MERGED ----> To all the naysayers: The top 18 charitable stars:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another list - Forbes World's Billionaires from Mar 2007

http://www.forbes.com/2007/03/07/bi..._07billionaires_cz_lk_af_0308billie_land.html

Top 10
1. William Gates III (US)
2. Warren Buffett (US)
3. Carlos Slim Helú (Mexico)
4. Ingvar Kamprad (Sweden)
5. Lakshmi Mittal (India)
6. Sheldon Adelson (US)
7. Bernard Arnault (France)
8. Amancio Ortega (Spain)
9. Li Ka-shing (Hong Kong)
10. David Thomson (Canada)

Axver said:
OK, we've got a source. That's good. Now can we get a more precise reference and a link so that I can check this out myself?

Just to make it clear, I don't mean to insinuate that the original poster is a liar or anything. I'd just like to see these figures and their context for myself, and then come to a conclusion about whether to accept them as valid or not. I'd take them much more seriously if they prove to be from something peer-reviewed rather than, say, a tabloid.

OK Weekly magazine, issue #18, April 30, 2007.

Saw it in a dentist's office today.

Yikes, after checking out that magazine, I certainly don't take this figure seriously. These look like the kind of people who'd pull stuff out of their arse or spin half-truths just for an article.

I would be surprised it was on an academic database, but then again, some happen to list magazines. When I tried searching for Bono on Academic Search Premier, I even got an article he wrote in Time magazine.

This is why I stick with JSTOR. At least there, you know you're getting peer-reviewed, referenced works whose data you can actually take seriously.

Axver said:

This is why I stick with JSTOR. At least there, you know you're getting peer-reviewed, referenced works whose data you can actually take seriously.

and all full texts so you don't read through a brilliant abstract and then find out you have to actually go to a library to find the article. :wink:

thrillme said:

OK Weekly magazine, issue #18, April 30, 2007.

Saw it in a dentist's office today.

Thanks for confirming what I already knew. The data was hogwash and misleading. Complied by a leading tabloid full of spindoctors and non-journalist, pushing a fictitious story and taken as fact by some here. The truth is out there (if you're willing to look for it) Embrace the truth! tsk tsk tsk

Last edited:
Liesje said:

Does "band's worth" refer to how much they are all worth factoring in everything? Or just the money they've made from being in the band? (selling music, concerts, etc)? B/c how can you "divide by five" the money that Bono makes in his own business ventures?

There's probably not too much science to it, no. Just an estimate on what U2 Inc. have made, more like the U2 business is worth $900mill. The truth could go either way, maybe Bono invested all of his Popmart profits in Google and he's worth 10 times that, or maybe he invested it all in stuff that's gone bust and he's worth a quarter of that. Maybe he's terrible with money. Maybe in reality Adam is worth 10 times Bono. You never know, and probably never will. Even that U2 Inc. estimate is probably off considering they would be looking at things like sales, tour profit etc and not considering the way U2 run their business, for example they are probably adding their late 80's profit to their early 90s profit, ignoring the fact that they invested much of their late 80s cash back into ZooTV - things like that. Who knows really.

Back
Top Bottom