MERGED-->THE perfect HTDAAB running order!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I've done it! THE perfect HTDAAB running order!

I've been working at this for weeks, trying to get all 12 album tracks(I consider Fast Cars an album track) in the perfect order, and I've always found myself having a great order but only 11 out of 12 or something like that...but I finally have it !

Using only album tracks(i.e. No Mercy - I love it but it's not an album track):

1.Vertigo
2.All Because Of You
3.City Of Blinding Lights
4.Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
5.A Man And A Woman
6.Fast Cars
7.Crumbs From Table
8.Miracle Drug
9.Original Of The Species
10.Yahweh
11.Love And Peace Or Else
12.One Step Closer

AMAAW->Fast Cars->Crumbs :drool:
Yahweh->LAPOE->One Step Closer :drool:

Listen before judging!

Lancemc said:

I agree. I tried it once coming after AMAAW. It just doesn't work. :no:

I disagree. It works beautifully.

"How can I hurt when I holding you..." --> "(yell at the beginning of FC)" :drool:

Last edited:
There's just something about the two very acoustic songs back to back that doesn't feel right.

Lancemc said:
There's just something about the two very acoustic songs back to back that doesn't feel right.

That's what makes them mesh so well together well...having them like that gives the record a more varied feeling to it...a little exotic, a little ethnic, instead of just the rock-by-numbers stuff.

I see what you're saying. When it gets down to things this specific it's all just personal taste really.

i'm through the first 4 tracks, and i think it's great so far. the middle of the album will be the real test.

i'm through "Crumbs" now. i actually really like this so far. my only complaint with HTDAAB, actually, is the tracklisting.

just because i'm stubborn, i put Mercy as the last tune.

Listening to A Man.. Woman right now in the suggested order. Sounds great so far, maybe even better than the actual one. I can't fit Fast Cars in though because I only have the very annoying looped version. :mad:

unnamed_streets said:
Listening to A Man.. Woman right now in the suggested order. Sounds great so far, maybe even better than the actual one. I can't fit Fast Cars in though because I only have the very annoying looped version. :mad:

Would like the real one?

All Because Of You is really loud and on the album, I think it sounds out of place sandwiched between the keyboard sounds of City and the acoustic Man/Woman. But here it's perfect after Vertigo. The opening guitar note is not as much of a shock. I think that is the reason I sometimes end up skipping this song on the album... cos it's out of place.

Nice try, but I personally don't really care for the playlist after I listened to it for a few reasons:

--No fault of the playlist, but "Fast Cars" just doesn't fit anywhere.

--Yahweh just seems weird not being the closer, and I like the fact that U2 decided to end this album with some joy instead of leaving us depressed at the end (I see the album as moving on from heartache and personal loss to a reaffirmation of faith, and I suspect U2 sees it the same way).

-- I'm not liking the COBL>Sometimes>AMAAW combo. Subject matter wise and "feel" it's too disjointed for my liking, I don't see a story being told with that trio. Switching it to Sometimes>COBL>AMAAW would make more sense to me.

The one huge improvement I see in your setlist, though, is having LAPOE near the end. The original Sometimes>LAPOE>COBL has never really worked for me.

A more interesting tracklisting, imo, would be a "perfect" tracklisting without Vertigo as the opener. The opener should set the stage for the whole album, and I don't think it does (although I love the song), I think COBL does that job a bit better. But then again, the countdown(up) at the beginning of Vertigo might not work anywhere else.

Last edited:
ImOuttaControl said:
Nice try, but I personally don't really care for the playlist after I listened to it for a few reasons:

--No fault of the playlist, but "Fast Cars" just doesn't fit anywhere.

--Yahweh just seems weird not being the closer, and I like the fact that U2 decided to end this album with some joy instead of leaving us depressed at the end (I see the album as moving on from heartache and personal loss to a reaffirmation of faith, and I suspect U2 sees it the same way).

-- I'm not liking the COBL>Sometimes>AMAAW combo. Subject matter wise and "feel" it's too disjointed for my liking, I don't see a story being told with that trio. Switching it to Sometimes>COBL>AMAAW would make more sense to me.

The one huge improvement I see in your setlist, though, is having LAPOE near the end. The original Sometimes>LAPOE>COBL has never really worked for me.

A more interesting tracklisting, imo, would be a "perfect" tracklisting without Vertigo as the opener. The opener should set the stage for the whole album, and I don't think it does (although I love the song), I think COBL does that job a bit better.

One by One

1.I don't know why people say this about Fast Cars. I just listened to my playlist all the way through and Fast Cars sounds VERY natural between AMAAW and Crumbs.

2.I like Yahweh but I have ALWAYS thought that One Step Closer was the ideal closer. I love the U2 tradition of ending records on a downer, not-so-in-your-face track, and OSC is gorgeous.

3.I like COBL>Sometimes>AMAAW because, forgetting the lyrics, musically they flow in and out of each other...COBL ends on an echoy reverby kind of sound and it flows nicely into the acoustic guitar that starts Somtimes. Somtimes ends on that repetative chimy acoustic guitar, which I think flows beautifully in the chimy acoustic guitar riffs that make the whole of AMAAW.

4.I'm glad you agree with that. I think LAPOE is possibly the best song on the record and it's so dark, it makes the rest of the record better because I know LAPOE is coming at the end.

5.I always start my HTDAAB playlists with Vertigo, for one reason, and that reason is that I feel that the 'uno, dos, tres, catorce' coming in between the end of any other song and the first guitar riff of Vertigo would be a distraction, and would ruin the flow. Honestly, NOTHING flows into 'uno, dos, tres, catorce', and 'uno, dos, tres, catorce' just seems to fit as a kickoff to the record.

I have thought about everything you have said, but I have just finished listening to my playlist and it was one of the most satisfying and enjoyable listens of HTDAAB I have ever experienced. This, in my eyes, is the perfect running order.

"Fast Cars" sounds great with the rest of the songs (instead of just tacked onto the end). You people are weird.

I don't think "One Step Closer" is a good closer, though. It builds up to nothing; on the original album, you get some release in the form of "Original of the Species," but as a closer, you just end with a bum note. I wish this weren't the case since "Yahweh" is such an awful closer, but I think we're stuck with it since nothing else from this period fits well in that spot (maybe "Mercy" since it's kind of epic).

"Miracle Drug" into "Original of the Species" is awesome. "Original" needs to be closer to the end of the record, though, because everything after isn't as good (so it feels like it drags a bit).

Last edited:
I agree:

Vertigo and ABOY should be together.
Miracle Drug and OOTS sound brilliant together in that order.
Love and Peace or Else sounds even better towards the end.

I disagree:

Yahweh is an excellent closer and I love this album's feel when it ends this way.
Fast Cars only fits on this album if it is before or after ABOY. Maybe track 2 or 3 on this specific list.
I can't place A Man and a Woman on my version of the Bomb. It sounds so much better with Mercy or Smile in its place.

Now for a real :huh: -

City of Blinding Lights
Miracle Drug
Sometimes...
Fast Cars
ABOY
Vertigo
Crumbs...
Love and Peace or Else
Mercy
One Step Closer
OOTS
Yahweh

This is a recent mix of mine.

Roland of Gilead said:

I disagree:

Yahweh is an excellent closer and I love this album's feel when it ends this way.
Fast Cars only fits on this album if it is before or after ABOY. Maybe track 2 or 3 on this specific list.
I can't place A Man and a Woman on my version of the Bomb. It sounds so much better with Mercy or Smile in its place.

I disagree with all of the above. I don't like the record ending on an uplifting song. I will always prefer the record ending on the downbeat OSC.

You and everyone else who has said that FC doesn't fit with the record are just....I can't say you're wrong because it's all opinion-based but I SO want to. It feels SO natural when coming right after AMAAW.

I love Mercy but I love AMAAW too. You can't just take one out.

Roland of Gilead said:

Now for a real :huh: -

City of Blinding Lights
Miracle Drug
Sometimes...
Fast Cars
ABOY
Vertigo
Crumbs...
Love and Peace or Else
Mercy
One Step Closer
OOTS
Yahweh

This is a recent mix of mine.

Firstly, I don't see how you can put Vertigo anywhere but #1, and the reason for that is that NOTHING flows well into 'uno, dos, tres, catorce'.

Secondly...you say MD->OOTS is brilliant yet you're not using it.

Thirdly, not a fan of starting things with COBL...It gives the record too much of a sugary feeling right off the bad.

Last edited:
Re: I've done it! THE perfect HTDAAB running order!

namkcuR said:
1.Vertigo
2.All Because Of You
3.City Of Blinding Lights
4.Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
5.A Man And A Woman
6.Fast Cars
7.Crumbs From Table
8.Miracle Drug
9.Original Of The Species
10.Yahweh
11.Love And Peace Or Else
12.One Step Closer

Hard to mix the songs, I tried this:

Vertigo
Alll because of you (to kick things off lively)
Miracle Drug (still lots of guitar, yet some keyboards and somewhat less tempo to ease the transition)
Sometimes
City of blinding lights
Original of the species
A man and a woman (the pop duo)
Crumbs (and back for some more guitar songs)
Love and peace (U2 always has a rocker in the back of the album)
One step closer
Yahweh

:p I don't have the 12 song version of "Bomb" so just forget about Fast cars

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom