MERGED-->Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own Single Details

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dima said:
i don't want Mercy as a b-side...i want a finished version of it in an official album (releasing it now as a b-side means burning the good ideas it contains while with just a little rework this good song could be turned into a real masterpiece)

Amen to that! Mercy could inspire a whole album as far as I'm concerned. I know Bono says it's the best b-side you've ever heard, but I think it's the best a-side I haven't heard. Mercy is amazing, it's way too damn good to be a b-side.

So is this single only going to be in the UK? Of course they usually import singles here from the UK so I guess it doesn't matter... Trent remixing Vertigo should be pretty awesome, the other remixes I'm not too excited about...I don't get that excited about singles anyway, stores hardly even carry them anymore...I haven't been able to find the Vertigo single in any store. I might have to order it off the 'net at some point, just to have it.

beau2ifulday said:

there are that many remixes of Elevation and BD?
Ok, so much for me thinking I had them all.

Unfortunately, yes :yawn:

Beautiful Day:
Album Version (4:06)
David Holmes Remix (5:33)
Paul Oakenfold 2004 Remix (6:54)
Perfecto Mix (7:48)
Perfecto Dub (6:48)
Quincey and Sonance Mix (7:55)
Quincey and Sonance Radio Edit (3:56)

Elevation:
Album Version (3:47)
Tomb Raider (Single) Mix (3:39)
Biffco Mix (4:21)
Escalation Mix (7:07)
Influx Remix (4:04)
Paul Van Dyk Mix (7:59)
Paul Van Dyk Non Vox Mix (6:30)
Paul Van Dyk Radio Edit (4:03)
Quincey and Sonance Mix (6:54)
Vandit Club Mix (8:54)

and then we have the officially released live versions (Farmclub etc). Talk about overkill huh?

I want Trent to remix LAPOE!!!!! make it grindy and even dirtier!!!
Maybe give it a beat or more hum!!!
I'd also love for Massive Attack to take a stab at it.
Why keep remixing the same song?! I hate that!!
We have a billion Discotheque remixes and a million BD remixes. We get it!
Move on to a new song!!
Rumor has it Trent did 4 tracks so lets see what else we get.
Plus ABOY could have some different things who knows.
William Orbit could make a great remix of COBL.
Not all remixes have to suck you know. Peter Gabriel and Bjork have had some great things done to thier songs in the past.
We'll see.

I don't know which is worse, remix after remix after remix or the fact that Trent Reznor is actually doing one of those remixes. I can't stand that guy.

When they put out Always, Summer rain and Big girls are best and acoustic Stuck on ATYCLB singles, I thought "ahh, no more remixes."
And when Are you gonna wait forever came out, I thought "I was right, we ARE getting more B-sides".

:huh:

I wonder what Fast cars will sound like, I don't care much for Vertigo remixed for the x-th time.

Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own Single Details

For those who want to know

CD1

1. Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own - radio edit
2. Vertigo - Redanka Power Mix

CD2

1. Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own - radio edit
2. Ave Maria - Jacknife Lee Mix
3. Fast Cars - Jacknife Lee Mix

DVD single

1. Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own - live at Hanover Quay, 16 Nov., 2004
2. Vertigo - video
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own - audio
4. Vertigo - Trent Reznor Remix - audio

Looking forward to hearing these remixes especially the Trent Reznor remix.

What's so bad about it? Too many overly-negative people around here lately. Is this really something to get pissed off about?

Any news on the ABOY single yet?

I'm just upset because there aren't any actual U2 b-sides, you know? I mean, I have NOTHING against hearing some new remixes or "Ave Maria" or anything like that--I really don't! In fact, I am pretty excited to hear Reznor's take on "Vertigo;" it could be interesting, if nothing else. That will be fun to listen to.

It upsets me to NO end, though, that there's nothing else on there. Additionally, I'm frustrated that there are THREE versions of this single, again... I thought that there was some pretty nice material on the "Vertigo" singles, but I sure as shit wasn't able to afford all three of 'em. At least there was ONE new song on those singles--nothing, here. I just don't dig on that....not my scene.

Weren't there like 25 songs finished for this album....? Where the fuck ARE they? Obviously they can't all show up if the band wants to deal with them in the future....but throw us a bone, man. SOMETHING!

Could be worse......................

CD1

1. Sometimes you can't make it on your own (radio edit)
2. Vertigo Jacknife lee 3 inch remix
3. Vertigo Jacknife lee 6 inch remix
4. Vertigo Jacknife lee 9 inch remix

Cd 2 (Limited edition to 1.5 million copies)

3. Vertigo - Redanka Power Mix (Instrumental)
4. Vertigo- Close to the edge mix
5. Vertigo - Another boring remix
6. Vertigo- amazing how we can keep churning these out remix.
7.Vertigo - Another boring remix (instrumental)

DVD

1. Sometimes you can't make it on oyur own (Recorded live at HQ 16/11/2004
2. Sometimes you can't make it on oyur own (Recorded live at HQ 17/11/2004
3. Sometimes you can't make it on oyur own (Recorded live at HQ 18/11/2004
4. Vertigo- Some left over grainy footage.
5. Zadok the Priest- Jacknife lee remix
6. Some Photos we found and forgot to process

brownda7 said:
Could be worse......................

CD1

2. Vertigo Jacknife lee 3 inch remix
3. Vertigo Jacknife lee 6 inch remix
4. Vertigo Jacknife lee 9 inch remix

Cd 2 (Limited edition to 1.5 million copies)

3. Vertigo - Redanka Power Mix (Instrumental)
4. Vertigo- Close to the edge mix
5. Vertigo - Another boring remix
6. Vertigo- amazing how we can keep churning these out remix.
7.Vertigo - Another boring remix (instrumental)

DVD

1. Sometimes you can't make it on oyur own (Recorded live at HQ 16/11/2004
2. Sometimes you can't make it on oyur own (Recorded live at HQ 17/11/2004
3. Sometimes you can't make it on oyur own (Recorded live at HQ 18/11/2004
4. Vertigo- Some left over grainy footage.
5. Zadok the Priest- Jacknife lee remix
6. Some Photos we found and forgot to process

:laugh:

I wish U2 would do away with remixes entirely. Some are good, I admit, but I couldn't care less about the majority of them. But if they want to keep churning them out, then so be it. Personally, I'd rather hear a developmental song like Xanax and Wine over a remix.

Eh. But I guess I'll buy CD2 anyway...it looks like the most interesting one to me. Maybe the DVD version as well.

They dont want to put material out that they might rework for the next album either. To put a song on a single as a bside means that it cant be used again which for some tracks for U2 would probably be a mistake. I dont like the majority of remixes but maybe some of these ones are good maybe they arent no matter what though im sure the song itself will be a big hit whether the single sells or not.

I don't get it. They are doing a DVD single for the SYCMIOYO and not putting the official video shot at the Gaiety theater on it?? But they are putting the official video for Vertigo on it? Maybe they are afraid the theater video won't get done in time. That's the only logical explanation I can think of.

I like the idea of having the Bono-Pavorotti version of Ave Maria as a b-side because I've never heard it to begin with. I could never find it anywhere on the Web. I do wonder what a Jacknife Lee remix of it would sound like though. I hope it doesn't ruin it. :huh:

Last edited:
The reason we're not seeing any B-sides is because of what Bono and co. said in their recent interview - they're saving the material for the album due out (supposedly) in 2006. That's probably why we won't see Mercy (thank God!) I hope they DON'T release Mercy as a b-side, rework it a bit (cut it down, give it a climax), and release it as THE BEST SONG U2 HAS EVER MADE.

-Miggster

I want Levitate or some other weapon of choice that is'nt being bombed around the globe already!

Maybe some live songs THAT ARE NOT FROM DVD'S OR OTHER BROADCAST CONCERTS.....

Some kickass stuff like The Fly, Discotheque or Even Better from the Elevation tour would be TOTALLY IDEAL for the ABOY single!!

I usually don't complain about this kind of stuff but in this case I feel I must...

This is an absolute disgrace. Once again, they release THREE singles for the one song (following ES and Vertigo). The record company do this because they know that the big U2 fans feel they HAVE to own everything U2 ever officially released and will therfore buy the same song three times, which they already had in the album anyway. And what extras are you given? Remixes! I hate remixes with a passion. I never, ever listen to them. With all the extra material from the HTDAAB sessions floating around, they could easily have put on one or two b-sides that would have been infinitely better than ten remixes. And the "live performance"? Undoubtedly the mimed performance from in studio that we've already gotten from the album DVD anyway!

I splashed out on the ES and Vertigo singles but I'm not going to do so for SYCMIOYO. Depending on my mood, I'll get at most one of the singles and that's it. I've never been so angry at the U2 record company or whoever is responsible for this. They are exploiting the loyal U2 fanbase, who've already given them millions of dollars. If the band cared enough, you think they would intervene in this disgrace.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom