MERGED --> U2 3D REVIEWS + Back from a U2 3D screening... + U23D - **Spoiler Alert**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just back from seeing it, and all I can say is WOW! It's definitely the closest thing to an actual concert. Just amazing. :drool:

Now I really can't wait until the next tour! :wink:

Just got back from seeing it...

It was pretty fantastic. That's probably the only movie I've seen everyone stay through the credits. I'm still scratching my head why COBL wasn't included, it would have been the perfect song for this type of project...

Just got back from seeing it with my wife and kids in Boston this afternoon. Show sold out! Loved it all - until the theater dropped in its canned "please move to the exits" announcement on top of Yahweh. grrrr....

I saw it this afternoon and already want to see it again :drool:

My friend who was with me was a moderate U2 fan, but she now adores them. She started crying during SYCMOYO, and she thinks Adam is hot which totally took me by surprise :lol:

After weeks of thinking I was either going to have to miss this or drive over two hours to see it, I found out it will be opening in Syracuse on the 15th. That means I can drive the hour, catch an afternoon matinee, shop at the giant mall where the theater is for a few hours, then go back and see it again before I drive home.

I can't wait! :hyper:

I'm going to catch this in an hour and a half at the IMAX theater a few blocks from my apartment.

I haven't been excited by U2 since late 2005, so we'll see if this rekindles the passion.

The standard has been set

Random rambling:

- Saw it at the Imax in MN. 3:30 show was sold out, so nice to see that turnout.
- Echoing others in that COBL would have been awesome - maybe with confetti in the 3d
- My expectations were high with the great reviews, but the movie blew them away. Now even my Hdtv looks like sh*t ;)
- I thought many of the best band member shots were of the Edge(LAPOE with the acoustic guitar for starters)
- You do feel like you're at the show, but from BOTH perspectives(fan and performer) - they did an amazing job
- My wife jokingly mentioned she had to practically sit on her hands to not try to reach out to Bono during a couple closeups
- I wish they'd have designated showings or something where you could stand. I'm not a dancer by any means, but even I had the urge to get up and move.
- I defy any U2 fan to see this movie just once!

U2democrat said:
I saw it this afternoon and already want to see it again :drool:

My friend who was with me was a moderate U2 fan, but she now adores them. She started crying during SYCMOYO, and she thinks Adam is hot which totally took me by surprise :lol:
LOL adam is a fox

Re: The standard has been set

weinerdog said:
Random rambling:

- Saw it at the Imax in MN. 3:30 show was sold out, so nice to see that turnout.
- Echoing others in that COBL would have been awesome - maybe with confetti in the 3d
- My expectations were high with the great reviews, but the movie blew them away. Now even my Hdtv looks like sh*t ;)
- I thought many of the best band member shots were of the Edge(LAPOE with the acoustic guitar for starters)
- You do feel like you're at the show, but from BOTH perspectives(fan and performer) - they did an amazing job
- My wife jokingly mentioned she had to practically sit on her hands to not try to reach out to Bono during a couple closeups
- I wish they'd have designated showings or something where you could stand. I'm not a dancer by any means, but even I had the urge to get up and move.

What a great evening I am having!! Went to see the show and then came and to find BARACK won in SC!! YEAH!! He WON BIG TIME TOO...and then Caroline Kennedy endorsed him! Awesome!! WOW! sorry...
ok back on topic...
Totally agree with you about everything!!
I saw it in Seattle this afternoon and it was a packed house!!
Nobody was jumping up and down though... I had to restrain myself. I was in awe the whole time and had a big smile on my face... I did hear alot of stomping going on around me though...
I think people were in awe of the show and it's theme. You could have heard a pin drop during Miss Sarejevo and the whole human rights segment. It was just beautiful. Girls, you could see Bono's sweat on his face... that's how close it was!! wowza. I wanted to kiss him :kiss: :drool: :drool:
Definitely want to go back and see it again! GO PEOPLE!!

Last edited:
I seriously felt like I was standing (or sitting...?) on stage with them. It all felt SO real, the film quality was amazingly good, it seriously felt like you were AT the concert rather than at a theater watching a concert on a screen.

The 3d effect isn't perfect yet, but it's miles ahead of any other 3d movie I've seen...

But what I loved was how the audio changed with camera angles... if there was a crowd shot the crowd audio was more defined, if it was a close up of the Edge his guitar and vocals were more defined... quite brilliant, it felt like you were actually filming the concert and zooming in and out of the show.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
The 3d effect isn't perfect yet, but it's miles ahead of any other 3d movie I've seen...

But what I loved was how the audio changed with camera angles... if there was a crowd shot the crowd audio was more defined, if it was a close up of the Edge his guitar and vocals were more defined... quite brilliant, it felt like you were actually filming the concert and zooming in and out of the show.

I noticed that too...at one point Bono walked off to the right of the screen and was almost out of view, and he was heard entirely from the right speakers, but as he walked back to the center his voice was surrounding again.

U2democrat said:

I noticed that too...at one point Bono walked off to the right of the screen and was almost out of view, and he was heard entirely from the right speakers, but as he walked back to the center his voice was surrounding again.

Ya, I noticed that too. Very cool!
Oh, I loved the neon graphics during LAPOE too! That was so cool, they could have done that a bit more I thought, to fit the lyrics of other songs...

