MERGED --> U2 3D REVIEWS + Back from a U2 3D screening... + U23D - **Spoiler Alert**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Should I make the 3.5 hour drive (one way) to the IMAX theatre in Harrisburg, PA or wait until it hits our local 3D theatre in February? Is the IMAX experience not to be missed with this concert film? Never been. I got a confirmation email from the only IMAX theatre in Pittsburgh that they will not be showing it at all. :huh:

you should definitely go to see it in IMAX.
seriously, once in a lifetime experience, i'm not even exaggerating.
then, when it opens next to your house, go see it again =)

bonoishot said:
Great review. :hyper::hyper:

Just booked tickets for me and my boyfriend 22nd February at Manchester IMAX ( UK) . Its on more local in a 3D screen near me but gotta go with theIMAX. :drool:

:hyper::combust:

*falls over while running to their website*

:hyper:

skott100 said:

License To Wed? That's grounds for friendship termination right there! ;-)

The Human Rights message is in there, but it's not over the top to the point where it would turn someone off. And the actual UN Declaration is integrated into the visuals in a very cool sequence so it's powerful without being preachy.

Cool. Thanks for the info!

I found out that the movie really is coming to a theater near me! Finally, a U2 event that's not hundreds of miles away! :hyper:

Tell me about it. I called them this morning and they said oh you have to come here and buy them. I said ok what showtimes do you have so I can buy tickets. We dont know was the answer?

tuwie said:
you should definitely go to see it in IMAX.
seriously, once in a lifetime experience, i'm not even exaggerating.
then, when it opens next to your house, go see it again =)

I agree here... without a doubt go for IMAX first then catch it again in a regular theater. There is nothing like an IMAX experience, I guarrantee you it will be so worth the drive!

Justin24 said:
Tell me about it. I called them this morning and they said oh you have to come here and buy them. I said ok what showtimes do you have so I can buy tickets. We dont know was the answer?

Hope you didn't drive up there to buy them.

Nope I am going to wait and see if they update tomorrow,if not then to Dublin I go.

I could never get the online ticket-purchasing site at the Pacific Science Center to load. :(

I ended up going to the box office in purpose because it was on my bus route home.

There was an advance screening here in Austin tonight, and my friend had apparently won two tickets, so we were going to go to it. Unfortunately, though, he wasn't able to get them.

I hate Best Buy. :mad:

Hey Miri and Justin,

A bunch of us U2 fanatics are going to the 9:35pm show on Wednesday the 23rd at the Metreon in SF... are you two coming along?

We'll also check out the Thursday 9:30pm show in Dublin, then back to the Metreon on Friday at 9:30pm (assuming those idiots finally post their screen times).

The Sundance version was awesome, the crowd was going nuts (wait until you see my video), but I think the IMAX version will be even better.

We're thinking about getting seats in the back row so we can stand during the entire film. It was tortuous sitting down the whole time at the Sundance premiere, so we're hoping to be surrounded by others who want to stand up, too.

Trust me, after the first shock of seeing how fucking amazing the movie looks, you'll soon feel like you're inside the stadium and will want to sing along and pump your fists and play air guitar in the middle of the theater.

Can't f'ing wait....

Re: U23D Australia

fullautoreverse said:
Found comments on another site - from an Aussie poster claiming a preview of U23D was screened before Beowolf 3D... Possibly Sydney, around the 8th of Jan...
I know it's vague - but it's something :drool:

:drool: :drool: :drool:

U23D - ** Spoiler Alert **

DO NOT READ THIS AWESOME, INCREDIBLY DETAILED FAN REVIEW IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT "U23D"

If you are weak and have no will power, please enjoy this great description from Deb in Sacramento, who just came back from a benefit screening tonight at the Esquire IMAX Theater:

1/21/2008 - U23D in Sacramento; CARES Benefit Preview

Overview:

With no ongoing U2 tour, you may have recently felt your U2 fervor fade. U23D will fix ya right up. One warning: front row at U2 concerts may never be enough again. I remember on night two, Oakland, Vertigo, Cindy and I were up front, and at one point Edge stood directly in front of and over us, and Bono joined him there for awhile (See photo on myspace). Cindy grabbed me and said "now I can die happy." That's what U23D is like.

