW, it's the only Grammy nomination for U2 this year. They did not get any for the Elevation 2001 DVD (Best Longform Music Video).

:down: :down: :rolleyes: whatever.

I'm very surprised at the Tribute nomination. The "performance" was amazing, don't get me wrong, one of the most emotional ones I've ever seen, but probably because of what I was feeling more than anything.

Can someone direct me to the nomination list? I'm hoping to see some serious Bruce nominations! :sexywink:

Last edited:
Popmartijn said:

Hello,

Go to http://www.grammy.com and there you can download the list with nominees (in .pdf and .txt formats). Bruce has got 5 nominations.

C ya!

Marty

Thanks Marty!

I'm shocked at how many nominations Vanessa Carlton received! I have her album (actually brought it in today to listen to) but I'm still surprised. I figured Avril would be there b/c of her sheer popularity, and Norah who I think has the true talent, but Vanessa.. wow. Not too bad.

I'm surprised also that Bruce was left out of "Record of the Year." I know that Nickleback song was played about 500000000 times a day last year though.

Album of the Year should be interesting, it'll be a fight between Eminem & Bruce IMO.

Still think U2 should have gotten Boston Elevation props though! :eyebrow:

thanks for clearing up the whole eligibility thing, marty. :)

i really hope avril doesn't win- i just don't like her psuedo punk rock schtick. apparently, she was helping with the announcements this morning and completely mispronounced david bowie's last name. come on!!

norah jones is great, though. also glad to see bruce with some noms in the big categories. coldplay was recognized as well- woohoo!

So true

*Ally* said:
i really hope avril doesn't win- i just don't like her psuedo punk rock schtick. apparently, she was helping with the announcements this morning and completely mispronounced david bowie's last name. come on!!

I HATE HER WITH A PASSION!!! :mad: :madspit: :rant: :no: :grumpy: :yell: :yuck: :angry: :scream:

Fine...I'm okay now. :sigh:

I think U2 actually has an excellant chance to win this year with its one nomination. U2 has slaughtered the competition in this specific award field, Best Rock Performance By A Group, for two years now. With 14 Grammy wins, U2 has won more Grammy's in history than nearly any other artist in history and more than any of the artist that will be there that night. This should be Grammy win #15 for U2!

I'm surprised U2 was nominated for anything- yay for them! I'm not sure if they'll win, but as long as "My Sacrifice" and "Hero" lose I'll be fine. :)

I'm actually totally caught off guard that U2 got any nominations...

I'm really surprised they got one for that too...its such an awesome performance, it was the one that encouraged me to buy my first U2 cd, ATYCLB. But its okay if Coldplay wins too! They rock! :dance:

That was a surprise! I wasn't expecting U2 to get any nominations at all because I thought they didn't even have anything eligible this year. I kind of forgot about Walk On being on the Tribute to Heroes album. Personally I think it's a much better version of the song than what was on ATYCLB. I really don't think it will win though. I can imagine voters saying, "Huh? Didn't this song win something last year?"

A win for Coldplay would be nice if U2 doesn't get this one. If Creed or that stupid "Hero" song wins, my level of respect for the Grammys will sink even lower than it already is. :mad:

I think Bruce will get Album... he's the only Rock album there and will sweep the rock vote, unlike last year... eh hem... thanks a lot Bob. and it looks like a lock for Em with the Record of the year one... I really think Walk On's only comp is from Hero, but I don't care which song wins from that cateogry as long as it damn sure ain't Creed!!!

JOFO said:
coldplay will win.

That'd be cool........I need to get some appropriate, uh, celebratory substance........but dammit, I don't drink champagne.
*Will go to store to find something to celebrate*:lol: :lol:

Coldplay should be nominated for best album as well as best alternative album.

AROBTTH is one of the best albums ever, cmon grammy pull your head outta your ass.

rymyx said:
Coldplay should be nominated for best album as well as best alternative album.

AROBTTH is one of the best albums ever, cmon grammy pull your head outta your ass.

I agree. In fact I am pissed off that AROBTTH is not nominated in that category. That's the Grammies, though.:madspit: :madspit: :censored: :scream:

Bono's shades said:
That was a surprise! I wasn't expecting U2 to get any nominations at all because I thought they didn't even have anything eligible this year. I kind of forgot about Walk On being on the Tribute to Heroes album. Personally I think it's a much better version of the song than what was on ATYCLB. I really don't think it will win though. I can imagine voters saying, "Huh? Didn't this song win something last year?"

it's for the performance, which was gripping, and I haven't seen all the other nominees, but the performance on the tribute show would be well-deserving of an award, it really made a powerful statement at an emotional time...

I'm really surprised they got one for that too...its such an awesome performance, it was the one that encouraged me to buy my first U2 cd, ATYCLB. But its okay if Coldplay wins too! They rock!

i love reading things like this :) rockonedge, how is your U2 library coming? ;)

Re: U2 gets 1 Grammy nomination

*Ally* said:
... for their performance of "Walk on" from the Tribute to Heroes concert.
what about "hands" and "electrical storm"???

[Universal/Sony/BMG/EMI/Warner Bros. Records]

Wha'ts wrong? Those two songs suck and faded away quickly. That's what's wrong.

Well ...

Its great that U2 are nominated at all. We should be thankful for that. And we should also be thankful that they aren't competing with Avril Lavigne.

Imagine if Avril came a year earlier, ATYCLB and its nominated tracks would have been whitewashed. I mean U2 lost out to Alicia Keys and the country music soundtrack among others - acts with much less talent than Lavigne or Vanessa Carlton.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

i would NOT say alica keys and vanessa carlton are that much better than avril lavigne. they all suck.

arobtth is the most over-rated album in history. i have no idea why i bought it, but wow is it boring. it makes atyclb sound like a rock album.

if creed wins i will quickly rip off my own arm and beat myself with it whilst hurling myself out my 3rd floor window.

:grumpy:

Back
Top Bottom