MERGED-->the day we all dread...+ i hear ya

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

di_g

The Fly
the day we all dread...

i've been reading the post about guys who are gonna give up U2 till the new album comes out and it got me thinking about new songs and my biggest fear.

i get to a point every now and then (normally when i've had to wait 4 years for a new album) when i begin to crave new u2 music. i literally out listen all the normal stuff and my favourites and end up scavenging around albums i dont listen to that often for songs that aren't that familiar just to give me a fresh ear if that makes sense. i mean i get really really excited when theres new stuff coming out, its exhilerating and thrilling to hear it for the first time and i love the fact that some of my favourite songs are really recent ones too... new creations as it were. thats an exciting thing!

so the problem i pose now is what happens one day (and this day is sadly inevitable) when U2 stop making new music? :yikes:

thats it - no more new songs, no more new albums, new videos, NOTHING!!!
the part that scares me the most is that i will never again have the experience of listening to a U2 song for the first time!

that terrifies me:scream:

am i the only one...?

:silent:

I don't like to think about this.
Which is why I don't want to talk about it.

di_g, let me offer what has long been in my heart about this matter with all due respect to your feelings and the feelings of the other posters in this thread -
I KNOW that the opinions you express are shared by ALL of us who love and have followed U2 through the years.:yes:

But the truth is that one day, whether five years from now or fifty years from now, U2 (as a musical entity) will be no more. :ohmy:

All things must pass and I know that we don't want to think about it, but avoiding the inevitable does not make it go away.

I have grown up with U2 in my life - I became a U2 follower in 1981 and have NEVER left U2 or their music. U2 have so MAGNIFICENTLY mirrored the various changes and life stages of my own life - musically, politically and spiritually. :up:

So it is as hard for me as for anyone to ponder the inevitable. But I feel that if we TRULY LOVE AND RESPECT the members of U2 we will NOT try to force them to hold onto the group when it is obvious that they wish to move on.

We will thank them for ALL THE HOPE and LOVE that they have given us and wish them well in their future endeavors. :wink:

Remember the old saying: If you love something, set it free.

Our willingness to NOT hold onto them too tight is what will be the BEST GIFT we can give to U2 - the gift of UNCONDITIONAL LOVE and FREEDOM OF CHOICE. :angel:

Who knows? After a little while apart, they just might find that they are all that they can't leave behind and come back together!

But we have to let them be themselves, with or without U2. :hug:

It's best for everyone.:heart:

at least when that day comes we can listen to bootlegs of "U2's Last Show" over and over.

what a fuckin awesome show it would be, man! and '40' is a guarantee, so, well, i can't wait actually :| :ohmy: :sad: :drool:

if they stop making new music, you can go back to the old music you love. Their are hard core Elvis fans out there and just 'cause he is not making music anymore (for obvious reasons of course), those fans are still enjoying the old tunes. It would be a sad thing yes but U2 have made so much great music in the past that one can always go back, smile and remember.

It will be sad when U2 comes to an end...but there is so much other great music out there to explore. You never know what kind of love you will stumble upon. I never thought I could become so thrown into the music of anybody else the way I was into U2's...but then I discovered Ryan Adams. Doors can open unexpectedly.

i would like to expect work from u2 that was never released to come out over time. i just cant imagine that the total package of their career's work will be from their major releases. of course theres lots of material floating around on the web that anyone can find, but u2 is a business, and theres always some amount of work/info thats never released. but i look forward to unreleased albums, or at the very least totally completed songs that never made the cut, for some reason or another. just think- ten, twenty years down the road, the chris thomas album is finally released, kinda like 'let it be naked' from last year. that helps me breathe a little easier. :wink:

I agree with Mofo, when they call it a day, this will only mean more unreleased stuff and live albums/dvd's. U2 have a whole concert archive that is gathering dust and needs to be taken advantage of.

Edge has already said they have enough for a box set of good material that didnt make their albums over the years for various reasons. He confirmed that when they are done this material would be released. The other thing to note is U2 has archived all of their live performances since 1982. So there is plenty of live material they could pull that hasn't been released before as well.

Bono commented on the end before as well. He basically said that as long as they were healthy and what they were producing was good they would continue to make music for the forseeable future. What will come to an end eventually is the massive world tours or playing live period. That will be a sad day that I dont think is all that far off unfortunately (I would say 10 to 15 years max). But I think we will be getting new material for quite some time.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable this will be U2's last tour and album rumors that have been croping up with every single release and/or tour since 1990.

I think U2 has 2 more major tours in them (including the upcoming one). Then I think they will do a few small tours after that and then retire from the road period. Then again I think they enjoy playing live so much they could go on like the Stones and just continue until they can't physically do it any longer. I know alot of you think that would be bad but I have seen the Stones on their last 3 tours and they still have it live. New material wise they are lacking however. But imagine if U2 could still make relevent new material AND still have it live like the Stones do. I see no reason for them not to continue to do what they are doing if that is the case.

Last edited:
From what I've heard and read about U2, they enjoy doing what they do very, very much. That's why I don't think that, as long as they are able, they would just quit making music cold turkey, just because they feel they've had enough. They are so passionate about the music and especially about their friendships! That's what sets them apart from every other band that is or ever has been in existence; that's why they're still here when all others have fallen away. Even if they DID "retire," it wouldn't last long (Can you imagine them actually sitting still? I sure can't!).

Didn't bono say he didnt want to be doing this when he was 50, I could have sworn I read that somewhere. So with the period of time it takes to make a new album for them, I'd say after this new release we have one more album and tour in store for us.

i hear ya

It will indeed be kinda lousy when there are no more new tunes, but hey, I've been listening to the beatles' Revolver for the past two weeks and it sounds as fresh as ever, so hopefullly U2 will have such an extensive catalogue by the end that you can put some stuff away for a while.

BY the way, does anyone wish they would just crank out a massive amount of songs instead of trying to make everything perfect all the time? The Clash had like threee great albums, but Sandinista (double album) kicks a#s.

SOmetimes I wish they'd just go int he studio and jam for like two weeks and come out with 10 songs.

RademR said:
Didn't bono say he didnt want to be doing this when he was 50, I could have sworn I read that somewhere. So with the period of time it takes to make a new album for them, I'd say after this new release we have one more album and tour in store for us.

He said 60, not 50. Don't scare people like that, fer cryin' out loud! :faint:

When did he say that? As he gets older he'll change his mind. Pete Townshend used to say he hoped he died before he got old!

I find that when you don't burn yourself out on their CDs for months, they sound so good and fresh on the radio when they catch you by surprise, and it makes you like them all over again:)

i think he said something along the lines of how he didnt like the idea of being 60 on stage and turning around to look at larry sitting behind the drums still looking 14
:)
i dont think it was any particular reference to how long they wanted to keep playing, he was just taking the mickey out of larry for his (gorgeous) baby face :larry:

I know how you feel, and you're not the only one, I'm not worried about U2 for now because they certainly have a few albums at least left in them, I'm worried about my fave band Iron Maiden not making anymore music :(
If you feel like you're overplaying U2 then I suggest taking a short break, like not listening to them for a few weeks and listen to something else, its hard but believe me it works!
All the best xxxxx

di_g said:
i think he said something along the lines of how he didnt like the idea of being 60 on stage and turning around to look at larry sitting behind the drums still looking 14
:)
i dont think it was any particular reference to how long they wanted to keep playing, he was just taking the mickey out of larry for his (gorgeous) baby face :larry:

indeed:love:

Back
Top Bottom