MERGED --> Two U2 videos nominated! + VMAs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Edgette said:
What are they nominated for?

Bono is nominated in the category "Quadruple Threat Of The Year" for his work on Africa I think it was and U2 are nominated together with Green Day for "Most Earth-Shattering Collaboration" for The Saints Are Coming.

Bono and U2 are so NOT winning this. All the other nominees are half their age and totally appeal to MTV's usual audience. I don't think U2 should be associated with the VMAs, this show is just beyond ridiculous. MTV is not about music any more.

last unicorn said:
I don't think U2 should be associated with the VMAs, this show is just beyond ridiculous.

You think songs like Vertigo and Elevation cater to some elite crowd?? They totally speak to the MTV kids. The videos scream MTV all over! Sure, they have their Crumbs and Walk On moments but I've also seen pre teen girls singing yeah yeah yeah yeah to Vertigo at the local bar!

Zootlesque said:

You think songs like Vertigo and Elevation cater to some elite crowd?? They totally speak to the MTV kids. The videos scream MTV all over! Sure, they have their Crumbs and Walk On moments but I've also seen pre teen girls singing yeah yeah yeah yeah to Vertigo at the local bar!

:blahblah: :blahblah:

do you ever get sick of all your complaining? :wink:

Zootlesque said:

their ability to balance meaning and depth with popularity has always been a key component to their greatness.

U2 and Mtv are almost exactly the same age- U2 were one of the first artists to play on mtv, and mtv have generally been supportive of the band and vice versa, so there's a connection there that might run deeper than we realize, even though imo U2 have improved with age while mtv continues to spiral down the toilet..

with videos on the internet now, mtv probably need U2 much more than the other way around

xaviMF22 said:

:blahblah: :blahblah:

do you ever get sick of all your complaining? :wink:

Where am I complaining? I'm just telling it like it is. I see Vertigo as U2 speaking to the MTV kids.

Sorry I'm dissing your fav song, xavi. ;)

dr. zooeuss said:
their ability to balance meaning and depth with popularity has always been a key component to their greatness.

I agree. I got exposed to U2 in 1992 thanks to MTV. Maybe you guys are misunderstanding me. I'm not blaming the MTV demographic. I'm just saying that U2 is not above that audience. U2 is very much in the mainstream and fits well with the MTV generation!

Last edited:
There was a time when MTV was a GREAT channel (yes, I am old enough to remember this), but I guess I just don't want to see U2 associated with MTV as it is today, just makes me feel a little uncomfortable. I would find it almost embarrassing to have them win something at the MTV awards. But maybe that's just me. I looked at all the other nominees today.
:huh:

last unicorn said:
There was a time when MTV was a GREAT channel (yes, I am old enough to remember this)

Now this I agree with! :drool: I used to be such an MTV junkie in the 90s, specifically the early to mid 90s! Got exposed to a ton of music thru MTV (as bad as that may sound :shifty: ) including U2!

People may disagree with this but... MTV is not what it used to be just like the mainstream is not what it used to be! Mainstream music used to be better than what it is now. *trying hard not to let personal nostalgia affect my opinion* :whistle:

Zootlesque said:

Now this I agree with! :drool: I used to be such an MTV junkie in the 90s, specifically the early to mid 90s! Got exposed to a ton of music thru MTV (as bad as that may sound :shifty: ) including U2!

People may disagree with this but... MTV is not what it used to be just like the mainstream is not what it used to be! Mainstream music used to be better than what it is now. *trying hard not to let personal nostalgia affect my opinion* :whistle:

Agree totally. Had the same crush on MTV. Now I just can't believe the level of stupidity this station has to offer. Everytime I see Room Riders I want to throw my TV out the window.
Even awards show are not what they're used to be. I used to watch them all in 90's, but now... ("MTV Movie Award for the Best Movie of Summer that hasn't come out yet" :|). Sorry for a little offtopic but I'm tryin' just to give an example.

Say what you want, you may or you surely didn't like 90's pop music, but you can't say pop music is better nowadays... (maybe there are some exceptions, but still...)

