MERGED ----> rumor about U2 and Rush playing Toronto Sars show + Glad U2 didn't...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't really think U2 will sign on. they are pretty busy these days and i wouldn't really want to see them with most of the other people on this bill anyway.

womanfish said:
and i wouldn't really want to see them with most of the other people on this bill anyway.
Why not? It's not like they'd have to sing with Justin Timberlake or anything. Is it beneath them to perform at the same venue as the Stones and the others?

Glad U2 didnt play Toronto SARS show!

i am so glad U2 didnt play the TO SARS show. Sars has killed a few thousand people worldwide. Yes that is alot of people. But if you look at the big picture that number is tiny, it wouldnt even show up on the radar screens of reason for deaths in the world.

Bono has championed AIDS and debt relief to no end, and has done a fantastic job at it. Why would he make his cause (which is much better) look not as important. Why isnt the Stones and ACDC doing concerts for Pneamunia (kills 2.2 million a year) or hunger or AIDS.

Its all about the money and that is why most of those bands are there. U2 did the smart thing and didnt go. Big deal Toronto is having a bad tourist season. Well last time i checked half the bloody contintent of Africa is being wiped out. I would have rather seen this concert take place for reasons other then money, which it clearly all about!

Last edited:
bonoman, I agree with you to some extent - SARS is a blip on the radar and a virus that is new, but over time will be shown to have a low mortality rate.

However, all the profits (after the sale of t-shirts, etc) as well as $1/ticket will go to Mount Sinai Hospital for the SARS taskforce. These people are doing extraordinary work, putting their lives at risk every day unlike you and I, and I believe they deserve the funding to continue doing their jobs well and to protect the rest of us who may at some point be affected. These are nurses who have been overworked, underpaid, quarantined, had to work under horribly draconian rules the past few months (I work in the ER saturdays, I know what hell it is in those masks, to clear security and so on), who actually got sick, spent days in critical care with their families worried out of their minds. I've had professors quarantined, my labs cancelled, students kicked out of hospitals with their thesis data still there and so on.

The health care workers did a brilliant job, and they deserve the proceeds no matter how you feel about U2 playing or not playing there. I live here, I know what these people have sacrificed.

^ yes it is.....just kidding.:D

But I think they have more important things to worry about like the AIDS and the whole Debt issue to take on a new charity event. Not that it's a bad 'cause since some of the ticket sales will go to Mt. Sinai SARS unit but, with all the other headliners, enough money will be raised and I'm sure all the tickets will be sold.

anitram said:
bonoman, I agree with you to some extent - SARS is a blip on the radar and a virus that is new, but over time will be shown to have a low mortality rate.

However, all the profits (after the sale of t-shirts, etc) as well as $1/ticket will go to Mount Sinai Hospital for the SARS taskforce. These people are doing extraordinary work, putting their lives at risk every day unlike you and I, and I believe they deserve the funding to continue doing their jobs well and to protect the rest of us who may at some point be affected. These are nurses who have been overworked, underpaid, quarantined, had to work under horribly draconian rules the past few months (I work in the ER saturdays, I know what hell it is in those masks, to clear security and so on), who actually got sick, spent days in critical care with their families worried out of their minds. I've had professors quarantined, my labs cancelled, students kicked out of hospitals with their thesis data still there and so on.

The health care workers did a brilliant job, and they deserve the proceeds no matter how you feel about U2 playing or not playing there. I live here, I know what these people have sacrificed.

well said, anitram :up:

Very well said Antrim!

I totally agree with you our health care workers have done a wonderful job. They deserve a private concert themselves!!

Underpaid...i wouldnt go that far. Nurses and Doctors make pretty good money. Plus they were working BIG OT hours.

But really shouldnt our gov't be able to step up to the plate. We are one of the best and richest countries in the world, should we need a charity gig to raise funds? Maybe Jean and the Liberals should fork over the cash.

I dont disagree with you that the intentions of some are good but this Concert only boils down to money and that sickens me.

bonoman said:
Underpaid...i wouldnt go that far. Nurses and Doctors make pretty good money. Plus they were working BIG OT hours.

Nurses make shit money for the job they do. Do you want to go get paid $30/hour to clean up shit and vomit and give bath to a 90 year old man covered in pussy, bleeding sores? I sure as hell wouldn't.

While the SARS thing was on, the nurses were dropping on their feet from OT. They brought in temp agency workers, paid them $100 / hour and there was an outrage. The Gov't dropped the ball on this one.

bonoman said:

I dont disagree with you that the intentions of some are good but this Concert only boils down to money and that sickens me.
Part of the intent is to compensate health care workers for lost wages while they were on quarantine. But the other big factor is to try and revive the entire tourism industry. Now maybe that sounds sickening, but when you think about the people who are working in that industry, it's more than just big rich fat cat owners. You're talking about waiters, waitresses, chambermaids, bellboys, taxis, airport workers.....everything. The last estimate I heard was that Toronto had lost about $100 million in tourism dollars. The impact of the whole thing has affected more than Toronto. Surrounding areas, such as Niagara Falls, have also taken a huge hit.

