MERGED-->The New Updated Lyrics? + lyrics reaction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it just me, but I totally see a spiritual / bibical component to this song. We all see things through our own prism, so this may show more about me than it does Bono. But follow me for a second.

And though your soul it can't be bought, you might be wonder (Jesus was tempted as a man, although he is God)

I'm at a place called Vertigo (Stranger in a Strange Land)
It's everything I wished I didn't know (Fallen World)
Except that you give me something I can feel. Feel. (Holy Spirit)

What really got me thinking about it was the folowing lines: (It sounds like Satan talking to Jesus, trying to tempt him into disobeying God, by promising that he will rule Earth, and won't have to go to the Cross)

All this, all this can be yours
All of this, all of this can be yours
All this, all of this can be yours
Just give me what I want
And no one gets hurt

And then it closes with: (There are usually two reasons that Bono might be mention kneeling and one of them is in prayer)

I'm at a place called Vertigo
Lights go down and all I know
is that you give me something I can feel
you're teaching me ...aaahhh
your love is teaching me ...aaaah
How to kneel
Kneel

In conclusion, The Earth is a messed up place, and we're in the middle of this chaos, and all we have to hold onto is God.

But no matter what the lyrics mean to Bono, it's still a stellar danceable peace of Rock Candy that begs to be remixed. Can't wait until November 8th!

Miggy D said:
I think he counts uno, dos, tres, catorce because it goes along with the theme of 'Vertigo' or disorientation. He counts out of order because everything is f-d up.

I hope so, because it makes him look like an ass. Its like someone saying "one...two....three.....fourteen..." If he really wanted to make that point and really not look like he just f-ed up he could have said it in spanish "one...two...three....eleven" or something. Whatever, small detail.

starsforu2 said:
Is it just me, but I totally see a spiritual / bibical component to this song. We all see things through our own prism, so this may show more about me than it does Bono. But follow me for a second.

And though your soul it can't be bought, you might be wonder (Jesus was tempted as a man, although he is God)

What really got me thinking about it was the folowing lines: (It sounds like Satan talking to Jesus, trying to tempt him into disobeying God, by promising that he will rule Earth, and won't have to go to the Cross)

Just give me what I want
And no one gets hurt

And then it closes with: (There are usually two reasons that Bono might be mention kneeling and one of them is in prayer)

How to kneel
Kneel

In conclusion, The Earth is a messed up place, and we're in the middle of this chaos, and all we have to hold onto is God.

But no matter what the lyrics mean to Bono, it's still a stellar danceable peace of Rock Candy that begs to be remixed. Can't wait until November 8th!

Gotta love U2... allowing you to see the temptation of the devil, and I, the temptation of a woman.

Amen to that. It's seasonal, if it were April it would have thought it were about a woman. The Passion just came out on DVD so maybe that had something to do with it. *shrugs* Who knows?

I was 18 when Achtung Baby came out, and you couldn't convince me that any of the songs had a spiritual component.

The tension between the Spirit and the Flesh is only one of the reasons why I love U2!

Hola!

ok, u can add this to the misheard lyrics list (along with greats as shamoo the mysterious whale)...but I swear at the end, he sings "lets go down in Orlando"...and i'm not sure, even when I know the real lyrics, I'll be able to get that out of my mind

starsforu2 said:

Just give me what I want
And no one gets hurt

How to kneel
Kneel

Quality interpretation! I love the spirituality that permeates through U2's music.

one...two....three.....fourteen

To me this seemed like it had to mean SOMETHING so...
Genesis is the frist book of the bible right? (one)
Genesis chapter 2
Genesis chapter 2 verses 3-14
the second story of creation

just a thought

nurse chrissi said:

Genesis chapter 2

just a thought

Great idea....but it doesn't seem plausible. Remember, these guys have been at this for years, they don't have to do the obvious to illicit reactions, they have a carte blanche, they can do what they please. Maybe Bono was feeling a bit 'toasty' and snuck into the control room one night, fresh from kicking a garbage can, and threw that line in there.

nurse chrissi said:

Genesis chapter 2

just a thought

Hmm. Coincidence? I think not. Good spotting!

Great interpretations so far!

its the edge saying "turn it up Captain" at the start? Wonder if this is said to Bono re: his guitar playing!

Also, the line "the boys play rock n roll, they know that they cant dance, at least they know" - maybe self parody? Most U2 music is difficult to dance to!

Hmm...

Im hearing something else in the third chorus...

so far interpreted as:

"lights go down on all I know but you give me somethin..."

im hearing more syllables around the "I know" and I'm hearing an "is that you" rather than a "but you"

when I put it together...i get something like..

"lights go down on all I need, all i know is that you...give me somethin..."

mind you, Im listening to the version with the DJ

anyone else want to take a stab at it...im not positive im right about the exact words, but there certainly seems to be more syllables than "all I know" would produce..

??

EDITED TO SAY

DUH!!!!!!

pays to read the entire thread....lol

well my question above stands tho....i am hearing more than just 'all i know'..

anyone else?

i also thought i head B say

"check, baby" just before the "just fall" mumbling stuff...dont know what the third line in that is tho...

check, baby would go with the 'im asking for the check' maybe?

Last edited:
starsforu2 said:

Just give me what I want
And no one gets hurt

How to kneel
Kneel

I was thinking kinda the same thing! :yes: I love it!

starsforu2 said:
The tension between the Spirit and the Flesh is only one of the reasons why I love U2!
What an extraordinary observation!

(and your interpretation of the song was terrific as well)

Shake it...
Just for...
Jumping in... yeah

love how Bono sings these lines and it jumps into the edge solo. WOWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

starsforu2 said:

Just give me what I want
And no one gets hurt

How to kneel
Kneel

:hmm: Yeah, I think you may be right.

I tend to see the "carnal" meaning first, but yes, the "All of this can be yours" is a pretty clear reference to the Devil tempting Jesus.

achtung davy said:
i think its something to do with 1=boy 2=october 3=war 14=htdaab they are all produced by the same guy and have the same raw quality? what do u think?

Absolutely! I totally agree!! :hyper:

My take on the last chorus ...

Lights go down and all that I know
Is that you give me something
I can feel your love teaching me hoooow
Your love is teaching me hoooow
How to kneel, kneeeeeeel

well having just sung it a few times with the band, its definately not

lights go down on all i know

it doesnt work...feels awkward..

Even tho I think there is at least one more syllable and I dont here "that" I like your suggestion tho axver..it works rhythmically and makes sense :)

lights go down on all that I know..

will try that pronto! :)

The line is definitely not sung clearly, but when I insert 'that' and say it fast (more like "th't"), it works perfectly for me. It falls straight off the tongue. Also, I'm starting to have some doubts - is it 'lights go down ON all that I know' or 'lights go down AND all that I know'? I feel it is 'and' because it flows better with the next line and there seems to be a harder sound on the 'n'.

Last edited:
@u2.com has posted Vertigo lyrics in it's lyrics section:

"Vertigo"
Uno, dos, tres, catorce
Turn it up loud, captain

Lights go down
It's dark, the jungle is
Your head can't rule your heart
I'm feeling so much stronger
Than I thought
Your eyes are wide
And though your soul
It can't be bought
Your mind can wander

Hello, hello
Hola
Dond' esta
It's everything I wish I didn't know
Except you give me something I can feel
Feel

The night is full of holes
These bullets rip the sky
Of ink with gold
They twinkle
As the boys play rock and roll
They know that they can't dance
At least they know

I can sell the beats
I'm asking for the check
Girl with crimson nails
Has Jesus 'round the neck
Swinging to the music
Swinging to the music

Hello, hello
Hola
Dond' esta
It's everything I wish I didn't know
But you give me something I can feel
Feel

Shot dead
Shots fall
Show me, yeah

Just give me what I want
And no one gets hurt

Hello, hello
Hola
We’re at a place called Vertigo
Dond' esta
Is that you give me something
I can feel your love teaching me how
Your love is teaching me how
How to kneel
Kneel

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

I love this section, lyrically and musically. Bono sounds beautiful around this section and the backing vocals are killers.

Just give me what I want
And no one gets hurt

AussieU2fanman said:
This song is gonna rock the world! (It's not as though Vertigo has any competition anyway!)

TOTALLY. All the other music out at the moment drives me absolutlely insane. The voices are whiny, and the music has no soul!! The world has been starved of U2 for 2 long.

Axver said:
or 'lights go down AND all that I know'? I feel it is 'and' because it flows better with the next line and there seems to be a harder sound on the 'n'.

Submit that to U2exit Axver - I think youre closer than any other interpretations submitted thus far...I need to listen again tho - I gave my CD copy away last nite :S

I thought I heard like an 'e' sound in there thats why I thought of
lights go down all i need all i know...but im slightly hearing impaired too (seriously) and I dont hear some high frequencies properly so its good for me to hear opinions from others!

THanks yo!

Back
Top Bottom