MERGED ----> There are too many flaws on best of + Gone/SATS Bastardized! + Sorry...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Salome said:
and since this forum is so big on people being allowed to express their own opinion I want to express my opinion that I feel a lot of the people moaning about this best of are whiners

:up: Well said (well, your entire post, actually, but especially this part!).

The 1990's were U2's best decade, but this Best Of is a terrible representation of it. Therefore I'm not buying it.

Bitch bitch bitch :rant:

I personally love the Best Of 1990-2000. Everything about it. From the song selection, to the b-side remixes, to the remastered sound (anyone else notice that but me?). All the songs go well together and it is just one helluva collection of music.

Oh my God they made new mixes. Oh my God they left off some of the greatest b-sides (I don't know about you, but I don't exactly miss "fortunate son"). Oh my God there's no "Lemon"! Oh my God "the Fly" isn't on the US release! Oh my God they killed "Miss Sarajevo" by editing a few seconds off of it (mind you that what is on the Best of was also the single version). Oh no the "boom cha's" are gone! This is all one tune that is being played out awfully quickly, cockeyes.

Why don't cha say something nice, eh?

How about the 2 new songs? "Electrical Storm" takes time to grow on you, but once it does you'll be singing right along with the cd. "The Hands That Build America". The song is beautiful.

How about the remastered sound that I mentioned above. Did jah even notice that some songs rock harder (Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me)? Or that Bono's vocal has a beautiful echo magnified (One)?

How about the new mixes? I personally enjoy 'em. So they're different. What if they had released these new mixes back in the day and then they changed them to what they're heard as on Pop and Zooropa? Would you say that all the mixes were improvements? I doubt it. I think that lots of people forget that U2 did a new mix of "sweetest thing"... but yet there were tons of open arms for that (of course there were those that still bitched).

La dee dah.

-[z]-

Thanks Roland of Gilead and Zoocifer for your reviews. Complete and honest ones. :up:

I must confess that what Zoocifer said about the remastered sound got me even more eager to have my copy in my hands...must wait though. One more week.

I do not have this CD yet...haven't gotten the chance to get it. But I will soon. This is a new mission of mine (all the discussion is getting me very intrigued about this CD).

And before I end this post, I send thousands of cheers to LarryMullen's_POPAngel, spanisheyes, Blue Room, and Zoocifer for their posts being so well put-I agree with you guys on the whole thing with the complaining on here completely.

Angela

follower said:
Thanks Roland of Gilead and Zoocifer for your reviews. Complete and honest ones. :up:

I must confess that what Zoocifer said about the remastered sound got me even more eager to have my copy in my hands...must wait though. One more week.

:up: I love the new mixes! That's my favorite part of the new best of, aside from Hands and ES. I think it makes the compilation more interesting than if they had just thrown all the original songs onto a CD. And you know what? I think I even like the new lyrics in Mysterious Ways. The first time I listened to it I wasn't so sure, but the second time...yeah, I think it fit really well!

Blue Room said:

Once again, U2 damned if they do, damned if they dont.

I think the next time you see the band you need to sit down with them and make sure they do exactly as you want. You know, so things arent quite so reprehensible.

Critique away on the re working, new songs, etc. But to act like this is some type of travesty or reprehensible is WAY out there. IT IS A GREATEST HITS PACKAGE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Sorry, Blue Room, I almost always enjoy your comments on this forum, but I must say that in this case you're being kind of naive. Compilations like this new Best Of are pretty important -- think of how the Beatles' "blue" and "red" albums and the Stones' Hot Rocks albums established for radio which songs were the authorized "classics." A greatest-hits album does play a big role in how a band is remembered.

Secondly, the remixes are significant because they show us where the band's collective head is at these days -- though it may take the release of their next album to really put this in perspective. What I hear in these remixes is a move away from their baroque '90s productions to something simpler, more direct, less dense. For better or worse.

Finally, this definitely isn't a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" scenario. I for one loved the first Best Of -- sure, it chopped "Gloria" from the list, but overall I thought its two disks were stunning. Maybe the single best U2 product on the market, in fact. So it's not out of compulsive complaining that I say the current Best Of is seriously flawed. The flaws are just too damn conspicuous to ignore -- from the bowdlerized version of "Miss Sarajevo" and baffling omissions of "The Fly" and "Lemon" to the poor sequencing (that block of ballads!) and the presence of remixes rather than bona-fide B-sides. I think these are valid points, and shouldn't be dismissed as "nitpicking."

Thats fine.

I dont agree with what you are saying as I dont think I'am being naive, at all.

Great, you loved the first Best Of, BUT people were bitching about it left and right when it came out. So YES, it is a case of U2 being damned if they do and damned if they dont because there are some fans that will never be happy, regardless.