I echo others sentiments when they speak of COBL. I just got my Slane CD and I'm listening to Until the end of the world and MAN!!!! if they would have added that from the Brazil show.... :drool: "Is this Rock & Roll?, Is this Rock & roll?"

Re: Re: The standard has been set

Jeannieco said:

What a great evening I am having!! Went to see the show and then came and to find BARACK won in SC!! YEAH!! He WON BIG TIME TOO...and then Caroline Kennedy endorsed him! Awesome!! WOW! sorry...
ok back on topic...
Totally agree with you about everything!!
I saw it in Seattle this afternoon and it was a packed house!!
Nobody was jumping up and down though... I had to restrain myself. I was in awe the whole time and had a big smile on my face... I did hear alot of stomping going on around me though...
I think people were in awe of the show and it's theme. You could have heard a pin drop during Miss Sarejevo and the whole human rights segment. It was just beautiful. Girls, you could see Bono's sweat on his face... that's how close it was!! wowza. I wanted to kiss him :kiss: :drool: :drool:
Definitely want to go back and see it again! GO PEOPLE!!

WHOA! What time did you see it?? We may have been at the same theatre! I saw it in Seattle at 2:30 and it was full. I saw a lot of head bobbing but no dancing...Seemed like the crowd enjoyed it judgind by big round of applaus at the end.

My girlfriend came along and although she had a bit of a headache, she was very impressed -- she thought the performance of New Years Day was especially amazing.

I thought Miss Sarajevo, Love and Peace, and Pride were amazing. Actually the whole thing was amazing. I just felt like U2 was absolutely on fire as I watched it. It just reaffirmed in my mind that nobody can top these guys -- they just have something that's hard to explain. GO SEE IT!

Yay, Seattle-ites!! :wave:

I saw it at the PSC yesterday, and I'm still on a high from how incredible it was. The whole show had SO much power, it knocked my socks off! And in a few moments, I really did feel like Bono was singing to me personally. I had to sort of remind myself to exhale...But that's a story for PLEBA :D

After reading the blogs from Sundance, etc, I was expecting the crowds to be really lively and act just like part of the concert audience (as that's what I wanted to do :yes: ), but everyone seemed to be really still through the whole thing. Add to this the fact that all my friends (none very passionate about U2) were sitting like expressionless statues. :mad: :madspit: :sigh:

So I said to myself, "you have a choice here, Kathy. You could conform to the theater audience and your friends and sit very still and respectable, or you could rock out."

My friends, I chose...to rock out, mofo.

did anybody catch the credit for original of the species? i have no clue what it was for, but it was during the credits for art/animation during songs

Re: The standard has been set

weinerdog said:
Random rambling:

:wave: I was at the 3:30 in MN too! It was very cool to see such high turnout (500 seats).

My favorite song was The Fly. I've always been partial to the sarcasm of the song, and I loooved the words being 3D on top of the band.

Re: Re: The standard has been set

onebloodonelife said:

:wave: I was at the 3:30 in MN too! It was very cool to see such high turnout (500 seats).

My favorite song was The Fly. I've always been partial to the sarcasm of the song, and I loooved the words being 3D on top of the band.

I agree with you. The intesity of The Fly on 3D was amazing. Is as if this song was made for 3D. It took me to another level. I was loving every minute of it.

:lol: Did anyone else notice that Edge's guitar kept changing back and forth during the Fly? (between the sparkle finish and vertigo finish Line 6's)

Just got back from a evening showing...and the theater was packed, the crowd was awesome and my 13 y.o. was so excited she made me promise we'd catch them next tour...:hyper:

That was one of the best movie experiences of my life...and I can't wait to go back and see it again...:applaud:

Fave moments....the crowd singing during 'One' and the malfunctioning guitar at the start of 'The Fly'...overall great experience, great sound...great fun...:up:

animeavalanche said:
did anybody catch the credit for original of the species? i have no clue what it was for, but it was during the credits for art/animation during songs

It might be an extra on the DVD, if there is one.

U2FanPeter said:

It might be an extra on the DVD, if there is one.
or maybe it was a visual from the OOTS music video?

quick question for Bay Area U2 3D fans:

The IMAX in San Francisco and the IMAX in Dublin are equally far away from where I live, so I was wondering which one was showing the movie the loudest!! :)

anyone been to the Dublin Regal IMAX ?
is the Metreon loud?

THANKS!!! :D

At the IMAX in San Diego they announced to us before the movie that they normally play movies at 2.7 volume, but for U23D they play it at 8.8, so they warned people you may want to leave now because they will not turn it down if they get any complaints. LOL. It was shaking the seats. :up:

bort269 said:
or maybe it was a visual from the OOTS music video?

Which would not need publishing information. Was there Zoo Station credit for use of the crying baby animation?

They may have used OOTS as background music in an brief ambient non-vocal form. During the encore break perhaps?

U2FanPeter said:

Which would not need publishing information. Was there Zoo Station credit for use of the crying baby animation?

good point!

bonocomet said:

for U23D they play it at 8.8

AWESOME... did people leave with bleeding ears like the ZOOTV july 14th concert in France?

Back
Top Bottom