Besides that, it would be cool to see U2 again.

anitram said:

Nurses make shit money for the job they do. Do you want to go get paid $30/hour to clean up shit and vomit and give bath to a 90 year old man covered in pussy, bleeding sores? I sure as hell wouldn't.

While the SARS thing was on, the nurses were dropping on their feet from OT. They brought in temp agency workers, paid them $100 / hour and there was an outrage. The Gov't dropped the ball on this one.

Or you could get $20 a hour to work your fingers to the bone on a oil rig. Swallow a litre of oil a day. Work so hard your entire body aches. Injure yourslef to no end. Work 10-12-14-16 hour days! (just to show that every job has its downsides, i'm not putting down a nurse but $30/hr is ALOT of money!)

And i agree the gov't did drop this one...like they drop everything!

ryancoke said:

Part of the intent is to compensate health care workers for lost wages while they were on quarantine. But the other big factor is to try and revive the entire tourism industry. Now maybe that sounds sickening, but when you think about the people who are working in that industry, it's more than just big rich fat cat owners. You're talking about waiters, waitresses, chambermaids, bellboys, taxis, airport workers.....everything. The last estimate I heard was that Toronto had lost about $100 million in tourism dollars. The impact of the whole thing has affected more than Toronto. Surrounding areas, such as Niagara Falls, have also taken a huge hit.

Besides that, it would be cool to see U2 again.

I totally understand what your saying but this concert is apparently for 'SARS'. They are attaching the name to this concert to attract more people (or maybe scare them away) but they are using this disease as a slogan. In my opinon it looks as if the gov't should be doing alot more. Not just waiting around.

I'm all for the concert but have it to attract people not to exploite SARS, because during the week of that concert another outbreak could happen and another 100 could be dead. Then what?

bonoman said:

I'm all for the concert but have it to attract people not to exploite SARS, because during the week of that concert another outbreak could happen and another 100 could be dead. Then what?
That's why I'm going to sew one of these:
rollingstonespatch.jpg

onto one of these:
mask.jpg
when I go to the show.

bonoman said:
i'm not putting down a nurse but $30/hr is ALOT of money!)

People in factories and oil rigs don't watch a 3 year old child dying in agony day after day.

$30 is nothing to watch people die. Just saying.

As for wearing a mask to the event, that's pretty silly. In fact, one of the misconceptions of the SARS outbreak the second time around is that it was in the general population. It was not, it was contained to hospitals and health centres and old people who were already immunocompromised. There is absolutely nothing that would indicate the show would put people at risk.

ryancoke said:

Why not? It's not like they'd have to sing with Justin Timberlake or anything. Is it beneath them to perform at the same venue as the Stones and the others?

In a word.... Yes. The Stones are great, don't get me wrong. But them along with AC/DC and Rush it's like a wheelchair convention. Other than the fact that SARS is nothing compared to much more serious issues out there, I don't like to see U2 lumped into the "classic rock" over the hill bands like many that are on this bill.

the term SARS is being used by toronto because of the immediate link people around the world who are looking to travel spots have made between the disease and the city. for people in asia, europe and the u.s. this summer toronto (normally a renowned city to visit, especially since many know family) = SARS. and thats unfortunate. they can't deny the linkage that exists so they may as well utilize it.

as for money...while the feds definitely missed the boat in terms of the initial emergency funding for both healthcare and tourism, this concert is definitely a good backend solution. the multiplier effect of that kind of attraction (im assuming it will sell out to a fairly large non-local crowd) will be huge and awesome. the concert will make newscasts around the world. distribution deals have already been negotiated for tv and radio as well as a tv special to be shown in the weeks following (all of that is subject to the stones approval).

though i have zero interest in going...i think its a great idea-at this point.

womanfish said:

In a word.... Yes. The Stones are great, don't get me wrong. But them along with AC/DC and Rush it's like a wheelchair convention. Other than the fact that SARS is nothing compared to much more serious issues out there, I don't like to see U2 lumped into the "classic rock" over the hill bands like many that are on this bill.

U2 would be lucky, and i think, excited to sing with these people. Even though i dont think they should go to the concert, ACDC and the Stones are two of the greatest and timeless bands around!!

Oh and U2 is Classic Rock!
And New pop/rock
How many bands can say that...its something they should be proud of!

Back
Top Bottom