Best Of's are NOT for the die hard fans. If you think they are I think you are being very naive. Greatest Hits packages are designed to get the casual music buyer that does not own most or alot of an artists albums to buy an album by that artist. I know for artists that I have a passing interest in I would buy the greatest hits package over 5 or 6 of their albums.

U2 put some new songs and remixes on this Best Of to appeal to the fans that already own all of this music. Yet, people are bitching about it and want the originaly songs they already own, again? Sorry, but that makes no sense.

Also if you think the Best Of was released as some type of artistic impression, that is ridiculous. It is all about marketing and selling more albums. A band is not defined by how well a greatest hits package is or does IMO. Especially a group like U2.

Last edited:
I think people here have the right to bitch about anything U2 does with two exceptions:

1. Once people know you don't like something, you don't have to keep on preaching it over and over again. Expressing your dislike once or twice should do it.

2. Don't invade "appreciation" threads and start negative shit. Those threads are for people to celebrate whatever is being appreciated.

I know these aren't forum guidelines or rules, but that's my opinion. It makes me angry to see you guys jumping on Ouizy, Bastian, and others for expressing their dislike of the Best Of. Now if they keep bashing it in every thread on the board, that's one thing. Not everyone will like everything U2 does. Of course, U2 are not obligated to please everyone, but I don't think the "whiners" are acting like U2 owes them. They just want to express their discontent and explain how they think the album would have been better. So leave the "whiners" alone already. Get off your high horses. If people don't like the Best Of, they should feel free to express that, and you should be mature enough to accept that not everyone is thrilled with it. If I'm not mistaken, this thread was started as a place where people could give their criticism.

With that having been said, my feeling on the new Best Of is that they've taken too much liberty. The first Best Of was basically single versions and the B-sides were songs that actually appeared as B-sides on the singles. On the new Best Of, they've changed several of the songs and the B-sides are not actual B-sides. To the best of my knowledge, Your Blue Room never appeared as a B-side to anything. Same goes for the Numb remix and others. I understand that U2 wanted to rework some songs, but I am a purist. I would have much preferred to have an album of singles (as they actually sounded when they were released) and an album of B-sides that actually appeared on the b-sides of the singles. Some of the singles they released aren't even on the Best Of. (Hence, people missing The Fly, Lemon, etc.)

Overall, I enjoy listening to the new Best Of. I even don't mind the remixes because I'm open to new versions of songs that I like, thus I've always been a fan of remixes. Conversely, I can see why some are disappointed, though.

That's my five cents on the subject.

HeartlandGirl said:
I think people here have the right to bitch about anything U2 does with two exceptions:

1. Once people know you don't like something, you don't have to keep on preaching it over and over again. Expressing your dislike once or twice should do it.

2. Don't invade "appreciation" threads and start negative shit. Those threads are for people to celebrate whatever is being appreciated.

I know these aren't forum guidelines or rules, but that's my opinion. It makes me angry to see you guys jumping on Ouizy, Bastian, and others for expressing their dislike of the Best Of. Now if they keep bashing it in every thread on the board, that's one thing. Not everyone will like everything U2 does. Of course, U2 are not obligated to please everyone, but I don't think the "whiners" are acting like U2 owes them. They just want to express their discontent and explain how they think the album would have been better. So leave the "whiners" alone already. Get off your high horses. If people don't like the Best Of, they should feel free to express that, and you should be mature enough to accept that not everyone is thrilled with it. If I'm not mistaken, this thread was started as a place where people could give their criticism.

With that having been said, my feeling on the new Best Of is that they've taken too much liberty. The first Best Of was basically single versions and the B-sides were songs that actually appeared as B-sides on the singles. On the new Best Of, they've changed several of the songs and the B-sides are not actual B-sides. To the best of my knowledge, Your Blue Room never appeared as a B-side to anything. Same goes for the Numb remix and others. I understand that U2 wanted to rework some songs, but I am a purist. I would have much preferred to have an album of singles (as they actually sounded when they were released) and an album of B-sides that actually appeared on the b-sides of the singles. Some of the singles they released aren't even on the Best Of. (Hence, people missing The Fly, Lemon, etc.)

Overall, I enjoy listening to the new Best Of. I even don't mind the remixes because I'm open to new versions of songs that I like, thus I've always been a fan of remixes. Conversely, I can see why some are disappointed, though.

That's my five cents on the subject.

I agree 150% Well said :up:

and if complaining makes me a whiner then I think...

that complaining about complainers makes one a whiner too

:sexywink:

How could I forget a very important thing regarding this Best Of!

Yes Zoocifer! The remastered work done on this collection is so much louder, crisper, and sharper.

No, you don't exactly have to buy it, but you'd be an idiot not pick this up just for the update in sound quality of these hits. The Achtung Baby and Zooropa tracks are very noticable improvements.

