MERGED --> U2 3D REVIEWS + Back from a U2 3D screening... + U23D - **Spoiler Alert**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
most of you guys seem to be saying there wasn't a lot of promotion and your theaters weren't full and there wasn't much of a crowd.......i was going to ask if you guys thought it would be necessary to buy my tickets online before coming, just to secure myself a spot, because i don't want to drive all the way to the theater and be told they sold out......so do you guys think buying online would be unnecessary? i don't want to buy online unless i really have to, because i'm still not sure who is coming, and i don't want to end up with more tickets than i need.

Yeah, the crowd was pretty thin but there were a few die-hards there. I might have annoyed the guy next to me with my squeals of excitement during the first three songs or so.

Got tix for Saturday and we're in the 2nd to last row so I'm assuming that it'll be more crowded.

My favorite moments: I was actually moved by 'SYCMIYO'... The Bono/Adam moments were hilarious as well as Bono grabbing his own ass.... the crowd bouncing along, looking like an ocean of people... Watching the concentration/effort Bono takes to sing Miss Sarajevo... what a cool experience. I hope my son likes it.

Ok, i just saw it again, after pondering my first viewing last week, and I liked it a ton more the second time i saw it. it seemed more cohesive and One was even a lot better than I originally wrote. I realized watching it what it was that bothered me the first time through. The first time I loved the intro. It was a cool cool intro, and it started off with great visuals, and even was a good version, but it seemed like Bono put in on cruise control at the end and it wasn't like what it was when there was the whole passionate ending that used to happen in the song.

But I really liked the movie much more the second time I saw it. Very solid and again i must say the mixing was incredible. LAPOE was sweet. Also the the girl and guy who complimented my hat and gave my girlfriend a poster, thank you so much!! It's up on the wall already!

unbelievable. the first time i saw the stage, and finally got to see what 3D really is, my jaw dropped and i crapped my pants and passed out at the same time. WOW. i had no idea 3D would be so AWESOME. amazing! breathtaking. i couldn't breath or close my mouth for first 20 minutes or so. the wide shots are in-fucking-credible. and, without giving anything away, there are things that make it way more than any show U2 has released (eg. THE FALLING LETTERS OH MY FUCKING GOD. SOME WERE BEHIND EDGE, SOME WERE IN FRONT OF HIM, WHAT THE FUCK THAT WAS AMAZING!) .

i have to see it at least 3 times. wow. absolutely unbelievable. i think u2 have done it again. ZooTV was a visionary accomplishment and made U2 fucking kick ass beyond words. i think U23D puts the band back in that category. AMAZING.

i forgot to mention: THE SOUND MIXING FUCK FUCK SHIT FUCK THAT BLEW MY BALLS OFF. i LOVE how for some camera angles the sound would pan left or right depending on where each of them were. also with the crowd noise. INCREDIBLE

oh yeah: "Yaweh City" was just the icing o the cake. those visuals have never been so fucking incredible. YOU FUCKING ROCK U2 NO WONDER YOU'RE THE BEST BAND EVER

Last edited:
zuropa_fit said:
Got tix for Saturday and we're in the 2nd to last row so I'm assuming that it'll be more crowded.
thanks for the tips. btw, second to last row is actually pretty good if it's an IMAX theater. heard you don't want to sit too close for those =)
i am going on saturday night (9:30 pm showing in Irvine, discothequeLP, if you want to see it again hahaha! i think you are close to there, if i'm not mistaken!) with a few friends. we are still waiting on some more people's availability, so we can't really buy online tickets just yet.....so hopefully we do not end up with crappy seats if we buy them when we get there!

discothequeLP, was it crowded when you saw it? did you see it at the spectrum?

Wow. _The_ coolest thing I have ever seen. Very, very well done. This is the sort of thing that's going to get people going to movie theaters again.

