MERGED --> U2 3D REVIEWS + Back from a U2 3D screening... + U23D - **Spoiler Alert**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:
We were sitting in the hallway of the theater before they let us in, and they had a TV screen playing coming attractions. Well, three previews on a constant loop.

One of them was for The Dark Knight, and everytime Heath Ledger showed up on the screen, we all sighed. :(

:( very sad.

Saw it last night in Denver. The theatre was about half-full but all real U2 fans and it was great. Sound, picture, everthing was great. :wink: I am going to see this over and over again. :drool:

I am jealous of those of you who have already gotten to the show.

I have a question for those folks in the know: How long do you think the movie will stay in a theater in a mid-sized market (Cincinnati)? Seems like crowds have not been overwhelming.

I'm trying to figure out a time when the wife and I can go, but it involves babysitters and the whole thing. If I know time is of the essence, I'll just go by myself!

You probably should call your theatre. Our big Imax here in San Diego said they would only play it for 2 days :tsk:

ahittle said:
I have a question for those folks in the know: How long do you think the movie will stay in a theater in a mid-sized market (Cincinnati)? Seems like crowds have not been overwhelming.

Yeah ... that's not something we'd know, man. Call the theater and ask. :wink:

I don't know that the schedule is based on turnout, though. I'd guess it's set in advance.

bonocomet said:
You probably should call your theatre. Our big Imax here in San Diego said they would only play it for 2 days :tsk:

Holy crap. I have to get on this. Thanks for the info.

Saw it last night and highly recommend it.

Bummed to see that Elevation didn't make it into the flick though.

I know, really ridiculous! Although both shows I saw yesterday (the opener at 12:30 and the 5 pm) were nearly empty :( And the 7pm according to Carek had only a few people. Dammit SD what is wrong with you people :madwife:

Is that the Imax that's on the u2 3d movie website?

'Cause I just checked on Fandango and saw tickets for today, tomorrow, Saturday, Sunday.....
I didn't check further than that.
So I guess they changed their mind.
Or they mistakenly thought Hannah Montana started playing this weekend.
:lol:

Maybe it will be more crowded during the weekend.

Last edited:
one of the main reasons why I loved this so much.....it's the closest i'll ever get to my dream of being in U2 (or a rockstar for that matter) playing to thousands of screaming fans in an open air stadium...

corianderstem said:
That? Was super fun.

I thought The Fly was amazing - the text was made for the 3D treatment. The only song I wasn't thrilled to hear was With Or Without You, but by halfway through I was grooving along anyway.

Okay boys. I'm ready for you to tour again.

It was the late show in Seattle (the 7:00 show was some special event for employees or something), and it was about half full. I didn't see too many people rocking out like I was, but that's not really surprising about Seattle.

When the introduced the film, they said "are you ready for U23D?" and about half the crowd hooted and hollered. Then there was a pause, so I yelled "I LOVE YOU BONO!" and there was half-hearted laughter.

Whatever, people - get more excited!

Cori, I totally get your Seattle joke! Hilarious!
I am going on Saturday 1st and 2nd show and promise to be excited!!!!!

I think I'm going to try to go on Saturday and then to the @U2 shindig (although I hate maneuvering around the area by the Space Needle and the party locale - it's such a pain in the ass and I'm really lazy about parking).

tuwie said:

thanks for the tips. btw, second to last row is actually pretty good if it's an IMAX theater. heard you don't want to sit too close for those =)
i am going on saturday night (9:30 pm showing in Irvine, discothequeLP, if you want to see it again hahaha! i think you are close to there, if i'm not mistaken!) with a few friends. we are still waiting on some more people's availability, so we can't really buy online tickets just yet.....so hopefully we do not end up with crappy seats if we buy them when we get there!

discothequeLP, was it crowded when you saw it? did you see it at the spectrum?

actually, i drove up to LA to see it with a friend, i didn't even know it was showing a the spectrum until i checked last night on a hunch. i might go see it again sunday night.

arw9797 said:

I saw it at the zoo yesterday. The person I talked to before buying my tickets told me it was PACKED the night before for the midnight viewing. 50 people in that place is hardly packed! I didn't think the glasses were bad.

I sat about 2-3 rows down from the last row in the place. We first sat down closer to the front but then realized it was too close. The theater staff did say to sit as far back and in the middle as possible to get the best view.

Haha, it was hardly packed--he probably wasn't even there. ;) The place was maybe 1/4 full at MOST (and probably more like 1/6 full). Glad the glasses were good to ya. How packed was your showing? Were people excited?

Yeah, sitting way in the front doesn't seem like it would be very fun! Maybe at the "normal" 3D theaters it'd be fine, but not when you have to crane your neck *that* much.

RedrocksU2 said:
I don't know if someone else posted the review from Cnet.com....but here it is...

"No 3D in 'U2 3D' without binocular vision

Posted by Daniel Terdiman"

A little background: I have strabismus, better known to some as "lazy eye," a condition that, among other things, means that I don't have normal, binocular vision, like most people....

For me, I guess I got a hint of it. A few times, when something in the film was right in front of the camera, I got the sense of 3D. Some examples were shots taken right behind audience members. I will admit that it felt like they were right in front of me....

But that was about it. It makes me wonder why I would get these small tastes of 3D but that, for the most part, I wouldn't experience it.
"

I saw the movie last night and experienced a similar problem (I'm legally blind in one eye). I'm just glad it used the grey-in-both-lenses-glasses instead of the old red-and-blue dealies, because I can't see anything at all with those things. With the grey ones I at least caught some of the 3D effects.

Regardless, I thought the film was outstanding and would recommend it even if you're, uh, visually compromised like I am. I would have killed for Until the End of the World to be on the setlist, though. :wink:

rosephile said:

How packed was your showing? Were people excited?

including me and my friend, there was a total of 8 people in the place! :der: But we did see it on a Wednesday afternoon. I'm going again this weekend so I'm guessing it will be a little busier. The actual parking lot for the zoo yesterday was fairly crowded, which surprised me because the temps are in the negatives. :huh: I was shocked to walk into an empty lobby and then empty theater. No one seemed to be excited at all other than me :(

That's way sad. :huh: I guess just nobody knows about it.
I'm going again tomorrow night (7:15), hoping for a Friday night crowd...tomorrow & Saturday are our best bets, y'know?

Vancouver show 70% full -

Just got back from the show....wow!! It was f---in fantastic!!

I wanted to clap after every song but nobody else was so I felt I'd look like a maniac, though I think everyone else there wanted to do the same thing. Perhaps Canadian politeness!

As an AB fan I really wanted to hear Love Is Blindness at the end but what can you do?

The shot from Streets where Adam Clayton was in the foreground and Bono on the centre part was insane.....I think the band were absolutely having a great time.

Cheers!

Just came from a 9:30 show in San Diego and this time the theatre was much more crowded than yesterday. Cool! :up:
I've had no trouble with the glasses at all (over my glasses) and can see the 3d effects just fine no matter how I tilt or turn my head. :)

Probably a dumb question, but for anyone in MN (anyone seeing it at the Minnesota Zoo, I mean) it's not going to be sold out tonight, is it? Just being a Friday night and all. Probably not, but better safe than sorry, ha ha.

Slipstream said:
Vancouver show 70% full -

Just got back from the show....wow!! It was f---in fantastic!!

I wanted to clap after every song but nobody else was so I felt I'd look like a maniac, though I think everyone else there wanted to do the same thing. Perhaps Canadian politeness!

As an AB fan I really wanted to hear Love Is Blindness at the end but what can you do?

The shot from Streets where Adam Clayton was in the foreground and Bono on the centre part was insane.....I think the band were absolutely having a great time.

Cheers!

clapping thing isn't just canadian politeness.. The folks at the showing I was at in DC were basically the same.. I wanted to do the same but felt like a looney after a bit.. So, I can relate...:D

and it killed me that i had to stay in my seat...:sad:

Back
Top Bottom