MERGED --> U2 3D REVIEWS + Back from a U2 3D screening... + U23D - **Spoiler Alert**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skott100

Acrobat
Just back from a U2 3D screening...

I'm just back from a press screening here in San Francisco. I belive my jaw is still on the floor back at the IMAX.

I will attempt a quick "review", and I use that term lightly, with a few brief thoughts... I mean other than "holy shit!" and "wow!" and "oh my GOD" that is...

Catherine Owens, you are the Eno/Lanois of U2 visually. You "get" them like no one else and as far as I'm concerned, no one belongs behind a camera crew at a U2 show other than you from now on. Paul McGuinness, get her an office at Principal. Buy her a plane. Set her up next door to the band in the south of France with a villa. Do what ever you have to do.

The people of Argentina, you are the stars of the show. Thank you for your enthusiasm. It's never been more clear how much the crowd has to do with a breakthrough U2 performance than in this movie. U2 fans around the world owe you a debt of gratitude for making this movie and this performance one of... no... THE best U2 live concert film of all time. That's right. I said it.

No one looks cooler 10 stories tall than Adam Clayton.

Bono's voice was as strong as I've ever heard it.

The audio mix constantly catches you by surprise and you'll hear things in the music that you've never heard before. And the 3D... it's such a cliche to say "you feel like you're there" but really, that's what the 3D brings to the show. So now we can all feel what it would be like to literally stand on stage with the band. Not to mention fly over them.

The opening sequence is a great tribute to us, the fans. No slow motion "band walking on stage" footage. For everyone who's ever gotten there early and made the mad dash to a great spot on the floor... you'll feel that rush all over again.

I don't want to spoil any shots for anyone but I will say Larry fans are in for a treat. Music gear nerds are in for a treat. And "The Fly" is like nothing you've ever seen before. Simply astonishing.

U2 3D is the definitive U2 live concert film. Period. They nailed it folks. It's done. This is it.

OMG. The anticipation is killing me.

Thanks for the review.

I was thinking of waiting until the 25th, but I think it's the 23rd for me.

Last edited:
Nice review! I wish we had an IMAX out here... :sigh: I'd love to see this. It sounds amazing.

I know that setlists discussions can get a bit, uh... "spirited" in here but it was the last thing I was thinking about during the movie. For me, the experience was so intense that I never gave the setlist a second thought. I love COBL, especially as a live opener and Zoo Station is one of my all time favorites but quite honestly I didn't miss them in the movie.

Songs that I have gotten a little tired of (like Pride and Sunday Bloody Sunday) were unexpectedly fresh and vital. I think the massive amount of crowd energy thrown back at the band brought the old familiar "hit parade" songs to a new place. You can see how stunned and humbled the band is by the crowd reaction and how much fun they're having on stage.

Absolute magic.

Re: Just back from a U2 3D screening...

skott100 said:
The people of Argentina, you are the stars of the show. Thank you for your enthusiasm. It's never been more clear how much the crowd has to do with a breakthrough U2 performance than in this movie. U2 fans around the world owe you a debt of gratitude for making this movie and this performance one of... no... THE best U2 live concert film of all time. That's right. I said it.

I'm not from Argentina, but I was there... :wink:

skott100 said:
I know that setlists discussions can get a bit, uh... "spirited" in here but it was the last thing I was thinking about during the movie. For me, the experience was so intense that I never gave the setlist a second thought. I love COBL, especially as a live opener and Zoo Station is one of my all time favorites but quite honestly I didn't miss them in the movie.

Songs that I have gotten a little tired of (like Pride and Sunday Bloody Sunday) were unexpectedly fresh and vital. I think the massive amount of crowd energy thrown back at the band brought the old familiar "hit parade" songs to a new place. You can see how stunned and humbled the band is by the crowd reaction and how much fun they're having on stage.

Absolute magic.

I have to ask...don't put too much spoilage into it.....but is "Vertigo" as the intro awesome??

:wave:OK LA FOLKS!! The Bridge is going to post the all the info about U2-3D on their website tonight after 5pm...
**Tickets will go on sale TONIGHT!!!!**
I am waiting to the woman who will tell me about group sale tickets to calll me back.

http://www.thebridgecinema.com/guide/guide.asp?l=7801

P.S.
Lets make arrangments in the Discotheque thread so we can all meet up and plan this movie viewing party out:yippie:

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DON'T THINK I CAN STAND ANOTHER MINUTE... Wow!! what a review! :bow:

thanks so much.. except now the suspense is killing me.. I have to wait another 8 days! Not so sure I am gonna survive this..:faint:

again mulitudes of thanks go ur way!!! :wink:

zoopop said:

I have to ask...don't put too much spoilage into it.....but is "Vertigo" as the intro awesome??

It's hard not to get caught up in the energy at the start of the show, so yeah, "Vertigo" is awesome. Plus, I saw it in a huge IMAX theatre with about 8 other people and it blew my mind. I think seeing it opening night with a house full of U2 fans would probably be just... actuaully now that I think about it... that might be TOO much. God help us all.

OK... OK... I'm gonna shut up now instead of wearing out whatever welcome I might have and let this thread do it's own thing. Just wanted to share some excitement with everyone and let y'all know that 2008 is off to a roaring start for U2 nerds. I don't want to spoil anything by talking about it any more than I already have, but if you have specific questions, you can always PM me.

skott100 said:
OK... OK... I'm gonna shut up now instead of wearing out whatever welcome I might have and let this thread do it's own thing. Just wanted to share some excitement with everyone and let y'all know that 2008 is off to a roaring start for U2 nerds. I don't want to spoil anything by talking about it any more than I already have, but if you have specific questions, you can always PM me.

No, no please stay we are so happy that you came in and gave such an amazing review... I love it.. I understand not wanting to give away anymore and you didn't really.. You did a smashing job of capturing the feeling and the experience of it all.. And since the theater wasn't full when you saw it I'd say you MUST GO SEE IT AGAIN NEXT WEEK... with a full crowd! :D

hey btw.. I saw Zoo Station back in Portland before the last vertigo show, 12/19... You guys were great!

Last edited:
I wanted to go see it. I had called The SF Metreon all last week and they told me they were having a special screening today but never gave me informatin. I wanted to go so badly

I'm glad to read such an exciting review. Now I think a 3 hour train ride each way and an overnight stay in a hotel will be worth it!

Back
Top Bottom