My only complaint was the volume. The theater (Ronnies in St. Louis) had it way too low :( It was even lower than a regular movie it seemed, and this is a concert! I've emailed them already... hopefully it's better when I see it again this weekend.

caught this thread t the end of my netcafe visit.....so only read 2 pages......

am ....vVERY.....dissapointed that ZOOTV & COBL {[/B]2 of my ALLTIME very fav U2 {and R*&R songs in general} songs[/B] will NOT be in it ESP becasue of the *INCRDIBLE VISUAL* LIVE presentation they present!:( :(

I guess maYBE BECAUSE they were in Chi.........and they ROCKED the HOUSE there, already?

BUT skott still extremely :hyper: psyched about it, esp after your review!!!!
will be loving the sound mix, "sounds" like! it !!!

and go! Woman cinematopgrapher!!! :lock: :lock: :hi5:

Saw it twice today. Amazing. And the theatre in San Diego had the music turned up LOUD. It was like being there. The bass was shaking down the building. :up:

@ midnight Tuesday night (technically Wednesday) at the MN Zoo IMAX. There were only like 50 people there, and yeah, that was kinda sad. Also, there was a showing for members of that theater (or something!) earlier, and THEY got a U2 tribute band performance (Rattle and Hum) before the movie. Pfshh.

For anyone in MN, anyone else find their 3D glasses uncomfortable? I've seen 3D movies at three different theaters and the glasses have all been different, these being the cheapest (heh, greeeeat). I had to put them near the end of my nose, which didn't feel right, and they wouldn't stay on my ears (too wide).
It was amusing to discover that the 3D didn't work if I tilted my head beyond a very slight angle. Don't rock out too hard--you won't be able to see!
Oh, and I sat a couple rows from the back, and I think a *couple* rows forward would've been the best. The screen didn't quite take up my whole vision, and I think you'll be most fooled into thinking you're *there* if you only see screen.

So yeah, next time will be Friday night, when that theater'd BETTER BE FULL. :wink:

And yes, it rocked.
"The Bono/Adam moments were hilarious"!? Uhhhh, more like, AMAZING, and my favorite moment of the whole thing, *including* The Fly. ;) :D

I saw it last night :drool:

And I was completely blown away. I know would like it, but I wasn’t expecting such a well produced “film”. The shots on each band member were really done well. (Watching Larry play was real treat.) U2:3D is such an experience, like something at Disney World.

I give U2 major credit for producing something like this and releasing for the fans. This movie wasn’t made to make $100 million plus, it was made for us. To give us a very unique experience to see U2.

I went.
I say.
*They* conquered.

I went to opening day in Orlando. The 3D was subtle but effective (not many "in your face, DUCK!!!" moments).

Our sound system wasn't as loud as a concert would be. I had earplugs at the ready, but we didn't need them.

My DH has never been to a U2 concert before (!) When it was over, he turned to me and said, "Thank you."

The opening concert shot, from Larry's vantage point, made the tears start. I cried through the first song just remembering and feeling the sheer energy and joy I've felt at concerts. Recovered during the second song ... lost it again during "Beautiful Day." (This repeated itself a few times, SYCMIOYO hit a very personal note with me and seeing Bono's emotions up close added to it.) WTSHNN *always* makes me cry. The first time I saw this in concert has to be one of the most joyous and freeing moments of my life. Seeing the audience jump up and down in waves (in 3D, no less) did it again.

I was glad everyone got good "air" time, not just Bono. At a concert your eyes are naturally drawn to him because he's just such a juggernaut.

Everyone has a personal set-list they'd love to see and hear played. This one wasn't mine. And I was okay with that -- I would have liked at least another half hour, though.

It felt strange to be sitting down the whole time. My feet and legs, hands and head wanted to MOOOOVE during "Sunday Bloody Sunday" -- my DH has never witnessed the U2-concert me, he almost did last night. ;-)

There's a moment during Streets where Bono and Adam look at each other and it made me catch my breath. These guys really like each other. You'll know it when you see it.

