MERGED ----> Salome Outtakes + what are soul brothers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcrobatMan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
what are soul brothers

i found a mp3 CD which had these songs in folder "Soul Brother - Unreleased"

what are soul brothers? i must admit i never had heard any bsides of U2..are these bsides or what ??

the song list is

U:\U2\Soul Brother - Unreleased\U2 - 01 - Montgomery's Visit.mp3
U:\U2\Soul Brother - Unreleased\U2 - 02 - Get You Down.mp3
U:\U2\Soul Brother - Unreleased\U2 - 03 - Wake Up (Pt.1).mp3
U:\U2\Soul Brother - Unreleased\U2 - 04 - Stearing Wheel.mp3
U:\U2\Soul Brother - Unreleased\U2 - 05 - Feel Free!.mp3
U:\U2\Soul Brother - Unreleased\U2 - 06 - Did You Wanna!.mp3
U:\U2\Soul Brother - Unreleased\U2 - 08 - Doctor, Doctor!.mp3
U:\U2\Soul Brother - Unreleased\U2 - 09 - Don't Say Goodbye.mp3
U:\U2\Soul Brother - Unreleased\U2 - 10 - Heaven And Hell.mp3
U:\U2\Soul Brother - Unreleased\U2 - 11 - Get Together Now.mp3
U:\U2\Soul Brother - Unreleased\U2 - 12 - High As A Kite (Salome).mp3
U:\U2\Soul Brother - Unreleased\U2 - 13 - Jitterburg Baby.mp3

sorry for the stupid question..i never heard these songs before...although i have heard ALL U2 albums

anyway news U2 songs for me...WOW..

Hello,

Looking at the tracklisting this seems like yet another issue of the Achtung Baby working tapes. So it is a bootleg with a part of the infamous Berlin sessions of 1990/1991.

I hope this answers your question.

C ya!

Marty

yeah, although some of those song titles i'm unfamiliar with. i really wish there was a definite song title for each song instead of people just guessing. :mad:

the achtung baby outtakes are a three disc set, and this seems to be songs picked from the compilation, not just one disc.

Go get the book U2 at the End of the World by Bill Flanagan. It'll explain a lot.

Also, Marty will be back later to explain a lot, too. Listen to him. He is wise beyond his cuteness.

Ok, now I'm just shamelessly flirting with someone else in your thread. Sorry.

who knows why they didn't release the other songs, it's probably the same reason why it took them six years to release wake up dead man.

as for the infamous berlin sessions, i think they're infamous mainly because of the fact that they almost broke up the band.

Hello,

Oh dear, there are a lot of questions in this thread. :ohmy: I'll try to answer them but please remember that even though I'm a U2 freak I don't know everything. :p

Khanada was wondering about definite song titles. Nope, they don't exist. U2 has never released this stuff officially, so all the fans can do is guess what an appropriate title is. But have you ever seen 2 (or more) U2 fans agree on something, let alone a title of an unreleased song? Me neither. ;)

AcrobatMan said:
why didnt U2 release these songs in achtung baby & or in another album..

Actually, a large part of the songs on Soul Brother were released in one form or the other. You also have to keep in mind that the bootlegged sessions often contain several versions of a song in progress.
On the album you've found Feel Free! is an early version of Until The End Of The World, Did You Wanna! later became Where Did It All Go Wrong (B-side of the EBTTRT-single). Doctor, Doctor! and Heaven And Hell evolved from the same jam (and the 'organ sound' was used later in Your Blue Room), just like Get Together Now and High As A Kite (Salome) are from the same jam. That one became Salome (B-side of EBTTRT single). As for Get You Down, I'm not sure (as I haven't heard the actual track), but I think that one is an early form of Ultra Violet/Lady With The Spinning Head/The Fly. Yep, three songs for the price of one. :tongue:
BTW, a complete description of the 3CD set, with working titles and lyrics, can be found on the Achtung Baby Working Tapes Compendium.

This site will probably also have the answers to your other questions. However, I'll try to answer them as good as I can.

are these U2's original song..

Short answer: Yes.

what are the infamous Berlin sessions of 1990/1991 ?

why was it INfamous ?

For that I really have to refer you to the Compendium (remember that for every thing U2 has done someone has dedicated a website to :D ). Khanada gave the short answer, the website tells you the rest. My only small addition to the short answer is that the sessions are also infamous because material has leaked out and been bootlegged.

Martha, I cannot address your comments. I'm blushing too much! :faint:

:flirt:

:wave:

C ya!

Marty

marty is right about a lot of the songs morphing into songs that appeared either on achtung baby or as a b-side, etc. when you look at the full three disc version, there's only a handful of songs that didn't become something else, and for me, once i saw the list, i could really hear it. (the site mentions to listen to certain parts and you can hear familiar riffs or lyrics, like one song has the line "midnight is where the day begins.")

i really like the demos, but i'd try to get the full three disc set if i were you. if you go to the mp3 forum, i know most of the ftps listed more than likely have all three discs, i can vouch that sicy does, as that's where i got mine. :) (thanks again sicy!)

and i know this question wasn't asked, but my favourite song from the outtakes would be one of the versions of blow your house down. i'm not sure which version, i have it labelled as "wake up dead man/blow your house down." it's on disc two, and starts off like "she smokes..." it's track 11.

i also like take you down, off disc three, because the music is identical to lady with the spinning head. go ahead. sing the lyrics to that instead, you'll find they fit perfectly.

