MERGED ----> There are too many flaws on best of + Gone/SATS Bastardized! + Sorry...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blue Room said:
1. Why are so many fans complaining so much about a re packaging of songs they already have anyway?

2. Did the original versions evaporate from you original CD's when this was released? (If so, I can burn you a copy of the original)

3. Last time I checked, it is U2's music and they do whatever the hell they want with it. They obviously were not happy with a few of the original versions of songs so they chose to re-do a few.

4. U2 are damned if they do and damned if they dont by some of the die hards. On the first Best Of the complaint was only one re-working of a B side, what a waste. So the next Best Of they re work 4 songs and give us 2 new ones. Are the "fans" happy? Apparantly not, they are pissed because they are not the original versions they already have??? Think about it, does that even make sense???!!!!!!!!

I'am sorry, I know everyone is entitled to their opinion. But the bitching about a greatest hits album is just ridiculous IMO. If U2 hadnt put new songs on there and done the re-working I wouldnt have even bought the album because I would have had everthing on it anyway.

THANK you for saying everything I was thinking
:tsk: @ dissatisfied fans

Like Blue Room said, no matter what U2 does, people will be happy, and people will be mad...they can't win no matter what.

I really thought people would be really excited just to get a new U2 release. I guess I am easier to please than some though. :D

*was like this --------------> :hyper: all day* :D

sure its just a best of, we do have all those songs, but i dont think people are being whiny or ungrateful when displaying disappointment about why the band felt they had to change songs.
its only because they love the band and those particular songs!
people sitting down at a concert because they didnt get in the front row of the heart are complainers.
fans that moan the band are only doing 3 shows instead of 4 in their town are complainers.
fans that bitch because bono didnt sign their album cover are complainers.
showing a bit if disappointment over the band changing songs that were good to begin with is not complaining. we are allowed to have our own opinions and voices over these things, guys.

im a happy u2 fan
i got new u2 music this week!
calling each other this and that, aint gonna get you anywhere.
u2 fans are so passionate, i love it :D

little boy blue said:

:rolleyes:

You are going to honestly tell me that "staring at the sun" new mix is an improvement to the pop version?

Even if you think it wasnt. There is a handy little album called POP where you can simply "pop" the disc in your CD tray and listen to the original. GASP! ;)

I can say I actually like the remix of SATS a little better. But I never liked the original all that much. I doubdt U2 would have put the reworking on there if they didnt think it was an improvement or didnt like it though.

Last edited:
Well, I just got it. Whee.

U2SJ said:

It was filmed in Helsinki on August 9,1997
Wish we could have Pop on DVD soon too!!! (Or another Pop show!)

I've listened to the PopHeart version a hundred times at least and this sounds exactly like it. If they included "Streets" with it, I would forget every complaint I've ever had about anything.

typhoon said:
Well, I just got it. Whee.

I've listened to the PopHeart version a hundred times at least and this sounds exactly like it. If they included "Streets" with it, I would forget every complaint I've ever had about anything.

Hello,

I think I agree with you here. The Please live video sounds exactly like the in the Rotterdam concert. The video also looks a lot like the video from Rotterdam, although there are some extra shots in it that may not be from Rotterdam. So why the cover says it's from Helsinki? I don't know.

As for Miss Sarajevo. Actually, it is not the single version that is on the new Best Of, but the Radio Edit. The single version was around 5:20, while the Radio Edit is 4:30. I agree that the Radio Edit is a little bit too short (either the single or the album version would have been a better choice). I'm also a bit disappointed that they now claim it as an U2 song and not a Passengers one. Nevertheless, it's a great song so it deserves a wider audience.

C ya!

Marty

Some people would complain about sex if it lasted too long.

I for one wasn't putting too much weight on this release because all these songs were already in my collection. (save for HTBA)

My Greatest Hits 1990-2000 "experience" got off to a pleasant start when the copy I bought at Walmart (tagged at $23.88), rang up at the cashier at $14.88. Who couldn't like this already?

I was on my way to work when I listened to it on my crappy car stereo, but it sounds like what they did to the Pop songs was strip away the studio crap and let the songs breathe. I hope for the next tour they play SATS as a four piece again, rather than Bono and Edge dueting at the end of the stage. The drums/percussion is better than the original.

Gone and Discotheque are very interesting. (Great w/ no BoomChas!)

Numb- I absolutely loathe this song on Zooropa, so I was suprised with the new mix. I think it flows better in this more "loosened up" form.

Myst. Ways- The new lyric: not sure why they did it, but who gives a shit, I never liked that song anyway.

I haven't listened to disc two yet. I'm not one for the dance remixes, but I'll try to listen w/ an open mind.

All in all a great listen!

Gone and SATS Bastardized!!!!

First I'll talk about the remixes of Numb and Discotheque: These are originally funky songs that were meant to be mixed, sliced and diced by dj and mixers alike. The new mixes are excellent especially Discotheque. Its more crisp and clean than the original.