And, Larry -- you take your job way too seriously. It was great to see the blazing smile at the end.

What song do I think they should have added if they could only add one? Elevation, no doubt. That's a great audience-participation song.

Great, great, great (can I add a "great" here?) show. Disconcerting to get up and just walk about of an almost empty auditorium, though, not having to fight crowds and not being a total sweatball .....

A telling comment: On the way out, there was a little boy about 8 or 9 with his dad. He said, "Dad, you are *so* going to have to take me to a real concert now." U2 is earning another generation of fans.

Well done.

In-f'ing-credible.

Any of us could talk for hours about how amazing this movie is. :faint: Just a few highlights for me----the first time you're inches away from Edge or Bono; the "proper way" to do The Fly words; the shots of Bono on the b-stage where you see the entire stadium, and every single fan sticks out in 3D; the whole front half of the GA pogo-ing during Streets; and of course, the Yahweh city.

Planning on seeing this at least twice more. Our IMAX said it's only showing there through the end of February...

I would like to add Catherine Owens & Mark Pellington did a awesome job as directors. Let them direct every U2 show (DVD) from now on.

And the sound was fantastic. The crowd & music was mixed really well.

I was very pleased with the sound. I didn't find it to be ear ringing loud, but it was loud. The FEEL of your seat with the bass is incredible. I felt like they showcased the four of them very well, unlike some of the DVD's where they get stuck on Bono for too long. It didn't feel like they should have been showing something else like with a Hammish dvd.. all the shots seemed appropriate. Loved the crowd movement during Streets, and the cellphone shots during One.

We had some technical difficulties for LAPOE and they had to stop the movie for a few seconds. I guess I'll have to go see it again :drool:

So... What was that orange stuff Larry was drinking :wink:

A top-notch production all the way. Great camera angles that we have not seen before in U2 dvds. Some might prefer the 60-foot tall IMAX screen, but at times I thought it was like watching TV from 4 feet away. I think it'll look better on a smaller screen. The audio mix is the best I've ever heard in any movie - musical or otherwise. Hopefully they will release the soundtrack in 5.1 - it is incredible. The 3D technology is promising however, and future live broadcast concerts will be awesome.

rosephile said:
@ midnight Tuesday night (technically Wednesday) at the MN Zoo IMAX. There were only like 50 people there, and yeah, that was kinda sad. Also, there was a showing for members of that theater (or something!) earlier, and THEY got a U2 tribute band performance (Rattle and Hum) before the movie. Pfshh.

For anyone in MN, anyone else find their 3D glasses uncomfortable? I've seen 3D movies at three different theaters and the glasses have all been different, these being the cheapest (heh, greeeeat). I had to put them near the end of my nose, which didn't feel right, and they wouldn't stay on my ears (too wide).
It was amusing to discover that the 3D didn't work if I tilted my head beyond a very slight angle. Don't rock out too hard--you won't be able to see!
Oh, and I sat a couple rows from the back, and I think a *couple* rows forward would've been the best. The screen didn't quite take up my whole vision, and I think you'll be most fooled into thinking you're *there* if you only see screen.

So yeah, next time will be Friday night, when that theater'd BETTER BE FULL. :wink:

And yes, it rocked.
"The Bono/Adam moments were hilarious"!? Uhhhh, more like, AMAZING, and my favorite moment of the whole thing, *including* The Fly. ;) :D

I saw it at the zoo yesterday. The person I talked to before buying my tickets told me it was PACKED the night before for the midnight viewing. 50 people in that place is hardly packed! I didn't think the glasses were bad.

I sat about 2-3 rows down from the last row in the place. We first sat down closer to the front but then realized it was too close. The theater staff did say to sit as far back and in the middle as possible to get the best view.

That? Was super fun.

I thought The Fly was amazing - the text was made for the 3D treatment. The only song I wasn't thrilled to hear was With Or Without You, but by halfway through I was grooving along anyway.