I am very sorry if I think some of you are idiots, but sound quality is an important concern for any serious U2 fan.

HeartlandGirl said:
On the new Best Of, they've changed several of the songs and the B-sides are not actual B-sides. To the best of my knowledge, Your Blue Room never appeared as a B-side to anything. Same goes for the Numb remix and others.

I have to correct you here. Your Blue Room did appear as a B-side. Together with North And South Of The River it appeared on the Staring At The Sun single. (and although I understand U2's sentiments that it's a great song that deserves a wide audience, I still think they should not have hijacked the Passengers song and release it as being U2, same goes for Miss Sarajevo on this Best Of...). As for the Numb remix, that one did not appear as a B-side. It was however included on Melon and some compilation album (Special Brew).
Apart from the Numb remix the only other songs never appearing as a B-side are Electrical Storm and EBTTRT (Perfecto Mix). Both are A-sides! This version of Electrical Storm is on the single with the live medley. And EBTTRT (Perfecto Mix) was released as a remix single shortly after the original single. In the UK the remix version even charted higher than the normal version. Still, I think the remix version belongs on the B-Sides and not on the A-sides disc.

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:

I have to correct you here. Your Blue Room did appear as a B-side. Together with North And South Of The River it appeared on the Staring At The Sun single. (and although I understand U2's sentiments that it's a great song that deserves a wide audience, I still think they should not have hijacked the Passengers song and release it as being U2, same goes for Miss Sarajevo on this Best Of...). As for the Numb remix, that one did not appear as a B-side. It was however included on Melon and some compilation album (Special Brew).
Apart from the Numb remix the only other songs never appearing as a B-side are Electrical Storm and EBTTRT (Perfecto Mix). Both are A-sides! This version of Electrical Storm is on the single with the live medley. And EBTTRT (Perfecto Mix) was released as a remix single shortly after the original single. In the UK the remix version even charted higher than the normal version. Still, I think the remix version belongs on the B-Sides and not on the A-sides disc.

C ya!

Marty

Thanks for the info. To clarify, my single of SATS does NOT have Your Blue Room as a B-side, but I'll take your word for it that it probably appears on another version of the single. The fact that some of these "B-sides" were actually A-sides just proves the point further.

there are flaws

I'm still waiting for my copy of the limited edition in the mail. :scream: But judging by the gazillion threads I've read on the subject and the mp3s I have (all those remixes), here goes...

I like the value of the package (I paid just 15 bucks to Best Buy, including shipping!!!!!). The setlist on Disc 1 is not bad but they should have included 'The Fly'. And the versions of Electrical Storm should have been switched. Disc 2 seems to be the biggest flaw in this collection. Who asked for double remixes of EBTTRT, Numb, Mysterious Ways and Discotheque??? And the jeep mix of Lemon is just awful. Were these remixes even actual B-sides?? Why not just put the actual B-sides like they did for Best of 1980-90?? I'm sorry but it looks like the band was too careless and irresponsible with the setlist for Disc 2. A Greatest Hits package should be a little more serious! As somebody said, a lot of people got into the Stones after listening to Hot Rocks. If somebody totally new to U2 listens to this B sides disc, I dont think its gonna grab them at all!

HeartlandGirl said:
It makes me angry to see you guys jumping on Ouizy, Bastian, and others for expressing their dislike of the Best Of
I don't have a problem with people expressing their dislike
but posting :barf: smilies and talking about how U2 butchered some songs does not put me in a mild and understanding mood

and I'm quite sure it wasn't nesecary to start yet another thread about how much this best of sucks in your opinion
there should be plenty of threads on this subject flowing about around here

U2

Salome said:
and I'm quite sure it wasn't nesecary to start yet another thread about how much this best of sucks in your opinion

U2

:yes:

HeartlandGirl said:
It makes me angry to see you guys jumping on Ouizy, Bastian, and others for expressing their dislike of the Best Of.

It amazes me how so many of the regulars around here get so angry when people 'jump' on other people's negative opinions about U2. If they have the right to come to a U2 message board, and express negative opinions about U2, then I have the right to think they are pieces of shit for expressing it. Next you'll support people's right to go to church on Sunday and stand up and talk about what a liar Jesus was, or how much the bible sucks ass.

or maybe I'm confused, and this is a place where people come to share the 'dislike' for things U2-related?

Fuck them for pissing on U2, and fuck you for sticking up for their 'right' to do it. In the context of this BBS, when did the people become more important than the band and the music?