In conclusion, I'll watch new VMAs just to see if Bono showed up, and did he win.

:drool:

pepokiss said:
but Britney's gonna be tonight... we HAVE to see her :happy:

(I knwo I am :p )

She just gave one of the most disastrous performances I've ever seen! The "WTF :huh: ?" looks on the entire audiences' faces said it all. She at least used to TRY and make it look like she wasn't lip-synching. This whole show is a disaster so far. I don't think anyone knows what the heck is going on.

Last edited:
The last semi-decent VMA show I've seen was the 03 one with the infamous Madonna/Britney/Christina bit. I wasn't a fan of that, but Chris Rock was the host that year and he frickin' rocked it.:lmao:

ahahahaha

TRAINWRECK!!!!!!!!!!!

here's someone posted on some other forum:

It’s Britney, Bitch!
No. Actually, it’s some chunky soccer mom who’s pooped out a couple of kids but is wearing a glitter bikini anyway, stumbling around the stage, lip-synching a little, but otherwise utterly f*cking confused about what, exactly, she’s supposed to be doing right now. This is sad, like someone doing Karaoke who just forgot the lyrics and isn’t really sure what they’re supposed to be doing. The cutaway shots to the celebs in the crowd are only making this more painful to watch. Britney’s back, bitch Or not really.

at first I said "is not that bad"... then it turn WORST. She lypsynched, she couldn't move fast, was CHUBBY AS HELL (still some curves), and she couldn't dance or even bend-over. Even more wierd than the stripclub dance was 50 Cent's WTF face.. PRICELESS!!!

Sarah Silverman RULES!!!! ("she has the cuttest mistakes you'll ever seen") :lmao: but the Vagina thing almost went too far, but still funny :D

I loved when Justin won that award Bono was up for (can they invent even more stupid award names?), he said what I was exactly thinking I would do if I ever won that award... he said: "I dare MTV to play more music videos!!!!!"

but he laughed at some point... I would've made that more serious

are we gonna get any REAL music acts tonight?... or just those parties crap?.... I WANT A FULL FOO FIGHTERS SONG!!!! :mad:

pepokiss said:
ahahahaha

TRAINWRECK!!!!!!!!!!!

here's someone posted on some other forum:

It’s Britney, Bitch!
No. Actually, it’s some chunky soccer mom who’s pooped out a couple of kids but is wearing a glitter bikini anyway, stumbling around the stage, lip-synching a little, but otherwise utterly f*cking confused about what, exactly, she’s supposed to be doing right now. This is sad, like someone doing Karaoke who just forgot the lyrics and isn’t really sure what they’re supposed to be doing. The cutaway shots to the celebs in the crowd are only making this more painful to watch. Britney’s back, bitch Or not really.

at first I said "is not that bad"... then it turn WORST. She lypsynched, she couldn't move fast, was CHUBBY AS HELL (still some curves), and she couldn't dance or even bend-over. Even more wierd than the stripclub dance was 50 Cent's WTF face.. PRICELESS!!!

Sarah Silverman RULES!!!! ("she has the cuttest mistakes you'll ever seen") :lmao: but the Vagina thing almost went too far, but still funny :D

I loved when Justin won that award Bono was up for (can they invent even more stupid award names?), he said what I was exactly thinking I would do if I ever won that award... he said: "I dare MTV to play more music videos!!!!!"

but he laughed at some point... I would've made that more serious

are we gonna get any REAL music acts tonight?... or just those parties crap?.... I WANT A FULL FOO FIGHTERS SONG!!!! :mad:

Justin is one of the few artists today that I actually like and respect. He at least has integrity and takes pride in what he does. He's an awesome performer, usually. I thought Sarah Silverman took it way too far in making fun of Britney's kids.

the best part was when Justin gave his "more videos" speech in front of "the hills" girls...so far the highlight was the chris brown bit...hate his singing, love the dancing

U2isthebest said:

... I thought Sarah Silverman took it way too far in making fun of Britney's kids.

ditto Kids should be off limits!

Back
Top Bottom