Okay boys. I'm ready for you to tour again.

It was the late show in Seattle (the 7:00 show was some special event for employees or something), and it was about half full. I didn't see too many people rocking out like I was, but that's not really surprising about Seattle.

When the introduced the film, they said "are you ready for U23D?" and about half the crowd hooted and hollered. Then there was a pause, so I yelled "I LOVE YOU BONO!" and there was half-hearted laughter.

Whatever, people - get more excited!

Last edited:
arw9797 said:

I sat about 2-3 rows down from the last row in the place. We first sat down closer to the front but then realized it was too close. The theater staff did say to sit as far back and in the middle as possible to get the best view.

Thanks for the tip--going to Indianapolis Saturday! :drool:

I can't wait to go see it tomorrow :) I think I might go buy my ticket tonight because IMAX movies tend to sell out around here if its a remotely popular movie.

We were sitting in the hallway of the theater before they let us in, and they had a TV screen playing coming attractions. Well, three previews on a constant loop.

One of them was for The Dark Knight, and everytime Heath Ledger showed up on the screen, we all sighed. :(

discothequeLP said:
unbelievable. the first time i saw the stage, and finally got to see what 3D really is, my jaw dropped and i crapped my pants and passed out at the same time. WOW. i had no idea 3D would be so AWESOME. amazing! breathtaking. i couldn't breath or close my mouth for first 20 minutes or so. the wide shots are in-fucking-credible. and, without giving anything away, there are things that make it way more than any show U2 has released (eg. THE FALLING LETTERS OH MY FUCKING GOD. SOME WERE BEHIND EDGE, SOME WERE IN FRONT OF HIM, WHAT THE FUCK THAT WAS AMAZING!) .

i have to see it at least 3 times. wow. absolutely unbelievable. i think u2 have done it again. ZooTV was a visionary accomplishment and made U2 fucking kick ass beyond words. i think U23D puts the band back in that category. AMAZING.

i forgot to mention: THE SOUND MIXING FUCK FUCK SHIT FUCK THAT BLEW MY BALLS OFF. i LOVE how for some camera angles the sound would pan left or right depending on where each of them were. also with the crowd noise. INCREDIBLE

oh yeah: "Yaweh City" was just the icing o the cake. those visuals have never been so fucking incredible. YOU FUCKING ROCK U2 NO WONDER YOU'RE THE BEST BAND EVER

So you liked it?

Highlights:

LOVE AND PEACE (larry walking in the smoke in slow motion, great effects with Bono tracing out the phone, TV, etc. thingy.

STREETS (incredible, makes you feel like you're in the pit with everyone)

THE FLY (enough said, spectacular)

I had issues with the setlist; could have done without some songs, would have loved to see COBL and mysterious ways.

I thought Elevation would have been cool too, they could have done some great effects with the crowd interaction on this one.

But overall it was great. Sound was amazing, and Adam's bass looks like it's going to hit you in the head all night :wink:

Very good show! I loved the fact that more than half of the shots were from Buenos Aires... :wink:

And whomever said that the Argentine crowd was not "too much into it" at the concert needs to look at this film and shut up!

It was funny to hear the "gracias, portenos!" and the "from the Pampas to Patagonia" during the Streets into, and the actual picture of president Kirchner as part of the slot machine shot before "The Fly"... but what I truly loved was the "ohhh ohhh ohhh" you hear between the encores, which is classic in Argentina...

As mentioned before, the sound mixing was amazing. The way which they mixed the crowd in and out of the movie was very well done. And, if you have a loud theater, you feel like being at a concert. My wife actually liked it better than the concert in DC, and we had row 3 next to the stage... :scratch:

I really liked the different angles and the fact that you can see a lot of the band's perspective of the show. Not the typical plain concert shot from the crowd or stands, but lots of takes from the band towards the crowd, which were :drool:

I am curious of whether this will ever be released to DVD, as you may lose quite a bit (unless you have a 75" plasma).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom