MERGED --> "Sometimes You Can't Make It" is the Standout Track + Sometimes you cant..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LyricalDrug

Rock n' Roll Doggie
"Sometimes You Can't Make It" is the Standout Track

Does anyone else think that "Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own" may supplant "One" as U2's best song? This track absolutely blows me away. The falsetto harmonies ("It's you when I look in the mirror/It's you when I don't pick up the phone") are as perfect as anything the band has done! "Miracle Drug" and "Original of the Species" are also mega-hits, but I think "Sometimes" is light years ahead of everything else.

I can understand why it wasn't the first single, but thank god it's the second one. I think this will be the centerpiece of the tour.

My all-time favorite U2 vocal is on this song--it's when Bono, who as we know is singing to his father, asks, "Can you hear me when I sing?/ You're the reason the opera is in me." Talk about asking a huge, huge question in a song: can Bono's dad still hear him sing? Wow...

Having not heard this song, I'm slightly disturbed by a few people comparing it to 'Stuck..' please reassure me;)

SYCMIOYO is a pretty good track, but it doesn't really stand out to me ... COBL's the one that leaps up and down and draws my attention.

It's nothing like "Stuck in a Moment," which was a great song, but "Sometimes" is so much better. The only similarities are the long titles, the second slot on the albums, and they're both ballads.

I can't wait to hear "Sometimes" go through the roof on tour. I just *know* this is the song where Bono will be adding extra verses at the climax, Edge will solo like crazy, etc.

Although I'm a huge "streets" fan, and have always thought that was U2's best, SYCMIOYO is growing on me with every listen and right now its probably my favorite...it is simply incredible

Sometimes you cant.........

im i the only one who thinks that :bow:Bono sounds like one of the boys outta the BeeGees,when he sings,"Its you when i look in the mirror........."?

Last edited:
One still holds its crown. I don't see any of these songs becoming an all-time top 10. It's an excellent album, but the one thing it can't do is surprise you ... what with U2 being around for 25 years. Their best songs ALWAYS surprised you on first listen.

I know what you mean teebee, but I was pretty stunned by these songs, too. Since my U2 mania began, I've "unwrapped" all the U2 records after Achtung Baby, and none of them impressed me like this one did. This album is neck-and-neck with Joshua Tree and Achtung, and in so many ways it's superior to those two.

Bono's singing is amazing. He breaks out with so many cool new moves on this album: tricky new rhyme schemes (Yahweh), sharing words between lines ("...space and TIME/will ...") and spoken word stuff ("still red from the prick of an old rose") that he hasn't done before. The vocal harmonizing that Bono and Edge have been tinkering with since "Pop" has finally crystallized too.

And Edge has dreamt up some crazy, crazy sounds of course.

"My all-time favorite U2 vocal is on this song--it's when Bono, who as we know is singing to his father, asks, "Can you hear me when I sing?/ You're the reason the opera is in me." Talk about asking a huge, huge question in a song: can Bono's dad still hear him sing? Wow..."

this is also my absolute favorite moment on the album.

purpleblackeye said:
"My all-time favorite U2 vocal is on this song--it's when Bono, who as we know is singing to his father, asks, "Can you hear me when I sing?/ You're the reason the opera is in me." Talk about asking a huge, huge question in a song: can Bono's dad still hear him sing? Wow..."

this is also my absolute favorite moment on the album.

As of right now it's my favorite moment on the album too. And yes, the comparisons to One are justified. There is a certain type of fan for whom nothing will ever match the "golden oldies" regardless of how good it is.
These are the type of fans who will poo-poo BD, Please, Gone, MD, Sometimes, COBL etc, etc. You know, anything released after 1993 or so.

If Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own was on Joshua Tree we'd all be saying that nothing on Atomic Bomb could ever approach the genius of that track.

I think it's definitely a stand-out track. It's the most emotional song with stunning melodies. My favourite moment is when Bono sings "Listen to me now..." and at the same time we hear great guitar sounds.
In my opinion it is the best and the most memorable track on the album but Original Of the Species is more commercial. Both songs have great melodies, are very catchy and should be singles. However "One" is still number one in terms of emotions a song can evoke.
As for COBL I don't agree with people excited about it. It seems to be very promising song at the first listening but then you realize that it has great form, some captivating sounds but it lacks content. The interesting intro goes to nowhere.

One is overrated and overplayed

Sometimes is just brilliant, beautiful, touching, etc.

so, I prefer Sometimes

when i first heard this song, i was disappointed.... then after a few listens, i started really getting into it. now after the 50th time listening, I get goosebumps everytime. its an amazing song, and probably my new favorite on the album. as for the comparisons to One, theyre warrented. of course, nothing can touch One in my opinion (favorite song ever), but SYCMIOYO is absolutely amazing in its own right.

It's a great song, no doubt. I don't think the lyrics are quite as good, since the simple-yet-brilliant, all-encompassing message of One is not really comparable to anything on this album. However I prefer Miracle Drug as the best song on this album(I must be a sucker for The Edge's solos). Bee Gee's homage? I can see that, since when I played a few songs for my dad he said he heard The Beatles and The Rolling Stones influences.

No song on this album will EVER supplant 'One', or any other U2 staple (i.e. WOWY, WTSHNN,Pride etc.) for that matter.

Very true! However, with this incredible album, there are NEW potential staples amidst us - which, to me, are more exciting and diverse than some of the older staples.

- Nicholas

zoou2@hotmail.com

Back
Top Bottom