NOW let me start by saying that I'm one of those "POP" album freaks that happens to love that album. "Gone" in its original studio form is amazing. Its raw, caustic and spine tingling. The live version is equally amazing in its own way and came into form in the "elevation tour". But now they are trying to re-create that live format into a studio format. It just doesnt work. They should of just released "Gone" as a live cut. Gone along with the "POP" album was a moment frozen in time and if that's what they released at the time then thats what should be remembered. Usually that first gut feeling is the right decision and that goes for anything in life. I'll stop ranting there.

Staring at the sun was a mushy song originally, yet its one of my favorite U2 songs to sing too loudly in the car such that it strains my voice. The "new mix" is a bit bland and the ending just falls apart with entirely new ideas. The original is a more passionate and desperate.

Thats just my opinion. The Best of 1990-2000 as a whole is pretty good though.

Paul.

Sorry,I didn't wanna be so critic with the new Best of

After all I'm happy to have bought it :)

It's always a new U2!

I love the buffalos picture on the cover :love: and the booklet too
:D

I hope a lot of people discover U2 and become fans with this cd:
remember that Best of's are made for the casual fans, i.e. people that haven't got any U2 album.

P.S.:I didn't wanna post that message icon near the thread!I am
new here and I need some practice with this stuffs...

:angel:

Anyone else notice how the Electrical Storm William Orbit mix is mixed & mastered at an uneven volume through out the song?

The Volume is REALLY low on the first verse, but then is mastered towards the middle and end of the song.

On the other hand, Gone is mastered at the highest volume compared to all the other songs on the cd.

Im going to listen to the U2 discs at HMV before decidin on whether to buy or not......see because I already HAVE the majority of songs...I see no point....prob why theres all these remixes........in fact, with how so many of u view it. I might not even bother.....no, not thru listenin to u lot...:)....but thru personal choice......

if they release the videos..I will get it.

i already can't wait till the new album comes out for people to rip on

I bought it first thing yesterday.

Sure, the MW lyrics change isn't to my liking and I miss the Boomcha's, but come on, people. Besides those two things, I love this thing, and the DVD is really cool. :up:

Some people=:banghead: :rolleyes:

If you're going to bitch this much, why are you even here? I don't even want to hear the "Oh, we're not even allowed to have an opinion?????" thing, because some members soley make a career here by just complaining about what the band does. :down:

And I completely agree with what Chris says:
Here is an answer to your problem...take all the songs on the Best of that you have on your cds from 1990-2000, even the original Pop songs, put on the two new songs, heck even put on a few of your favorite songs that in your estimation aren't on there, burn them on a cd, put on some artwork, slip in back into the new Best of case with its awesome artwork and booklet (in my estimation), and your good to go...I sometimes am amazed how U2 just can't seem to make everyone happy. Geez...if they are the greatest rock band in the world, you think they would have figured out by now how to make all of us happy.

Chris

:up:

spanisheyes said:
I sometimes am amazed how U2 just can't seem to make everyone happy. Geez...if they are the greatest rock band in the world, you think they would have figured out by now how to make all of us happy.:tongue:

Chris

Ive viewed this bit in two diff ways...

so Im kinda :eyebrow: over it at the moment.

I can understand some of the fan's disappointment, and I think it's ok for them to vent here without getting jumped on! :wink:

Personally, I am ok with the album. I'm happy to have a new U2 compilation and the DVD is way cool. I am disappointed about a few things, but life goes on.

I was very happy to see the good price!

Btw...
the new Numb mix...anyone else laugh at Larry's "I feel numb"s? It seemed like he dropped the falsetto and just kind of belted it out. I :heart: it as it makes me :lmao:!!

I love pretty much everything U2 does. Call it blind love but.. :shrug: I just trust them that they made the best music they could and that the new mixes etc were what they thought were best. I totally respect them.

That said, my first impressions of the new disc:

SATS :sad: I realllly like the other one better (said after one listen),

:heart: Gone remixed
:heart::heart: Numb remixed!! I can't believe how much better this one is!!

the rest i haven't listened to (enough).

:wink: Olive

p.s. :lol: Chris! :up:

:up: :up:

selection of b-sides ( remixes + b-sides , i like that )
very good booklet
dvd extra
good cover

:down: :down:

all new mixes are weaker then originals at best , new discotheque and numb sounds too sily and shows us that Larry can't sing .
Electric Storm and Hands That build america could be saved for next album .
Too many ballads on 1st cd .

U2SJ said:

It was filmed in Helsinki on August 9,1997
Wish we could have Pop on DVD soon too!!! (Or another Pop show!)

:up: Thanks! Yeah, I really would like to see Popmart on DVD...Maybe Popmart Detroit or Chicago. :sexywink: Not that I'm biased or anything!

Re: i already can't wait till the new album comes out for people to rip on

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I bought it first thing yesterday.

Sure, the MW lyrics change isn't to my liking and I miss the Boomcha's, but come on, people. Besides those two things, I love this thing, and the DVD is really cool. :up:

Some people=:banghead: :rolleyes:

If you're going to bitch this much, why are you even here? I don't even want to hear the "Oh, we're not even allowed to have an opinion?????" thing, because some members soley make a career here by just complaining about what the band does. :down:

And I completely agree with what Chris says:

:up: [/B]

Seriously! If you are so bothered by it all, why ARE you here? It does seem like it's the same people complaining over and over again. Seriously makes me :yawn: and :barf: !!!!

