MERGED ----> To all the naysayers: The top 18 charitable stars:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally I don't care who donated what. Publicized amounts never tell the whole story, and sometimes attention to an issue can be more valuable than just money.

Bono doesn't go around bragging about how much of his own money he puts into Africa, and I'm glad he doesn't. He'd look like an absolute wanker if he did (not that plenty of people, including myself from time to time, don't think he's not an absolute wanker anyway)
I've only once seen him hint at his own philanthropy, and it was practically an afterthought. This was during an interview he did in Australia, on Lateline, last fall:

I think that, just to expect people to deliver on a promise is not too much. And I mean, I just, I have to be a little careful here, because I can't tell, I feel that it's not incumbent upon me to berate Australia about its commitment to .07. I can tell you that Australia's in the top two most generous peoples on Earth, as far as private philanthropy is concerned. Ireland is number one, by the way.

It's worth pointing out the way that Bono says it. Before he mentions that Ireland is number one, he sort of looks around in an amused way, as though he's about to tell a big secret, and then laughs after he says it.

The interview can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1NSyEb9VGs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IP1oQR09fQ

That particular quote occurs at 4:49 in the second half.

Like I said, I got it when I was researching for a paper today on an academic journals archives site, and came across this one in the year 2000 to year 2005 archives section. I read it, pasted it and closed it.

It was little-publicized but I'm sure it can be found somewhere online now. I had to get through many links to get to it though. :)

Babydoll said:

5155_full.jpg

Babydoll said:
Like I said, I got it when I was researching for a paper today on an academic journals archives site, and came across this one in the year 2000 to year 2005 archives section. I read it, pasted it and closed it.

It was little-publicized but I'm sure it can be found somewhere online now. I had to get through many links to get to it though. :)

when did you say this? :confused:

Chizip said:
cross forum posting :tsk:

sarcasm.gif

i would'nt be suprised if that figure was accurate :hmm:
like others have said alreay, its really non of our buisness when, where, he donates.

atleast he's trying to help anyway he can.

Babydoll said:

whatever you're doing of academic work currently, be careful not to try to document anything with statements like this.

Chizip said:

:confused:

Are you serious?? Is finding a new thread on Pleba really all that difficult for you?

Ok... since you apparently can't, I'll give you directions:

Click on Pleba, and scroll down till you see this thread. Scroll down in the thread till you see Liesje suggesting I post it in EYKIW. And report back to me when you see it.

:happy:

I dont for a minute presume Bono has handed over $150m over any given period of time. I think its more likely the figure he has been credited with raising/getting debts written off.

gman said:
I dont for a minute presume Bono has handed over $150m over any given period of time. I think its more likely the figure he has been credited with raising/getting debts written off.

Babydoll said it was from 2000 to 2005.
he could of given $30million a year.

thats like half of his share he prolly gets from touring alone :shrug:

Babydoll said:

Are you serious?? Is finding a new thread on Pleba really all that difficult for you?

Click on Pleba, and scroll down till you see this thread. Scroll down in the thread till you see Liesje suggesting I post it in EYKIW. And report back to me when you see it.

:happy:

i'm not going into pleba.
you going into pleba?
nah, i'm not going.
let's get chizip to do it.
yeah, he'll do anything.

chiz - where's the link, man?

Babydoll said:

Ooh, good. Which academic journal archives site? Which academic journal, volume, issue, page number?

I'd like to look this up, in the interests of verifiability. As someone who seems to be doing something in the academic field, I'm sure you're aware of the importance of this. Plus, if I ever do cite this figure, it would sound much better to say "I read it in the Journal of Academicness" rather than "someone on an online forum said it was reported somewhere".

I believe I randomly came across it on Academic Search premier and not an internet search engine. I was searching archives, saw the word Bono, clicked, and pasted it here. I did not use that article, so I did not write down all the details needed for a source.

Back
Top Bottom