MERGED --> "Sometimes..." at Grammy's??? + Sometimes: too synth heavy on the Grammies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Vest

Refugee
"Sometimes..." at Grammy's???

Will U2 perform SYCMIOYO at the Grammy's on Sunday night???
Or is this just a rumour????
I sure hope so - it's such a better song than Vertigo or All Because of You. What do you think?

Don't they usually play the song they're nominated for? What sense would it make to be nominated 3 times for Vertigo and play a different song?
My guess is this is a rumor. Sometimes will surely be nominated for grammys next year, and if it is that's when they'll play it.

Ok, I just read the blurb on the front page about it. This DJ is from KRQQ, and given that, I'm inclined to believe this. KRQQ has had an ongoing relationship with U2 over the years and whenever KRQQ has info about anything U2, is usually accurate. Although it does seem odd that they wouldn't play Vertigo, the song for which they're nominated.

Maybe they'll be able to play 2 songs? I can't believe they wouldn't play Vertigo, but who knows, maybe something unprecented will happen and they'll actually play Sometimes too.

Here's to wishing.

Less than 48 hours to go.:hyper: .:hyper:

won't they open the whole Grammy's with Vertigo? If I was producing the Grammy's I would want to get them all reved up, and I'd put on the greatest band of all time doing Vertigo. Maybe they do 2 songs.

They're nominated for Vertigo -- it would make more sense if they performed that song... but it could be a 2 song performance.

No they arent opening the Grammys that much is known there is a bunch of duets opening the show.

If they want to kick off SYCMIOYO as a single in the US - as ABOY is essentially failing - then they'll play it at the Grammy's.

the rockin edge said:
hmmm:hmm: I wonder if Bono will say anything um "explicit":shifty:

I'm remembering "This is :censored: brilliant" a few years ago:macdevil:

Well, even if he did, you wouldn't hear it. They've put all that stuff on a timed-delay.

Anyway, I don't think they will play SYCMIOYO. I would rather that then Vertigo or ABOY, but I think it's highly unlikely.

LyricalDrug said:
"Sometimes" is the best song on the album, and U2 knows it. They'd be foolish not to play it, given how everyone already knows 'Vertigo', and how amazing Sometimes is live.

Not the best song, but a great song, U2 is going to play Yahweh, you heard it first from me.

I think in the end its all speculation and they play Vertigo.

I havent seen anybody in the past not play something they arent nominated for.

well the last time they performed at the Grammys they opened the show with Walk On (talk about irony!) when the tradition at the Grammys is that Song of the Year nominees perform the track they are nominated for. So U2 should have played Stuck in a moment you can't get out of.......

so i guess it isn't unreasonable to think U2 will perform SYCMIOYO at the show... i would be shocked if they performed 2 songs though

D'oh! said:
well the last time they performed at the Grammys they opened the show with Walk On (talk about irony!) when the tradition at the Grammys is that Song of the Year nominees perform the track they are nominated for. So U2 should have played Stuck in a moment you can't get out of.......

so i guess it isn't unreasonable to think U2 will perform SYCMIOYO at the show... i would be shocked if they performed 2 songs though

Walk On was nominated for record of the year and won that. So it was fitting for them to play it.

Cheers,

J

If U2 play Sometimes, it would be one of the biggest blunders in Grammy and U2 history.

That should be for next year's Grammy already so that the song will win song of the year and record of the year. If they play it this year, when the song isn't nominated or the album isn't qualified yet:

1. Grammy execs will think U2 are selfish and opportunistic, trying to make the Grammy awards their own springboard to publicize their new single when Vertigo should have been appropriate.

2. Grammy execs won't nominate the song next year because "well, U2 already played it last year so if we nominate it this year and let it win - they'd look crazy playing the same song for two years or to not play their song that won --- so let's not nominate them to save the trouble"

3. The Grammies should showcase the nominated songs, so the entire world and the music critics will know how good/bad the tastes of the Grammy execs are.

4. Vertigo, being 3 minutes long, is perfect for those Grammy awards because every second counts in an awards show like that to favor the advertisers who have paid big bucks to get slots. Sometimes is way too long, and if they cut it short, it would lose much of its power.

If they play Sometimes in this Grammy, it will be a blunder of the greatest proportion and will virtually guarantee them getting the cold shoulder in next year's Grammies.

Cheers,

J

Last edited:
jick said:
[

2. Grammy execs won't nominate the song next year because "well, U2 already played it last year so if we nominate it this year and let it win - they'd look crazy playing the same song for two years or to not play their song that won --- so let's not nominate them to save the trouble"

If they play Sometimes in this Grammy, it will be a blunder of the greatest proportion and will virtually guarantee them getting the cold shoulder in next year's Grammies.

Cheers,

J [/B]

Of course ´OOTS´ will be nominated next year, so don´t worry about this Jick;)

Walk On was nominated there is a big difference. Beautiful Day was nominated the year before. They will play Vertigo and I have no problem with them playing Vertigo either.

I think U2 should rock the house down at this year's Grammys by playing Vertigo, since it is the song they are actually nominated for and the album as a whole wasn't eligible this year. They can play Sometimes at next year's Grammys.

11265u2rehearsal.jpg

Well as much as Id like to hear sometimes for personal reasons I think it is a big mistake playing it.

Back
Top Bottom