Anyone who's made that mad dash for the front row may be disturbed by the opening sequence; the tension is very authentic. (Don't worry, you will be able to go to the bathroom and get back to your spot) So is the excitement of the "Every One!" echoing through the dark.

First up, Vertigo, naturally. Unfortunately, in this Buenos Aires concert, Bono descends rather than climbs up onto the stage. Cool though, we descend with him. The 3D effects put you in the crowd at times, with confetti being thrown rather than falling. Yes, Bono is in your space! Very close up and great detail. But we've all seen Bono in the crowd before... what blew me away was the first hovering shot of Larry and his drum set! There's a box of tissue sitting next to him with his beverage... and it really seems you could just pick up a tissue.

Vertigo

Beautiful Day - this is where I became fixated on the ring hanging on Edge's microphone. It's not a wedding ring and it's not there during a couple of songs. Is it some kind of pick?

New Years Day

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Have to say, you're almost too close to Bono during this one. It feels a little like you've entered HIS personal space.

Love And Peace (Or Else) - ABSOLUTELY AMAZING

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Bullet The Blue Sky - OK if there are non-U2 fans in your audience, expect a little laughter during this one. I was at a charity benefit and most of the people there had never been to a U2 concert. During the "when johnny comes marching home" bit, when Bono starts crawling around blindfolded, there were more than a few chuckles.

Miss Sarajevo - Bono sounds GREAT, in fact the sound on this is really surprising. I couldn't tell if it had been technically adjusted for the film, or if it was increased reverb for Bono's vocal acrobatics.

Pride (In the Name Of Love) - One great thing about the film is the shots of the crowd. I know that's surprising since we all want to stare at Edge's guitar, but I wept watching the crowd during a couple of songs. This was one of them.

Where The Streets Have No Name - And this has an AWESOME bit where the crowd is jumping up and down... and in 3D it's like a wave effect.

One - Very cool opening since, as you all know, the cell phones are lit up in the beginning of this song. That looks great in 3D. The sound on the bass is fantastic.

Then there's a bit of a break where you get that sinking feeling that... oh no, they're not going away are they? NO NO ... Here comes the baby... "ma ma, ma ma.." and the music seems to be a mash-up of Zoo Station and The Fly. Some technical difficulties seem to ensue... but then they launch into a great version of...

The Fly - I will say that the 3D letters and words, etc. are kind
of in the way of the band.

With Or Without You - Again, not usually one of my favorite songs but the SOUND is great and the CROWD is awesome. Now I see the beauty of this song for it's crowd participation!! And Bono gets so into it!!

The credits begin, but don't get up!!! DO NOT GET UP!! Some great artwork a la Vertigo liner notes (or whatever they call them these days).... leads into:

Yahweh

Somewhere between Where the Streets Have No Name and One, I started contemplating how/when I would most appropriately quit my job in order to follow the band around for the next tour... 2009ish? And if I have a kid via a.i., as I've planned, and that schedule stays on track... I would have a 6 month old during the tour? Hm. Procreation, or following U2? Would it be neglectful parenting to take a baby to follow U2? People bring kids to the concerts all the time.

I also decided that I DO want to be a female Edge. I DO want to play the guitar.

I had moments of loving my fellow U2 fans during the movie. Odd, because I went to the preview alone and got in line next to two fans who had cut in front of me and Cindy at the rail in Honolulu. We had met one of them before that, in San Jose I think... and then in Hawaii he pretended he didn't recognize us. "I'm just going to sign the banner.... up front there, just need to sign the banner and I'll leave." He didn't leave. Well, maybe in the spirit of U2 and U2 fans worldwide, I'm going to continue to be friendly with them as if I don't remember that they then stood in our spots at the rail the rest of the show.