I'm well pleased anyway! e30 but worth every penny IMO! Love the 2 new songs, I never had a version of Miss Sarajevo, and I'm really into the new mixes of Pop songs and Numb, Gone kicks ass!!! And for all those bitchin bout them, would you be happier if they had just slapped in the originals?? Fuck it, I know I would rather a total freak of a version rather than the ones I ALREADY OWN!!!

The B-Sides, I'd heard many of them, in bits or all, but they're great!! North and South of The River was the only one I was pretty disappointed with, the Late Late Show version they did was amazing, are these even the same versions?!

And the DVD:yes: Sweet sweet lovely! Really teasing for the new release in Dec!!

And a question, do any of the tracks seem improved sound wise to anyone else? Maybe it's just me but say MW and EBTTRT and a few others sound....shinier to me:huh:

oliveu2cm said:
I love pretty much everything U2 does. Call it blind love but.. :shrug: I just trust them that they made the best music they could and that the new mixes etc were what they thought were best. I totally respect them.

Exactly. I feel the same. Won?t comment on the new Best Of though, cause I still haven?t gotten mine. One week more...

And applause for Blue Room and Chris. :up:

Last edited:
little boy blue said:
I will gladly buy everything that u2 puts out, but that doesn't mean i will blindly embrace it as if they are perfect

their next album had better have "the mother of all tunes" or what ever to make up for this retarded setlist, :censored: up new mixes, etc

simply put, it better rock to make up for this

:)

I have to say that I can agree with everything you have said here.

I just think that setlist is so fucked up...

Singling people out again..an Interference love.
I actually dont think any of the people we see here "complaining" as you put it are the "usuals" because most of them look like newbies to me.
Apart from ouizy hehe but I dont recall him ever being known as a complainer.
Why must we always make this stuff personal?

lazy..they prolly sound shinier cause its a new cd that doesnt have years of jam, dust and crap all over it :D

zooropamanda said:
lazy..they prolly sound shinier cause its a new cd that doesnt have years of jam, dust and crap all over it :D

:lmao: Yeah, that's it! :up:

Also, I think it's because these are reworkings of songs we've been listening to for years...so maybe just for that reason alone they're going to sound "shinier."

:shrug: I have no idea, really. What we'd have to do, I guess, is find someone who's never heard any version of a song (like Gone, for example), play them both, and see what they think!

Here is how I reacted to the new Best Of once I had it in my greedy hands:

Electrical Storm (Orbit Mix) - I love this one a lot more than I did a month a go! Last month it was a 6 at best. Now it is on par with the band version, an 8. I think the placement of it on the disc helps too.

Miss Sarajevo - Too bad they couldn't find a way to include the Passengers version. For a gentle and peaceful beat, it sure feels like it comes to an abrupt end. Still retains the beauty of the original even though you can't deny the hack job.

New Gone - Something tells me that if Alvin and the Squirrels (whatever) remixed this song, I'd still love it.

The Hands that Built America - Great lyrics, beautiful intro, generic soundtrack beat. But hey, it is new U2! Not bad, just not a stand out.

New Numb - Confession time. I never really liked this song when it first came out and I certainly was not looking forward to it this time around. Wow! What a song! This has to be the biggest suprise on the disc. I love it! Gimme some more of that stuff! ;)

New Discotheque - I was never a big fan of it on the Pop album, but I was curious how this one would turn out. Not bad at all. Takes the best of the original, the guitar riff, and makes it the central sound on the new mix. More to my liking, but I can see others cringing to this.

New SATS - I think it is quite obvious that the original is much better. This one sounds rather dry and lost. I have yet to see a comment on the net that says how great this one is.

The B-Sides - Another Numb, another Better Than the Real Thing, another Mysterious Ways, and another Discotheque. No room for some real B-side gems like Satellite of Love, Paint it Black, Holy Joe, and Where Did It All Go Wrong. Am I the only one confused by all the double doses? This is my only gripe about this Best Of. The B-Sides leave a lot in the dark for the casual fan. The 80's B-sides were better represented.

The bonus DVD - as a great person once said, "this alone is worth the price." Very true.

There you have it. I said a lot of good things, so don't focus on the bad and flame my ass! ;)

Last edited:
I feel a lot of people here would have been happier if U2 had just thrown Achtung Baby and POP on one disk and called it "the best of"

personally I think none of the a-side mixes are that bad (I prefer quite a few of them to the original)
the 2 seconds in Mysterious Ways with the changed lyrics really don't make that much of a difference to me
I don't see why they didn't put the album version of Miss Serajevo on there
I already know I'll listen to this best of more than I listened to 80's best of (even though I prefer most of the songs on that one)

and since this forum is so big on people being allowed to express their own opinion I want to express my opinion that I feel a lot of the people moaning about this best of are whiners

Back
Top Bottom