Tip Top Prince said:

It amazes me how so many of the regulars around here get so angry when people 'jump' on other people's negative opinions about U2. If they have the right to come to a U2 message board, and express negative opinions about U2, then I have the right to think they are pieces of shit for expressing it. Next you'll support people's right to go to church on Sunday and stand up and talk about what a liar Jesus was, or how much the bible sucks ass.

or maybe I'm confused, and this is a place where people come to share the 'dislike' for things U2-related?

Fuck them for pissing on U2, and fuck you for sticking up for their 'right' to do it. In the context of this BBS, when did the people become more important than the band and the music?

Since the band and the music don't post here.
I would certainly agree you are confused if you truly believe people are only "allowed" to post positive comments and not say how they feel about...(wait for it) the band and the music.

And by the fucking way, not everyone here is Christian.

Salome said:
but posting :barf: smilies and talking about how U2 butchered some songs does not put me in a mild and understanding mood

U2

Salome, I'm really really sorry 'cause I didn't wanna post that smile:I wanted to post this one :(

I'm new here and it's the first time I use smiles.
So I apologize to every interference member and U2 fan

Salome said:

U2

Um, I didn't start any new threads about the Best Of. Perhaps this comment is not directed at me? :confused:

Tip Top Prince said:

Fuck them for pissing on U2, and fuck you for sticking up for their 'right' to do it.

Wow, that's classy.

I also don't understand the part about me sticking up for people going to church on Sundays or calling Jesus a liar. What are you talking about?

Last edited:
HeartlandGirl said:

Wow, that's classy.

I also don't understand the part about me sticking up for people going to church on Sundays or calling Jesus a liar. What are you talking about?

just ignore the moron, HeartlandGirl, U2 can be critical of church

just don't knock the new album :sexywink:

Tip Top Prince said:

Once again this thread is ridiculous. Why people cant express their opinions in a calm manner is beyond me.

And telling other members of this forum "Fuck you" Is unacceptable.

I dont have a problem with people being critical of the band. What bothers me on this thread is the logic behind being critical on a Best Of.

Most people that are critical about it are upset because of the re working of 4 songs and the Mysterious Way lyric change. There seems to be this attitude of how dare U2 change their own work. So basically people are mad that U2 did not put the exact same version on the Best Of that they already own? That argument is what is ridiculous IMO. These people basically want to pay to buy the exact same music they already own. WHY?

If you dont like the new mixes or the setlist of the Best Of thats fine. As many including myself have said, burn your own Best Of with the original versions. Whats the difference? Other than you can save yourself some money. I get the feeling from alot of posters here that they are posting critical comments just to get a rise out of people because there are some here that do overeact to certain types of threads. If that is the case, it is pretty pathetic of those people. I would seriously have to ask "Why are you here and please leave" under that circumstance.

I like most of the new mixes. Even if I didnt I would have still bought the Best Of to have those other versions. If U2 had put out the exact same songs with no new songs, I would not have bought the album. Why? BECAUSE I ALREADY HAVE ALL OF THOSE VERSIONS OF THOSE SONGS! I also think if they had done that we would have just as many if not more complaining about it.

I still dont understand why people feel the need to post mostly negative things about a band they supposedly like so much. I guess it is a form of venting. If so, there are MANY more constructive ways of dealing with frustration rather than subjecting everyone else to it. Isnt being a U2 fan suppose to be fun? I certainly think it is.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
I dont have a problem with people being critical of the band. What bothers me on this thread is the logic behind being critical on a Best Of.

Most people that are critical about it are upset because of the re working of 4 songs and the Mysterious Way lyric change. There seems to be this attitude of how dare U2 change their own work. So basically people are mad that U2 did not put the exact same version on the Best Of that they already own? That argument is what is ridiculous IMO. These people basically want to pay to buy the exact same music they already own. WHY?

If you dont like the new mixes or the setlist of the Best Of thats fine. As many including myself have said, burn your own Best Of with the original versions. Whats the difference? Other than you can save yourself some money. I get the feeling from alot of posters here that they are posting critical comments just to get a rise out of people because there are some here that do overeact to certain types of threads. If that is the case, it is pretty pathetic of those people. I would seriously have to ask "Why are you here and please leave" under that circumstance.

I like most of the new mixes. Even if I didnt I would have still bought the Best Of to have those other versions. If U2 had put out the exact same songs with no new songs, I would not have bought the album. Why? BECAUSE I ALREADY HAVE ALL OF THOSE VERSIONS OF THOSE SONGS! I also think if they had done that we would have just as many if not more complaining about it.

Agreed.

Me-ow, by the way...some people on here might want to chill out. The day we can discuss an album and just agree to disagree and discuss our differences calmly will be a miraculous one.

Angela

Tip Top Prince said:

Don't say "fuck you" to other members...that is uncalled for...

*edits to add*

I see Sicy already has said this...it's worth repeating though. There is no need for this type of behavior.

Back
Top Bottom