Hello,

There's also a six or seven disc version of the sessions. However, you're advised to just look for the 3-disc version. No, I haven't heard it (the 7-disc version that is), but from the descriptions I've read it's only has 37,962 extra versions of Salome (mostly drumtracks). I think that listening to this stuff will UNmake you a U2 fan, even the 3-disc version is hard to listen to at times.

My favourite version would also be one of the She's Gonna Blow Your House Down versions, the second one (with the really teeth-grinding thundering guitar intro). And Don't Let The Bastards Grind You Down, the original version of Acrobat.

C ya!

Marty

P.S. Khanada, I looked behind me, but I didn't see you. :sexywink:

Popmartijn said:
As for Get You Down, I'm not sure (as I haven't heard the actual track), but I think that one is an early form of Ultra Violet/Lady With The Spinning Head/The Fly. Yep, three songs for the price of one. :tongue:

[/B]

it sounds like ACROBAT ( one of my fav song) and bit like FLY at the end.

meanwhile let me visit the website u have referred..

thanks

u all :kiss: are so nice

AcrobatMan said:
had edge's divorce to do with "almost" break-up of the band ?

No, not really. The tensions within the band were mainly caused because of musical differences. And this time it really were musical differences (thus not like a cover-up for a different reason). The members felt they weren't communicating on the same musical level.
Basically, there were 2 camps: the Hats (Bono and The Edge) and the Haircuts (Adam and Larry). The Hats wanted to radically reform the musical style of U2 while the Haircuts argued that you shouldn't force U2 to be different just to be different. In the end it all worked out OK though as one camp realised that they could sound different without losing the special 'U2' quality and the other camp realised that even when it sounds like U2 it can still be different.

IIRC, Edge's divorce became an issue after the band had 'kissed and made up' and had returned to Dublin to complete the record. This did have an effect on the lyrics though.

C ya!

Marty

AcrobatMan said:
it sounds like ACROBAT ( one of my fav song) and bit like FLY at the end.

Ah, that's also possible. The demo of Acrobat is one of my favs from those sessions. Raw as a recently slaughtered sheep, yummi! :huh: (sorry, don't want to offend any vegetarians here, so for the record, I don't like meat of sheep)

meanwhile let me visit the website u have referred..

Please do, it has so much more information than I ever can give. But should you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask them. :wink:

u all :kiss: are so nice

You're welcome! :hug:

Marty (who likes a 'soft and cuddly U2')

P.S. All this talk has made me interested again in those sessions. I think I'll have a listen to them tonight. :dance:

Popmartijn said:
There's also a six or seven disc version of the sessions. However, you're advised to just look for the 3-disc version. No, I haven't heard it (the 7-disc version that is), but from the descriptions I've read it's only has 37,962 extra versions of Salome (mostly drumtracks). I think that listening to this stuff will UNmake you a U2 fan, even the 3-disc version is hard to listen to at times.
omigor! that's insane! it's so funny to see how much they worked on this one song that didn't even make it onto the album! and from the versions i've heard, i don't think any of them sound like the versions they released as b-sides. i wonder if they had just left salome alone, if the album would've been finished earlier? :laugh:

Popmartijn said:
P.S. Khanada, I looked behind me, but I didn't see you. :sexywink:
:lmao: i must've run to the bathroom.

The Salome Outtakes

Hi there, people. Does anyone here know much about the Salome outtakes, 'cause if so, then maybe you can help me...

I've been downloading some songs off KaZaA, trying to find as many of the outtakes from this "blueprint" to Achtung Baby, enough so that I can make a cd worth of it. The songs I have so far are...

Boomerang 2
Heaven and Hell
Montgomery's Visit
Salome
Laughing in the Face of Danger
Take Today
Where Did it All Go Wrong?
I Feel Free
Did You Want It
Morning Child/ Don't Turn Around
Sweet Baby Jane
Doctor Doctor
pre-Ultraviolet (not sure of the song title, but it's got the lyrics "wake up! wake up!")
I Feel Free II
Chances Away
High as a Kite
Take You Down
Snake Charmer
She's Gonna Turn Your Head
Jitterbug Baby
Don't Say Goodbye

Maybe it can be a 2-disc collection. Anyway, are these all of the songs? Is there any order by which they should follow?? Are any of these tracks not from the Salome period? Any help would be most appreciated :yes:

Thanks in advance!

Over & Out

Last edited:
Boomerang II is a B-side from the unforgettable fire....

Did you want it and Where did it all go wrong are the same song but different lyrics......You can buy where did it all go wrong on the Even Better than the real thing single

Laughing in the Face of Love.......not danger

She's gonna turn your head is "She's gonna blow your house down"

There are a couple of more songs you could have....Even Better than the real thing instrumental...take today instrumental

i think that is it..your collection is a definately good start

Re: The Salome Outtakes

Catman said:
pre-Ultraviolet (not sure of the song title, but it's got the lyrics "wake up! wake up!")
it could be "take you down," which is also sometimes labelled as "wake up dead man." does it feature bono singing through each channel (i mean he's singing one thing in the left speaker, and another in the right?) and then he sings the same through both? also, the music is pretty identical to lady with the spinning head, through which we got "the fly" and "ultraviolet."

he does also say "wake up! wake up! wake up dead man" a lot, which is why i would think it is this one. however, you already have the song "take you down" listed, so i'm not sure.

if it isn't this song, then it's probably one of the versions of "she's gonna turn your head around," also known as "blow your house down," also known as "wake up dead man." (yes, possibly the same wake up dead man on pop, the band has mentioned they've kicked the song around since achtung baby/zooropa, but it completely transformed during pop.)

hope any of this helps!

oh btw, have you downloaded the 2,000 versions of salome? :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom