MERGED ----> Special Olympics + U2 rules + After watching... + The Black Strat...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't get the link to work either. One thing on the website I thought was funny though...

"The cream of Irish talent - Bono, U2, The Corrs, Samantha Mumba, Ronan Tynan - will perform alongside a host of international sport..."

Interesting that they split up Bono and U2.

U2 are not on yet!

The other acts have performed (including The Corrs) and U2 will most likely close after an introduction from Nelson Mandela (my prediction).

My prediction for the setlist is: Beautiful Day, One and Pride (I was thinking Streets too but I doubt they'd have the time)

Let's see if I'm right!

I got the link to work. It's over 3 hours. U2 is about about 3 1/2 hours into it. I got half way through One and it's stopped but I'm trying to get it back up again.

:ohmy: it's back up. :D

Yup, they played One and Pride.

One was a great with orchestrational accompanyment while Pride featured modified lyrics and a huge tribute to Nelson Mandela at the end.

The closing of the ceremony was really spectacular!

Well I enjoyed that very much. Thanks to whoever posted the link!

There's a weekly show called Out of Ireland on pbs and it's the highlights of the past week's events from RTE news. Hopefully either on tonite's edition or next weekend's edition they will show some clips of U2's performance. :D

arw9797 said:
Well I enjoyed that very much. Thanks to whoever posted the link!

There's a weekly show called Out of Ireland on pbs and it's the highlights of the past week's events from RTE news. Hopefully either on tonite's edition or next weekend's edition they will show some clips of U2's performance. :D

Cool, I love Out of Ireland! I'll have to remember to catch it.

After watching the Special Olympics performance...

I realized why U2 have been playing Pride during every tour since UF. It's a classic, especially live. The beginning riff with the crowd jumping, Edge's guitar solo, Bono & the crowd singing "oh oh oh." Along with Streets I think this should be a staple for their live shows. I know people before said that they should drop Pride, but I personally love it live. Especially after watching today from the Special Olympics. Anyone agree/disagree??? Can't wait to see U2 next year

The Black Strat Is Back!!!

Did my eyes deceive me, or was Edge playing is 'old' black Fender Stratocaster during Pride tonight!!! U2 fans haven't seen that since 1987 I believe!!! Nothing sounds better than Edge ripping off the opening of Pride on the black Strat!!! I hope he is putting that guitar to good use on the new album!!! Yeah!!!:lol:

Great performance by U2! We?ve seen an orchestra version of One with Bono / The Edge / Brian Eno (War Child Bosnia) ? with Bono / Zucchero (Net Aid) ? with Bono / Daniel Lanois (Millennium New Year?s Eve) ? with Bono / Zucchero? / female backing singers (War Child Iraq) ? and now with all of U2 (Special Olympics Dublin). What is everybody?s favourite?

Pride performed live usually features a snippet of MLK?s ?I Have Been To The Mountain Top? speech. So to have Bono bring out Nelson Mandela was quite special. And with the Mandela SOS Concert for the AIDS Emergency in Africa rescheduled the day before for November 30th we have another powerful moment to look forward to

Re: The Black Strat Is Back!!!

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Did my eyes deceive me, or was Edge playing is 'old' black Fender Stratocaster during Pride tonight!!! U2 fans haven't seen that since 1987 I believe!!! Nothing sounds better than Edge ripping off the opening of Pride on the black Strat!!! I hope he is putting that guitar to good use on the new album!!! Yeah!!!:lol:

Yay for the black Strat! :edge: :yes: :up:

Re: Re: The Black Strat Is Back!!!

I believe it's a new guitar actually ...new to edge anyways I think the original was donated to the ahrd rock cafe.The story however doesn't seem to be clear on where the guitar ended up after all this.

I've noticed he's got a lot of new guitars lately. The gold les paul with creme pickups, the blue fender jaguar in teh E storm video. And in fact the gibson acoustic he was using on the performances of "hands" is different from the taylor acoustics he used on the elevation tour. I'm not sure if that gibson acoustic is new because I believe I see him with the same on in the "sweetest thing" video in either case he pulled it out of the closet.
this is the story of that guitar from u2sound.com
Fender Stratocaster 1979, serial #s 916792, black, black pick guard (see picture above), this has been Edge's main Stratocaster for many many years and tours. Later, this guitar has been modified a lot: the original nut was replaced by one made in graphite, brass saddles were mounted as well as a DiMarzio FS-1 as bridge PU. Also this pickup has something special: Edge mentioned that half of the windings were removed because the sound was too shrill. Some magazines reported that the guitar was also equipped with Seymour Duncan Quarter pound pickups.
Autographed twice by Bono. What is special about the guitar is the story behind it. Sometime during the late 1980's, The Edge was asked to autograph a guitar to be presented to The Hard Rock Caf?. The Edge agreed to do so. One day, in 1988, New York, The Edge decided to go to The Hard Rock Caf?. He went to the front along with Bono and a guitar. There was a long line and a doorman. The doorman told The Edge he would have to stand in line with everyone else. Edge replied," I'm The Edge. I'd like to get in." The doorman stood his ground. "You'll stand in line like everybody else," he said. Rebuked, The Edge started to leave the caf?. Bono grabbed the guitar and said, " I'll sign it." He did so on the spot, with a red felt pen, and the autograph, now dimmed by time, reads "Bono, 88". When the guitar was presented to the Hard Rock Caf?, the caf?'s representative declined it on the ground that it was not signed by the Edge! Black body shows scratches on back of the guitar from the Edge's belt buckle. In 1993 the guitar was again presented to Bono to resign and he laughed when he was reminded of the story. Bono resigned the guitar; again the Edge still pissed off refused to sign. Valued at $12.000,00. I personally think, that this is a rip-off! You can see the guitar, f.e. "Where the streets have no name" video.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: The Black Strat Is Back!!!

Arun V said:
I believe it's a new guitar actually ...new to edge anyways I think the original was donated to the ahrd rock cafe.The story however doesn't seem to be clear on where the guitar ended up after all this.

I've noticed he's got a lot of new guitars lately. The gold les paul with creme pickups, the blue fender jaguar in teh E storm video. And in fact the gibson acoustic he was using on the performances of "hands" is different from the taylor acoustics he used on the elevation tour. I'm not sure if that gibson acoustic is new because I believe I see him with the same on in the "sweetest thing" video in either case he pulled it out of the closet.
this is the story of that guitar from u2sound.com

Didn't he also have a new redish Les Paul for his appearance with Danny Lanois? It looked new to me anyway...

:wave:

~J

Back
Top Bottom