See? U23D just renews your U2 mania, and you leave, once again, in love with the band and your fellow fans.

Re: U23D - ** Spoiler Alert **

1/21/2008 - U23D in Sacramento; CARES Benefit Preview

great review!
I was at the exact same showing and have to agree about how great it looks and how bad-ass the sound was!

I totally noticed Edge's ring and thought that it was just too big to be a ring someone would wear, but I had never noticed it in any show before today!

I also really loved how they were able to bring in the audience noise when they wanted, but also entirely remove it at times (like one part where Bono comes very close and whispers into the mic, and there isn't any crowd noise at all) I thought that was VERY cool!

I was surprised that Elevation did not make the setlist, since that one always seems to get the crowd jumpin'.

I did like the fact that a lot of Bono's talking was from the Argentina show, but before WTSHNN he names all the countries and looking up at their flags (and it's clearly in Brasil) and when he says "argentina!" the stadium boos but luckily they added cheering to the U23D audio (whereas in the recordings of the Brasil shows you could hear the boos clearly!) so it doesn't sound as mean!

It was great wearing my Hawaii Vertigo shirt and running into another fan wearing the exact same t-shirt (and then of course complimenting each other on our awesome shirts and what a great show that was).

IMAX just looks SO unreal, closer to the bands than the rare times I have met them! I can't wait to see it again in IMAX, and if you have the choice between the two, pay the extra $5 and see it in IMAX... don't wait until february at your local theatre!

4U2Play said:
Hey Miri and Justin,

A bunch of us U2 fanatics are going to the 9:35pm show on Wednesday the 23rd at the Metreon in SF... are you two coming along?

:hmm: Temping....

4U2Play said:
We'll also check out the Thursday 9:30pm show in Dublin, then back to the Metreon on Friday at 9:30pm (assuming those idiots finally post their screen times).

Woah!
Hardcore!!! :rockon:

It's going to be one of the two for me, I'm afraid.
Wednesday or Friday.
With Friday definitely having my preference, since that's my day off and I can take as long as I want getting to SF from the Peninsula.

But if show times for Friday aren't posted soon, I might succumb!

4U2Play said:
We're thinking about getting seats in the back row so we can stand during the entire film. It was tortuous sitting down the whole time at the Sundance premiere, so we're hoping to be surrounded by others who want to stand up, too.

Yes!
Great idea!

4U2Play said:
you'll soon feel like you're inside the stadium and will want to sing along and pump your fists and play air guitar in the middle of the theater.

You forgot : DANCE !!!

Totally looking forward to it.
It's going to be so much fun!

Last edited:
Re: U23D - ** Spoiler Alert **

4U2Play said:
If you are weak and have no will power, please enjoy this great description from Deb in Sacramento, who just came back from a benefit screening tonight at the Esquire IMAX Theater:

I'm not weak.
I have will power.

I'll save this to read after I've seen the movie myself.

4U2Play said:
Hey Miri and Justin,

The Sundance version was awesome, the crowd was going nuts (wait until you see my video), but I think the IMAX version will be even better.

Trust me, after the first shock of seeing how fucking amazing the movie looks, you'll soon feel like you're inside the stadium and will want to sing along and pump your fists and play air guitar in the middle of the theater.

Can't f'ing wait....

You have no Idea how badly I want to go but then that would lead to me missing my second day of school at CCSF. So I am going to have to wait until Saturday to see it unless I go Friday and Saturday :)

thats a special custom made "ring slide" that he uses for certain slide solos, etc.....for example, COBL, Mysterious Ways outro, Miracle Drug, its really thin on one side, and a bit thicker on the other for slide uses

Headache in a Suitcase said:
do we really need spoiler alerts? i mean it's a concert film... it's not a drama :huh:

LOL, I was thinking the same thing.

I wonder if Larry will reveal his true feelings for not being able to play his full kit during Yahweh?

Back
Top Bottom